New Menus Debut on Coral Princess?

IECalCruiser

We are currently on the Coral Princess taking a three day Coastal cruise from Vancouver home to LA. The menus have been changed. We will only see three of the new menus but I will post of them here.

• We had a new “Sailaway” Dinner menu that was just called “Princess Menu” last night. The menus apparently have been in use for the last month. I have also posted a link to the old Sailaway dinner menu.
  • The former Alternate Choices have been combined with that night’s choices.
  • The Shrimp Cocktail, Caesar Salad, Salmon and Chicken are still available but not the Grilled Beef Filet Medallions.
  • A Half Pound Sirloin Burger and Tri Tip Roast have been added as new option.
  • I have also posted the Captain's Welcome Dinner menu.
  • On both menus some of the choices are the same and others are new.
  • Apparently the former regional menus like Caribbean, Alaskan, etc will be no more except for the Italian Dinner to pay homage to the Princess heritage.

"Sailaway Dinner Menu

New%2520Sailaway%2520Dinner%2520-%2520Appetizers%2520Soups%252C%2520and%2520Salads.JPG

New%2520Sailaway%2520Dinner%2520Menu%2520-%2520Pastas%2520and%2520Entrees.JPG

Captain's Welcome Dinner Menu

A Half Pound Sirloin Burger and Tri Tip Roast have been added as new option.

The Shrimp Cocktail, Caesar Salad, Salmon and Chicken are still available but not the Grilled Beef Filet Medallions.

I see the Beef filet medallions made it to the Captain's dinner (first formal evening I assume) replacing the better cut of beef that used to be there.

Well, people have been asking for new menus here on Cruise Critic. Hope they are happy with the changed menus.

Did Carnival also change their menus recently?

People have continuously complained about Carnival and their comfort food, mac-n-cheese etc and it would appear that Princess may also be moving in that direction. I have no problems with any cruise line changing their menu for these economic times but it would seem many people are much more willing to criticize other cruise lines before the one they prefer. I cruise both Princess and Carnival often and have no problems with either. Just a quick observation.

My DH is not going to be happy not to have the previously-always-available medallions available to him. He is a picky eater and gets those most evenings. I'll be interested to hear what the menus are looking like on the longer sailings.

I suspect if he speaks with the headwaiter each evening, he can still have them the next day.

We are currently on the Coral Princess taking a three day Coastal cruise from Vancouver home to LA. The menus have been changed. We will only see three of the new menus but I will post of them here.

• We had a new “Sailaway” Dinner menu that was just called “Princess Menu” last night. The menus apparently have been in use for the last month. I have also posted a link to the old Sailaway dinner menu.
  • The former Alternate Choices have been combined with that night’s choices.
  • The Shrimp Cocktail, Caesar Salad, Salmon and Chicken are still available but not the Grilled Beef Filet Medallions.
  • A Half Pound Sirloin Burger and Tri Tip Roast have been added as new option.
  • I have also posted the Captain's Welcome Dinner menu.
  • On both menus some of the choices are the same and others are new.
  • Apparently the former regional menus like Caribbean, Alaskan, etc will be no more except for the Italian Dinner to pay homage to the Princess heritage.

"Sailaway Dinner Menu

New%2520Sailaway%2520Dinner%2520-%2520Appetizers%2520Soups%252C%2520and%2520Salads.JPG

New%2520Sailaway%2520Dinner%2520Menu%2520-%2520Pastas%2520and%2520Entrees.JPG

Captain's Welcome Dinner Menu

New%2520Captain%2527s%2520Welcome%2520Dinner%2520-%2520Appetizers%252C%2520Soups%2520and%2520Salads.JPG

New%2520Captain%2527s%2520Welcome%2520Dinner%2520-%2520Pastas%2520and%2520Entrees.JPG

These are links to Mercruiser's blog of his recent cruise to Alaska on the Golden

http://goldenalaska.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/gp-menu-sailaway-20120721.pdf

http://goldenalaska.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/gp-menu-capt-welcome-20120722.pdf

the sea bass looks yummy (and new). too bad they still have that horrible pina colada "soup." Cant they just call it a virgin drink? Or maybe serve it in a bowl?

