AZAMARA'S BIG ANNOUNCEMENT: More Amenities added for Up-Market Travelers

Bill Leiber

Subject to change or cancellation means just that. If you had BOOKED and PAID for specific shore excursions before the policy changed you would get them at the reduced price.
Bit of a problem BOOKING and PAYING for 2013 excursions that weren't yet listed.

Now that I think of it, it's been a bit of a problem booking and paying for shore excursions even after they've been listed. I'm sure "upmarket travelers" will be very patient when they encounter the many flaws and foibles of Azamara's web site. ["Hello, Avoya calling!":rolleyes:]

Subject to change or cancellation means just that. If you had BOOKED and PAID for specific shore excursions before the policy changed you would get them at the reduced price. They have a right to change or discontinue any offer made as long as it was so stated that they could if you have not purchased said specific item.

I was not happy about the change either, as I booked quite a few excursions at the 50% off rate, but I think it is time to move on.

It is Azamara's business decision, and I will stand by it. I will look at the new tours offered and decide if the price is fair. This will not, however, discourage me from further Azamara cruises.

Azamara will be very happy that even though you are unhappy with the change, you will move on and take further cruises with them. You're giving them what they want...I choose not to give up so easily....and we were not given the opportunity to purchase land tours prior to their decision to eliminate the discount so I believe that point is a moot one. I don't accept that because a decision is categorized as a 'business decision', makes it ok. It's why business is regulated--to the protect the public from bad decisions.

They are eliminating the 50% discount on tours beginning after next Spring...fine...they have a right to do that to. Passengers who went under contract prior to the announcement of the withdrawal of the 50% discount will not receive the discount as offered and accepted...not fine...not ethical...not tolerated.

How will you feel if they change their minds again and decide to offer the 50% off pre-booked shore excursions, BUT, double the prices from the past and then offer them at 50% off. Is that acceptable?

Someone already posted of a recent disembarkation tour in South America with lunch and drop off at the airport that was something like $398.00 per person at full price and close to $200.00 at half price.

The cruise lines also have the right to terminate bookings. I have never heard of this happening on Azamara, but have heard of it on other cruise lines where they ban cruisers they do not wish to do business with for life. There may be a point where they do not just offer a full refund, but make it mandatory for some.

Perhaps if the free booze offer is withdrawn before these same posters cruise they won't be be as angry as we are? I think they will be once it hits their wallets.

Interesting thought!

What if, after attracting bookings from all the palamohs and Jade13s and uqvols of this world with the "big announcement" of Azamazing evenings and free bottom-shelf booze, they pull out the rug from these allegedly fabulous and "bespoke" enhancements and say "hey, things changed, so you lose?" What if these "upmarket travelers" have already booked business-class air and pre- and post-cruise luxury hotels with substantial cancellation penalties?

Methinks we might hear a somewhat different tune.:eek:

Interesting thought!

What if, after attracting bookings from all the palamohs and Jade13s and uqvols of this world with the "big announcement" of Azamazing evenings and free bottom-shelf booze, they pull out the rug from these allegedly fabulous and "bespoke" enhancements and say "hey, things changed, so you lose?" What if these "upmarket travelers" have already booked business-class air and pre- and post-cruise luxury hotels with substantial cancellation penalties?

We booked prior to the announcement. Knew nothing about the excursions or the evening event and expected to pay for liquor. If things change again it is no big deal.:p

Now I think that it is time for this thread to die a natural death since the same posters keep saying the same thing over and over and over and over again.:D

Interesting thought!

We booked over a year ago, and I have no idea why you are referencing me in regards to alcohol, but we are not interested. We didn't drink any on our last Azamara cruise. We don't book hotels with cancelation fees, and btw, most business class air is fully refundable.

As Mr Pimentel stated, everyone has the option to go elsewhere.

"You're all free-agents to make decisions that are best for you and the way you live your life. I respect your decision to do so. The sheer volume of posts and views indicated to me that there was a high-level of emotion and energy driving many of you to express your disappointment, and because life is so short, I think there are too many better ways to use one's energy. The good news is that the cruise industry has many alternatives and as a consumer, if something does not work from your perspective, then it might be time to make another choice."

Interesting thought!

Guarantee that I wouldn't think of cancelling if they got rid of all these enhancements. I also booked 3 months ago before the "big announcement". I booked for the itinerary, the service, food and atmosphere. The LD 50% off was not a driving force for my booking. I was prepared to buy the premium beverage package and will still spend more if I want top shelf. I don't consider myself an "upmarket traveler"- I'm just a normal member of the 99% looking forward to a great time.

Now I think that it is time for this thread to die a natural death since the same posters keep saying the same thing over and over and over and over again.:D

I agree, especially when the same posters start imagining negative situations. Got to use that ignore button again.

I agree, especially when the same posters start imagining negative situations. Got to use that ignore button again.

