traveler's checks in Europe?

pcvtmom

Have any of you ever used traveler's checks on your Med cruises? I know that American Express members can get euro traveler's checks (or so I've been told)!

What type of payment have you found to be most convenient? Using ATM's to convert to euros, credit cards (VISA, I assume?). Looking for information, since we're new to European travel. Thanks, in advance, for whatever help you can give!

Very few places in Europe are willing to cash traveler's checks. If you get them in dollars, you MAY be able to cash them for euros onboard ship -- but not all ships will do this, and those that do generally charge a VERY unfavorable rate of exchange.

Some people who arrange private tours with certain Italian driver-agencies have found it useful to get traveler's checks in euros to pay for their tours. However, you'd need to get confirmation from any tour operator that this is an acceptable method of payment -- many will only take cash.

Honestly, not many people use traveler's checks anymore, at least not as the primary source for money when traveling. I generally just get cash from an ATM, which yields one of the best rates of exchange. ATMs are plentiful in most any city or town and especially where tourism is strong.

The Capital One card is a good credit card to use. They do not charge the foreign transaction fee (generally 2-3%) that almost every other credit card adds for any charges outside the US.

We haven't used TCs in years. I use my ATM card. The spread on the exchange rates is very narrow. In July, I got 500 Euros from an ATM in Hamburg. The Euro was trading at $1.20 and a fraction. Even with the $5 fee from my bank, I paid less than $1.2175.

We use mainly ATMs to get cash in Europe. But if we're doing a Med cruise, we also bring US traveler checks as an additional source of money. US based ships will cash them into euros and we have found the exchange rate to be fair.

Be sure you have multiple sources of money and notify your institutions of your travel plans in advance. We bring ATM cards from 2 different banks, credit cards, traveler checks, and cash. An ATM in Greece once at my card near the beginning of a long trip. It wouldhave been really bad if we didn't have multiple sources of money.

Travelers Checks are obsolete in Europe and often refused by merchants and even banks. However, all the major cruise lines will still cash travelers checks (in US dollars) onboard ships. So you could take some US Dollar TCs...change them for US Dollars and then change the dollars to Euros. However, as has already been said, the primary means that most folks use to get cash in Europe are ATMs.

To use your ATM/Debit card in European ATMs there are a couple of basic rules. Always notify your issuing bank (also a good idea with credit cards) of your trip itinerary in order to avoid security issues when you try to use your card in Europe. You should also have a 4 digit PIN and know that PIN in numbers (no letters on most ATM machines). If you happen to have a 6 digit PIN it may or may not work.

Hank

Hank

Thanks to all of you for your help! I now have a much better idea of how to pay for shore trips with private companies, souvenirs, and food while onshore. My husband and I haven't actually used travelers' checks for years, but the couple traveling with us were inquiring about the possibility. You all were most helpful!

if you plan to use cash to pay for excursions, be mindful of your bank's daily limit for cash withdrawals. My credit union limit is $500. Some ATM's have a limit also. So another good reason to have bank cards for 2 different bank accounts.

And be sure to advise your bank and credit card company that you'll be out of the country.

I easily got Travelers Checks from my hometown bank in Euros to pay for our private tours (RomeInLimo suggested this)...I also take some TC's in US$ and cash them onboard with no fee (RCI ships)...We then exchange some US$'s onboard for the country currency that we will be visiting...The fee is usually very small for the convenience of "not" having to "look" for ATM's in each port leaving us the freedom to be on our way !!

Do whatever you think will work out best for you personally as everyone has different needs and levels of comfort...Enjoy your cruise to the Med !!!

I easily got Travelers Checks from my hometown bank in Euros to pay for our private tours (RomeInLimo suggested this)...I also take some TC's in US$ and cash them onboard with no fee (RCI ships)...We then exchange some US$'s onboard for the country currency that we will be visiting...The fee is usually very small for the convenience of "not" having to "look" for ATM's in each port leaving us the freedom to be on our way !!

Do whatever you think will work out best for you personally as everyone has different needs and levels of comfort...Enjoy your cruise to the Med !!!

Thanks so much!!

Archived