Carry On Only?

janetz

Pros and cons both sides! I used to check a bag but found that I packed many items I never needed or used so I now only carry on-no matter how long I will be gone. I have, over time purchased clothing basics that are perfect for traveling and can be laundered easily. While it may not appeal to everyone, I enjoy the challenge of choosing clothing and accessories that not only give me choices but will fit into a 21 inch roll aboard. No, I don't wear the same thing every day and I don't dress in one color. I also take a tote as my "personal item" that will fit under the seat. As for liquids-there are many small containers that one can buy and fill with your favorite toiletries. I like the idea that my "stuff" is with me and that I don't have to worry that it will be lost. I wouldn't want to have to get on a cruise with just the clothing I am wearing! Having fewer options means that I spend less of my vacation time looking at all my clothing and trying to decide what to wear.

Having said this, each needs to decide for themselves how they want to travel. If having lots of options will make your vacation more enjoyable then check a bag. If you decide to go the all carry on route just take some time to plan and make the most of your limited space. I believe there were posts on this topic on the "Cruise Fashion and Beauty" board.

As for purchases, I too have mailed home a flat rate box and was amazed at just how much I could pack in freeing up space for items I had purchased.

Bottom line is "to each his own" just enjoy your trip!

Pros and cons both sides! I used to check a bag but found that I packed many items I never needed or used so I now only carry on-no matter how long I will be gone. I have, over time purchased clothing basics that are perfect for traveling and can be laundered easily. While it may not appeal to everyone, I enjoy the challenge of choosing clothing and accessories that not only give me choices but will fit into a 21 inch roll aboard. No, I don't wear the same thing every day and I don't dress in one color. I also take a tote as my "personal item" that will fit under the seat. As for liquids-there are many small containers that one can buy and fill with your favorite toiletries. I like the idea that my "stuff" is with me and that I don't have to worry that it will be lost. I wouldn't want to have to get on a cruise with just the clothing I am wearing! Having fewer options means that I spend less of my vacation time looking at all my clothing and trying to decide what to wear.

Having said this, each needs to decide for themselves how they want to travel. If having lots of options will make your vacation more enjoyable then check a bag. If you decide to go the all carry on route just take some time to plan and make the most of your limited space. I believe there were posts on this topic on the "Cruise Fashion and Beauty" board.

As for purchases, I too have mailed home a flat rate box and was amazed at just how much I could pack in freeing up space for items I had purchased.

Bottom line is "to each his own" just enjoy your trip!

And YOU are my hero. :)

You're going to reduce what items you can take, and hope you can find enough overhead (or under seat) space for the bags (while other people are also wanting to find space for their bags), so save the cost of baggage fees on a 9-day trip? How much total do you think you'll spend on your trip? Can you not afford the fees, but can afford the rest of the trip? Hope you can board early. Trying to include a true carry-on bag as a personal item? Lots of people try that. Some get away with it. You may piss off some fellow passengers who feel they have as much right to space (planes just aren't made to accommodate that many bags for everyone). Good luck.

Last November DH and I went to NYC with our moms. My dear MIL was seriously upset that I had " cheated" the system by carrying on a small roller and my decently sized backpack. She mentioned it once, or twice or thirty ish times, and even brought it up when we were discussing DH and my upcoming cruise.

I have pretty much always done this and other than her no one has ever mentioned it.

Leaving SFO a few weeks ago I noticed the signs in the security lines showing what each passenger was allowed. I took a picture to show her next time she mentions it, I'll see if I can find it, but it plainly showed there was nothing wrong with this.

It showed various types of "carry ons", rollers,duffles, etc, and then showed pics of acceptable "personal items". Purse, coat, umbrella, BACKPACK...

I have always put my backpack under the seat, that way I can access it without getting up. I also don't have that pesky long leg problem so I am not uncomfortable doing this. DH could never pull this off. Sometimes being short has its perks!

Last November DH and I went to NYC with our moms. My dear MIL was seriously upset that I had " cheated" the system by carrying on a small roller and my decently sized backpack. She mentioned it once, or twice or thirty ish times, and even brought it up when we were discussing DH and my upcoming cruise.

I have pretty much always done this and other than her no one has ever mentioned it.

Leaving SFO a few weeks ago I noticed the signs in the security lines showing what each passenger was allowed. I took a picture to show her next time she mentions it, I'll see if I can find it, but it plainly showed there was nothing wrong with this.

It showed various types of "carry ons", rollers,duffles, etc, and then showed pics of acceptable "personal items". Purse, coat, umbrella, BACKPACK...

I have always put my backpack under the seat, that way I can access it without getting up. I also don't have that pesky long leg problem so I am not uncomfortable doing this. DH could never pull this off. Sometimes being short has its perks!

Thanks for this. After so many conflicting answers, your post and another on a different thread have confirmed that a rolling carryon (22 inch) and a backpack that can go under the seat is good.:) Thanks again.

