AZAMARA'S BIG ANNOUNCEMENT: More Amenities added for Up-Market Travelers

Bill Leiber

I had a look and even though Crystal's cabins may be bigger, if you are lovin the "Destination Immersion & Overnights" concept you will definitely be disappointed in the itineraries offered by Crystal. Sailings were at 6pm for most of the ports for example. Plus the ship's are larger with more pax. Good thing we all have choices.

I had a look and even though Crystal's cabins may be bigger, if you are lovin the "Destination Immersion & Overnights" concept you will definitely be disappointed in the itineraries offered by Crystal. Sailings were at 6pm for most of the ports for example. Plus the ship's are larger with more pax. Good thing we all have choices.

I think you missed my point (or I did not make it clear).

I was not suggesting that devoted Azamara cruisers would like Crystal instead. There are many aspects of Crystal that do not appeal to me.

The poster to whom I responded thought that some Crystal cruisers might be inclined to move over to Azamara to get an "inclusive" cruise at a lower price point. Clearly the Crystal experience differs from that of Azamara (for many reasons) but I am not sure the lower price point is there. That was the gist of my comment and that is what surprised me.

"Some of the non-drinkers may drift away but many other all-inclusive fans who currently sail Seabourn, Silversea, Regent, etc. may come over to Azamara for the same amenities that they prefer but at a better price point."

I really doubt that these luxury cruisers are going to migrate to Azamara for many reasons. The amenities are not the same.

Most of all, the ships are not what those cruisers want. I personally love the R ships (which is why I decided to try Azamara) but the staterooms would be unacceptable to those that cruise the premium lines. Nothing Azamara can do about that.

The liquor is not top shelf. Luxury cruisers expect more.

The surcharge for the restaurants will be unacceptable to many luxury line cruisers. They would consider it "nickel and dining."

The few Regent cruisers who have moved over to Oceania for price considerations are sailing the newer O class ships for the most part (Marina and Riviera), which have larger staterooms and are more luxurious with 4 free speciality restaurants -- they can purchase a beverage package and it is more inclusive that Azamara -- gratuities and speciality restaurants are included.

Above all, I am not sure it is a better price point! I just got an email from Crystal cruises with 2014 and 2015 itineraries. They seemed pretty reasonable to me. Now I have no interest in Crystal for many reasons, but do a comparison 2014 to 2014 Azamara and Crystal -- I was shocked.

Laraine, I did the comparsion as well and I was surpised with prices being about the same as Azamara and in a few cases Azamara was more. I am not interested in Crystal but do consider them to be a true luxury liner and to see prices about the same on some of their cruises as A was a eye opener.

Laraine, I did the comparsion as well and I was surpised with prices being about the same as Azamara and in a few cases Azamara was more. Crystal is a luxury line and Azamara is not in that catergory so seeing prices that are that close makes no sense to me. I know that Azamara stays in port longer but Crystal also offers the speciality dining rooms, spirits, soft drinks and gratuities, laundry and larger cabins. I am not interested in Crystal but looking at the prices was an eye opener.

Glad I am not the only one who was shocked!

Regent is definitely more but it include excursions and everything else. Ships are small and cabins are much bigger. Those with loyalty points on Regent will never switch LOL. I do not know much about Silversea. I know Seabourn just made an announcement about a trial of all inclusive. There is a discussion of it on the Regent boards where some are suggesting it could be an alternative to Regent. Not much discussion of Azamara being an alternative to Regent.

I just do not think the luxury lines aregoing to be the source of Azamara's passengers. They certainly could come from many places, but not in any substantial way from the true luxury lines.

I think the 50% off of excursions was a nice touch but we were able to book similar or more inclusive excursions for the same or less money. However, there were certain instances where there were no other options other than the ship's excursion. (Ie. Komodo island) They tied up all the guides and then at 50% off, charged $59 to take a less than 1 mile walk to see 2 lazy dragons.On some of the other threads, people who were not on a cruise and were there on a non cruise day, paid $2 for the same walk. Having never been to Komodo, we of course wanted to see the dragons and signed up for the trip. Unfortunately, we never made it to Komodo as the ship caught on fire. Hopefully, when we return in march of 2014, azamara will try and be realistic about this and other excursions,where there are few alternatives. They certainly are entitled to make a profit but please, be aware in those circumstances.

Pesky dragons.

PS - should probably add a ;) as rich is my pal.

From what we have heard, I have no Idea if they Are pesky as they are usually asleep.

Typical lizards! My adult Iguana didn't get up and eat her salad until 2:00pm the other day. They are not as active when the weather changes (fall/winter), but he had no problem finishing his entire bowl, including every slice of carrot and mango.

We have taken three cruises on Journey and are booked for a fourth this summer (Black Sea). The price for our balcony cabin went up $600 while we pondered whether to book as it was expensive even at the earlier price. We booked onboard, but may reconsider and cancel given the new policies. We utilized the 50% early shore excursion program for our Castles and Distilleries cruise and felt very satisfied with the prices we paid for the excursions we took. Had we not had the 50% discount, we probably would have taken fewer excursions and/or looked for more private guides.

