New Menus Debut on Coral Princess?

IECalCruiser

Nothing subtle about the way Baked Alaska is served now.

980E17981412BakedAlaskaDSC02192.jpg

I usually skip this dessert since they would cut such huge slices for you and it would have way too much non meringue topping. To me this size and presentation is much better than what has been served.

Nothing subtle about the way Baked Alaska is served now.

980E17981412BakedAlaskaDSC02192.jpg

I believe that is the way they usually serve the Baked Alaska now in Anytime Dining. We had Late Traditional dining on the Golden last month and they had the traditional Baked Alaska and it was served as good sized wedges. Interesting enough, it was also served the same way in Anytime Dining on the Coral last month. Sorry, but no photos :( Not defending Princess menus. There have been some reduction in serving sizes but that isn't all bad ;) There have been menu changes but we only had a chance to sample three on the Coral last month. We will be on the Island for 14 days in January so will be able to evaluate the changes more fully. We have only been sailing Princess since 2004 so our memory doesn't go back as far as many posters.

I was on the Coral with IECalcruiser and went on all the way to FLL on that cruise. But being a first time cruiser, I have no way of comparing what they served up before.

I will say as a first time cruiser, I was impressed with the menus on the Coral. I did look at the sample menus they sent in an e-mail before the cruise and the new menus are different.

As for portion sizes, I am one who prefers "normal" portions, so they definitely met to my liking. As to the taste, I did not have anything that was not wonderful. I did try many new dishes that I had not had a chance to try before.

I both me and my DW were well pleased with both the quantity and the taste of the food and are looking forward to the next cruise to try some more!

I believe that is the way they usually serve the Baked Alaska now in Anytime Dining. We had Late Traditional dining on the Golden last month and they had the traditional Baked Alaska and it was served as good sized wedges.

The photo was from late traditional on the Island.

Interesting. As usual there is no consistency between ships. Our traditional version of the Baked Alaska was with both the old and new menus. Chef's do have some latitude in preparation.

I suspect, as with the new menus, anytime entertainment, etc., it will gradually be introduced around the different ships.

:confused:Has anyone experienced the new menus being in place NOW on the Grand Princess? If it has been mentioned...sorry, guess I missed reading that post.

Just got off the Grand today in Southampton after a Med cruise and the old menus are still in place. However she has only a Canaries cruise and then she will be going transatlantic to Fort Lauderdale, maybe the menus will change once she reaches America.

Just got off the Grand today in Southampton after a Med cruise and the old menus are still in place. However she has only a Canaries cruise and then she will be going transatlantic to Fort Lauderdale, maybe the menus will change once she reaches America.

Gettingwarmer,

Thanks for the info. I hope the new menus will NOT take effect by our Nov. cruise, but probably will. :(

Hope you had a great Med cruise. DH and I are hoping to do that next year.

Gettingwarmer,

Thanks for the info. I hope the new menus will NOT take effect by our Nov. cruise, but probably will. :(

Many people posted earlier in the year that it was time to change the menus, that they were tired of the old ones.

They got their wish.

Sometimes change is not for the better.

We were certainly disappointed in the new menu choices during our last cruise earlier this month. The choices were not inspiring and caused us to go up to HC or CC most nights where the choices were very good and much better than the MDR.

The warm cookies and milk that ued to be available in the afternoon was not around on the Star recently but what was offered one evening by the MUTTS was dry and crispy. They were the same cookies offered in the buffet in the dessert section. Not worth wasting calories on!

As for the new menus, down home cooking seems to be what Princess is looking for, do we want it, doubtful at least according to lots of people we spoke to on our cruise. Meatloaf, the ever present broiled tomato half, mac and cheese (with shrimp), chicken pot pie, Gramma's .... didn't even finish reading that choice. The tri tip offering was disappointing, if you have ever had a nice BBQ tri tip, you can't imagine how bad it was without the BBQ, (looked like the cook took a slice and fried it on both sides and added some gravy). That's some of the not so good.

Prime rib, New York Steak, lobster, lots of great soups, desserts were great. In the Skywalkers Lounge we (platinum) enjoyed great appetizers. I also asked for and got whenever I made a request, mashed potatoes and/or a baked potatoes. The menus were a bit strange, but always remember to make a request and then tip your waiter accordingly.

Many people posted earlier in the year that it was time to change the menus, that they were tired of the old ones.

They got their wish.

Sometimes change is not for the better.

So true! I was not one of those people, but I do know what you mean. "Sometimes the grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence":( Whereas with that in mind in this case....the menu is not always better than the old ones.:(

So true! I was not one of those people, but I do know what you mean. "Sometimes the grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence":( Whereas with that in mind in this case....the menu is not always better than the old ones.:(

It is possible to change the menus and not downgrade the quality. People are complaining about the downgrade in quality of items. For example, removing tornados of beef and replacing it with beef tips or a sirloin burger is a downgrade in quality.

Our restaurants here change their menus 2-3x a year. IMO - quality has never suffered. I hear very few complaints.

Archived