AZAMARA'S BIG ANNOUNCEMENT: More Amenities added for Up-Market Travelers

Bill Leiber

I would like to see Baileys Irish Cream offered as I like a drop in my hot chocolate. That is something I would actually drink, and what I enjoyed on SilverSea when we came back from our Arctic expeditions.

This is the celeb list for the basic classic package ;)

Celebrity Cruises proudly partners with following brands to offer you, our guests, greater pleasure and value. Package selections include, but are not limited to the following brands:

Coke, Diet Coke, Fanta Orange, Coke Zero, Sprite, Diet Sprite, Barqs, Aqualina, Coffee, Tea, Cranberry, Pineapple, Tomato, Apple, Grapefruit, Coors Light, Becks, Heineken, Amstel Light, Corona, Heineken Light, Franziskaner, Dos Equis, Red Stripe, Samuel Adams, Leffe, O'Doul's Non-Alcoholic, Johnny Walker Red, Dewars White Label, J & B, Cutty Sark, Canadian Club, Seagram's VO, Seagram's 7, Jameson, Jim Beam, Jack Daniel's Courvoisier VS, Carlos 1, Metaxa 5 Star Classic, Hennessy VS, Beefeaters, Tanqueray, Absolut, Smirnoff, Stolichnaya, Three Olives, Bacardi, Malibu, Captain Morgan Original Spiced, Jose Cuervo, Disaronno Amaretto, Bailey's Irish Cream, Frangelico, Drambuie, Sambuca, Kahlua, Bolini, St. Francis, J & H Selbach, Southern Right, Paul Jaboulet, Jean Luc Colombo, Beringer, Heron's Nest, Tenuta de Nozzole, Rutherford Ranch, Marques de la Concordia.

This is the celeb list for the basic classic package ;)

Celebrity Cruises proudly partners with following brands to offer you, our guests, greater pleasure and value. Package selections include, but are not limited to the following brands:

Coke, Diet Coke, Fanta Orange, Coke Zero, Sprite, Diet Sprite, Barqs, Aqualina, Coffee, Tea, Cranberry, Pineapple, Tomato, Apple, Grapefruit, Coors Light, Becks, Heineken, Amstel Light, Corona, Heineken Light, Franziskaner, Dos Equis, Red Stripe, Samuel Adams, Leffe, O'Doul's Non-Alcoholic, Johnny Walker Red, Dewars White Label, J & B, Cutty Sark, Canadian Club, Seagram's VO, Seagram's 7, Jameson, Jim Beam, Jack Daniel's Courvoisier VS, Carlos 1, Metaxa 5 Star Classic, Hennessy VS, Beefeaters, Tanqueray, Absolut, Smirnoff, Stolichnaya, Three Olives, Bacardi, Malibu, Captain Morgan Original Spiced, Jose Cuervo, Disaronno Amaretto, Bailey's Irish Cream, Frangelico, Drambuie, Sambuca, Kahlua, Bolini, St. Francis, J & H Selbach, Southern Right, Paul Jaboulet, Jean Luc Colombo, Beringer, Heron's Nest, Tenuta de Nozzole, Rutherford Ranch, Marques de la Concordia.

Thank you HudandPug. I think you are right that Celebrity spent a lot of time figuring all of this out.

No. That is not what I am implying. It is what you are inferring.

I am sure an increase every year is expected, as on other lines. Costs go up everywhere. I expect the cost of cruising to go up yearly. However, I along with many other posters on this board, are anxious to hear why the price increase is so substantial if it is not just because of the cheap alcohol and the night event. Is Azamara losing so much money that is needs to increase the prices so much? OK. Understood. They need to make a profit to survive. People will have to decide if a cruise on Azamara is worth it at that price point or if they will go elsewhere.

As for value to me personally, I would not partake in either the alcohol or the evening event so those "enhancements" do not represent added value to me. The price increase does not represent value to me (even with the over the top service everyone describes), especially if I can sail on Oceania for a lot less money and not have to subsidize everyone's alcohol consumption or outing.

I know the R ships well. They are older and lack many amenities. I chose Azamara for the size and the price point which was similar to Oceania and, according to many Oceania cruisers who have sailed both lines, a very similar experience to Oceania. It is not about what I can afford; it is about what I am willing to pay for a product.

Laraine, I happen to agree with much of what you wrote but in the recent days I decided that all though I think Azamara is still a value it is one that I can no longer afford and reached that threshold that I am now priced out. I will wait until see what Larry has to say but I now accept that I might have to look at another cruise line that fits my wallet.

I know many on here say O is less but I do not see the value on Oceania that I saw with Azamara.

