AZAMARA'S BIG ANNOUNCEMENT: More Amenities added for Up-Market Travelers

Bill Leiber

Has anybody thought of how to increase profit if Azamara indeed is not making profit??? The food is above par for price, there are shuttles provided free in port and so on.

Let's just say there is no profit right now. Would it have looked better to offer nothing and increase pricing???

What are some good suggestions to increase profit?

I think Azamara is trying to do what they think will work. Whether it does or not remains to be seen. If it doesn't, you will see some "tactical sales" in the future which will enable those of you who state you cannot afford the increase to be able to partake. If it does work, then you will all hear about it and want to partake.

I agree and was going to post the same because it is obvious this cruise line is not profitable.

They need to do a better job marketing their product so the cruises go out full. There is a reason every HAL cruise we have been on has been sold out in advance (I know they have been around forever), and Azamara has empty cabins. They have a built in potential client base on Celebrity ships (maybe also RCCL), but we never see any Azamara brochures on Celebrity and the onboard Cruise Consultants do not try to sell any Azamara cruises (maybe they need a better incentive).

I already suggested months ago that they add unlimited laundry packages like they do on HAL ($7.00 per day per stateroom for the length of the cruise - so $70.00 for two for a 10 night cruise). Larry thought it was an interesting idea, but so far nothing has come of that.

They should also do a better job putting together more interesting shore excursions and marketing them. I put together private independent excursions on every cruise for a group max of 8-10 and have had no problem putting together boat tours including a charter up the Mekong, flight over the Nazca lines, underground tour of the western wall in Israel and more. We did take some Azamara excursions last year at the 50% off. Most group sizes averaged 18, but most were almost canceled. HAL sends out emails once you have booked tempting you to book excursions, etc., yet we have never received any emails from Azamara.

The problem now is that by adding included alcohol (besides the selected wine at lunch and dinner), they are just increasing their costs, and it is hard to take that away once announced (which is what is happening with the 50% off land excursions).

I agree and was going to post the same because it is obvious this cruise line is not profitable.

They need to do a better job marketing their product so the cruises go out full. There is a reason every HAL cruise we have been on has been sold out in advance (I know they have been around forever), and Azamara has empty cabins. They have a built in potential client base on Celebrity ships (maybe also RCCL), but we never see any Azamara brochures on Celebrity and the onboard Cruise Consultants do not try to sell any Azamara cruises (maybe they need a better incentive).

I already suggested months ago that they add unlimited laundry packages like they do on HAL ($7.00 per day per stateroom for the length of the cruise - so $70.00 for two for a 10 night cruise). Larry thought it was an interesting idea, but so far nothing has come of that.

They should also do a better job putting together more interesting shore excursions and marketing them. I put together private independent excursions on every cruise for a group max of 8-10 and have had no problem putting together boat tours including a charter up the Mekong, flight over the Nazca lines, underground tour of the western wall in Israel and more. We did take some Azamara excursions last year at the 50% off. Most group sizes averaged 18, but most were almost canceled. HAL sends out emails once you have booked tempting you to book excursions, etc., yet we have never received any emails from Azamara.

The problem now is that by adding included alcohol (besides the selected wine at lunch and dinner), they are just increasing their costs, and it is hard to take that away once announced (which is what is happening with the 50% off land excursions).

These are very impressive and positive suggestions. I particularly like the laundry idea as much more attractive to us than increasing access to alcohol.

I have one caveat: at least this summer HAL was seriously discounting some of its European cruises to fill its ships and no doubt they succeeded.

Part of the overall profitability picture is still cloudy as the major economies still struggle to gain traction.

Perhaps ACC is more exposed to that issue since it doesn't offer the "milk run" itineraries, say in the Caribbean, Alaska etc. that I suspect generate much revenue.

Bill, I know you like to be precise ... but your math doesn't give an accurate picture.

Some posters made their point(s) numerous times, others did so much less frequently.

In fact, 25% of all posts were made by just 4 posters.

There really isn't an average.

That said, this thread now holds the record for the most replies of any on the Azamara forum ...and will soon reach the record for the most views!

