Passenger overboard on Allure yesterday! (9/16/12)

The cameras do not look in to the balconies. They are infrared cameras that look down the side of the ship, along the railings of the balconies. So while they can't see what's going on in the balcony, the second a body part hangs over the railing, yes, it will be captured on camera.

Ah, did not think infrared.

So very sad to hear. Looks like the sailing has an active Roll Call so I'm sure we will get some reports when they return.

Never heard any resolution on the Carnival man overboard from a few weeks ago. Still can't wrap my head around him deliberately jumping off and Aquahound seemed to have some intel but if he was able to share it, I missed it. Hopefully we will get some closure on this. It's simply unfathomable to me how anyone can "fall off." Suicide, sad but plausible. I hope this girl's family and friends find peace.

I agree. I can't fathom how someone could pay for a cruise (not cheap), possibly airfare, etc. and then "fall off a ship". It is so sad to imagine that someone was either that careless or didn't think there was any reason to go on.

I hope the family and friends can find the peace they are seeking with this.

So sad . I have a 20 yr old daughter and a 23 yr old son. When I hear of things like this it saddens me and sickens me. What would make some one feel so lost and helpless that they would take their own life?? And lets face it you don't slip over the railing or fall over. Even if you are drunk it would take alot to get up over that rail without trying. It does not say if she was saiking with some one and they just were not with her at the moment or if she was sailing alone. Makes me want to hug my kids tiwce as hard . They both suffer with depression off and on and took meds for it when they were younger. It is so hard to understand . I feel for her family . You always as a parent think what else could I have done why didn't I see this or that . What did I do wrong. Just makes me sad. Hope they at least find a body so the parents can have closure !!!

How strange...I had just come to the RCI board when my 5:00 newscast opened with this story; apparently the young woman is from my area. My eyes fell on this thread just as the anchor was talking about it.

No further details were given than what was in the CC article.

Prayers for her family.

I feel bad for this woman's family. But did anyone else catch that RCI's security cameras caught this? The woman apparently fell from her balcony (since the article said she was "in her cabin") at almost 9:30pm... it should be pretty dark by that point. That means not only does RCI have cameras looking at balconies, they also have night vision.

Some of you might want to keep that in mind.

Yes, obviously they have night vision, as there is no policy limiting people falling off the ship only during daylight hours. If you look at the cameras (which are all over the place), they are clearly labeled as as IR.

Really? At least one, but I think two made for TV movies about it. Hollywood yes, but I do believe it was pretty accurate. Also read an investigative report on it that seemed in line with the movie. Wife was portrayed pretty badly, but it appeared her behavior was pretty bad. I think they both made some poor decisions on the cruise and paid for it in the end.

blog on that subject

http://thehoneymooncruisemystery.blogspot.co.uk/2006_08_01_archive.html

WOW! When I'm on a cruise at night time (say after the evening show) and I walk on deck 4, and look out at the water, which looks black, and the cool breeze, I always think to myself that would be a scary way to go.
I actually get a pit in my stomach thinking about falling over, splashing in the water while watching the ship get further and further away, the lights getting smaller, and the music from pool bar getting drowned out by the sound of the waves that now surround me.
It makes it all seem real, and I keep my distance from the side JUST in case!

[quote name='palmyrafan']I agree. I can't fathom how someone could pay for a cruise (not cheap), possibly airfare, etc. and then "fall off a ship". It is so sad to imagine that someone was either that careless or didn't think there was any reason to go on.

I hope the family and friends can find the peace they are seeking with this.[/quote]

Fortunately, you are not thinking like they are. They are obviously in a severely compromised mental position. I don't think they are really worried about paying off the credit card that they booked the cruise with, so that's a non-issue. I have heard that many of these seriously depressed individuals think going out like that is better than being found at home by a loved one, so that is their clean way out. So sad. They are not really thinking about the inconvenience to the other 5,400 passengers. Problem is they are not thinking clearly at all. If they were, they'd realize what a bad move they were contemplating...

[SIZE=3][COLOR=Purple]I am so sorry for the family of this gal. What a tragedy.

It has gotten me thinking though...how often are they able to rescue or find people that go overboard? I am new to cruising and live in a very land locked state...we rarely hear about any news regarding cruises unless it makes national news. Since booking this cruise (only a month or so ago) this is the second incident I have read about someone going over board. While I agree with the previous poster the percentage of folks who go over board in relation to the amount of folks on ships is miniscule...it is still a tragedy. Very sad for all involved and must put a damper on the cruise...as all passengers were impacted in some way by this incident. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='iluvakumal'][SIZE=3][COLOR=Purple]I am so sorry for the family of this gal. What a tragedy.

It has gotten me thinking though...how often are they able to rescue or find people that go overboard? I am new to cruising and live in a very land locked state...we rarely hear about any news regarding cruises unless it makes national news. Since booking this cruise (only a month or so ago) this is the second incident I have read about someone going over board. While I agree with the previous poster the percentage of folks who go over board in relation to the amount of folks on ships is miniscule...it is still a tragedy. Very sad for all involved and must put a damper on the cruise...as all passengers were impacted in some way by this incident. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]
I would say there are probably about 5 a year. They are almost never found. I think ten million people cruised in 2010, just to give you an idea of the numbers we are talking about. It is by far the safest way to travel.

That being said, assuming this poor young girl jumped. It is something I can easily see happening.

So many young people die in suicides every year. Sometimes they are attempts to get attention and they go horribly wrong. Kids or "young people" that age are so emotional and they don't understand the consequences or permanency of their actions.......

I have a close relative that almost died in a horrific suicide atempt that was fueled by alcohol. Thankfully she recovered but she always maintained that she did not want to die and she did not realize what she was doing was so dangerous (I'll spare you the gorey details).

It is also sad that sometimes parents try to "cheer up" a young person with depression or bipolar by taking them on an extravagant vacation because they don't know what else to do to try to help their child. (I am in no way saying that is what happened here)

They always say that many people who jump off bridges and live to tell about it say the first thought in their mind once they left the ground was "oh my god what did I do" or "I don't want to die".

I hate the thought of a young person possibly not realizing the consequences....and I know when I was young I pulled some pretty dramatic stunts myself.......never thinking anything could really go wrong.........

you would think if they put a marker on the spot where she fell off that it would be rather easy to search and find someone that falls overbourd , but it seems that they almost never rescue or evan find the bodys,as i live in fl and hear about these incedents all the time and i dont ever remember a happy ending!!

[quote name='cruiseatick']you would think if they put a marker on the spot where she fell off that it would be rather easy to search and find someone that falls overbourd , but it seems that they almost never rescue or evan find the bodys,as i live in fl and hear about these incedents all the time and i dont ever remember a happy ending!![/QUOTE]

There have been a few happy endings through the years (the young, amorous couple that fell off Grand Princess several years ago come to mind) but usually even if they know exactly where the person fell (and thats assuming they spot it as soon as it happens), unfortunately the fall itself is from a great height.

This is such heartbreakin news to hear and my heart goes out to the family. Sadly, someone jumping off a ship, some 10 decks up, will be knocked unconscious or killed instantly when they hit the water. Everytime I read of this happening on CC, it upsets me to know someone was really depressed with how things are going in their lives and felt this was their way of escape.

[quote name='cruiseatick']you would think if they put a marker on the spot where she fell off that it would be rather easy to search and find someone that falls overbourd , but it seems that they almost never rescue or evan find the bodys,as i live in fl and hear about these incedents all the time and i dont ever remember a happy ending!![/QUOTE]
There have been a few happy endings.....but the sad endings far out weigh the happy ones.

Archived