Passenger overboard on Allure yesterday! (9/16/12)

So very sad to hear. Looks like the sailing has an active Roll Call so I'm sure we will get some reports when they return.

Never heard any resolution on the Carnival man overboard from a few weeks ago. Still can't wrap my head around him deliberately jumping off and Aquahound seemed to have some intel but if he was able to share it, I missed it. Hopefully we will get some closure on this. It's simply unfathomable to me how anyone can "fall off." Suicide, sad but plausible. I hope this girl's family and friends find peace.

I did a research paper on a man that went missing on one of the other RCCL cruises, there was blood on the balcony and the wife had been out that night with other two gentlemen at a bar, big write up, they were on their honeymoon. Never saw a conclusion to this!

Check again - private settlements were made some time ago.

So very sad to hear. Looks like the sailing has an active Roll Call so I'm sure we will get some reports when they return.

Never heard any resolution on the Carnival man overboard from a few weeks ago. Still can't wrap my head around him deliberately jumping off and Aquahound seemed to have some intel but if he was able to share it, I missed it. Hopefully we will get some closure on this. It's simply unfathomable to me how anyone can "fall off." Suicide, sad but plausible. I hope this girl's family and friends find peace.

Maybe Aquahound will jump on this thread.

Because of the time spent searching, Allure was unable to make its scheduled port of call to Nassau, Bahamas, on Monday, September 17. The ship will instead spend the day at sea and will arrive in St. Maarten on Wednesday, September 19, as scheduled.

I wonder if they meant St Thomas, that is the normal Wednesday stop unless they are changing the intinerary. Its oddly coincidental that I was looking at the Cruisemate app early this morning and it showed the ship as still being between FLL and Nassau with Majesty nearby. I just assumed slow update to the app.

I did a research paper on a man that went missing on one of the other RCCL cruises, there was blood on the balcony and the wife had been out that night with other two gentlemen at a bar, big write up, they were on their honeymoon. Never saw a conclusion to this!

Really? At least one, but I think two made for TV movies about it. Hollywood yes, but I do believe it was pretty accurate. Also read an investigative report on it that seemed in line with the movie. Wife was portrayed pretty badly, but it appeared her behavior was pretty bad. I think they both made some poor decisions on the cruise and paid for it in the end.

I feel bad for this woman's family. But did anyone else catch that RCI's security cameras caught this? The woman apparently fell from her balcony (since the article said she was "in her cabin") at almost 9:30pm... it should be pretty dark by that point. That means not only does RCI have cameras looking at balconies, they also have night vision.

Some of you might want to keep that in mind.

I have the hardest time understanding how this happens. It isn't like the railings are low!

I am pretty sure that the ratio of people who die this way compared to the number of people on cruise ships in a year is probably quite small.

And how few of them are NOT alcohol related? You really can't accidentally fall! I'm 5'3" and I would have to TRY to fall!

That means not only does RCI have cameras looking at balconies, they also have night vision.

The cameras do not look in to the balconies. They are infrared cameras that look down the side of the ship, along the railings of the balconies. So while they can't see what's going on in the balcony, the second a body part hangs over the railing, yes, it will be captured on camera.

I feel bad for this woman's family. But did anyone else catch that RCI's security cameras caught this? The woman apparently fell from her balcony (since the article said she was "in her cabin") at almost 9:30pm... it should be pretty dark by that point. That means not only does RCI have cameras looking at balconies, they also have night vision.

:eek:

But seriously, so sad for the girls family.

I have the hardest time understanding how this happens. It isn't like the railings are low!

I am pretty sure that the ratio of people who die this way compared to the number of people on cruise ships in a year is probably quite small.

And how few of them are NOT alcohol related? You really can't accidentally fall! I'm 5'3" and I would have to TRY to fall!

You are right. People do not fall. They either jump or climb over or on top of the railings (for whatever reasons) and then end up in the ocean.

Even if you are 7' you cannot fall accidentally.

I work on a ship, so yes, I do have first-hand knowledge.

Really? At least one, but I think two made for TV movies about it. Hollywood yes, but I do believe it was pretty accurate. Also read an investigative report on it that seemed in line with the movie. Wife was portrayed pretty badly, but it appeared her behavior was pretty bad. I think they both made some poor decisions on the cruise and paid for it in the end.

This event happened in 2006 on the Brilliance. If my facts are correct, she got $100k settlement from RCL (unbelievable) and got remarried. I can't recall if the Smith family settled.

Archived