This is one of the most useful posts on this thread!

And I feel compelled to add the reminder that, as committed as CC members are to the cruise industry and ACC in general, we are not the majority of people on the ship nor do we necessarily represent them.

It would be interesting to have access to the metrics used by Larry P. and head office staff.

This is one of the most useful posts on this thread!

And I feel compelled to add the reminder that, as committed as CC members are to the cruise industry and ACC in general, we are not the majority of people on the ship nor do we necessarily represent them.

It would be interesting to have access to the metrics used by Larry P. and head office staff.

Nordski, very interesting point ref the metrics. Why don't you ask Larry P to share the question set and analysis in his Q&A session? I work in Retail which is particularly sensitive to any misalignment between product, price, catchment and demographic. The results can be catastrophic if you don't get it right.

Jade I could not agree with you more, I think Azamara does a horrible job of advertising and marketing. Look how difficult it is to get a brochure when Oceania which I never cruise on seem to come every week. Azamara has a problem defining who they are so it is confusing when you first look at them. I know I was very confused when I first started to research them and if it were not for this board I would of never considered them.

I like your ideas and hope they listen. No matter how good they are word of mouth only goes so far. I do have one thing and it is what brought me over from the mass market cruise lines. I was tired of the nickel and diming, the chair hogs, and so-so food so in reality I was spending much more then my cruise price. Yes Azarmara is still more expensive but what it includes makes it a value.. I am sure they could attract more people like myself if they marketed themselves better as you mentioned I never have seen any material of a RCL or X ship about Azamara.

I am prepared to make compromises by booking an outside cabin instead of a veranda and cruising on Azamara less frequently but I fear that it won't be too long before I am forced to 'jump ship'.

I await Mr Pimentel's comments with interest.

I have been reading this thread with great interest and have been silent up until now.

I am very excited about my Azamara cruise next month but I am however not prepared to compromise my cabin choice for future sailings. Yes, I will always check the price for Azamara but will also look very closely at comparable cruise lines. Although not a big drinker, I did enjoy the all-inclusive package on Silverseas and the cabins are FANTASTIC.

The onboard Azamara experience is hard to beat but the pound in my pocket is hard to earn.

I have not sailed on Azamara yet but what I have always imagined are parallels with NCL freestyle which I loved when we sailed on Jade, although an upmarket version without the 'nickle and diming'. Celebrity is significantly more formal and based on recent experience, its clients like old style formality especially some that post on here. RCL, from what I have read and understood from talking to many RCL devotees, is family orientated, more about a 'big, full' holiday experience.

Azamara are possibly thinking a different client base for each of the three, and may prefer to keep it that way as they develop the full identity for each one. From a business perspective you do not want to steal clients from your own family business!

So looking at it that way, while on Celeb or RCL you are unlikely to see much if any advertising for azamara. It has also been said that Oceania sends out information to people who are never going to sail on them, what a waste of effort. I get brochures from P&O, Cunnard and another whose brand I cannot even remember. I do not even open them unless they have a destination I am interested in and intend doing it with another line. Dead money, expensive, pointless.

When Az market, it is likely to be aimed and not random, it is not cost effective given the small numbers they can accomodate to use a big budget on a huge campaign. We shall see, but there will be extensive marketing very soon I expect, starting on here looking at the interest this thread has generated. Then the 15th and Q and A. What next? ;)

Having cruised with Azamara I would be hesitant now in choosing another cruise line, although Oceania is now looking more appealing as they can now offer more modern spacious staterooms at a standard balcony rate abet their new ships are larger than Azamara ones.

Azamara do well in my eyes the following-

Small ships - passenger numbers just right.

Great service from all staff onboard and on my last cruise the shoreside arrangements were outstanding too.

Dress code is correct.

Open dining.

Wines included...I don't mind having other alcoholic drinks inc too.

No queuing for getting on/off ship, nor in Windows buffet.

Gratuities included, yes we do give extra though but that is our choice.

They met our expectations and in some areas exceeded them.

