Passenger overboard on Allure yesterday! (9/16/12)

[quote name='cruiseatick']you would think if they put a marker on the spot where she fell off that it would be rather easy to search and find someone that falls overbourd , but it seems that they almost never rescue or evan find the bodys,as i live in fl and hear about these incedents all the time and i dont ever remember a happy ending!![/quote]

Falling into the water from 7-10 stories high (60 -100 feet) is like hitting concrete. Even if not instantly dead the fall would knock them out and/or break so many bones and cause such internal trauma that they probably sink very quickly. After that the currents move them quickly. If their body isn't eaten by fish it might be found many, many miles away.

[quote name='cruiseatick']you would think if they put a marker on the spot where she fell off that it would be rather easy to search and find someone that falls overbourd , but it seems that they almost never rescue or evan find the bodys,as i live in fl and hear about these incedents all the time and i dont ever remember a happy ending!![/QUOTE]

They mark the spot based on GPS, if they dropped a marker it would move away with the current.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When I hear of a story like this, I think about wether it was just a random thing or was it a planned thing. I think it was odd it happened so close to the departure from Port Everglades. Then, it makes you wonder if she was heavily packed with luggage or not. Was she alone or with people.... All kind of things go thru my mind. Like, when she checked in and had her see pass picture made, did she know this was going to happen.

Anyway, thoughts and prayers go out to her family. I am sure they may have many unanswered questions too.

[quote name='BillOh']I wonder if they meant St Thomas, that is the normal Wednesday stop unless they are changing the intinerary. Its oddly coincidental that I was looking at the Cruisemate app early this morning and it showed the ship as still being between FLL and Nassau with Majesty nearby. I just assumed slow update to the app.[/quote]
The Allure departs on Sundays. The report states the overboard incident occured 47 miles from Ft. Lauderdale. The ship probably spent most of the evening and overnight hours searching for the victim. This would have made them extremely late to arrive in Nassau on Monday morning. The time in port at Nassau is very short which would make a late arrival not conducive to an optimal port call therefore the decision to stay at sea and continue to St. Thomas.

The article states they would arrive in St. Maarten on Wednesday rather than St. Thomas. St. Maarten is suppose to be on Thursday. The article makes it seem as though they are skipping St. Thomas
[quote name='Eng23']The Allure departs on Sundays. The report states the overboard incident occured 47 miles from Ft. Lauderdale. The ship probably spent most of the evening and overnight hours searching for the victim. This would have made them extremely late to arrive in Nassau on Monday morning. The time in port at Nassau is very short which would make a late arrival not conducive to an optimal port call therefore the decision to stay at sea and continue to St. Thomas.[/quote]

[quote name='oneputt18']They mark the spot based on GPS, if they dropped a marker it would move away with the current.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

The person/body would also move with the current so even though they mark the spot with GPS the best thing to do if you see someone go overboard is to throw a life jacket in the water immediately and only then phone in the emergency. The life jackets also have a water activated strobe light that can assist in the search.

Even drunk it wouldn't be easy for a young woman to climb over a railing and fall. And if she was alone and drunk why would she climb onto the railing? I could imagine a group of young drunk men getting themselves on a railing, trying to climb to another cabin or just showing off, falling by mistake, but that wouldn't be typical behavior for a young woman.

Certainly a tragedy, no matter what the cause.

[quote name='cherylroslyn']Terrible news. My heart and prayers go out to his parentsand family. What a tragic loss for them.[/quote]

Just to clarify, it was a 21 year old female passenger, not a male. Either way its very tragic that a person would be either that depressed or that stupid to sit on the rail on a cruise ship. We will not know any of the details so my prayers go out to the young lady's family.

Smitty

[quote name='cruiseatick'] it would be rather easy [/QUOTE]

I can't imagine how you could even think it could be easy at all, its not like the ship knew the instant the lady fell and slammed on the brakes. I have to imagine being many decks up on a large ocean if would be difficult to spot something the size of a body if it was upright, conscious, and trying to signal you.

