Passenger overboard on Allure yesterday! (9/16/12)

If they were higher it would lessen the chances of people going overboard. regardless of others opinion, I (key word) still think they should be a bit higher.

They are already pretty high. Making them higher wouldn't solve anything. Poncho1973 nailed it in his post.

The balconies are glass/plastic/whatever they are made of, they are clear and Does not hinder cruisers from looking out into the ocean.

Screw that, I like a balcony because it's a balcony. If I want to look trough glass Ill go to a bar or to the solarium. The entire point of the balcony if to feel the breeze and the freedom.

People should have a better sense of common sense and they should be careful while at the balcony, thats all. Don't play around in them.

And thats your opinion

Screw that, I like a balcony because it's a balcony. If I want to look trough glass Ill go to a bar or to the solarium. The entire point of the balcony if to feel the breeze and the freedom.

People should have a better sense of common sense and they should be careful while at the balcony, thats all. Don't play around in them.

If they were higher it would lessen the chances of people going overboard. regardless of others opinion, I (key word) still think they should be a bit higher.

It will not hinder someone that wants to go overboard.

The only thing that could possibly hinder that might be cages and barbed wire.

My husband and I were on the Allure when this incident happened last week. We actually did not find out what had happened until Monday morning when the captain came on the PA announcing that we had not reached Bahamas and would be going straight to St. Marteen.

The passengers and crew were quiet on the Monday, probably because of the shock and tragedy. I know we were. It is not something i wish upon anybody. I agree with a lot of you that it is almost impossible to "accidentally" fall off the balcony. The railing is so high and why would you risk doing anything silly around the balcony is beyond me.

My thoughts and prayers to the family.

Agreed, one of the main reasons I get a balcony is to FEEL the breeze. Make the railings much higher and I might as well book an Oceanview.

Regardless of what the cruise lines do people will still do things they shouldn't. It goes back to things like adding "caution contents hot" to a coffee cup. People no longer have common sense.

There is a post on the Carnival boards that Allure did not call the USCG for 2 hours after the fact. I hope this isn't true

Why wouldn't it be true? From my understanding, as soon as a missing person has been reported, the cruise line has a responsibility to identify who has gone missing before reporting it to the appropriate authorities, as they need to ascertain whether the reports are true. The report, from my understanding, was made at 9:30pm, the ship made the final announcement at around 11:30pm at which time they commenced the search at sea along with the US Coast Guard and a couple of other ships who were in the area. It would have been irresponsible for the cruise line to report a missing person only to find them on board. However, if I am wrong, I will be happy to accept it.

If the ship was parked in the desert and didn't have pools, no one would drown.

If the ship didn't have glass or a pool deck, no one would get a sunburn.

If the ship didn't serve food, no one would get food poisoning.

If the ship didn't have passengers, no passengers would get seasick.

At what point do you put the responsibility on the person on the ship? I understand that common sense seems to be a misnomer these days, but seriously, these things aren't happening by chance.

I walk up, see a hot burner, and put my hand on a hot stove burner. This is self-inflicted, not an accident.

I walk up, see a hot burner, and start waving my hand as close to the hot burner as I can, swooshing and spinning dangerously above it. I slip and put my hand on the hot stove burner. This is stupidity, not an accident.

This isn't someone accidentally touching a hot burner that deserves precautions to be implemented. This is intentional WHETHER OR NOT THE OUTCOME WAS THE INTENDED ONE.

............maybe the cruise ship should issue safety body harnesses that will clip onto a set of wires that ring each deck and must be connected inorder to open the door to access the sitting area. If the harness lead should become unattached than a spring loaded wall immediately comes down to block any access to possibly going overboard. Rube Goldberg has a working model......:cool:

Archived