Carry On Only?

janetz

Wow you are amazing....

I agree! :) Here I am at the LaQuinta in Hartford with my carryon, DH has a carryon we have a 54inch suitcase. PACKED and only 31 pounds! So much for carryon's only. :)

Believe me, there was a time when I packed WAY more heavily. Then I started realizing how much I packed and didn't wear. I'd end up wearing the same comfy pair of pants 2 or 3 nights during the week instead of a different pair each and every night. And if I didn't spill anything I'd often wear my favorite top or two a 2nd time each. As for daywear, as I said before, we usually dress for the pool when we get up, so I'd end up with multiple shorts and tops that went unworn. I don't always pack as lightly as I did in the examples I gave, but I've learned how to pack a lot lighter on average than I used to.

Flight is at 7 on Sat am. After being sure to get the right sized carryons, and still debating checking a medium sized suitcase I think if I see anyone with anything larger then what we have, which is Delta's size, it will send me over the edge. :o I may not be able to keep my mouth shut.;) This has been a very informative thread.

Be careful if you're purchasing new luggage, not all cases that are sold as 22" (most max size) are carry on size for all airlines. I sell luggage part time and what we used to tell customers was within range, I now say the luggage manufacturer states it is sized for carry on is no guaranty.

I've sized my roll aboard down to an 18" and add a tote, no way I could pack for a cruise in those 2 cases. I use half my carry on for just my makeup, hair brushes and other accoutrements I can't be without for a week ;)

Be careful if you're purchasing new luggage, not all cases that are sold as 22" (most max size) are carry on size for all airlines. I sell luggage part time and what we used to tell customers was within range, I now say the luggage manufacturer states it is sized for carry on is no guaranty.

I've sized my roll aboard down to an 18" and add a tote, no way I could pack for a cruise in those 2 cases. I use half my carry on for just my makeup, hair brushes and other accoutrements I can't be without for a week ;)

We are good. Thanks :)

I noticed most of you mention packing clothes, shopping treasures, etc. How do you all handle toiletries and such?

We're doing a 4-day Bahamas cruise and thought it would be neat to try doing it carry-on only for the both of us on the plane, but wondering if it's possible to get past TSA legally (not sneaking it past) with things like shampoo, shaving cream, toothpaste, etc.

I noticed most of you mention packing clothes, shopping treasures, etc. How do you all handle toiletries and such?

We're doing a 4-day Bahamas cruise and thought it would be neat to try doing it carry-on only for the both of us on the plane, but wondering if it's possible to get past TSA legally (not sneaking it past) with things like shampoo, shaving cream, toothpaste, etc.

For a 4 day cruise, you should have no problem using travel sizes of most liquid/gel products. You'd be surprised how many you can pack into a qt. size ziploc bag, and if you've each got a carry on, you can each take ziploc of liquids/gels. I recently packed one with travel sizes of shampoo, conditioner, deodorant, toothpaste, hairspray, face wash, moisturizer and nail polish, plus a travel size jar of liquid makeup, an eye pencil, a sample size mascara, a lipstick and a hand sanitizer. If you're the kind of person who insists on a 7 step face washing process, with all sorts cleaners, toners, moisturizers and eye creams, and different ones for day and night, you may need to pare down to the basics, which you should be able to manage for a 4 day cruise. :)

Keep in mind most cruise lines provide shampoo, conditioner, and lotion in the cabin. No need to bring your own unless you're very picky. :) Also research if the departure city has a drugstore or grocery store near the docks. Just run in and buy what you need for the cruise.

We can go up to 7 days with legal size carry-ons. One tactic is to pack old underwear and socks. Wear them one last time then discard them. It frees up space for souvenirs. We've done several 10-14 day trips by planning to do laundry halfway through the trip, and discarding in the last half of the trip.

...We can go up to 7 days with legal size carry-ons. One tactic is to pack old underwear and socks. Wear them one last time then discard them. It frees up space for souvenirs. We've done several 10-14 day trips by planning to do laundry halfway through the trip, and discarding in the last half of the trip.