I think you need to make your case to the man in charge who will be on here Monday and I know from his last visit he does not duck away from the hard questions.

Laraine, I happen to agree with much of what you wrote but in the recent days I decided that all though I think Azamara is still a value it is one that I can no longer afford and reached that threshold that I am now priced out. I will wait until see what Larry has to say but I now accept that I might have to look at another cruise line that fits my wallet.

I know many on here say O is less but I do not see the value on Oceania that I saw with Azamara.

I think you need to make your case to the man in charge who will be on here Monday and I know from his last visit he does not duck away from the hard questions.

No "case" to make. I am sure Mr. Pimentel has read every post on this topic. No one should expect him to back away from the announcement. Obviously he and the folks at Azamara think this is a winning strategy for them. Only time will tell. It could be like "new Coke" (and cause them to rethink) or it could be like the creation of Azamara Club Cruises (which was a winner)

From the posts on this board (and the Oceania and Regent boards) the sense I get it is

1. Regent cruisers are not likely to switch to Azamara in any significant number. Among other things, the ships themselves just don't cut it.

2. Many veteran Azamara cruisers either can no longer afford the new price point or object strenuously to the included alcohol and abolishment of the 50% off excursions. Many of those cruisers will look elsewhere (only time will tell where they will book - they could stay with Azamara in a cheaper cabin or despite their objections or move to Celebrity or Oceania)

3. Those of us who love Oceania and believe Azamara would give us a comparable experience are not as likely to book Azamara again if it costs less to sail O. Obviously a unique itinerary would be the exception.

4. Some (a minority it seems) of posters don't mind the increase, still see the value in Azamara, like the idea of included alcohol and are looking forward to a large group event.

It is going to be interesting to see how all these issues affect Azamara's bookings. Could be a huge success or a dismal failure. I am sure we will all be watching.

Enjoy Azamara tremendously.

I fully understand that a company must make money. As well, it is understandable that prices will increase from year to year. The only analogy I can think of is this: if you favourite restaurant increased prices (by more than 40%) over three years and added a few 'goodies' along the way, would you continue to eat there or visit another establishment that offered similar service?

I think many of us were awaiting the "WOW factor" that Mr. Pimentel spoke about. For the time being, this is now off the slate.

Most anxious to hear what Mr. Pimentel has to say when he joins the forum.

No "case" to make. I am sure Mr. Pimentel has read every post on this topic. No one should expect him to back away from the announcement. Obviously he and the folks at Azamara think this is a winning strategy for them. Only time will tell. It could be like "new Coke" (and cause them to rethink) or it could be like the creation of Azamara Club Cruises (which was a winner)

From the posts on this board (and the Oceania and Regent boards) the sense I get it is

1. Regent cruisers are not likely to switch to Azamara in any significant number. Among other things, the ships themselves just don't cut it.

2. Many veteran Azamara cruisers either can no longer afford the new price point or object strenuously to the included alcohol and abolishment of the 50% off excursions. Many of those cruisers will look elsewhere (only time will tell where they will book - they could stay with Azamara in a cheaper cabin or despite their objections or move to Celebrity or Oceania)

3. Those of us who love Oceania and believe Azamara would give us a comparable experience are not as likely to book Azamara again if it costs less to sail O. Obviously a unique itinerary would be the exception.

4. Some (a minority it seems) of posters don't mind the increase, still see the value in Azamara, like the idea of included alcohol and are looking forward to a large group event.

It is going to be interesting to see how all these issues affect Azamara's bookings. Could be a huge success or a dismal failure. I am sure we will all be watching.

Laraine, I agree almost completely with your no case comment. If the last Azamara change was the a huge success management claims, why these changes. Does Azamara need to increase prices to get above water or is this corporate greed?

As mentioned, the dollar has increased in value relative to the Euro, there is little inflation, interest rates have dropped dramatically (do you think the r-ships were bought for cash?), and labor cost increases certainly aren't a problem. In the last 3 years, RCL (Azamara's parent) has operating income of over 2 billion dollars - I am sure if Azamara was dragging down the bottom line, Larry would no longer be CEO.

For me, beginning after my 2013 cruises booked in January, 2012, Azamara no longer provides value compared to Oceania or the luxury lines or even Celebrity for that matter if you want something significantly cheaper because of its outdated ships with their tiny bathrooms and cabins. Moreover, even with pricing rollbacks, the rescission of the 50% of Land Discoveries program shows a complete lack of business ethics. Never say never, but it is unlikely I would book something when I can't assure there won't be another bait and switch.

Enjoy Azamara tremendously.