Azamara need to do the following to encourage future bookings and make a profit-

Implement an easier more accessible booking system for UK residents, make the prices fair and value for money for all future guests regardless of where they live in the world. No silly sale prices, just fair easy to follow pricing structures. Surely excessive staff time, wages and communcation costs are incurred with the current so called system if there is a system!?

Offer excursions that are just that bit more select than mainstream operators with limited numbers....who wants to be hearded along in droves, taken shopping and made to queue for a wee break?

With the new inclusivity pricing surely they must look at not charging for the speciality restaurants?

They cannot expect to charge the same rates as high end inclusive cruise lines that offer larger, higher quality staterooms, open dining without charging for speciality restaurants and newer ships.

I hope Azamara can make a profit by bringing in the new changes....good luck and we hope to sail with you in the near future at an appealing, value for money price that I can book easily.

Hello CintiPam -

In order to trouble-shoot this problem of your being contacted by Avoya Travel when you've requested to receive email updates directly from Azamara, we'll require the exact name and email address that you used in your request.

Please email that information to LeClubVoyage@AzamaraClubCruises.com. In the subject line, please use "Email me special offers from ACC." They've been alerted to look out for your response.

Thank for your assistance in solving this programming error and for your sharing your perceptions about our changes.

Best regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

Acting on Bill Leiber's post quoted directly above about receiving

special offers from Azamara, I entered my email address

in the Receive Special Offers field in the lower right

corner of the http://www.azamaraclubcruises.com home page

I made sure all boxes were unchecked EXCEPT the one to receive special

offers.

I double checked that the last box re Travel Agent contact was NOT checked.

Even though I took extra care to uncheck that box, I received a message from Avoya travel. That message is reproduced below as part of my message to LeClubVoyage@AzamaraClubCruises.com.

Note: I replied to message from Avoya Travel stating I did not want to receive offers from them and after 48 hours I do not have any reply stating that I will not receive more messages.

Again acting on Bill's advice here I sent the following message to LeClubVoyage@AzamaraClubCruises.com

Hello,

In response to Bill Leiber's posting on Cruise Critic about receiving

special offers from Azamara, I entered my email address

in the Receive Special Offers field in the lower right

corner of the http://www.azamaraclubcruises.com home page

I made sure all boxes were unchecked EXCEPT the one to receive special

offers.I double checked that the last box re Travel Agent contact was NOT checked.

I just received the email shown below.

Please ensure that I only receive special offers directly from Azamara

Club Cruises

I do not wish to receive any offers from Avoya Travel or any other travel

agency.

Thank you.

On 12-10-10 3:22 PM,

<Alex.Powers@AvoyaTravel.com> wrote:

I am the Azamara Club Cruises Customer Concierge at Avoya Travel™ /

American Express and was asked by Azamara Club Cruises that I follow up

with you on your recent request. I have assembled an elite team of

Azamara Club Cruise Experts dedicated to providing any information and

answer any questions that you might have, either via phone call or

e-mail, which ever you'd prefer.

In the meantime, I would like to make you aware of some great promotions

that Azamara Club Cruises is currently running. ...

I am excited about your interest in Azamara Club Cruises and look forward

to doing whatever we can to help you research and book your next

vacation.

As a result of sending that message to Le Club Voyage

I have received the following mail error message over last two days .

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification

Delivery to the following recipient has been delayed:

LeClubVoyage@AzamaraClubCruises.com

Message will be retried for 1 more day(s)

Technical details of temporary failure:

The recipient server did not accept our requests to connect. Learn more at http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?answer=7720

[(0) azamarclubcruises.com. [208.73.211.11]:25: Connection refused]

The web site is broken with regard to the checkbox re: offers from Travel Agent. It appears that the email address for Le Club Voyage is invalid or the server that handles mail for Azamara Club Cruises is also broken.

I have no reply from Azamara that I will receive offer messages from them, no reply from Avoya that I will not receive messages from them and it is apparently impossible to send a message to

LeClubVoyage@AzamaraClubCruises.com

Therefore, I am still looking for ways to ensure receipt of Azamara Special Offers, non-receipt of messages from Avoya and a functional email address for Le Club Voyage.