And if you turn them inside out, you can get another day out of them.:eek:

And if you turn them inside out, you can get another day out of them.:eek:

LOL!! The "discard" idea gets a lot of eeeww reactions but IMO it's actually more "yucky" to haul dirty items home rather than discreetly throwing them out.

LOL!! The "discard" idea gets a lot of eeeww reactions but IMO it's actually more "yucky" to haul dirty items home rather than discreetly throwing them out.

That's why you put them in a plastic bag ;) No more "yucky" IMO than packing shoes. I always pack an empty plastic grocery bag for dirty clothes on the way home - it doubles as a laundry bag when I'm there.

Here we are in sunny Florida. We arrived at the airport with our 54 inch suitcase that weighed in at 31...Yeah, room for shopping. :D We waited to board with our 22 inch rolling carryons, brand spanking new. Row 21, we were in zone 3. When we got on and got to our seat there was no room left in the over head bins. So our bags and three others had to be checked to Daytona. I had to get off the plane, and scamble for my jewery, meds and totally forgot my very pricey camera. So, there go our two unlocked carryons...see you in Daytona. I was pretty ticked off. :mad: Anyways, they did show up with everything inside. After getting tossed about they do not look new anymore. :) I guess I will try to board with zone two coming home even though I am 3. Maybe then I can keep my bags over my head. :cool:

I guess I will try to board with zone two coming home even though I am 3. Maybe then I can keep my bags over my head. :cool:

Unfortunately, based on what I've seen, you will be allowed to board :(

Here's to hoping they deny you boarding until your proper zone. Nothing personal, that's just irritating to see when you try to play by the rules.

Unfortunately, based on what I've seen, you will be allowed to board :(

Here's to hoping they deny you boarding until your proper zone. Nothing personal, that's just irritating to see when you try to play by the rules.

Well really, I was kidding. ;) but it was amazing to see everyone behind us already onboard.

Have you considered a zip-loc?? :D

Actually, now that I've found extra-large sized zip-loc bags, I'm going to use one of them in the future -- before they were simply too small (and more expensive) than plastic bags. Ziploc bags don't hang in the closet, but I'll learn to deal.

Well really, I was kidding. ;) but it was amazing to see everyone behind us already onboard.

What do you mean by, "everyone behind us?" Perhaps the people onboard already were in a prior boarding zone?? Unfortunately, if you are not one of the airline's very frequent flyers (i.e. you have some sort of elite status with them) or buy a more expensive ticket (might still be a coach class ticket, just not one the most highly discounted coach tickets) you will likely be in the last or next to last zone to board and will often find the overhead bins full. Be prepared, with valuables in something small that allows you to quickly and easily take them out of your carryon to place under the seat in front of you in case the overheads ARE full when you board and you have to gate check your larger roll aboard carry on.

Keep in mind most cruise lines provide shampoo, conditioner, and lotion in the cabin.

Not sure about others but on Royal Carib, unless you are in a suite, you get a wall-mounted dispenser of all-in-one shampoo/conditioner. Ask just about any female and they will tell you the stuff isn't worth a crap. Maybe as shampoo/body wash, but it definitely does not serve as conditioner, particularly for long and/or color treated hair, so bringing your own conditioner IS a must on RC.

What do you mean by, "everyone behind us?" Perhaps the people onboard already were in a prior boarding zone?? Unfortunately, if you are not one of the airline's very frequent flyers (i.e. you have some sort of elite status with them) or buy a more expensive ticket (might still be a coach class ticket, just not one the most highly discounted coach tickets) you will likely be in the last or next to last zone to board and will often find the overhead bins full. Be prepared, with valuables in something small that allows you to quickly and easily take them out of your carryon to place under the seat in front of you in case the overheads ARE full when you board and you have to gate check your larger roll aboard carry on.

