Sea Sickness Treatment

ticktoneer

Hi, can anyone recommend what have been the best sea sickness medications for them please?

(Being respectful to my question and my thread please don't post comments if you just want to harp on about the fact I shouldn't be listening to CC posters about medication and that I should get advice from a doctor etc. etc. - Thanks)

Hi, can anyone recommend what have been the best sea sickness medications for them please?

(Being respectful to my question and my thread please don't post comments if you just want to harp on about the fact I shouldn't be listening to CC posters about medication and that I should get advice from a doctor etc. etc. - Thanks)

We use meclizine exclusively. We purchase it on-line in bulk (chewable). Dimenhydrinate (marketed as Dramamine and others) makes us sleepy and recommends avoiding alcoholic beverages:eek:! Dramamine markets meclizine as it's "less drowsy formula". All meds have side effects and contraindications but we've had no problems.

We take our first dose 1 hr before sailaway and take it every twelve hours afterward. Works like a charm for us. Bon Voyage!

for a non medicated solution, Ginger. anything from Ginger Altoids to candied ginger to ginger pills. also, Green apples. couldn't find a green apple ANYWHERE on our trip to bermuda when we hit some rough seas( avoiding a hurricane)

for a non medicated solution, Ginger. anything from Ginger Altoids to candied ginger to ginger pills. also, Green apples. couldn't find a green apple ANYWHERE on our trip to bermuda when we hit some rough seas( avoiding a hurricane)

Adding to your ginger list, ginger snap cookies have worked for us.

Like the previous posters have said, some of the medication may make you sleepy. But, would you rather be sleepy or sick? I start taking meds the day before we cruise and usually stop taking it after the first day on board (once I know everything is OK.) Then if things get rough, I just pop a pill and I am OK within 15 minutes.

Here is another tip, if you are feeling sick, go outside and get some fresh air. Drink plenty of water (the pills will give you cotton-mouth.) Try to stay cool. If I start to feel like a hotflash is coming, I try to find a cooler place to be. Being warm is bad news! My first clue that I am getting sick is that I start to feel uncomfortably warm.

Here is another clue, if you see the sick-sacks being put out by the stairwells, you know that they are anticipating rough seas ahead. Just bring your pills along and take one if needed. The pills work really well!!!

My remedy for seasickness is natural ginger pills- start taking 3 days before the cruise, 1 at every meal & continue everyday on the cruise. My friend & her daughter & I took a cruise out of Jamaica during very rough seas, my friend & her daughter did not take the pills but I did & they ended up very sick, in fact my friend had to go nto the ship's Dr.,but I was fine! Don't take on an empty stomach though. I like these because there isn't any medicine in them. Try it it works- happy sailing- Linda

Meclizine for me too! Also known as brand name Bonine. I start the morning the ship sails and take one every 12 hours. Haven't been seasick since I started using this.

This is what I do as well, and I don't have the drowsiness with Bonine as with other medications I've tried. On our Oasis cruise, at Cozumel we took a ferry to Playa del Carmen--terribly rough crossing--and staying on the upper deck, outside in the fresh air, and watching the horizon were what helped me make it through.

I have used patches on every cruise and they work very well for me. Gave them a run for their money during Hurricane Noel. So many people were sick, but thank goodness the patch really worked. I did feel a bit queasy at time, but overall high marks for this method.

We always use the Scop patch.

It works for us, we keep hydrated by drinking a glass of something non-alcoholic every hour.

I dont know if it is the patch, or keeping hydrated that works so well, but, we will continue to do both.

Yea, some people will say the patch causes vision changes and dry mouth.

I already have vision problems, I am over 50, and also the dry mouth makes me drink more water.

So,

As long as I am not hugging the porcelain bowl I am happy!!!!

Safe travels.

Sue and crew

I've also had great experience with Meclizine -- the generic form of Bonine. I take it the evening before I'm travelling to the port.

I think the key to ANY seasickness meds is to start them BEFORE you get on the ship. They are designed to prevent motion sickness -- not treat it.

Once you are already seasick, the best you can do is treat the nausea and dizziness with something like ginger, avoiding looking at the horizon or whatever works for you.

Ann

I get sea sick easily and the last cruise I purchased a device that looks like a wrist watch and it sends out an electrical impulse to a nerve in your wrist. I know it sounds crazy but it worked great. When you do not need it you can shut it off. If you are getting a lot of waves you can turn it up high. If you Google "Reletex Anti-Nausea Devise" you will find it.

It works much better than medications I have tried.

I get sea sick easily and the last cruise I purchased a device that looks like a wrist watch and it sends out an electrical impulse to a nerve in your wrist. I know it sounds crazy but it worked great. When you do not need it you can shut it off. If you are getting a lot of waves you can turn it up high. If you Google "Reletex Anti-Nausea Devise" you will find it.

It works much better than medications I have tried.

Thanks I'll take a look :-)

You also have my vote for the wrist watch device. Mine, which I have used for many years, is called a Relief Band. It really does work! Before I started using it, I had a horrible experience with sea sickness, so I did some research and found that in addition to using it for seasickness, it was also being given to pregnant women for morning sickness. The band is rather expensive, but is worth every penny, in my opinion.

We have used Motion Eaze with great success. It's a liquid you rub behind your ear. Walmart carries it, as does Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/MOTION-EAZE-LIQUID-Size-2-5/dp/B002D6M94E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1350408970&sr=8-2&keywords=motionease

Motionease works great. Just one drop behind each ear. We have had some cruises with high winds and rough seas and it worked great. I have seen it at Walmart.

Meclizine for prevention before a cruise. Then I stop taking middle of the first sea day if its on the calm side. If I get queasy, which I have, ginger took care of it. I carry some ginger capsules on all cruises.

After riding Mission Space at Epcot (worst experience of my life, I'd rather give birth or have my teeth drilled) I found a box of ginger snaps in the shop in "Norway". I believe those cookies are the reason that I am still alive today.

Archived