Carry On Only?

janetz

I learned years ago never to pack valuables in a roll aboard, only my tote bag. This includes jewelry, camera, makeup and passports. I've had to gate check a couple times and they do not give you time to search through your roll aboard to retrieve these items.

I always lock my roll aboard for the same reason, you never know when you will be asked to gate check. Especially a 22 inch case. I sell luggage part time and we've been hearing plenty of customers state their bag was just too big for the overhead bin and not only forced to gate check, but pay the luggage fee for it. Luggage manufacturers are trying to keep up with the requirements, but the rules can change, sizes vary by airline/plane or you may be at the will of a gate agent in a foul mood.

I've switched to a roll aboard that is only about 15" high, plus a small tote bag. I doubt I could pack for any length of trip in those, maybe an overnight. I just don't want to be a pack mule when traveling. I don't like paying luggage fees, but just have to plan for it as part of travel expenses.

I always lock my roll aboard for the same reason, you never know when you will be asked to gate check. Especially a 22 inch case. I sell luggage part time and we've been hearing plenty of customers state their bag was just too big for the overhead bin and not only forced to gate check, but pay the luggage fee for it. Luggage manufacturers are trying to keep up with the requirements, but the rules can change, sizes vary by airline/plane or you may be at the will of a gate agent in a foul mood.

I have a 22" carry-on bag. Most times this isn't a problem, but I couldn't help but laugh one time when the gate agent told me that my carry-on bag wouldn't fit in the overhead bin on the very same airplane that I just walked off (connecting flight) where it had ridden in the overhead bin.

I have a 22" carry-on bag. Most times this isn't a problem, but I couldn't help but laugh one time when the gate agent told me that my carry-on bag wouldn't fit in the overhead bin on the very same airplane that I just walked off (connecting flight) where it had ridden in the overhead bin.

They probably meant wheels in. Many carriers encourage passengers to only carry on suitcases that will fit wheels in as to leave room for others. You can typically fit three wheels in suitcase, but only two sideways.

On a number of bin configurations, the preferred position is wheels OUT, with the top handle in first. The base is the thickest and most rigid part of the bag, and best near the bin door. And even then, sometimes it's best to have it upside down, with the wheels out and up.

Everyone just tries to cram it in any way they can fit it in. Then there is the people that don't have enough strength to lift it up and they wait for someone to lift it for them. Once your seated it is like a show watching people cram their overhead luggage in, then cram other things like coats that should not be in there. Then there is always the people who block the ailes. It is unbelievable.

After looking at the price of checking a bag on Delta and the size you are allowed we are going to pack carryon's only for a 9 day trip to Florida. How many of you only use a carry on and can you offer any tips for packing? Roll or bundle? Also if DH has a 22 inch rolling carryon can he also have a back pack, not overly stuffed, as "his purse"? lol Thanks ahead. :)

Each of You may want to consider applying for a Delta AMEX credit card. If you use it to book your DL flight you get the first cheked bag free. You also get 30k flight points, which could qualify you for a free domestic flight.

Each of You may want to consider applying for a Delta AMEX credit card. If you use it to book your DL flight you get the first cheked bag free. You also get 30k flight points, which could qualify you for a free domestic flight.

You only got 30K Delta miles for their card? I got 25K with my first purchase and will get another 45K once I meet my minimum spend requirement, which should be in a month or two. But such offers change often, so it is always best to wait for a good offer if you are not in immediate need of a card.

You only got 30K Delta miles for their card? I got 25K with my first purchase and will get another 45K once I meet my minimum spend requirement, which should be in a month or two. But such offers change often, so it is always best to wait for a good offer if you are not in immediate need of a card.

Their current offer is 30k which isn't too bad, given that it only requires $500 in spending within 3 months.

We applied for a "AX gold card" and was promised 30,000 ff miles after spending $500 the first month which we did and that was back in July.

I called in August to find out where our free miles were and the girl said to check back in October. I checked three weeks ago and she created a new file and sent it to the redemption office. I called yesterday and was told that because we alrady had an AX card that we did not qualify for it.

So after 20 minutes on hold she came back with they would give us 25,000 miles and she could give us 3000 miles so we were now up to 28,000 miles. I said I will take it. We applied for this new card at the airport and were never told of the condition that if we had a previous card we did not qualify for the 30,000 miles.

So those of you out there applying make sure you check all of the conditions because you are still paying the $95.00 per year fee. It is worth it to us for the checked bag and "slightly" priority boarding after all the really important people. We are still in Zone 1 which is good for us.

Happy flying and sailing.

Archived