I fully understand that a company must make money. As well, it is understandable that prices will increase from year to year. The only analogy I can think of is this: if you favourite restaurant increased prices (by more than 40%) over three years and added a few 'goodies' along the way, would you continue to eat there or visit another establishment that offered similar service?

I think many of us were awaiting the "WOW factor" that Mr. Pimentel spoke about. For the time being, this is now off the slate.

Most anxious to hear what Mr. Pimentel has to say when he joins the forum.

If other equally good or better restaurants were charging 15 to 40% less, it would be my former favorite restaurant.

Laraine, I agree almost completely with your no case comment. If the last Azamara change was the a huge success management claims, why these changes. Does Azamara need to increase prices to get above water or is this corporate greed?

As mentioned, the dollar has increased in value relative to the Euro, there is little inflation, interest rates have dropped dramatically (do you think the r-ships were bought for cash?), and labor cost increases certainly aren't a problem. In the last 3 years, RCL (Azamara's parent) has operating income of over 2 billion dollars - I am sure if Azamara was dragging down the bottom line, Larry would no longer be CEO.

For me, beginning after my 2013 cruises booked in January, 2012, Azamara no longer provides value compared to Oceania or the luxury lines or even Celebrity for that matter if you want something significantly cheaper because of its outdated ships with their tiny bathrooms and cabins. Moreover, even with pricing rollbacks, the rescission of the 50% of Land Discoveries program shows a complete lack of business ethics. Never say never, but it is unlikely I would book something when I can't assure there won't be another bait and switch.

Taxjam - your sentiments are like those of many who have posted on this thread.

I, too, feel lucky that I booked my August 2013 Black Sea cruise the day the itineraries were released (and the price has gone up!). I booked an Azamara 2014 cruise despite the price increase because of its unique itinerary. It's only a 7 day cruise and relatively cheap.

I agree with you -- never say never. I moved to Azamara because I LOVE the R ships and the pricing was right. I, like you, will never say "never" but I will be considering other options.

If other equally good or better restaurants were charging 15 to 40% less, it would be my former favorite restaurant.

I hope I don't have to echo your words when it comes to future bookings on Azamara.

Will try to remain optimistic. Time will tell.

Excellent summary, I totally agree with you & only time will tell.

I fit squarely into your No 2 category,

Eric

The one unknown in this discussion is whether the competitor restaurant a block away will increase for 2014 its pricing to match the newly announced Azamara's price increases.

Value is a relative term. When it comes to the value of an Azamara cruise, we are talking about how that value compares to not only the value of a cruise on other cruise lines, but the value of non-cruise travel and non-travel goods and services. But for most on this board, the discussion is about the value of an Azamara cruise compared to the value of a cruise on Oceania and several other cruise lines.

Using my restaurant analogy, I suspect an undertone in Mr. Pimental's comments will be that he runs a very popular restaurant with a limited number of tables. And I suspect strongly he will suggest that people need to wait for the 2014 pricing of one or two other competitor lines before making comparisons.

Larry's tables, i.e., the staterooms and bathrooms, are too close together to warrant preference over similarly priced competitors of the same quality but possessing more modern facilities. And, when I order a prime steak at the competitor, they don't substitute chicken and give me "free" bottom shelf liquor , i.e., the 50% off bait and switch.

"Using my restaurant analogy, I suspect an undertone in Mr. Pimental's comments will be that he runs a very popular restaurant with a limited number of tables." -Taxjam

Good analogy. Unfortunately, anyone in the restaurant industry will tell you that good restaurants go out of business all the time.

And I want Azamara Club Cruises to be around for a very long time! They either listen to us now, or they will "hear" from us later. Here's hoping they aren't pigheaded about making some changes to retain their loyal base, while still reaching out to the 1%-ers, and us 1% Wanna-bees.

"Using my restaurant analogy, I suspect an undertone in Mr. Pimental's comments will be that he runs a very popular restaurant with a limited number of tables." -Taxjam

Good analogy. Unfortunately, anyone in the restaurant industry will tell you that good restaurants go out of business all the time.

And I want Azamara Club Cruises to be around for a very long time! They either listen to us now, or they will "hear" from us later. Here's hoping they aren't pigheaded about making some changes to retain their loyal base, while still reaching out to the 1%-ers, and us 1% Wanna-bees.

Azamara Club Cruises loyal guests want Azamara to be successful and around for a long time. We have found a niche and we are happy.

Back to the restaurant analogy. As stated in prior posts not too many restaurants announce a price increase in 2012 for 2014. We all agree that price increases are industry wide and we do expect increases along the way.

Azamara has listened in the past to some of our concerns. However this time I think it will be different. I hate to be pessimistic. Do we really think that Corporate is going to bow to our pressure? I do believe that they think if we all abandon ship they will obtain new guests from elsewhere.

