Eurodam - Corner Aft vs suite upgrade?

DaveOKC

I am getting ready to make my final payment next week and was wondering if I should mark my reservation DO NOT UPGRADE or not.

I have a corner aft (deluxe suite) on Deck 4 reserved - Category SC. If they decide to upgrade me, I am assuming that it would be to at least a SB or even an SA cabin.

Having never sailed in a corner aft cabin, I was wondering what everyone thought - is a FREE upgrade to an SB (or SA) worth it in my situation (Eastern Carb. sailing)?

DaveOKC

Dave to be honest the chance of you getting upgraded are nil to slim. You have already chose a cabin that is Deluxe Verandah. People looking to purchase a Deluxe Verandah are not going to see your cabin as a choice because it is taken. The only way is if someone called HAL and stated I really need that cabin and HAL thought the excuse was valid enough. Otherwise there would be no reason at all for HAL to even move you. ( And trust me HAL will not find any excuse valid to just move you) The only reason HAL would move people is if they need a particular cabin that may have 4 berths. That is mostly done in the lower category cabins such as Inside and Ocean View. HAL worries more about people in the Superior Verandah Suites that they over sold the guarantee that they will take the Up Sell Offer to fill up the remaining Deluxe Suites and not have an over sell on Superior Verandah. Oversell of Deluxe Suites is never their problem.

Personally when it comes to the Signature Class I would actually prefer to be in an SB or better yet SA where the cabins are larger than the corner afts and actually has more usable balcony space.

Now if they still have the Penthouse cabins remaining on your voyage you could get an Up Sell offer about 10 days from the sailing :D

I am getting ready to make my final payment next week and was wondering if I should mark my reservation DO NOT UPGRADE or not.

I have a corner aft (deluxe suite) on Deck 4 reserved - Category SC. If they decide to upgrade me, I am assuming that it would be to at least a SB or even an SA cabin.

Having never sailed in a corner aft cabin, I was wondering what everyone thought - is a FREE upgrade to an SB (or SA) worth it in my situation (Eastern Carb. sailing)?

DaveOKC

Lisa speaks words of wisdom - however, for what it's worth - I WOULD not mark it do not upgrade for the sake of any chance.

We are not aft fans - especially on this class of ship. I far prefer to be more mid ship and as Lisa pointed out better balcony & actually a larger room I believe (not to mention closer to the Neptune Lounge) and more central just in case the ship has any hiccups (aka rough seas).

A deluxe verandah is always great so no worries - but I wouldn't mark it do not upgrade - but that' JMVHO;) for what it's worth:D

In any case, have a fabulous cruise and a wonderful time:)

DaveOKC

I agree its highly unlikely you'll be upgraded. But, I personally disagree that the SB and SA cabins are better. Yes, they are a little bit larger and they are closer to the Neptune Lounge. But, if you like to be outdoors and able to look around, the corner afts are unbeatable. You get a much bigger balcony that has 270 degrees of visibility. You have almost no wind on the back portion of your verandah when at sailing speeds. Something that I really enjoy. You also have 20 or so feet of side verandah if you want a little wind in your face. And, you get a the mesmerizing view and sound of the ship's wake. I absolutely love the aft corner suites on HAL ships. I think they are the best!

But, many people prefer the SA and SBs. I guess there is a reason they are more expensive.

I have not yet been on Eurodam or Nieuw Amsterdam, but I can tell you that the Westerdam equivalent to your corner aft SC was a total treat! But it does depend on your priorities. If your heart leaps at the thought of a huge veranda with expansive views, including the opportunity to sit outside and be mesmerized by the sight and sound of the ship's wake, stick with the corner aft. But if those benefits pale in comparison to the prospect of easy access to the Neptune Lounge and some additional square feet of interior space, by all means leave open the possibility (however unlikely) of an upgrade.

Either way, you'll have a great time. Enjoy!

We have cruised in a corner cabin as well as the SB and SA cabin but we always enjoy the corner for the view. As for the Neptune lounge being closer, a little walk would not hurt as the cruise does offer all that delicious food.

But that only IMHO.

The unfortunately part is the on the Signature Class ships (Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam) the balconies are drastically smaller than on the first three Vista Class ships. The Noordam started to give us a preview of what was coming with the smaller sq footage of balcony space but still was slightly bigger than what is actually on the Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam. While I still love a corner aft, or heck I love an aft cabin I have to say that personally it would not bother me in the least if I had a corner aft and they moved me to an SA on the Rotterdam Deck. The additional space for usable balcony and and more space in the cabin.

The unfortunately part is the on the Signature Class ships (Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam) the balconies are drastically smaller than on the first three Vista Class ships. The Noordam started to give us a preview of what was coming with the smaller sq footage of balcony space but still was slightly bigger than what is actually on the Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam. While I still love a corner aft, or heck I love an aft cabin I have to say that personally it would not bother me in the least if I had a corner aft and they moved me to an SA on the Rotterdam Deck. The additional space for usable balcony and and more space in the cabin.

The one I saw was on the Westerdam so it was probably totally different. I didn't realize that there was such a big difference so thanks for point that out. That said, unless I win the lotto soon I won't ever stay in one:D.

