Passenger overboard on Allure yesterday! (9/16/12)

[quote name='Desertbelle']Falling into the water from 7-10 stories high (60 -100 feet) is like hitting concrete. Even if not instantly dead the fall would knock them out and/or break so many bones and cause such internal trauma that they probably sink very quickly. After that the currents move them quickly. If their body isn't eaten by fish it might be found many, many miles away.[/quote]

That's what I thought as well.

[quote name='Desertbelle']Even drunk it wouldn't be easy for a young woman to climb over a railing and fall. And if she was alone and drunk why would she climb onto the railing? I could imagine a group of young drunk men getting themselves on a railing, trying to climb to another cabin or just showing off, falling by mistake, but that wouldn't be typical behavior for a young woman.

Certainly a tragedy, no matter what the cause.[/quote]

Another point for booking an inside stateroom for kids. <br /> <br /> Some teenagers may think it's fun to try to climb from one stateroom to another on a dare. Or using the balcony to get to the "party room" if they're afraid of getting caught by their parents. It didn't occur to me that a fall from the upper deck could kill until someone else brought it up. <br /> <br />What a horrible thing to happen.

[quote name='eclecticpanthers']

[COLOR=red]I did a research paper on a man that went missing on one of the other RCCL cruises, there was blood on the balcony and the wife had been out that night with other two gentlemen at a bar, big write up, they were on their honeymoon. Never saw a conclusion to this![/COLOR][/quote]

thehoneymooncruisemystery.blogspot.com/

[quote name='cherylroslyn']Because if you read the news coverage she was alone in her cabin. She was not with anyone. That is why people are assuming.[/quote]

But, it is still an assumption. Maybe she was sitting on the railing to see something in the front or back of the ship or trying to get someone else's attention and slipped? Being along does not say it was intentional.

This poor girl and her family have to live with the results of whatever did happen. Many here are assuming she was suicidal, depressed, etc when maybe she was the happiest person in the world who just made an error in judgement??? If you were her family would you want to be hearing such things? If we need to assume, can't we think nice things?

[b]Aquahound --[/b] [quote]You cannot trust the media to accurately report what was said between parties.[/quote] Agree with your comments, except for this one: Cruise News Daily is not just "the media," but pretty much the gold standard for cruise news. If you don't know what went overboard, you don't call out the cavalry right away.

Being new to cruising, when our DD graduated we sent her on a graduation cruise. If I knew then what I know now. I had no idea at the time they could drink at 18 when at sea. My choice would not to have been to have my DD experiance alcohol for the first time at sea without parental presence. But for the grace of God nothing happened. I am heartbroke for this girls family and what they are dealing with right now.

I am a little surprised if there was family on board why they did a sea day on Monday and waited to port on Tue. That would be horrible to be the family stuck on the cruiseship your child fell from.

Sue

[quote name='akcruz']But, it is still an assumption. [COLOR=red]Maybe she was sitting on the railing to see something in the front or back of the ship or trying to get someone else's attention and slipped? Being along does not say it was intentional.[/COLOR]

This poor girl and her family have to live with the results of whatever did happen. Many here are assuming she was suicidal, depressed, etc when maybe she was the happiest person in the world who just made an error in judgement??? If you were her family would you want to be hearing such things? If we need to assume, can't we think nice things?[/quote]

Yes right on, isnt this what happened to Rose? Except she was curious about the propellers and slipped.........thank God Jack was there!

I was on board Allure in January when we had a man overboard, the crew does react very quickly, all passengers were immediately mustered, they were able to quickly ID the person overboard and CCTV confirmed the reported MOB, search boats were quickly launched.

How about the children stop arguing and let the posters who would actually like to stick to the subject eventually get some information on what happened. I know it's hard but I have made a resolution to ignore 85% of the jerky comments made on this board. Doesn't always work but if more of us try, it will drive the jerks crazy that they are not getting attention.

I would like to know HOW this happened - fell, jumped, accident or deliberate? Most likely we won't know until Allure returns to port on Sunday.

I totally agree.

This is no laughing matter.

[quote name='wolfganghowell']How about the children stop arguing and let the posters who would actually like to stick to the subject eventually get some information on what happened. I know it's hard but I have made a resolution to ignore 85% of the jerky comments made on this board. Doesn't always work but if more of us try, it will drive the jerks crazy that they are not getting attention.

I would like to know HOW this happened - fell, jumped, accident or deliberate? Most likely we won't know until Allure returns to port on Sunday.[/quote]

Have I missed something along the way? How is it known that the young lady was by herself in the cabin? And how does anyone know it was suicide? Many things could have taken place. She could have been pushed. As unlikely as it may seem she could have passed out and fallen over the balcony. There could have been alcohol involved. She could have dropped something and grabbed for it.

As far as people making lite of this, Really? I'm a jerk lots of the time but I couldn't even stoop that low.

[quote name='wolfganghowell']How about the children stop arguing and let the posters who would actually like to stick to the subject eventually get some information on what happened. I know it's hard but I have made a resolution to ignore 85% of the jerky comments made on this board. Doesn't always work but if more of us try, it will drive the jerks crazy that they are not getting attention.

I would like to know HOW this happened - fell, jumped, accident or deliberate? Most likely we won't know until Allure returns to port on Sunday.[/quote]
I concur. My bad for getting worked up over a couple of posts. Carry on.