[quote name='gospelle'] the best thing to do if you see someone go overboard is to throw a life jacket in the water immediately and only then phone in the emergency. The life jackets also have a water activated strobe light that can assist in the search.[/QUOTE]

I'm glad I read that, I don't think I would have thought of that.

[quote name='pthree']Nothing amusing about this statement.[/QUOTE]

I was amused, just a little. The author was probably tired of reading the 75 posts of how sad people are, or how they feel the need to tell someone how sad they are.

[quote name='eclecticpanthers'][URL]http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4993[/URL]:([/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]Thank you for the link to the story -- I had not seen it.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]We were away in Feb when the British man went overboard -- do I didn't know about that one either.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Scrapnana']It's interesting that almost everyone assumes suicide. When I first heard about it my immediate thought was alcohol related.[/quote]

This was my thought as well. Nowhere in the article does it say that it was suicide. Maybe there was a group of young adults hanging around and she decided to sit on the railing. If alcohol was involved she could easily have toppled backwards. Doesn't anyone remember the story a few years ago about the young couple "getting it on" on the railing??? They both (I believe) ended up in the water.

While I feel for this family we don't know the circumstances around this incident and therefore can't make assumptions on whether it was intentional or not.

[quote name='cruiseatick']you would think if they put a marker on the spot where she fell off that it would be rather easy to search and find someone that falls overbourd , but it seems that they almost never rescue or evan find the bodys,as i live in fl and hear about these incedents all the time and i dont ever remember a happy ending!![/quote]

[quote name='gospelle']The person/body would also move with the current so even though they mark the spot with GPS the best thing to do if you see someone go overboard is to throw a life jacket in the water immediately and only then phone in the emergency. The life jackets also have a water activated strobe light that can assist in the search.[/quote]

I spent many years in the USCG, most of which was in South Florida. First, there is nothing easy about finding a person in the ocean, especially at night. Just think about the logistics involved with reporting a MOB from a cruise ship. Think about it.....if you saw someone go over, what would you do? By the time you find or get a hold of a crewmember, and by the time that word gets to the bridge, and by the time that 225,000 gross ton ship traveling at 20 something knots turns around, you are going to be quite a distance from the victim.

Also, the body is made of water. If you hit that water and take in a breath, and your lungs fill with water, you will likely not float, especially in the warm S. Florida water.

[b]uksimonusa[/b] [i]post 50[/i] [quote]There is a post on the Carnival boards that Allure did not call the USCG for 2 hours after the fact. I hope this isn't true.[/quote] Yes, it is true and there is a good reason for it. Cruise News Daily (CND) says the Coast Guard needs to know someone actually did go overboard before they will send everybody out. At that point, all the Captain had was a report by a woman who thought she saw something in the dark. The crew must account for all pax, then the USCG is called.

[quote name='akcruz']This was my thought as well. Nowhere in the article does it say that it was suicide. Maybe there was a group of young adults hanging around and she decided to sit on the railing. If alcohol was involved she could easily have toppled backwards. Doesn't anyone remember the story a few years ago about the young couple "getting it on" on the railing??? They both (I believe) ended up in the water.

While I feel for this family we don't know the circumstances around this incident and therefore can't make assumptions on whether it was intentional or not.[/QUOTE]
Because if you read the news coverage she was alone in her cabin. She was not with anyone. That is why people are assuming.

[quote name='tomc']Cruise News Daily (CND) says the Coast Guard needs to know someone actually did go overboard before they will send everybody out. At that point, all the Captain had was a report by a woman who thought she saw something in the dark. The crew must account for all pax, then the USCG is called.[/quote]

The part about CG not responding until there is a confirmation is not true. The CG will respond, even with the allegation of a MOB. Second, it is in the cruise lines' SOPs to contact the USCG immediately. However, any delay in the reporting would most likely be due to what was initially reported and how. You cannot trust the media to accurately report what was said between parties. If the woman said she thought she saw an object go over, hinting it may have been a deck chair or something, I can see how there would be a delay in the reporting.

Archived