Why do people worry about what other paxs are wearing at dinner?

vols159

Most of these multiple dress code threads are started by men on the weekend when they want to start some controversy.

What it amounts to is a bunch of little boys stamping their feet and declaring they won't dress up for anyone! I don't know very many ,if any women that don't like to dress nicely and feel special once in awhile.

"You are what you wear" is a saying that is so true. So those who resist dressing for the occasion go ahead and be yourself. You don't have to start threads to make yourself feel better. We will see you onboard and understand you are what you wear.:D

Our choice - on formal night, Tux for me, floor-length dress for her. Other nights, Tropical dress for her, matching tropical shirt with dress slacks for me. If you don't want to dress nicely, that's your choice.

My bigger gripe is the folks that act like total boors in the MDR's (or in the buffets for that matter) No one but the folks at your table (and not necessarily all of them) are interested in what you did today, or what you do for a living, or how drunk you got last night! Pipe DOWN, already!

Oh, BTW... they're not rules and regulations you have to obey, they're guidelines and suggestions that the staff wish you would follow... as another poster here said, we're on vacation! "Rules and regulations" are things we have to "obey" on the job or on the road.

...But I'll bet you a cold one that if you show up in nicer attire, you'll receive better service... it's just human nature.

I don't know why people say they don't notice what other people are wearing. Are they blind :rolleyes:

I am a people watcher, love going to the mall with another gal friend and after shopping we sit have a drink and watch people go by. It's "What a cute outfit that gal has on" or "that guy better watch out he's going to lose his pants" or" wow that lady is too fat for that outfit" and so on. Do the same thing on the cruise. Okay I don't do it 100% of the time but I do do it.

I love to see how people are dressed or how they are acting. I don't stare but I do notice.

I never really reply to posts...just love to read them and gain insight. But since dressing well is close to my heart I feel I must give my two sense. We are set to sail on the magic on the 7th of Oct. We have previously been on a Holland America and Celebrity cruises. I LOVE to get dessed up. That's a reason why I like to cruise. Otherwise I'll just go to an all inclusive. Mind you even then I'll dress up a little. But when I cruise (especilly on formal nights) I DRESS. Full on eveing gown; husband in suit. I don't understand why a person wouldn't want to take the opportunity. I think it was Mark Twain that said... "Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence in society." I'm going to dress up every night of our upcoming cruise; more so on formal nights. I do this because I enjoy it. It also brings me joy to see others take the time and effort to dress up. The way you dress, whether you want to believe it or not, effects how you feel and act. I appeciate that Carnival is not Celebrity but it was convience thatt brought us to book this cruise (wedding in Houston) and I hope not to see people in shorts and tank tops in the MDR....at least not at our table.:)

I could careless what other paxs are wearing at dinner Im there to eat not worry about what others are wearing! Does someone in shorts blue jeans on really make your food taste any different? No didn't think so.. Every single cruiser should worry about making there cruise special and not let others paxs ruin it by not wearing a tux or tie.. IF you ever cruise with me I won't wear a tie or jacket.. Nothing more than a golf type shirt for me..

I couldn't care less.

My level of service or the taste of my food is not in any way affected by what I or anyone else wears.

What can affect it would be someone wearing a gallon of perfume, or wreaking of smoke. Mercifully, our olfactory senses numb after a while of exposure to either. Unfortunately, the health effects linger long after for some.

I could careless what other paxs are wearing at dinner Im there to eat not worry about what others are wearing! Does someone in shorts blue jeans on really make your food taste any different? No didn't think so.. Every single cruiser should worry about making there cruise special and not let others paxs ruin it by not wearing a tux or tie.. IF you ever cruise with me I won't wear a tie or jacket.. Nothing more than a golf type shirt for me..

I also could care less what someone else wears as long as it is clean and presentable. I care more about how friendly they are and whether they keep their religious and political opinions to themselves. I too do not wear a tie or sport coat to the MDR.

Our choice - on formal night, Tux for me, floor-length dress for her. Other nights, Tropical dress for her, matching tropical shirt with dress slacks for me. If you don't want to dress nicely, that's your choice.

My bigger gripe is the folks that act like total boors in the MDR's (or in the buffets for that matter) No one but the folks at your table (and not necessarily all of them) are interested in what you did today, or what you do for a living, or how drunk you got last night! Pipe DOWN, already!

Oh, BTW... they're not rules and regulations you have to obey, they're guidelines and suggestions that the staff wish you would follow... as another poster here said, we're on vacation! "Rules and regulations" are things we have to "obey" on the job or on the road.

...But I'll bet you a cold one that if you show up in nicer attire, you'll receive better service... it's just human nature.

I really don't think the employees care what you wear. Just off the Imagination & saw a older guy at the next table in a t-shirt & ball cap on formal night. We're all the same to them. I'm older & wore a tie but no coat! Fifteen years ago I would have had a coat on. But fifteen years ago there would not have been the extra bagage issues. Times have changed. So have I. People are not dressing as nice as they did before. I'm not either. Dinner is still a highlight of a Carnival cruise.

