Three and four day cruises

Are the ships that do the short 3 or 4 day cruises, (Majesty and Sovereign) kept up with the newer ships, or are they looking tired and worn out? (I mean carpeting, bedding) and the like. Someone on the Disney board was saying there are much less expensive short cruises as compared to Disney, with better food, but the overall condition of the ship is important too. Anyone have the answer?

I was on Majesty in Dec. & thought it looked fine. Sovereign just had a face lift a few months ago so it should be looking pretty good. I have been on Sovereign several times BEFORE the face lift & thought it looked good to me then.

Food on either one was ok, not 5 Star quality but hey I didn't have to cook or clean up so I thought it was great.

Prices should be MUCH lower than Disney......

I'm planning on taking lots of pictures from our cruise on the Sovereign next week. Then you can judge for yourself. :) We haven't been on a cruise before so we'll have nothing to compare it to. But we are certainly excited!

Hi Stoneharborlady -- The Monarch, which was refurbished a couple of years ago, also does 3- and 4-day cruises from Southern California. We were on her last year for our first cruise. While there may have been a little wear and tear, the ship, including our cabin, was immaculate and the service was impeccable! The food was good (among the dining room, the Windjammer, and the pizza/coffee bar, my teen son must have eaten 10 times a day, so apparently it was good enough). Still, I loved being treated so well in the dining room, and, as kc said, at least I didn't have to cook or clean up! It was a great first experience.

Laurie

hi stone harbor lady

Right down the road from you in munhall PA

I have been on both the majesty and soverieng and monarch (before she did 3 day cruises) I will back on majesty in october as a suprise to my wife for enduring 9 months of pregnancy with our first child (it was 1/2 her moms idea who will be watching the little one) they are all wonderful ships with great crews!!!

id be happy to answer any questions

HEY GUYS!!!!!!!:D

mckeesport here!!!

I want to take 3 teens (niece and nephews) who have never cruised on the Soverign. I thought this would perfect for them plus I thought 4 days were great in case they did not like cruising.

Small world !!!:)

Just sailed on Majesty over mother's day. Other than a few cosmetic issues, a couple of stains on the carpet, etc.., the ship is in great shape! We thought the food was good. But as previously mentioned...any food I don't have to prepare or clean up after is good to me!

Sovereign is in great shape after the refurb. last December. We loved our 4 day cruise, it was MUCH better than we expected. THis was about our 8th cruise and only our 2nd short one, but it was very nice, would be happy to be back on her right NOW. :)

I've gone on a 3 day cruise to the Bahamas. It was our first cruise. Some other passengers said the ship appeared worn, but for us we didn't know any different and nothing appeared broken. The ship was clean. Some areas seemed high traffic.

I guess if these boats are turning around thousands of customers every three to four days, they might show more wear than others. I didn't notice.

My husband and I are going on our first cruise next year and decided on the Majesty because of the length and itinerary. We've never been away from our daughters (they'll be 15 & 17 when we sail)......so we thought the shorter cruise might be better for us. Plus, the idea of the Bahamas isn't a bad thing. ;)

Greensburg, PA here. We are going on our first 4 night cruise on the Soveriegn in August. Seems like it should be a great time.....The people on this board are great with all the info. Thanks to all!!!

BOB!!!!!!

What's your story? How have you been on so many cruises? Work for cruiselines? Live in a port city? That's a more than impressive list.

Sher

I don't know how he does it, but I sure would like to be his new best friend!!:) He travels like I would like to---all the time! How 'bout it Bob--need a new friend?

I wouldn't go on the CCL Ecstasy anytime soon (been to Ensenada too many times). That ship used to do the 3-4 day Mexico cruises. Now the Paradise does that route, and I've been on that ship when it was a non-smoking ship. It was great. I haven't been since they brought it to the west coast, but thought it was a nice ship in 2000. LOL wow that was a long time ago.

The Monarch is a nice ship too. It's nicer than the paradise. I'd book it (in fact we're this close :::holds fingers close together::::) to booking it in Jan 06.

Whichever you choose, you'll have a good time. I'm jealous :D

I've taken the 4 day cruises on Majesty and Sovereign and I liked the Majesty better- no particular reason,just the atmosphere seemed better- happier somehow. Both ships were in fine condition. No complaints....well,if I had to name one it would be the coffee- every ship I have been on seems to have the strongest/bitter coffee. Did they buy a truckload of it?

We chose the Majesty for the extra stop in Key West. We are talking our daughters along (their first time cruising). With the 4 of us going, getting separate cabins for them, the price of the cruise doesn't hurt our wallet. :)

I was on the Sovereign re-inaugural in December and have pics of the entire ship posted at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/rdeagazio

Enjoy

Wow, great shots of the SOS. I was concerned about her age, I am going on June 10th. Taking a friend who is in desparate need of a break from 2 children. My hubby is treating us. I did not know about the refurb. When was it done?

We have a Jr suite on hold.

Can you e-mail me at Htorina@torinamedia.com. I have a question for you. Thanks

I live in southern California so the three and four day trip to Ensenada on the Monarch works great and it is booking like crazy. Monarch works but we need a radiance class ship out here. Vision does the seven day Mexico trip but it sure would be nice if a radiance or voyager ship could do the seven day Mexico and the Vision the three and four day trips.

Robin

I guess if these boats are turning around thousands of customers every three to four days, they might show more wear than others.

I've seen this sentiment before, and honestly I don't understand it. If it's one 7 day sailing or a 3 day and a 4 day sailing a ship still is sailing for 7 days a week with a load of people each day.

-Monte

Bob, I'm with you! I would love to see a Radiance class ship home ported in LA! I drive by every day and always look forward to seeing the Monarch.

Monte, the 3-4 cruises are harder on the ships because they are party cruises, particularly the 3-day weekend cruises. People drink more, spill more, hurl more, put their cigarettes out in the carpet more, etc. Let's not even discuss what they do more of in their staterooms!:eek:

DH works with a guy who is Coast Guard reserve. When the Carnival Ecstasy was sailing out of Long Beach, he said they would just hose it down after each cruise. Quite gross.

The Monarch is really well kept inspite of all the activity. The crew work like dogs to keep her clean. Of course, if they worked like MY dogs, they would just lounge around on a sofa all day and the ship would be filthy, but you get my drift.:D

Archived