I know lots of people here like those aft suites but not us.

The one time we had an aft suite we were not happy and never again took one...... that was on Princess.

We MUCH prefer being mid-ship in "SA" cabins, near Neptune. :)

JMO......

We had the aft corner on our last cruise. Loved the extra space outside and the ability to lay on the loungers looking forward over the water, not sideways as on some balconies. It was further to the Neptune lounge, but we really don't use it that often. Nice quiet part of the ship at night too! Also a great place to have coffee or dine as you are out of the wind.

Hi ...I know you will enjoy the Eurodam very much.:)

I have actually been in both the corner aft suites on deck 4....we were sailing in the balcony cabin next door to one and took a quick peek debarkation morning.

We love "wake view" cabins....you will see all vistas (just a little after everyone else;)) and the wake gives a wonderful sense of being on the water. Sunrises..sunsets oh my

As to the being close to the Neptune... a lovely spot..but I would never exchange the joys of the wake for coffee and snacks(very good though:)).. there is always room service and the concierge is simply a phone call away.

It is a quiet location...your suite is airy and bright..the balcony is fine..you will not be disappointed..If I were you I would mark no upgrade...oh and deck 4 nothing between you and the water .. simply wonderful. Enjoy your cruise what ever you decide.:):)

Colleen

Thanks to everyone for the replies, even though the opinions are really varied!

I checked my sailing and the SCs are now "guarantee", but the SBs have 6 open cabins and the SAs also have 6. Final payment is still a week or so away, so that could change.

If I was offered an upgrade to an SA, I likely would take it, since it would be close to the Neptune. On the other hand, the SBs are a deck (or a fairly long walk) away from the Neptune, and I do not think they would be worth giving up the aft corner for that.

Still undecided............

DaveOKC

Thanks to everyone for the replies, even though the opinions are really varied!

I checked my sailing and the SCs are now "guarantee", but the SBs have 6 open cabins and the SAs also have 6. Final payment is still a week or so away, so that could change.

If I was offered an upgrade to an SA, I likely would take it, since it would be close to the Neptune. On the other hand, the SBs are a deck (or a fairly long walk) away from the Neptune, and I do not think they would be worth giving up the aft corner for that.

Still undecided............

DaveOKC

Dave in all honesty I would be shocked :eek: if you were offered an upgrade, up sell or a move. I seriously am not a betting person but would bet on this;) Honestly it just does not happen that way. If you are at all considering the move to and SB or SA then I would make it sooner rather than later. The price for the SA and SB will not change between now and sailing. What will change is the pricing on your SC, that will remain a guarantee and be used as the Flash promotion category and will drop in price after Final. That is just the way HAL works. If you are leaning toward wanting the SB or SA then I would move now while selection is still good and definitely before HAL starts to hand out guarantees to those that booked an SC Guarantee because they will get those SA and SB cabins. And definitely before those in the SZ cabins get offers for Up Sell.

Being we have never sailed on the Noordam - Nieuw Amsterdam or the Eurodam, I did not realize they did not have the big aft deck on their cornor suites. Good to know, we stayed in a SB on the Westerdam years ago and it had a huge deck.

As for the Noordam, the stern wraparound (SC) suites have HUGE balconies. At least the one I had (SC5190) did! :)

We have marked no upgrade on our upcoming cruise, because our last three cruises we were in SA. I want to try the SC, and we have the 4th deck booked. I do not mind not being near the NL. It will be nice to have lay down lounger, we are hoping that we will use the balcony more with the SC. We rarely used it with SA due to our cabana rental.

We have marked no upgrade on our upcoming cruise, because our last three cruises we were in SA. I want to try the SC, and we have the 4th deck booked. I do not mind not being near the NL. It will be nice to have lay down lounger, we are hoping that we will use the balcony more with the SC. We rarely used it with SA due to our cabana rental.

I am in the same situation. I assume you are on the Eurodam? I heard that the deck 4 wraps are larger than deck 5s and should be a good size.

DaveOKC

was a delxe suite. They were when we had an aft balcony on deck 7.
The corners are deluxe suites, either SB or SC category, depending on which deck. I think there may be a couple aft SC suites in between the corner suites on one of the decks. Deck 6? Can't remember for sure.

The corners are deluxe suites, either SB or SC category, depending on which deck. I think there may be a couple aft SC suites in between the corner suites on one of the decks. Deck 6? Can't remember for sure.

Each ship is a bit different, but on the Eurodam the SCs are all aft wraps and are on either decks 4, 5 or 6 (so 6 SCs only). The SB wraps are on decks 7 and 8, but most of the SBs are on deck 6 (12 of the 16 SBs).

Therefore, if we were upgraded from an SC to an SB, we likely would end up in a mid-ship deck 6 location, one deck below the Neptune. Plus these 12 cabins are a bit of a walk to the elevators/stairs (to reach the Neptune). IMO, I think the SCs are a better deal than the SBs, since while both are a distance from the Neptune, the SCs have the aft wrap advantage.

Now, if I could be assured of an SA, that would be another story....

DaveOKC

Archived