The entire experience reflects upon Azamara's ability to have lines of communication that work. In 2012 there are few acceptable excuses for situations such as this in which error is compounded upon error. Who would persist in the face of this set of obstacles?

Pam's comment above caused me to nod my head in the affirmative. It seems that nearly all are pleased with the Azamara experience from the time they step on board until the time they depart the ship at the end of the cruise. But the experience at all other times leaves much to be desired.

I booked directly with Azamara an April 2013 cruise in February. The only communication I have received from Azamara in seven months was one email confirming the booking.

I wonder how much of the problem is Azamara sharing services with the parent company's other cruise lines. I mean to offend no one with this analogy, but the Azamara product reminds me a tad of, say, Lincolns sold at an unattractive Ford dealership. There is a reason that luxury car makers want only their line sold by their retail partners and set certain standards for those dealerships.

I really don't understand what the fuss is about. I'm actually very happy with the announced changes. The more all inclusive, the better. And evening touring sounds great.

As for higher prices, it's supply and demand. If they don't sell out, I'm sure the prices will come down again. If they can sell for the higher prices, good for them. It's a business.

I've got 5 more cruises booked between now and the end of 2013, and just booked 4 more for 2014. Bring it :D

Floris

Pam's comment above caused me to nod my head in the affirmative. It seems that nearly all are pleased with the Azamara experience from the time they step on board until the time they depart the ship at the end of the cruise. But the experience at all other times leaves much to be desired.

I booked directly with Azamara an April 2013 cruise in February. The only communication I have received from Azamara in seven months was one email confirming the booking.

I wonder how much of the problem is Azamara sharing services with the parent company's other cruise lines. I mean to offend no one with this analogy, but the Azamara product reminds me a tad of, say, Lincolns sold at an unattractive Ford dealership. There is a reason that luxury car makers want only their line sold by their retail partners and set certain standards for those dealerships.

What communication would you expect?

What communication would you expect?

I am in same situation. Have been booked with Azamara for over a year and booked a second cruise (based purely on comments on CC). I have never had any communication from Azamara.

I would not expect anything cruise-specific (that comes from my TA), but I would expect to be on their email list for promotions and to receive promotional material in the mail. I get that from the other cruise lines I have been on. I understand that many on these boards receive those types of materials.

I really don't understand what the fuss is about. I'm actually very happy with the announced changes. The more all inclusive, the better. And evening touring sounds great.

not sure of the brands of booze but looking froward to not signing at the pool bar when i want a rum and coke. night tour sounds great.

As for higher prices, it's supply and demand. If they don't sell out, I'm sure the prices will come down again. If they can sell for the higher prices, good for them. It's a business.

i have been booked and ready for final payment and learn the price went down. .yet the ship was full. So i agree wih you for the prices.

I've got 5 more cruises booked between now and the end of 2013, and just booked 4 more for 2014. Bring it :D

Floris

a few more than you for 2013 and 2014. I booked summer 2014 knowing i can move them around.

Even if rooted in ignorance, my comment above was intended to be constructive. I did not use a TA--probably a mistake--and booked directly with Azamara. My prior experience was with Oceania. Because I booked directly with Azamara, I suppose I was looking for some level of engagement beyond the one email confirming the booking over seven months. Admittedly, my expectations may not be realistic. But I would expect as the date approaches for final payment some communication from Azamara, and certainly expect after final payment the same level of communication I experienced with Oceania.

I can only say that when I read Pam's email, my thought was that I never hear from these folks either.

However, my bigger point remains. I have read only positive comments about the Azamara experience after boarding but mixed comments about the Azamara experience at other times. A big selling point for Azamara in the past was very competitive pricing for the product. With luxury or near luxury line pricing, customer expectations, off the water as well as on the water, are going to increase.

... I wonder how much of the problem is Azamara sharing services with the parent company's other cruise lines...
You may be onto something. I think Azamara may be inadequately resourced as a stand-alone brand. We see website issues, communication issues, marketing gaffes. Either they have the right people who are stretched too thin or they have the wrong people. My dealings with shoreside Azamara have been very positive, so I suspect it's the former.