It might be time for this thread to end. With the Azamara website changes regarding not listing room prices for a certain type of room and now these changes. It might be time to use the ignore button on Azamara for 2 years and see how the dust settles. In the end it might be a better cruiseline. Just looks like it might be in a bad storm for awhile. Richard

• 2 weeks later...
Hello CintiPam -

In order to trouble-shoot this problem of your being contacted by Avoya Travel when you've requested to receive email updates directly from Azamara, we'll require the exact name and email address that you used in your request.

Please email that information to LeClubVoyage@AzamaraClubCruises.com. In the subject line, please use "Email me special offers from ACC." They've been alerted to look out for your response.

Thank for your assistance in solving this programming error and for your sharing your perceptions about our changes.

Best regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

Hi, Bill, I do not want to belabor a thread which many find both repetitious and unduly negative, but my followup does not fit anywhere else. I took your above advice both on October 11 (before my departure for my recent cruise) and again sending the LeClub Voyage people another email on October 30 upon my return home from a fantastic onboard Azamara Quest experience (wonderful ports, great accomodations, excellent food, good entertainment and the most wonderful staff), but I have not heard one word back in response to either email. I also continue to never hear anything at all from Azamara.

Fortunately, I obtained an actual 2013 cruise booklet while on board, looked it over, and put a deposit down on another cruise for next fall, but I still have not succeeded in getting on any email lists so I never am in the loop on anything Azamara other than through this board. Why? I really, really would like to get announcements and other promotional information. Why should I lose out on any sales or incentives that Azamara may offer in the next few months?

Thank you for your kind attention to this matter. It is an ongoing source of frustration. I had such a fabulous onboard experience but now apparently am back to being ignored completely by Azamara.

Pam

This is also true for me. Was on Quest at the end of Sept. received a satisfaction questionnaire by email so Azamara must have my email address. I have never received any promotional messages from them. I would have thought a 'welcome home - look what we have to offer next year etc' might have been appropriate

Also somewhere I have read about a 'welcome home gift'. What is this? And is it only given to US customers?

On board we felt like honoured guests. Now we are back we still cannot even get prices on the abysmal UK website.

Pam

We never got a gift either....that comes under Larry P's "things change" posting, perhaps.

In addition: since I have cancelled my cruise due to Azamara refusing to grandfather in the 50% discount to those of us who booked prior to Oct. 1, 2012, I emailed Azamara and requested they waive the cancellation penalty. Thus far, I have received no response from Azamara, Bill....that's not very business like.

This is also true for me. Was on Quest at the end of Sept. received a satisfaction questionnaire by email so Azamara must have my email address. I have never received any promotional messages from them. I would have thought a 'welcome home - look what we have to offer next year etc' might have been appropriate

Also somewhere I have read about a 'welcome home gift'. What is this? And is it only given to US customers?

On board we felt like honoured guests. Now we are back we still cannot even get prices on the abysmal UK website.

Pam

The "welcome home" gift is sent after you reach the next level in Le Club Voyage. For example if you just completed a voyage which brought you to 5 or more total points (Le Club Voyage points - not reciprocal X points eg) this would advance you from the Adventurer level to the Explorer level. At that time you would receive the gift to acknowledge that fact.:D

We never got a gift either....that comes under Larry P's "things change" posting, perhaps.

In addition: since I have cancelled my cruise due to Azamara refusing to grandfather in the 50% discount to those of us who booked prior to Oct. 1, 2012, I emailed Azamara and requested they waive the cancellation penalty. Thus far, I have received no response from Azamara, Bill....that's not very business like.

What cancellation penalty? You're clearly not within final payment, so there is no penalty as far as I know.

Pam

Hello Mrs. Miggins -

I'm pleased that your recent onboard Azamara cruise experience was such a satisfying experience and disappointed that your UK shoreside experience has not been seamless. Until we can turn-around the UK website and its component parts, I'm suggesting that you make contact with the excellent UK loyalty team for an explanation if you should have received a welcome home gift which I understand operates timely in the UK. As a reminder, it is not a gift after each voyage but rather when your last voyage takes you to the next tier.

Here is the contact information for the UK Captains Club:

Email: captainsclub.uk@rccl.com

Tel: 0844 481 7505

I want to reiterate Larry Pimentel's comments that the UK marketing team is developing a longer term plan to make a number of enhancements to the Azamara UK website that will take place in 2013 – a new budget year. In the meantime, seriously consider that the outdated information you may encounter is not indicative of the high-value that the UK market represents to Azamara Club Cruises fulfilling its full potential.

Sincerely,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

What cancellation penalty? You're clearly not within final payment, so there is no penalty as far as I know.

I agree! From Azamara's T & C = http://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/plan-your-voyage/booking/value-pricing/2012-terms-conditions

Days Prior to Cruise Departure Cancellation Charges

151 or more days deposit is refundable

150–71 days loss of deposit

70-46 days 25% of fare*

45-31 days 50% of fare*

30-15 days 75% of fare*

14 day or less 100% of fare*

Hi, Bill, I do not want to belabor a thread which many find both repetitious and unduly negative, but my followup does not fit anywhere else. I took your above advice both on October 11 (before my departure for my recent cruise) and again sending the LeClub Voyage people another email on October 30 upon my return home from a fantastic onboard Azamara Quest experience (wonderful ports, great accomodations, excellent food, good entertainment and the most wonderful staff), but I have not heard one word back in response to either email. I also continue to never hear anything at all from Azamara.

