My Epic Review - 9th Sept Barcelona - Barcelona

Justness

Thought I'd write my review as its fresh in my mind. Myself and my partner (age 31 and 41 - in case it matters!) did our first ever cruise on the Epic last week and we are officially converted to cruises!

We loved the Epic but note we have nothing to compare it with. I would sail her again but after speaking to other passengers (american couple thought cabins where small compared to other ships and a british couple didn't like that there were so many speciality restaurants where you had to pay) we might try another ship. Neither bothered us!

Any of my criticisms here are just small niggly little complaints. Nothing spoiled our holiday at all.

We flew into Barcelona from Dublin on the Sunday and arrived on time. Taxi to the port took 20mins and was 30euro or so. We got out of the taxi and someone took our bags straight away (note I did print out the luggage tags but they were paper so let the staff give me a proper one). We went into the terminal and checked in quite easily. Half an hour later our board number was called. Note to those buying alcohol, the wine place is "blink and you'll miss it" So just ensure you don't miss it, its at the end of the corridor, before you head up the escalator. We bought four bottles of wine and some cans of coke. The wine was 7 euro or so.

Day 1 - Barcelona So we got onto ship (which looks huge on the outside, esp compared to others). We had a wander up to the Deck 15 where we had some food. The choice was amazing, don't do what we did and pick up a bit of everything. We then went into Sheehan's for a drink. Very nice pub. On the menu there are some facts of Ireland, some not necessarily true or very new to us! Prices also very reasonable.

Rooms were ready by 1.30 and we headed down. I was happy with the room. I lay down for a few mins and there was a power cut for about 5 mins. Didn't bother me but the captain came on board to say it was all ok which then made me think "OH". Also my partner was washing his hands and the water turned brown, a real dirty brown. He tried the shower and it was the same. I hate to think what it was but the water ran clear and it never happened again but it was in my mind each time I showered. I researched a lot and the pics on the net are exactly how it is. We were in 9211 with an uncovered balcony. Would like to try an AFT next time.

We went to spice H20 for the sail away. Great cocktails, my new fav is Bahamma Mama.

That night we decided to eat in Cagneys as the menu on Taste did nothing for us even though it had lobster! I didn't realise that it would have the special menu and the one with lobster. No problem getting a reservation in cagneys, we just walked in. Food was amazing. Starters I had crab cake, on the small side but tasty. We both had steak and it was one of the best steaks we have had. I had dessert and it was a trio of desserts and were fab. Before we left, on MyNcl, they had an offer for three restaurants for $49 each. I thought this could be booked on the ship as well. It can't! Lesson Learnt. I would happily recommend Cagneys, but if you are on a budget, food in Taste/Manhattan/Buffet are equally as good. We had a few drinks and went back to our cabin for the night.

Day 2 - At Sea . We had breakfast in the buffet. 9am, a little crowded. We grabbed some food and then went to the Italian below where not many people where. There is also food here which I discovered, basic breakfast food, toast, beans, hash browns, cereals, tea, coffee etc... Much nicer and calmer to eat here.

We grabbed a couple of chairs by the pool. Pools are small. Didn't spend much time in the pool but they werent that crowded. My partner did the slides (I didn't - too scared) and loved the orange one (the big bowl). He also liked the green on (thought it was very fast). We relaxed by the pool for most of the day.

We then went to Taste for food and I brought my bottle of wine with me. I felt wrong doing it but it was fine. It still didn't feel right. Food was fab and service great as usual!

Later we went to Bliss, I really enjoyed it here. Very plush. They had Karaoke. If Karaoke was used to gain confessions out of people, it would work very very well! Sorry but I really hate Karaoke. Only two decent singers, the rest deluded (Simon Cowell has a lot to answer for!). That ended and the dj came on and was really good. Modern songs and not too heavy dance music.

DAY 3 - Napoli - Today, we decided to go to Capri. Off ship we bought tickets for the ferry that was just leaving. We didn't get a return and decided to buy the return as soon as we got there. Note - When you get off the boat at Capri, you will see a big queue on your right, this is for the funicuar, make sure you are in the correct line.

We got a small boat around the island for 2 hours. It was meant to include a Blue Grotto trip but it was busy there so we all skipped it. I was glad in a way as we saw everything we needed. We got back and both tickets to the funicular (1.8euro, well worth it). and went up. Views amazing up here. Some great photos. We then went to anacapri and took the chairlift. Fantastic.

Really enjoyed Capri. Back on Ship we went to the Blue Man Group. Im sorry but WE DID NOT GET IT (sorry for caps!). Not funny, why were people laughing, I don't know. Did not enjoy at all. We both left with 30mins or so to go. Best thing we did, we went to Manhattan Dining Room and food again was great but I prefer taste, a bit more relaxed.

Day 4 - Rome. We took the express train to Rome. I would advise not to buy your ticket at the gate, wait until you get to the station (10min walk) and then see what trains are available. We bought the Express train ticket for 15euro return and we had a 30m wait while the regular train went ahead of us. I don't think it even saved that much time. We got off in St Peter station and had a look around the Vatican. We then decided to get the hop on hop off bus, I'd advise not to use the one that the express train offer, the yellow one, as there was a long line. We used the red one. I know some people don't like the HOHO bus but it did what we needed. We stopped off at the main sights. At the trevvi fountain stop and old american couple were mugged. We also noted a few Con Men at the trevvi fountain so just be careful.

We ended up getting an earlier train at 4pm back so that's another reason the express isn't worth it.

We went to the Legends this night. Rod Stewart was the best impersonator, Madonna was the most entertaining ( though she sings a bit with an accent) and Elvis was v good but I thought bored. Enjoyable night.