As I've stated previously, time will tell.

We just finished our first Azamara cruise last week. It was wonderful! We do a lot of traveling and cruising, but it seemed we were most excited about this cruise after reading the wonderful reviews and comments on CC. We have a lot of friends who also do a lot of traveling and cruising, and we were very surprised how many people had not heard about Azamara. They were anxiously awaiting our review and comments, to see if this was something they also would like to do.

During the Club Voyage party, the announcement was made about the new ammenities and pricing policy. That night we decided to price out a cruise for 2013. The price was so high, that we decided not to put a deposit on the open passage. We are now so glad that we did not, as we are reading about all those passengers who might not be able to now afford the new pricing, and have that non refundable deposit already made.

We came home, and commented to our friends that we loved our cruise, but we would problably not be going on another Azamara cruise because it has become cost prohibitive for us. So our friends, and those of other passengers,who have heard the news, who might have been potential customers of Azamara, will find other alternatives. Word of mouth therefore is so important, especially in the travel industry.

We are so glad we got to experience Azamara, but unfortunately will problably not be able to afford their new price point. It sounds like they will be losing not only past passengers, but future passengers as well.

We just finished our first Azamara cruise last week. It was wonderful! We do a lot of traveling and cruising, but it seemed we were most excited about this cruise after reading the wonderful reviews and comments on CC.

During the Club Voyage party, the announcement was made about the new ammenities and pricing policy. That night we decided to price out a cruise for 2013. The price was so high, that we decided not to put a deposit on the open passage. We are now so glad that we did not, as we are reading about all those passengers who might not be able to now afford the new pricing, and have that non refundable deposit already made.

We are so glad we got to experience Azamara, but unfortunately will problably not be able to afford their new price point. It sounds like they will be losing not only past passengers, but future passengers as well.

Did you book last minute after final payment?

It is hard to tell if those posting who were on a ship this year paid the on-line price, or had some other last minute deal with included air, etc. The reason I ask is I can not tell if the listed/on-line prices this year were already too steep for some passengers and they were not the demographics that the cruise line had been looking for the last couple of years. The rates set this year must have been high enough to turn a profit had the ships been full, otherwise ACC would have not set those rates in the first place.

We know more than one couple who traveled this year on Azamara, but they were not paying the published rates to begin with and booked weeks before the cruise with agency's who could offer discounted fares with "free" hotels and flights.

quoting Welland: "Azamara has listened in the past to some of our concerns. However this time I think it will be different. I hate to be pessimistic. Do we really think that Corporate is going to bow to our pressure? I do believe that they think if we all abandon ship they will obtain new guests from elsewhere."

agree completely - except that I would not consider you a 'pessimist' at all, but rather, absolutely, a realist. I seriously doubt that there is going to be any rescission of price increase or the alcohol and evening excursion 'enhancements' - have already seen various websites now advertising ACC cruises as "now all-inclusive' - only thing in my mind that might be re-considered vs rescinded entirely is the 50% off LDS. best might be simply some 're-adjustment' of shore exc. pricing and MAYBE an extension of some kind for previously booked 2013 cruises, although doubtful about that...mho.

ACC must believe firmly that, no matter how many past customers they lose, they will be able to get new customers from 'elsewhere' - and that is truly the bottom line to all of this. end of story and discussion. (probably NOT...!!)

To me this is basically the following concept a partially full ship at a higher price per room is more profitable than a full ship at lower prices - and I present it as a simplistic example for illustration only:

Azamara 2012 - Sell 600 staterooms at $800 per night average price = $480,000 per day revenue

Azamara 2014 - Sell 450 staterooms at 1,200 per night average price = $540,000 per day revenue

Increase in revenue is $60,000 per day x 360 days = $2,160,000 x 2 ships = $4,320,000 + Azamara can dump (deeply discount the other rooms in Europe of South America for another $1 million of additional revenue. But this only works if Azamara can sell the cabins at a higher price.

My question from when I first looked at the new Azamara scheme is: Can Azamara dramatically raise its prices given its outdated and substandard (for the luxury class) staterooms given available substitutes? A travel agent told me that recently he looked specifically at Azamara for 2013 cruises for a couple of clients but recommended other lines because "Azamara's pricing was out of line." My conclusion is that it can't sustain pricing at the higher levels but only time will tell.

quoting Welland: "Azamara has listened in the past to some of our concerns. However this time I think it will be different. I hate to be pessimistic. Do we really think that Corporate is going to bow to our pressure? I do believe that they think if we all abandon ship they will obtain new guests from elsewhere."

agree completely - except that I would not consider you a 'pessimist' at all, but rather, absolutely, a realist. I seriously doubt that there is going to be any rescission of price increase or the alcohol and evening excursion 'enhancements' - have already seen various websites now advertising ACC cruises as "now all-inclusive' - only thing in my mind that might be re-considered vs rescinded entirely is the 50% off LDS. best might be simply some 're-adjustment' of shore exc. pricing and MAYBE an extension of some kind for previously booked 2013 cruises, although doubtful about that...mho.