Thanks for posting the menus. I looked through them and didn't find many entrees I'd consider. I'm one of those who ordered the beef medallions a few times during a cruise. Who on earth would order a hamburger other than a kid? Why go to dinner when you could get one at the Grill? Those are rhetorical questions, BTW. I plan to order the beef medallions on my upcoming cruise, per usual. We'll see what happens.

Thanks for posting the menus. I looked through them and didn't find many entrees I'd consider. I'm one of those who ordered the beef medallions a few times during a cruise. Who on earth would order a hamburger other than a kid? Why go to dinner when you could get one at the Grill? Those are rhetorical questions, BTW. I plan to order the beef medallions on my upcoming cruise, per usual. We'll see what happens.

Pam, rhetorical question or not, I'm with you why would I want to order a hamburger for dinner in the main dining room. In regards to tri-tip that can certainly be a big ???. Sometimes tri-tip is great and sometimes it is tough. Can't imagine it being like the medallions.

I just reviewed the menus. I could really go for the shrimp and scallop mac and cheese. I don't remember seeing this entree before. Ok, now I'm hungry.

Not just a hamburger but a "sirloin burger"......

I wonder if the goal is "to spend less on food" or to "improve/change the menus". Time will tell. The removal of the steak previously and now the beef medallions from the anytime menu (and removal of 2nd prime rib on land fall dinner) seems to be a cost savings change.

Time will tell.

Not just a hamburger but a "sirloin burger"......

I wonder if the goal is "to spend less on food" or to "improve/change the menus". Time will tell. The removal of the steak previously and now the beef medallions from the anytime menu (and removal of 2nd prime rib on land fall dinner) seems to be a cost savings change.

Time will tell.

Oh, well... sirloin. :) Now, if it were an In-N-Out burger, that would be different. JK! My impression is far more "comfort" food that you could get at a local chain restaurant and less "good-to-fine" dining that's part of the cruise experience.

I'll definitely post my experience next week -- if the menus have been changed on the Island.

Pam, while I understand a rhetorical question requires no answer, I'll point out a case where I might just order a burger in the MDR.

If I really wanted a burger while DW wants to eat something only available in the MDR, we can still eat together and have both our culinary desires satisified!

Thanks for posting. Looked over some menus someone else posted for a 10 day. I was not impressed at all.

Not much here we would like to eat, poor selection of fish for example, we don't eat shell fish at all. Poor selection of meats as well.

We will be on the Star Princess later this month for 10 days. Will be our 21st cruise. If menus are like these we will probably skip the MDR, obviously Princess saves money that way for sure.

We were on the Ruby Princess in the Carribbean in March, did not like the table for 2 set up so we skipped the MDR the entire cruise. Never missed it.

The year before we did 2 cruises on the Queen Victoria (Cunard) by comparison Princess has gone down hill when it comes the MDR offerrings.

Oh, well... sirloin. :) Now, if it were an In-N-Out burger, that would be different. JK! My impression is far more "comfort" food that you could get at a local chain restaurant and less "good-to-fine" dining that's part of the cruise experience.

I'll definitely post my experience next week -- if the menus have been changed on the Island.

Sorry - had to tease you! I didn't realize that you were on the Island coming up. I will be very curious to hear what you think of the menus and if you can find out if they are just testing them or will roll them out fleet wide.

Sorry - had to tease you! I didn't realize that you were on the Island coming up. I will be very curious to hear what you think of the menus and if you can find out if they are just testing them or will roll them out fleet wide.
I know. Since when you have known me not to give my opinion? :) And I sure will. It'll be 17 days so if we do have the new menus, we'll have a pretty good sample. If we don't, then I probably won't know anything more than I do now.

Well, if they could serve me a real In-N-Out burger, I'd order one! Haven't had one in about 5 years. :(

Don't suppose you are willing to take pictures of all the menus, including the dessert menus?! :cool:

Hmm, I'm reserving judgment. I was happy to see the French Onion soup. And I'm happy Italian Night won't be going away.

Okay, but I hated the sans-serif font. Looks like a menu at the Airport Hilton or something. Fine for their brochures and promotional materials but not for a fine dining menu. At least they didn't use all lower-case. Still . . . Princess, Princess, Princess, [sMH] you can do better.

Archived