After looking at the price of checking a bag on Delta and the size you are allowed we are going to pack carryon's only for a 9 day trip to Florida. How many of you only use a carry on and can you offer any tips for packing? Roll or bundle? Also if DH has a 22 inch rolling carryon can he also have a back pack, not overly stuffed, as "his purse"? lol Thanks ahead. :)

I have done a 3 week trip to Europe including a river cruise with a carry-on bag. I did some research into this before the trip. I decided to stick with a few basic colors - black, grey and black and white herringbone for my slacks. This was the fall so I could go with those colors. Summertime you could do khaki. Then for the tops I chose teal and maroon. I also chose a teal dress. I brought a large scarf with both of those colors to dress up outfits, wear as a shawl and to put over me on my overnight flight. I could mix and match with ease. You can do it and it does become much easier when traveling.

After looking at the price of checking a bag on Delta and the size you are allowed we are going to pack carryon's only for a 9 day trip to Florida. How many of you only use a carry on and can you offer any tips for packing? Roll or bundle? Also if DH has a 22 inch rolling carryon can he also have a back pack, not overly stuffed, as "his purse"? lol Thanks ahead. :)

I just got back from a 9 day trip to Italy and only took a 20" roll aboard (checked it but could have carried it on, size-wise) and a large tote bag. I only took 2 pair of shoes; wore the bulkier pair and packed the smaller sandals. Took a limited number of bottoms in neutral colors and wore a couple of times each. Took tops that color coordinated with all of the bottoms. I did have access to a washer/dryer so that helped some. For a cruise, it helps if you either skip the formal wear, or take something that doesn't take a lot of space, like jersey knits. Skip the extra "just in case" stuff; you can always pick up a new top or sweater if you really get desperately low on clean clothes. :)

Using the philosophy that things can be worn more than once, do double duty, and should be color coordinated to limit how many shoes etc. are needed, I once packed for a 3 night cruise using just a medium size Vera Bradley tote. Wore a sundress and flip flops for travel, and then used the sundress as a pool cover up. Packed a jersey knit maxi dress for formal night, and a pair of white pants for the other 2 nights with 2 different tops. One pair of dressy sandals that worked with all 3 outfits. One bathing suit, 1 pair of shorts, 1 tank top and minimal toiletries. We dressed for the pool when we got up and didn't change until dinner time.

The OP makes a good case for not flying Delta. The way to deal with all the extra fees is to vote with your dollars and business. From Boston you can easily get a JetBlue flight nonstop to FLL for less money then on Delta and you get to check one bag(each) free. Personally, we drive out of our way to fly either Southwest or JetBlue for just this reason.

Hank

The OP makes a good case for not flying Delta. The way to deal with all the extra fees is to vote with your dollars and business. From Boston you can easily get a JetBlue flight nonstop to FLL for less money then on Delta and you get to check one bag(each) free. Personally, we drive out of our way to fly either Southwest or JetBlue for just this reason.

Hank

Yes, those airlines are our choice. We fly from Boston, Hartford or Albany. However, as I stated previously, we needed to fly into Daytona. Delta is about the only option we had. Otherwise, we would not even look at Delta. :)

Yes, those airlines are our choice. We fly from Boston, Hartford or Albany. However, as I stated previously, we needed to fly into Daytona. Delta is about the only option we had. Otherwise, we would not even look at Delta. :)

Yeah, we hear you. In fact we are flying Delta in a few months to Puerto Vallarta. We held our nose and booked. Originally we had 1 1/2 hours to change planes in Atlanta which is great. Last week they cancelled our flight totally and the only other option was to fly to PV two days later then we had planned. We said fine. They then changed our first flight times so we now have 41 minutes to change planes in Atlanta with a change between distant terminals. Delta tells us that as long as we have 40 min it is legal although they admit it is a stretch. You have to love this airline :) DW says she cannot remember the last time we booked a Delta flight more then a few months in advance and actually ended up with the same flights and times as originally booked.

Hank

DW says she cannot remember the last time we booked a Delta flight more then a few months in advance and actually ended up with the same flights and times as originally booked.

For me that is the huge plus of flying Delta. I book something that I can live with, knowing that Delta will probably change the schedule so I can call them up and book what I really wanted with no additional charge. But one has to do their homework before calling, volunteering the flights that they want to be rebooked on. Almost always works like a charm. If not, hang up and call back. :)

There are two of us and we always do carry ons only. Our bags are 21" and they meet all of the check in requirements (even Lufthansa). We also carry smaller bags that will fit under the seat and I usually wear a Scottivest. Have not had any problems on week long cruises and now my wife considers it a challenge to pack in carry ons. We found that we really did not need many of the things that we use to pack and there were always things that we packed that we did not use. We usually have priority access so getting a bin is not a problem and we don't have to wait for our bags (or look for lost luggage). We do carry ons to save time and avoid lost luggage primarily.

I've done carry on only for cruises but my husband and I are both small people.

