Sea Sickness Treatment

ticktoneer

My husband is another one who swears by ginger tablets. He gets seasick, car sick, even sick on a glider/bench.

He starts taking the ginger 2-3 days before we sail and has not had issues since he began doing so, even on our TA with very rough seas.

Im a dreadful traveller in car, plane, so for every cruise Ive taken sturgeron from our leading high street pharmacy...(not sure if I can name it on here ). I start taking it the day before we leave and for the first day at sea , then the last sea day home. On our last three cruises weve travelled down from Newcastle to Southampton by coach and had a couple of VERY stormy days on the Bay of Biscay and Ive been absolutely fine. The other tip I can give is have some crystalised ginger to suck if its very rocky and try to get some fresh air if you can.

Meclizine for prevention before a cruise. Then I stop taking middle of the first sea day if its on the calm side. If I get queasy, which I have, ginger took care of it. I carry some ginger capsules on all cruises.

After riding Mission Space at Epcot (worst experience of my life, I'd rather give birth or have my teeth drilled) I found a box of ginger snaps in the shop in "Norway". I believe those cookies are the reason that I am still alive today.

I had the same thing happen to me on Mission Space at Epcot. Thought I was going to die! Worse experience! Wish I had know about Ginger then.

I also take Meclizine .....starting the evening before I cruise and each afternoon thereafter. I just purchased a new bottle for my cruise on Sunday at Wal-Mart. It was behind the pharmacy counter.....100 pills for $5.98.....chewable 25mg. I have never felt sick on a cruise since I started taking Meclizine . I also take it the night before I take my kids to Disney.....as even the carousel makes me dizzy!

We have used Motion Eaze with great success. It's a liquid you rub behind your ear. Walmart carries it, as does Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/MOTION-EAZE-LIQUID-Size-2-5/dp/B002D6M94E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1350408970&sr=8-2&keywords=motionease

Thanks Granny! I am going to try this. I usually take Bonine every 12 hrs but it does make me drowsy.

do any of you drink moderately while taking the bonine/Meclizine?

Yes, I do. By moderately, I mean a couple of mixed drinks before dinner usually with a few munchies along with the drinks. No drowsiness or other side effects that were noticeable to me, but the same medication can affect different people in various ways so be cautious.:)

I use phernagen tablets (bought over the counter from my local pharmacy) and think they're amazing! I feel ill really easily in a car/plane or on a ship and these work brilliantly, never had any side effects even after a enjoying some wine or cocktails plus they're only £4 for about 60 tablets! :D

Louise

You may wish to try: VitaMotion-S Motion Sickness Spray

It has very good results, doesn't make you sleepy and has no or little side affects. Very easy to use too. Suggested by a racing yacht family and can't believe how good it is!:D

I use phernagen tablets (bought over the counter from my local pharmacy) and think they're amazing! I feel ill really easily in a car/plane or on a ship and these work brilliantly, never had any side effects even after a enjoying some wine or cocktails plus they're only £4 for about 60 tablets! :D

Louise

Phenergan is a drug that requires a perscription here in the U. S. It is used to control nausea and vomiting. It will not prevent seasickness but is used to treat the vomiting. I have used it before to treat vomiting and it works really well. It does just about knock me out though but if I'm vomiting I don't mind that. Once I wake up I am usually fine.

Phenergan is a drug that requires a perscription here in the U. S. It is used to control nausea and vomiting. It will not prevent seasickness but is used to treat the vomiting. I have used it before to treat vomiting and it works really well. It does just about knock me out though but if I'm vomiting I don't mind that. Once I wake up I am usually fine.

In the UK it is used to treat travel sickness also and my family has found it works well, with no side effects but it will depend which strentgh you use as there are different ones!

I've been using Dramamine (less drowsy) for years. I need it for flying and crusing. I tried the patch once on a cruise and had to go the medical center and they said I had an allergic reaction to it. I never had any problem with dramamine and it always works. In August the seas were a little rough but I didn't get sick!!

Do they still give out free travel sickness pills on board? Or has that been done away with in the name of cost cutting? I believe that's meclizine.

I'm not sure what the seasickness tablet is that Royal Carribean give out, but they do work well and they are free.:)

Archived