Greek Cruise out of Venice

Racing fan

It isn't RCCL, but my last cruise was a Greek Isles cruise from Venice on NCL. It pretty much followed the Splendor itinerary. We hit Corfu, Mykonos, Santorini and Izmor, Turkey. It was beautiful and we loved it. There is a review with a lot of pictures in my signature.

Salied out of Venice this past June on Splendour doing 7 days, ports were Bari (Italy), Katakolon, Corfu, and Santorini (Greece) and Kusadasi (Ephesus) Turkey. It was my first Med cruise and had a great time.

Has anyone been on a Greek cruise out of Venice or planning to go next year?

Last year we cruised from Venice to Greece. The best ten night holiday ever on Splendour

In the summer, Splendour now only seems to do 7 night cruises. so this year we did a 12 night Greece and Turkey cruise in the Serenade, also amazing

I did a 12 night cruise from Venice to Rome on Princess. We stopped at six ports in Greece.

Any more questions about it? What exactly would you like to know?

Salied out of Venice this past June on Splendour doing 7 days, ports were Bari (Italy), Katakolon, Corfu, and Santorini (Greece) and Kusadasi (Ephesus) Turkey. It was my first Med cruise and had a great time.

This is exactly our itinerary on Splendour sailing Oct 27th. I have been to Venice on a land vacation. Kusadasi is a repeat port from our Holy Land cruise last year but I'm really looking forward to Santorini which has been on my bucket list forever.

I concur about the spectacular view in and out of Venice. If you do have a balcony on the port side (left) of the ship it will be fabulous! We stayed in our cabin and they had piped music on the tv that we played as we sailed by all the famous sites. It was awesome. Recommend going into Venice a couple days early also. Book rooms early as they can be a bit expensive but it is so nice to see Venice without any hurry to meet ship deadlines. We stayed at the Marriott and the Hilton by the airport which were lower priced than staying on Venice proper. The Marriott had a city bus stop right outside its door and was easy to get to Venice proper and return.

Great thread with some interesting links.

I am also planning a Greek Isles cruise next year, but I am looking at a cruise from Rome, ending in Venice. Its on Celebrity.

Just the costs of getting there from Australia are astronomical!!!!

I'm sailing on Grandeur in October. I have planned private tours for most ports. I'm very excited about the cruise.

We got an excellent price on an outside cabin and airfare.

I keep a journal when we travel and I usually post a review here on CC. I also rate places and guides on Trip Advisor.

Yes, and we LOVED it! It was on HAL, not RCI, but the itinerary was the best. Ours was 12 nights that ended in Barcelona. I highly recommend both Venice and the Greek Isles.

Loved Corfu, Argostoli, and Santorini. Dubrovnik, Croatia was also gorgeous.

And Venice is just magical. Go there a couple days early, ditch the maps, and intentionally get lost in the alleys. It is one of my favorite cities.

• 6 months later...

We did a ten-day cruise from Venice thru the Greek Islands to Kusadasi and back to Athens last October, on Oceania Riviera. Our October weather was great - warm enough to swim in a couple of places we decided to try, but not so hot it was uncomfortable.

All the people who have recommended taking time in Venice are correct. Pay the extra money and enjoy this place for a couple of extra days - you walk the narrow streets or travel by boat. Everything you look at is amazing, no matter where you are. Don't worry about getting lost. It's so small it doesn't take much time to find yourself again.

We found all the ports incredibly crowded, usually five or six huge ships in the same port means ten or twelve thousand tourists on the ground. These ports (Dubrovnik, Santorini, Mykonos especially) are very small, so you will be walking shoulder to shoulder with other tourists, and facing line-ups. I just couldn't take the crush of humanity after awhile, but I found there are other things to see and do on these islands if you're willing to go a different direction. Rick Steeve's Cruise Guide to the Eastern Med was invaluable to me. I had it on my i-Phone, and it always had excellent info and ideas.

BTW, the Oceania cruise cost almost double what the parallel RCI cruise cost and travelled almost exactly the same route. Oceania was very nice, and the food was certainly first-class. However, I don't travel with the primary aim of entertaining my stomach. I found O very over-rated and over-priced, and I'm back in the RCI fold.

We're booked on Splendour departing Venice in Oct this year. Visiting Dubrovnik, Corfu, Santorini, Athens and Katakolon. Being from the UK we have visited many Greek islands for land based vacations including Corfu and Santorini. Looking forward to departing from and arriving into Venice.

Our first cruise which was our honeymoon was 8 nights on splendor from venice around turkey and greek isles. Maybe it was because it was our honeymoon or maybe because it was our first cruise but even just thinking about the breathtaking sail away from venice brings a lump to my throat. So spectacular seeing st marks square from that view. Sail away from dubrovnik is also unmisable. Enjoy.

Archived