Fortunately, I obtained an actual 2013 cruise booklet while on board, looked it over, and put a deposit down on another cruise for next fall, but I still have not succeeded in getting on any email lists so I never am in the loop on anything Azamara other than through this board. Why? I really, really would like to get announcements and other promotional information. Why should I lose out on any sales or incentives that Azamara may offer in the next few months?

Thank you for your kind attention to this matter. It is an ongoing source of frustration. I had such a fabulous onboard experience but now apparently am back to being ignored completely by Azamara.

Pam

Hello Pam -

Thank you for your positive feedback about your recent onboard Azamara cruise experience and your vote of confidence by booking a future voyage for next fall.

I'm at a loss to provide you with an explanation for your not receiving a response from your recent email to Le Club Voyage email address. If you're willing, let's make one more attempt with you providing us your name and email address that you want to have entered into the system and emailing that information to LeClubVoyage@AzamaraClubCruises.com. In the subject line, please use "CintiPam Marketing Director Help." I will alert that unit to be on the look-out for your email so that it can be forwarded to our marketing team for a review of by our system team with the goal of entering your contact information into the automated Azamara website system in the US.

I do appreciate your making this effort an additional time and I'm hopeful that this time will deliver the results for which you've been waiting much too long.

Sincerely,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Page 106 of the '2013 Destination Guide' clearly states there is a cancellation charge (this pertains to US passengers) ranging from $25 to 100% of the fare. This is the same brochure in which we were promised 50% of tours, so while some 'things change', such as the tour discount, others don't, such as cancellation charges.

If that has changed to ring it in line with other cruise lines, someone at Az. needs to tell my TA.

Hello CTLeeA -

Within the next few days, I will be sharing with you and others in the US and UK the operational details about a complete refund of your "Open Passages" account. I will be posting the program details on a separate thread.

If you have booked an Open Passage account for a future 2013 voyage before our October 1, 2012 announcement to revise the early booking Land Discoveries Savings from a flat 50% to a 15% - 25% amount; to include complimentary standard spirits, international beers and wines at all ship bars; to provide a custom-tailored AzAmazing Evenings event on every voyage starting with the European season on both vessels; and a 2013 tariff increase effective on November 1, 2012, you will have the option to cancel your Open Passage account without penalty. To our UK guests, you will be receiving a complete refund of your "Open Passages" account without penalty.

I appreciate your continued patience and I'm sorry for the delay.

Sincerely,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

If you have booked an Open Passage account for a future 2013 voyage before our October 1, 2012 announcement to revise the early booking Land Discoveries Savings from a flat 50% to a 15% - 25% amount; you will have the option to cancel your Open Passage account without penalty. To our UK guests, you will be receiving a complete refund of your "Open Passages" account without penalty.

Sincerely,

Bill Leiber

Why would this only apply to someone with an Open Passage, and not someone who had already placed their Open Passage on a specific sailing, or booked a specific Passage/cruise while onboard with the same expectation?

Why would this only apply to someone with an Open Passage, and not someone who had already placed their Open Passage on a specific sailing, or booked a specific Passage/cruise while onboard with the same expectation?[/quote

Bill is only the messenger so thanks to him for coming with the info Bill. He could have waited and said nothing until later so let's count to five!

LP has already confirmed he was looking at the Passages issue. He has already made it clear, whether we like it or not, he has done all he will re the shorex for now. As I recall the primary issue for open passages holders was the increase in costs for a product that no longer met their needs. Not the product change.

In any event probably because once booked you fall under the standard contract terms and conditions of your country whereas they may have identified a contractural gap pre booking which require this action.

Why would this only apply to someone with an Open Passage, and not someone who had already placed their Open Passage on a specific sailing, or booked a specific Passage/cruise while onboard with the same expectation?

Thanks for the response Bill, but it was directed to the wrong person, as I did not book with the Open Passages option. Jade brings up valid questions and I'll add some: why should your pending announcement regarding refunds not apply to anyone who has booked whether open passage or not? Admittedly, the minimum cancellation fee (which seems only to apply to Americans) is not a great amount of money, but why will Azamara impose any cancellation fee against a deposit when the cancellation was based upon dissatisfaction with the new 'enhancements' ? Why are Americans charged a minimum cancellation flat fee and Aussies and Canadians not?

Thanks for the response Bill, but it was directed to the wrong person, as I did not book with the Open Passages option. Jade brings up valid questions and I'll add some: why should your pending announcement regarding refunds not apply to anyone who has booked whether open passage or not? Admittedly, the minimum cancellation fee (which seems only to apply to Americans) is not a great amount of money, but why will Azamara impose any cancellation fee against a deposit when the cancellation was based upon dissatisfaction with the new 'enhancements' ? Why are Americans charged a minimum cancellation flat fee and Aussies and Canadians not?

.....do we lose the complete deposit?

Archived