The airlines are cracking down on carry on luggage size and number of pieces. The first barrier is the checker in front of the TSA checkpoints who, especially at LAX, DFW and Atlantic, can be fierce. You can be sent back to the ticket counter to check bags and could miss your flight.

How much stress can you handle?

We're not small people, and we've done as long as 19 nights with carry-on only.:)

I fly all the time for work and never check a bag on work trips or vacation (including 2 week Med cruise + 1 week land travel, 10 day N. Europe, etc.). I have legal sized rollerboard suitcase and a backpack that fits under the seat.

To me it's not the cost of checked luggage (I'd gladly pay for a bag rather than fly Southwest), but the flexibility. If anything happens with my flights or I want to take a different flight, the first question I'm asked is "do you have checked bags?" I've seen many people denied changes because they do have checked bags. Also, I don't have to wait 15-45 minutes to pick up luggage after I arrive--I'm often in my rental car or on transportation before bags would be out for pickup.

I make sure that I have items that go with many different pieces. For example, in the Med, I packed 2 pairs of lightweight black pants, a black knit skirt and 3 pairs of lightweight capris. All of the tops I took could go with pretty much any of the bottoms. Use every inch of the suitcase as others have said--inside shoes (only need 2 pairs packed at most), etc. Be prepared to do laundry.

If you pack the bag so heavy that you would have trouble lifting it, check it. You will not have help to put a heavy bag in the overhead bin (unless a friendly passenger offers to help). Also, if you get to the gate and are in a late boarding group be prepared to check the bag at the door of the plane--get valuables out, etc. (no cost for this on anyone but Spirit).

Good advice here especially about lifting your bag into the overhead as well as gate checking if flight is full. Most flights are really full these days and gate agents usually ask pax to check their carry on without charge and it goes to your final destination. Sometimes this request gets enough takers that those last to board are able to find room in the overhead. I wouldn't count on it so be prepared to possibly have to gate check. Make sure your valuables(incl meds) stay with you and that you are prepared to lock your bag that will be checked.

If you pack the bag so heavy that you would have trouble lifting it, check it. You will not have help to put a heavy bag in the overhead bin (unless a friendly passenger offers to help).

Please, please only pack a bag that you can lift. Earlier this month a woman literally dropped her rollerbag on my head. No joke. It was not fun, especially since I was not even looking at her putting the bag overhead and was not expecting it at all.

Q. Where is the most dangerous place to sit on an aircraft?

A. The aisle seats, because that's who gets cabin baggage dropped onto their heads.

I'll never forget in 2004 when I was heading to Europe to study abroad (or a broad?) in college, and that happened on the takeoff roll of my BA ORD-LHR flight. Luckily it was a very light bag, but could have been baddddd.

Q. Where is the most dangerous place to sit on an aircraft?

A. The aisle seats, because that's who gets cabin baggage dropped onto their heads.

Honestly I much prefer window seats than aisle seats but it was not possible on this flight.

Not only did I have a rollerbag dropped on my head, but a flight attendant rammed into my arm (not extended very much at all past the armrest, but she was literally running from back to front well before takeoff). Then there are people who put their hands on every aisle seat on both sides of the plane as they move in the aisle.

DH and I will actually be checking one suitcase this upcoming cruise for the first time. Can't figure out how to do a 14 night with only carry-on:rolleyes: especially when DH decided to buy a tux. That just pushed us over the top because then I decided to buy a gown.;)

Usually though, one 22 inch roller-board each plus a smaller backpack is plenty. It isn't just about the cost for us but the convenience of not waiting for luggage, getting around easier, and not having to deal with lost luggage.

Flight is at 7 on Sat am. After being sure to get the right sized carryons, and still debating checking a medium sized suitcase I think if I see anyone with anything larger then what we have, which is Delta's size, it will send me over the edge. :o I may not be able to keep my mouth shut.;) This has been a very informative thread.

I just got back from a 9 day trip to Italy and only took a 20" roll aboard (checked it but could have carried it on, size-wise) and a large tote bag. I only took 2 pair of shoes; wore the bulkier pair and packed the smaller sandals. Took a limited number of bottoms in neutral colors and wore a couple of times each. Took tops that color coordinated with all of the bottoms. I did have access to a washer/dryer so that helped some. For a cruise, it helps if you either skip the formal wear, or take something that doesn't take a lot of space, like jersey knits. Skip the extra "just in case" stuff; you can always pick up a new top or sweater if you really get desperately low on clean clothes. :)

Using the philosophy that things can be worn more than once, do double duty, and should be color coordinated to limit how many shoes etc. are needed, I once packed for a 3 night cruise using just a medium size Vera Bradley tote. Wore a sundress and flip flops for travel, and then used the sundress as a pool cover up. Packed a jersey knit maxi dress for formal night, and a pair of white pants for the other 2 nights with 2 different tops. One pair of dressy sandals that worked with all 3 outfits. One bathing suit, 1 pair of shorts, 1 tank top and minimal toiletries. We dressed for the pool when we got up and didn't change until dinner time.

Wow you are amazing....

Archived