I haven't seen anything yet as to whether the Choice Air promo from last summer ($500 per person off the cruise fare for booking the airfare through Choice Air) will apply this summer. If it does not, Oceana's similar Black Sea trip appears to be a better deal as the airfare is included and as of today, it is priced less than $1000 more than Azamara's current price for the Black Sea trip without airfare.

As non-drinkers, enhanced access to alcohol holds no appeal. Likewise, a mass shore event with hundreds of people milling around waiting for buses is not why we cruise. It's sad to see that Azamara has decided to go in another direction which may price out many of its loyal cruisers.

We have taken three cruises on Journey and are booked for a fourth this summer (Black Sea). The price for our balcony cabin went up $600 while we pondered whether to book as it was expensive even at the earlier price. We booked onboard, but may reconsider and cancel given the new policies. We utilized the 50% early shore excursion program for our Castles and Distilleries cruise and felt very satisfied with the prices we paid for the excursions we took. Had we not had the 50% discount, we probably would have taken fewer excursions and/or looked for more private guides.

I haven't seen anything yet as to whether the Choice Air promo from last summer ($500 per person off the cruise fare for booking the airfare through Choice Air) will apply this summer. If it does not, Oceana's similar Black Sea trip appears to be a better deal as the airfare is included and as of today, it is priced less than $1000 more than Azamara's current price for the Black Sea trip without airfare.

As non-drinkers, enhanced access to alcohol holds no appeal. Likewise, a mass shore event with hundreds of people milling around waiting for buses is not why we cruise. It's sad to see that Azamara has decided to go in another direction which may price out many of its loyal cruisers.

Azamara's 2013 Black Sea cruise (which I am on) was a way better deal if you had booked when itineraries first came out. I believe the original price (under the old pricing system) was less than Oceania's (which came out at least 6 months later, if not longer).

Going forward, Oceania's prices will likely be better than Azamara's, assuming the same or similar itinerary. But there are some Azamara itineraries that cannot be found on Oceania. Those who want included alcohol can simply purchase a beverage package on Oceania -- and it will STILL be less than Azamara under the new pricing scheme (and with better booze!). If you don't mind 1250 passengers, you will also have better stateroom accommodations (newer, larger with nicer bathrooms) and 4 free specialty restaurants if you sail either Marina or Riviera.

I love the R ships -- which is why I decided to try Azamara to begin with. I am sad about the change in policy.

We are not big drinkers -- so we share your pain. And the mass shore event --well -- it's not even something we would consider.

We have taken three cruises on Journey and are booked for a fourth this summer (Black Sea). The price for our balcony cabin went up $600 while we pondered whether to book as it was expensive even at the earlier price. We booked onboard, but may reconsider and cancel given the new policies.

That cruise is one of two that does not have the Choice Air promo, and did not in either 2011 or 2012. It sounds like a number of people are considering canceling.

Even if they added the promo now, it would be at prevailing rates...

Got the brochure today and was immediately turned off by guys in ties in the photos. Really, Azamara? This is your future? No thanks. I'll gladly go where the dress code is elegant but relaxed.

As I wrote on another thread, the new brochure, which we received today, too, has no mention whatsoever of any discount at all for land tours. It seemed to me, that to appease us customers angry that Az would remove the 50% discount on land tours, Az Pres. Larry Pimental, on this board, wrote that they decided to offer discounts of between 15-25%. They were to begin to post the tours and prices yesterday. They did not. Since the new brochures makes no mention of discounts for these tours, it appears to me that Az has changed it's mind again. We have not received any explanation from Az about tour discounts other than, 'things change'.

I think it is slightly naive to expect a shore excursion discount offering, which they clearly state can be withdrawn at any time, to be in a brochure. After all they must formulate those well in advance of them being printed and delivered to the trade/guests and then they are supposedly valid until the next release. That would be a long time to have an offer in print that may have been withdrawn at any point! :rolleyes:

Got the brochure today and was immediately turned off by guys in ties in the photos. Really, Azamara? This is your future? No thanks. I'll gladly go where the dress code is elegant but relaxed.

Wait....what???? You're sailing on Cunard.... I'm pretty sure not only ties are worn on them but bow ties also. Cmon now.

with all the discussion here about Azamara's changes and talk of "jumping ship" to another cruiseline.....I went to check my roll call for my upcoming Quest cruise and right at the top of the page was a large advertisement for Oceania cruises! Right next to the little blue box for Azamara meet and mingle. Coincidence or?????