Day 5 - Florence. Sorry we had a ship day today, along with some others. We ate in Taste for Brekkie, I liked it but partner preferred the buffet as he could eat as much as he liked. I preferred the portion control!

Ate in the French Restaurant and it was fab (better than cagneys). My partner discovered he could ordered more than one thing on the menu so got Lamb and Steak, I had duck. All were amazing. I had the fruit / chocolate fondue which I really enjoyed.

Day 6 - Cannes - Loved Cannes but we decided to go to Monte Carlo. Train there in about 50mins. Stunning. Really amazing. If you are able bodied you can easily walk around here. We went up to the palace and went in. Small part is open but really enjoyable for 8 euro. We had some pizza on the sea front. Barriers were up as I think they were getting ready for a yacht show the week after.

We got the train back. It was VERY busy, not seats and it was jam packed. Very hot and sticky. If you can, move down to the seats so you can grab one when people leave. Most left at nICE, but Nice was even busier. So plan time accordingly.

Back on Ship we went to the Chinese, Shanghais. Have to say this was the only restaurant we were dis appointed with. Service was slow (compared to elsewhere) and the food was only average if not below. Put it this way, I personally felt that the food in buffet was better. The main courses were small and what I ordered was not to my taste so I didn't eat it really. I left two full plates. When the waitress came over to clear the plates I was going to say I didn't enjoy it and that it wasn't to my taste. But she took my plate and said nothing. We went to Sheehans where i ordered some food then! Would not go back.

I think this was the night of the White Hot Party. Was looking forward to it but I really hated the music. It was hardcore dance music. But plenty of older people up dancing. Not our type of music at all, theres plenty of good dance music out there but I hated what they chose. We left after 40mins or so and went to Bliss

Day 7 Marsielles - Stayed on ship today, i heard they are taking marsielle off the port list and replacing it with Palma, I'd prefer that if it was true. My partner was ill. The aircon in the cabin made him get bronchitus (spelling?) so I had the say to myself. As someone who never cruised i would have no problem doing a solo cruise. I got my breakfast, went to Spice (by the way, I liked spice but found the food menu limited.), watched a film - wizard of oz, had some food (chicken pie in sheehans - fab), went to the future cruise review, went to "how to run a ship", Epics got talent final, Beatles (amazing, really good) and the Burlesque show. I had a really good day. But we had to go to the doctor with my partner. I rang 10mins after the physicians hours shut and the price went from 110$ to $148. We came out $200 lighter but glad we went as we had three days in Barcelona to follow.

On the ship everything flowed easily, no queues nothing. But I don't know what happened on the last night. I had a query on my bill (due to doc) and two queues were formed. It was chaos. How the ship can board thousands of people seamlessly but can't handle a few queries. There was no organisation at all. Staff and passengers were getting annoyed. It was the only time I felt chaos on the ship.

We then left the ship ourselves. Very easy to do. Liked this than having to have our bags packed the night before. Got a taxi to Barcelona where we spent three days.

Sorry for long review. If you are still here, thank you! Really loved the epic, in hindsight, I should done a nine day from Barcelona and left in Rome but will do it again!

Good review- have to agree, with most things you have written. We really enjoyed the cruise but I would like to try a different line next time. We did Thompson before this and it was definitely different. The music was great- danced the night away, I preferred the entertainment and it was much friendlier. But I have to say that the service on Epic was excellent, the food outstanding and the ship immaculate.

Thanks for the replies. Hopefully I didn't put some to sleep!

Also just on the French restaurant it's directly below the bowling alley so it is noisy if people are playing. I thought there was something up with the ship.

Also the British couple we met though the ship wasn't as clean as RC where they cruised before. I've nothing to compare with but felt it was immaculate.

I wonder though, is the ship big for the sake of being big? I'm interested to try a smaller ship.

Keith, I have your photo album, it was $13, I'll check postage today but it shouldnt be more than a few euro. I'll pm you later

Do you remember if the 110v outlets were two prong or three (ground?)

Thanks.

Hi, I used the european connecters as I was staying in Barcelona too. They were def two prong. I think they were interchangeable so I think the US one was two prong too.

Guys, enjoy your trip, you'll have a great time!

Thanks for the replies. Hopefully I didn't put some to sleep!

Also just on the French restaurant it's directly below the bowling alley so it is noisy if people are playing. I thought there was something up with the ship.

Also the British couple we met though the ship wasn't as clean as RC where they cruised before. I've nothing to compare with but felt it was immaculate.

I wonder though, is the ship big for the sake of being big? I'm interested to try a smaller ship.

Keith, I have your photo album, it was $13, I'll check postage today but it shouldnt be more than a few euro. I'll pm you later

Thanks a mill your a star, look forward to hearing from you

Hi Keith.

I can't seem to find the pm function.

If you can, send me a pm with your email and address so I can post. It's €4 to post so we could say €15 in total. I'll post tomorrow once I get your address.

Thanks

I can't find it either, should be somwhere , my email is keithwalshe at eircom dot net

There is no private messaging function on Cruise Critic.

Just -

Thanks for the lovely review. Having been on many cruises, I can tell you that the last evening before and the morning of debarkation is ALWAYS a zoo.

Occasionally the ship's staff has made an error but usually it is a result of passengers coming unprepared and/or a language miscommunication/misunderstanding.

I can assure you that the Officer in charge of Housekeeping does his/her very best to maintain a clean ship. Not knowing whether the complaint comes from the stateroom or a public area really isn't of issue. The reality is the passengers make the mess and the majority aren't inclined to wipe up or pick up after themselves. Upon finding something amiss, it is perfectly okay for that person to pick up one of the many phones and notify the Reception desk (who are, in my experience VERY glad for the call).

Thanks again for a nice review and I am glad you had a wonderful first experience ! :)

Archived