Already happened. :) We did have to gate check. What I am saying is that people in zone three had boarded with 2...We waited until called, as we should

For a 4 day cruise, you should have no problem using travel sizes of most liquid/gel products. You'd be surprised how many you can pack into a qt. size ziploc bag, and if you've each got a carry on, you can each take ziploc of liquids/gels. I recently packed one with travel sizes of shampoo, conditioner, deodorant, toothpaste, hairspray, face wash, moisturizer and nail polish, plus a travel size jar of liquid makeup, an eye pencil, a sample size mascara, a lipstick and a hand sanitizer. If you're the kind of person who insists on a 7 step face washing process, with all sorts cleaners, toners, moisturizers and eye creams, and different ones for day and night, you may need to pare down to the basics, which you should be able to manage for a 4 day cruise. :)

Thanks for the info. I will have to go check out the travel size section at the local stores and see what I can find. I'm not picky and am more than happy to use the cruise ship shampoo/body wash. Wife on the other hand....well, that's another story. In January, I lost a brand new can of shaving cream when it accidentally ended up in the carry-on instead of the checked back. Don't want to repeat that.

Will also have to go get us a quart sized bag. This should be fun....:)

May end up checking a bag, but for such a short cruise, thought it would be neat to try travelling carry-on only.

Already happened. :) We did have to gate check. What I am saying is that people in zone three had boarded with 2...We waited until called, as we should

I'm always curious when someone says this. Do you know for a fact that everyone (or a lot of people) from zone 3 boarded with zone 2? How do you know? Did you poll the pax? Did you see everyone's boarding pass? :confused:

Depending on the airline, there may not have been many zone 3 pax to begin with. On Delta for instance, by the time you get through the pre-boards (elderly or disabled, those with babies/small children), the 1st class pax, the high lever elites who didn't get upgraded, the lower level elites who didn't get upgraded, the airline credit card holders, pax who booked economy comfort, the pax who are traveling with someone in one of these groups, and then those who perhaps got zone 2 because of where their seats are or what they paid for their ticket, there may be only a handful who actually have zone 3 on their BP.

Thanks for the info. I will have to go check out the travel size section at the local stores and see what I can find.

Will also have to go get us a quart sized bag. This should be fun....:)

Bed, Bath and Beyond usually has a huge wall of travel size toiletries. I also find a pretty good selection at Target and CVS. You can also usually find empty plastic bottles in travel sizes, that you can fill and re-fill yourself to save on the cost of always buying travel sizes. Obviously that won't work for something like shaving cream, but works well for shampoo, conditioner, etc.

As for quart bags, a regular quart size Ziploc bag is fine. If you prefer, you can find slightly heavier duty quart size bags either on the aisle where you get the travel size shampoo etc. or in the luggage section where they have travel accessories.

We switched to carry-on only a few years ago in order to be able to rush to another flight if we had an intermediary flight and to avoid fees. I never will win the best dressed award but I have packed for several 2 week trips to Europe and 1 to China with more clothes than I used and room for small souvenirs (think stuff that packs flat, t-shirts, Xmas decorations). Jeans can be used more than once and nice pants work on most cruises with a change of a top and some nice sandals. Sweater sets are also good because while they take up a little more space even rolled they work for layering and reusing (go down to the shell if it is hot, wear the sweater another day without the shell) and look neat enough for dinner-you can change the jewelry. Shoes are my biggest problem because I like more than two pairs and we walk a lot everywhere we go. Sometimes we have to check stuff in Europe where they are fussier in most airports we have been in than in the US but usually it is not a big problem.

However, seeing that someone's cabin carry-on got checked at the last minute and this happens to all of us sometimes who do not get to board early, it bears reminding people to put meds, passports, jewelry and camera in the underseat bag that for sure will not go out of your possession.

Lastly as said a few pages ago, to each his own. We do not want to pay that "little extra" to check luggage or board early but that is up to the individual. And really lastly, you can pack a lot of travel size items in a quart freezer bag and they never question how full it is as long as the bag closes properly. I always have my favorite shampoo and conditioners (some economy hotels and many river boats have a brand I do not like), liquid meds, sunscreen, bug spray, body lotion, tide, spot cleaner, antiseptic ointment or whatever a particular trip might require in that little bag. You can get something good enough in a supermarket or drugstore where you go, but there is not always time to search for one.

Archived