My wife and I love the Azamara ships espcially the casual atmosphere. Azamara has their own niche in the Cruise Industry. But with that said, we have also been a Fan of Silversea and its smaller ships, the Cloud, Wind Shadow & Whisper, one of the past drawbacks for us was their Smoking Policy. This has now changed beginning in 2013 Smoking is very limited, just like Azamara's Policy. Their rates now are pretty comparable and yes like Azamara they have Special offerings throughout the year, most of their itineraries include Air and all of them come with a sizeable Ship Board Credit. They still have their Few Formal nights which might turn some of you off, but a dark suit will do nicely. Suiggest you give them a look for a future Cruise. We are doing Azamara Quest this Fri to Rome for the Quest's last Cruise before Dry Dock, but are doing the Silversea Wind, Capetown to Capetown in early Jan. I am saying just look around a little before chosing your next adventure, you might be surprised, some of the Luxury Liners are pretty price competitive

with all the discussion here about Azamara's changes and talk of "jumping ship" to another cruiseline.....I went to check my roll call for my upcoming Quest cruise and right at the top of the page was a large advertisement for Oceania cruises! Right next to the little blue box for Azamara meet and mingle. Coincidence or?????

If Oceania treats people right, gives people what they promise without requiring a tap dance, they'll gain a number of new passengers.

...we have also been a Fan of Silversea and its smaller ships, the Cloud, Wind Shadow & Whisper, one of the past drawbacks for us was their Smoking Policy. This has now changed beginning in 2013 Smoking is very limited, just like Azamara's Policy.

Would that this were true. While Silversea has said 'no smoking' in cabins and verandas, they will still allow it in:

"The Connoisseur’s Corner (indoors) and in specifically designated outside areas. These areas include designated tables outside of the Panorama Lounge, La Terrazza and the Pool Bar, as well as on open Decks 9 and 10 aboard Silver Spirit, Silver Whisper and Silver Shadow, open Deck 9 aboard Silver Cloud and Silver Wind, and open Deck 6 aboard Silver Explorer."

There are any number of upscale/luxury cruise lines I will not cruise because of their liberal smoking policies. If I'm paying that much for a cruise, I'm not going to put up with 2nd hand smoke, or avoid whole areas of the ship where smoking is allowed.

Azamara allows it in one outdoor area only, and nowhere indoors. Quite a big difference if smoking bothers you. I don't like having to leave an area because someone comes over and lights up. Smoke has this habit of escaping into 'non-smoking' areas.

I think it is slightly naive to expect a shore excursion discount offering, which they clearly state can be withdrawn at any time, to be in a brochure. After all they must formulate those well in advance of them being printed and delivered to the trade/guests and then they are supposedly valid until the next release. That would be a long time to have an offer in print that may have been withdrawn at any point! :rolleyes:

Roll your eyes as much as you wish but you're mistaken. The 50% discount claim has appeared in the 'Destinations 2013' brochure since it was published on the front inside cover of the 112 page brochure. It has been a major benefit of booking an Azamara cruise and has been promoted as such. The notification that they may withdraw the offer, appears on page 109.

If Azamara has no right to eliminate the 50% off excursions, how can they book cruises at a higher rate than the brochure as time goes on...all things change, including the rates.

In your example of the price change to a higher price, the new bookings were not agreed/contracted at the lower price, i.e, before the price change. The 50% shore excursions was part of a prior agreement. An example closer to the 50% off shore excursions promised to people at the time they booked would be if Azamara changed an already booked fare to the higher rate. Maybe I shouldn't give Azamara ideas?

In your example of the price change to a higher price, the new bookings were not agreed/contracted at the lower price, i.e, before the price change. The 50% shore excursions was part of a prior agreement. An example closer to the 50% off shore excursions promised to people at the time they booked would be if Azamara changed an already booked fare to the higher rate. Maybe I shouldn't give Azamara ideas?

I think they can get out of this by offering a full refund, which they have done.

Subject to change or cancellation means just that. If you had BOOKED and PAID for specific shore excursions before the policy changed you would get them at the reduced price. They have a right to change or discontinue any offer made as long as it was so stated that they could if you have not purchased said specific item.

I was not happy about the change either, as I booked quite a few excursions at the 50% off rate, but I think it is time to move on.

It is Azamara's business decision, and I will stand by it. I will look at the new tours offered and decide if the price is fair. This will not, however, discourage me from further Azamara cruises.

Again, some posters, including the President of Azamara, appear to be unable to differentiate between bait and switch and a legitimate adverse change in price or benefits. Prices are going up Nov. 1. Fine. It's their right to do that. They are eliminating the 50% discount on tours beginning after next Spring...fine...they have a right to do that to. Passengers who went under contract prior to the announcement of the withdrawal of the 50% discount will not receive the discount as offered and accepted...not fine...not ethical...not tolerated. I really don't understand why a minority of posters on the board cannot understand the difference.....I suppose these same posters think that Azamara should not have recanted their similar decision last year, but they did grandfather in passengers negatively impacted. Perhaps if the free booze offer is withdrawn before these same posters cruise they won't be be as angry as we are? I think they will be once it hits their wallets.

Archived