I really don't think the employees care what you wear. Just off the Imagination & saw a older guy at the next table in a t-shirt & ball cap on formal night. We're all the same to them. I'm older & wore a tie but no coat! Fifteen years ago I would have had a coat on. But fifteen years ago there would not have been the extra bagage issues. Times have changed. So have I. People are not dressing as nice as they did before. I'm not either. Dinner is still a highlight of a Carnival cruise.

I think the staff is only concerned about their tips and don't want to anger the customers

Yes, luggage weight has totally played into this...I always drive to ports (*Florida) but when I flew to Seattle for Alaska cruise I had to struggle with what to leave out, how heavy was it , how to fit it all in.

People dress more informally now . As someone said...look at old movies everyone wore hats, gloves etc.

I also think it is interesting to look at the cruise pictures people take..look at the passengers LOL. They don't look like the models on the Carnival website

or models on Cruise brochures (for lines that still have brochures haha)

IRL there are all kinds of people on a Carnival cruise as Tapi pointed out.

After all the threads on dining room attire, it seem obvious to me that to some people it matters and to some it doesn't - and never the twain shall meet! And we all have to cruise together. :p

As for me, if the OP really wants to know why it matters to some of us, I will try to explain. Other people are part of the entire atmosphere of the dining room. I prefer the decor of a typical cruise ship dining room as opposed to, say, the decor of my local Taco Bell. I prefer tablecloths and china as opposed to plastic placemats and plastic dinner wear. And, I prefer to share the dining room with other people dressed presentably as opposed to people dressed as I do when mowing the lawn. It does not affect how the food tastes. It is simply my personal preferance for general atmosphere as I dine while on a cruise. Others clearly don't have this personal preference.

Presentable, by the way, in my opinion, incudes nice casual wear. Doesn't have to be a tux.

Well said. I agree 100%.

By the way, not to be the grammar police but I am surprised by how many posters are saying "I could care less" If you are saying that it doesn't matter to you, then it is I couldn't care less. meaning it is so insignificant to you that you could not care any less than you do.

I don't know why people say they don't notice what other people are wearing. Are they blind :rolleyes:

I am a people watcher, love going to the mall with another gal friend and after shopping we sit have a drink and watch people go by. It's "What a cute outfit that gal has on" or "that guy better watch out he's going to lose his pants" or" wow that lady is too fat for that outfit" and so on. Do the same thing on the cruise. Okay I don't do it 100% of the time but I do do it.

I love to see how people are dressed or how they are acting. I don't stare but I do notice.

Yes that is just human nature to notice however most don't let it affect their experience.

Sent from my LePanII using Tapatalk 2

Well said. I agree 100%.

By the way, not to be the grammar police but I am surprised by how many posters are saying "I could care less" If you are saying that it doesn't matter to you, then it is I couldn't care less. meaning it is so insignificant to you that you could not care any less than you do.

And that would have relevance if this was a thread on grammer. Anyone can read a dictionary but it is poor form to comment on it.

Sent from my LePanII using Tapatalk 2

And that would have relevance if this was a thread on grammer. Anyone can read a dictionary but it is poor form to comment on it.

Your comment is interesting given the the thread topic -Why do people worry about what other paxs are wearing at dinner.

Do we judge people by how they dress as well as how they post? Perhaps not consciously but it inevitably effects our judgment of them.

Good thing carnival structured the mdr after elegance.. Again, don't put a damper on everyone else people with tank top and bathing suits.. Find a different vacation that fits your style.. Carnival or other guest don't appreciate this..

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

+1 I totally agree. Its not like on a formal night and I'm dressed up and someone else isnt its going to ruin my night at all. Its about me and my girlfriend having a great time. If someone doesn't want to dress up or whatever thats their choice, who cares, they paid money for the vacation they want to have, let them enjoy it how they want. Who says that person who isn't dressed up doesn't wear a suit and tie everyday for work. Big deal, youll survive. I promise.

Not at all, how you dress is on you. That said if you dress like that AND act like a numbskull in the MDR I would have a problem.

Why do you think I would act like a numbskull? I just want to have as little cloths as possible when sitting next to you.

So, I will ask again. Would you have a problem with that?

Good thing carnival structured the mdr after elegance.. Again, don't put a damper on everyone else people with tank top and bathing suits.. Find a different vacation that fits your style.. Carnival or other guest don't appreciate this..

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Elegant?? LOL>> yeah, servers climbing up to dance to Low Low Low...

really elegant haha

Don't put a damper on everyone else ...if you want elegant, there is Cunard, Silversea, Crystal

In answer to the OP's question, there is a small percentage of people that feel they have to be in everybody else's business. No matter the topic, no matter the location. Be it smuggling booze, chair hogging, MDR attire, line cutters, drinking too much ect... Some people just cant mind there own business.

Couldn't have said it better :)

Archived