[quote name='dchillis']Have I missed something along the way? How is it known that the young lady was by herself in the cabin?[/quote]
That is what the news reports said.
[quote]And how does anyone know it was suicide?[/quote] They don't. They are guessing based on what has been reported, primarily the fact she was alone. Of course there is also the lady on [I believe] a NCL cruise form NY to Bermuda who was alone in her cabin and fell. However, it is apparent from the videos in that case [or so it has been reported] that she was trying to climb into a friends cabin by going around the balcony divider. At least in that case, suicide does not appear to be the correct conclusion from a woman going overboard after being alone in her cabin.

[quote]Many things could have taken place. She could have been pushed. As unlikely as it may seem she could have passed out and fallen over the balcony. There could have been alcohol involved. She could have dropped something and grabbed for it.[/quote]
True, except if she was alone pushing seems unlikely. But it is all speculation. It may always be speculation unless she is recovered alive and says what she was doing and thinking.

[quote name='mjldvlks']That is what the news reports said.
They don't. They are guessing based on what has been reported, primarily the fact she was alone. Of course there is also the lady on [I believe] a NCL cruise form NY to Bermuda who was alone in her cabin and fell. However, it is apparent from the videos in that case [or so it has been reported] that she was trying to climb into a friends cabin by going around the balcony divider. At least in that case, suicide does not appear to be the correct conclusion from a woman going overboard after being alone in her cabin.

True, except if she was alone pushing seems unlikely. But it is all speculation. It may always be speculation unless she is recovered alive and says what she was doing and thinking.[/quote]

I'm right here in Fort Lauderdale and the local news just this minute reported a young lady 21 years old [COLOR=red]traveling with her mother[/COLOR] has yet to be found despite efforts to locate her after eyewitness and video surveillance shows her "falling" overboard.

[quote name='BillOh']I can't imagine how you could even think it could be easy at all, its not like the ship knew the instant the lady fell and slammed on the brakes. I have to imagine being many decks up on a large ocean if would be difficult to spot something the size of a body if it was upright, conscious, and trying to signal you.[/QUOTE]

I agree! And if you can't imagine how hard it would be, watch this video of a 2010 daytime rescue of a crewmember who went overboard an NCL ship (luckily a successful rescue starts around the 2:16 mark) and just picture it being at night:

[url]http://youtu.be/5t92y08if7U[/url]

Looking at that video, I'm surprised that they can ever find anyone who is overboard. Odds are you are done. :(

Such a sad story of the Allure guest, no matter what happened. Many prayers to her and her family.

[quote name='SeaHunt']I agree! And if you can't imagine how hard it would be, watch this video of a 2010 daytime rescue of a crewmember who went overboard an NCL ship (luckily a successful rescue starts around the 2:16 mark) and just picture it being at night:

[url]http://youtu.be/5t92y08if7U[/url]

Looking at that video, I'm surprised that they can ever find anyone who is overboard. Odds are you are done. :(

Such a sad story of the Allure guest, no matter what happened. Many prayers to her and her family.[/QUOTE]
Wow! In looking at the ocean from a balcony, it looks like it would be very easy to spot a person amidst the monotonous sea. But in looking at the very real situation in the video, I couldn't see anybody in the video until the last second before the boat pulled up! You are right, it would be very, very difficult to find somebody at night. :(

[quote name='Desertbelle']Falling into the water from 7-10 stories high (60 -100 feet) is like hitting concrete. Even if not instantly dead the fall would knock them out and/or break so many bones and cause such internal trauma that they probably sink very quickly. After that the currents move them quickly. If their body isn't eaten by fish it might be found many, many miles away.[/quote]

We have two oft used bridges here in Rhode Island. One is 135 feet and the other 215 and amazingly there have been a good number of survivors albeit unfortunately not a majority. (No assumptions by me as to the cause. Just pointing out the possibility of survival.)

[quote name='tomc'][B]Aquahound --[/B] Agree with your comments, except for this one: Cruise News Daily is not just "the media," but pretty much the gold standard for cruise news. If you don't know what went overboard, you don't call out the cavalry right away.[/quote]

Having been in public safety for almost my entire adult life, I can say even the best media outlets screw things up.

[quote name='SeaHunt']I agree! And if you can't imagine how hard it would be, watch this video of a 2010 daytime rescue of a crewmember who went overboard an NCL ship (luckily a successful rescue starts around the 2:16 mark) and just picture it being at night:

[URL]http://youtu.be/5t92y08if7U[/URL]

Such a sad story of the Allure guest, no matter what happened. Many prayers to her and her family.[/quote]

Thanks for posting the video. Really interesting.

[quote name='Trekker954']I'm right here in Fort Lauderdale and the local news just this minute reported a young lady 21 years old [COLOR=red]traveling with her mother[/COLOR] has yet to be found despite efforts to locate her after eyewitness and video surveillance shows her "falling" overboard.[/quote]
Not sure what your post has to do with mine. Am I missing something?

My thought is this: this could have been alcohol related, suicide, etc. In any event, it was likely preventable. I feel so badly for the family and friends of this person, and also badly for the passengers and crew who experienced this tragedy on the cruise.

Archived