PRINSENDAM..INSIDE CABINS (M or MM)

oldpharmguy

Bud, that in real estate the best option is getting the lowest price home in the most expensive area.

With that ideal, I now book the best ships in the cheapest cabin. Spending $2200 more for a view of the ocean, as you will be out of sight of land 95% of the time You can go up to the prominade deck or crows nest,

Save the $2200 for experiences out side the cabin... That is what I would do....

Dan, good to hear from you. I know your position on this subject and in most cases I agree with you, but Prinsendam insides sound very small as tjcox9 has stated. What about inside on upper promenade deck (I)? Bud & Marianne

That's a good suggestion - There are a couple of I class cabins that are very large (they were originally superior verandahs and converted at the last drydock I believe).

are the old royal viking config with one bed transverse and the other logitudnal.. picture at right angles to each other

Sailed on Royal Viking and they were fine Holland America has rebiult many cabins and re designed then so I can not say for sure. But I think they left the inside alone Look at the diagarams Ihe I might be both paralell config

Bon journey Bud.... I am now sailing an inside from Hong Kong to LA 43 days on Amsterdam. next OCT. "Insides forever". ...sail longer not higher is my motto.... or once you try an inside you are spoiled for ever..I could never go back to a penthouse...:D

The inside cabins on the Prinsendam do have the beds in a perpendicular configuration. Our TA had a large group on the the Prinsendam. The cost to upgrade to an outside was VERY reasonable, so everyone but 2 took the upgrade. Those two who didn't were the only ones who complained about their cabin. We've peeked into the inside cabins as disembarking. They ARE small.

We normally love the inside cabins as we can get a shower stall with them. On the Prinsendam we can get that in an outside (they alternate between shower stalls and tubs), so we book outsides when sailing on her.

That's a good suggestion - There are a couple of I class cabins that are very large (they were originally superior verandahs and converted at the last drydock I believe).
But those two (225 & 226) are HC cabins, and shouldn't be booked unless you need one.

Dan, good to hear from you. I know your position on this subject and in most cases I agree with you, but Prinsendam insides sound very small as tjcox9 has stated. What about inside on upper promenade deck (I)? Bud & Marianne
Recently someone reported I234 to be very large (estimated at 230 sq ft) and on the deck plans I228/230/232 look to me to be the same size as 234. I'll try to find the post that reported the 230 sq ft number.

edit: found it:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=35200204&postcount=3

Has anyone had an inside cabin (M or MM) on the Prinsendam? We booked a guarantee. The price difference between inside and Ocean-view for our cruise is $1,100 per person. Is it worth the difference?

How long is your cruise? If not too many days, it might not matter much, but if a longer one, it might be better to get a bigger cabin. My friend and I were in M504, for 26 days, with the perpendicular beds, and it was small. She was very tall, and her feet were up against my head in the other bed. She had to sleep with her legs curled up a little so that she wouldn't hit me. You cannot put the beds together. We did have the one chair in the room removed so that we had a little more space. The good points were that the closet was a walk-in, and was quite large. The bathroom was also large, with a long bathtub which had a showerhead in it. The tub area was great for drying clothes, as it was so long.

We also had a guarantee, but weren't upgraded. Some people who had booked through a corporate travel agent received an upsell from an inside to an outside for $100.00 per person. I also met others who received an upsell offer, but I did not, and I didn't think to ask about one.

But those two (225 & 226) are HC cabins, and shouldn't be booked unless you need one.

Recently someone reported I234 to be very large (estimated at 230 sq ft) and on the deck plans I228/230/232 look to me to be the same size as 234. I'll try to find the post that reported the 230 sq ft number.

edit: found it:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=35200204&postcount=3

Thanks John - I wasn't trying to recommend an HC cabin:eek: The Future Cruise Consultant told one of our roll call members that all the insides I cabins on that deck were a really good size;) and recommended that deck to them.

We're home again. I've changed our cabin selection from M to I. Thanks to all who responded to my OP. I category are on Promenade & Upper Promenade and either would probably be ok, but would prefer Upper Prom. Kirk, if you remember after your July cruise would you tell me your thoughts on the cabin. If you prefer, you can e-mail to oldpharmguy@comcast.net . Thanks Bud & Marianne

We're home again. I've changed our cabin selection from M to I. Thanks to all who responded to my OP. I category are on Promenade & Upper Promenade and either would probably be ok, but would prefer Upper Prom. Kirk, if you remember after your July cruise would you tell me your thoughts on the cabin. If you prefer, you can e-mail to oldpharmguy@comcast.net . Thanks Bud & Marianne

I would be happy to, you might need to remind me, I am over 50 :(.

There are only a few of the huge I cabins, and you would have to book the exact cabin, not just any I cabin. When I found out about the few huge I's I called and booked the one that had been recommended. Within days all of the huge non HC cabins were booked. This was over a year ago, and the cruise isn't until next March.

I had planned to book an outside until I heard about the huge I's. I knew I wouldn't be able to stand being in a small cabin. For me the most important is space, even though I travel solo.

Good luck,

donna

Archived