Anyone who thinks this new strategy is not a problem for Azamara should go over to the Oceania boards and read the thread "Oceania Newbie." Perhaps Messrs. Leiber and Pimentel should read it too. I think it speaks volumes.

Well I went and looked and it was someone who has been on here (their opinion is their own), who is asking about travel for singles provision on O, then says she has 7 cabins full of friends coming too because she got such a good deal. What various people are trying to get accross is that there are deals to had with Azamara, if people are not getting them try a different TA perhaps.

Well I have bought 2 A sailings so I am an Azamara Newbie' it means nothing, people move around all the time depending on want and deal. I also know about several other Aza newbies booked for sailings from Nov 2013 through to April 2014, so far!

Well I went and looked and it was someone who has been on here (their opinion is their own), who is asking about travel for singles provision on O, then says she has 7 cabins full of friends coming too because she got such a good deal. What various people are trying to get accross is that there are deals to had with Azamara, if people are not getting them try a different TA perhaps.

Well I have bought 2 A sailings so I am an Azamara Newbie' it means nothing, people move around all the time depending on want and deal. I also know about several other Aza newbies booked for sailings from Nov 2013 through to April 2014, so far!

I think she said something more (her words speak for themselves). This is the critical part IMO

"I still love AZ but they priced me out of this sailing . . .I have to say - Azamara seemed to care less about getting us on - and here we ALL were _Discoverer Level_!!!!! The sailing I am on O is pretty full - only Balcony and up left and AZ is wide open but still no sales are on."

Oh well! the Q and A on the 15th should be very interesting, maybe there will be a few rabbits up Mr Pimentels sleeves ;)

Rabbits? or do you mean "slight of hand," like the disappearing 50% off Land discoveries.

I have just read the Oceania thread. I really hope that cindilouwho will not be disappointed with her Oceania cruise.....but I fear she may be. From her past posts on the Az board I know she is a fun loving and social person who enjoys a drink and a dance. Luckily, she will have a group of friends with her, so that might help.

My partner Dan and I did an Oceania cruise on Marina in July. It was like a Ghost Ship after 10:30 pm. Everyone went to bed! The only people up were our group of cruise buddies who enjoyed a Martini or two. We made our own entertainment.....but trust me, it was nothing like the fun to be had on White Night or in The Looking Glass. The Oceania entertainment was dire and the Officers were never seen around the ship. Neither was the Captain.

Cindilouwho was asking about facilities for single travellers on Oceania. Well, they apparently had a solo hostess......she did a few "scarf tying" classes during the cruise and that was it. NOT my idea of fascinating entertainment! :eek: We met two solo travellers, both ladies in their 40's and they were not at all impressed with the facilities for solo's. They told us they felt awkward eating alone in the Speciality Restaurants and did not feel people were that friendly or welcoming to them. We were though.....and they joined us often for meals and trips. I told them that would not happen on an Azamara ship, everyone is so nice and you almost become like friends for the duration of your cruise.

Marina is a very beautiful and modern ship and Azamara staterooms cannot compare to the luxury on Marina and I think the MDR on Marina is the most beautiful one at sea......but I also think Az food is better, crew MUCH better and the new Az entertainment beats the poor offerings by Oceania hands down. There was an almost painfully bad local dance troupe one night and an even worse comedian. Contrast that with the amazing Flamenco show that Russ organised for us on Quest last week. It was azamazing. :D

And don't get me started on the appalling Tender organisation.....be prepared to wait at least 45 mins for your ticket to get off the ship!

All this is my opinion of course, Oceania "cheerleaders" will differ, but for me, Azamara is much more my "cup of tea" anyday.

We are all different aren't we? I suppose that is why I will continue to book with Azamara.....and hope this foolish change to Azamara prices and the really not needed "all/more inclusive" is rethought by Larry P and AZ management. If it isn't.....and people do carry out their threat to walk away from Azamara, then I think I may get some late bargain deals next year! :rolleyes:

Archived