ACC must believe firmly that, no matter how many past customers they lose, they will be able to get new customers from 'elsewhere' - and that is truly the bottom line to all of this. end of story and discussion. (probably NOT...!!)

If you read Larry P note you will see there is no room for adjustments they have made up their minds he discusses when they added the wine, grats and soft drinks to what would become Azamara club cruises he noted that people on here complained and it was a huge success . They are looking at the new enhancements the same way I guess they figured we are all change adverse and over time we will grow to like the new enhancements.

In the end it does not make any difference what enhancements they add it is how much does it cost and is it still a value and today looking at the 2014 prices I have to say no.

First of all, in response to the above post, you took into account both ships when figuring out the daily revenue so you can't again double the yearly revenue. On each ship there are 347 cabins plus or minus. So in allowing for some empties, according to your 2012 figure, each ship would have 300 cabins hence the 600 cabin figure that you used. You are already accounting for two ships in your figures for 2012 and 2014 so your revenue figure of $60000 per day is for both ships.

Now, if dealing in real numbers, here is what we spent this year and what we have booked for the next two years. These are posted rates (in the interest of full disclosure we are getting OBC's from our TA) but the actual rates are the posted current rates. Same exact veranda cabin for all 3 and same time of year.

2012 - $357.00 per person per day

2013 - $388.89 per person per day

2014 - $387.14 per person per day

Sorry but not seeing the huge price increases, actually a decrease from 2013 to 2014 in the per diem. I'm sure that on some of the itineraries that sell out quickly they have increased pricing dramatically but that would come under the supply and demand argument. Just thought that I would put some real numbers to the post.

T

My question from when I first looked at the new Azamara scheme is: Can Azamara dramatically raise its prices given its outdated and substandard (for the luxury class) staterooms given available substitutes? A travel agent told me that recently he looked specifically at Azamara for 2013 cruises for a couple of clients but recommended other lines because "Azamara's pricing was out of line." My conclusion is that it can't sustain pricing at the higher levels but only time will tell.

Especially if their travel partners (the travel agents) are sending clients elsewhere!

First of all, in response to the above post, you took into account both ships when figuring out the daily revenue so you can't again double the yearly revenue. On each ship there are 347 cabins plus or minus. So in allowing for some empties, according to your 2012 figure, each ship would have 300 cabins hence the 600 cabin figure that you used. You are already accounting for two ships in your figures for 2012 and 2014 so your revenue figure of $60000 per day is for both ships.

Now, if dealing in real numbers, here is what we spent this year and what we have booked for the next two years. These are posted rates (in the interest of full disclosure we are getting OBC's from our TA) but the actual rates are the posted current rates. Same exact veranda cabin for all 3 and same time of year.

Sorry but not seeing the huge price increases, actually a decrease from 2013 to 2014 in the per diem. I'm sure that on some of the itineraries that sell out quickly they have increased pricing dramatically but that would come under the supply and demand argument. Just thought that I would put some real numbers to the post.

Sorry but I disagree - using my Burma example from #231

2012. 11n in V3 £1981pp

2013. 14n in V3 £3318pp but this is over Christmas so I accept a premium

2014. 13n in V3 £3256pp NOT over Christmas.

So that takes us from £180.09pppd to £250.46pppd which is 38% increase:eek:

You are in the US. I haven't had a chance to look but is this with or without taxes and port fees, and with or without a Choice Air Credit? Thanks.

I have noted there is a huge difference in some of the cruise pricing, i.e. they are not the same per diem across the board for Insides vs Outsides vs Veranda's etc. We would traditionally expect a lower rate on any of the transatlantic or repositioning cruises, and the same for those out of Miami (because of the competition), as well as higher prices over the December holidays.

Sorry but I disagree - using my Burma example from #231

2012. 11n in V3 £1981pp

2013. 14n in V3 £3318pp but this is over Christmas so I accept a premium

2014. 13n in V3 £3256pp NOT over Christmas.

So that takes us from £180.09pppd to £250.46pppd which is 38% increase:eek:

It this with taxes and port fees or without? You are in Europe. I assume not, but is this including air or hotels?

Archived