Delta Airlines & "Personal Item"

jesron1269

If anyone has recently traveled Delta Airlines are they still allowing backpacks to count as a "personal item." I only ask because their website, FAQ and customer service basically refuse to give a yes or no answer which means to me it depends when I check in. I am not a fan of waiting until I check in to find out and is more inclinded to put it in our big case and check it in. Then use it after we pick the suit case up upon arrival in Miami. Thoughts?

If anyone has recently traveled Delta Airlines are they still allowing backpacks to count as a "personal item." I only ask because their website, FAQ and customer service basically refuse to give a yes or no answer which means to me it depends when I check in. I am not a fan of waiting until I check in to find out and is more inclinded to put it in our big case and check it in. Then use it after we pick the suit case up upon arrival in Miami. Thoughts?

I was told on our last flight (had a briefcase for my laptop)...anything that fits under your seat is considered a personal item.

Like most airlines, the rule of thumb, it must fit under the seat in front of you. Doesn't matter if it fits in the overhead, for safety reasons per FAA regulations it must fit under the seat! Period.

If your backpack when packed CAN fit under the seat, then consider it a personal item.

if they don't allow it, you can always gate-check it - then you don't have to pay the checked bag fee and it is waiting on the gangway for you when you get to your destination...

my personal experience is that if it is a HUGE backpack they will make you check it, if it is smallish/mediumish then you should be ok

Flew Delta a couple of weeks ago...they don't even bother to stop people from carrying on more than 2 items...it's outrageous..to OP..I saw MANY MANY backpacks that in NO WAY would fit under the seat and they were allowed on..some people had laptop bags, purses AND the backpack so in essence they had 2 personal items and a carryon...I don't think you will have one ounce of trouble.

Flew Delta a couple of weeks ago...they don't even bother to stop people from carrying on more than 2 items...it's outrageous..to OP..I saw MANY MANY backpacks that in NO WAY would fit under the seat and they were allowed on..some people had laptop bags, purses AND the backpack so in essence they had 2 personal items and a carryon...I don't think you will have one ounce of trouble.

The reason why the flight attendants don't stop it is because there are way too many passengers who don't follow the rules, and when challenged, they throw a temper tantrum like a 4 year old. It's unfortunate for those passengers who follow the rules, but we live in a "Me! Me! Society"

Speaking of not following the rules, I was on a Southwest airlines flight once and this guy had a carry-on size suitcase, a huge backpack type thing, and he must have had on 4 coats, one on top of the other, on his person. When we got in the plane, he took off all the coats, and bunched them up and put them in the bin on top, then he proceeded to put the carry-on and the huge backpack up there. Geez, he had 3 good sized things to put up top instead of the allowed 1. No one said anything. Some people -

We flew with them last april and they said anything that fits under your seat. You should be fine with a backpack. I took a huge coach tote bag and they allowed it plus my purse! It fit under my seat so they didn't care.

if they don't allow it, you can always gate-check it - then you don't have to pay the checked bag fee and it is waiting on the gangway for you when you get to your destination...

my personal experience is that if it is a HUGE backpack they will make you check it, if it is smallish/mediumish then you should be ok

If it is gate checked it will not be in the jetway witing for you, it will go to baggage claim. The small regional jets is where they will be at the jetway.

Just flew them last night, you were allowed 1 carry on and 1 personal item ie: purse etc, they were very stringent and this was in Detroit, they said if you exceeded this you had to check and pay for excessive items.

Speaking of not following the rules, I was on a Southwest airlines flight once and this guy had a carry-on size suitcase, a huge backpack type thing, and he must have had on 4 coats, one on top of the other, on his person. When we got in the plane, he took off all the coats, and bunched them up and put them in the bin on top, then he proceeded to put the carry-on and the huge backpack up there. Geez, he had 3 good sized things to put up top instead of the allowed 1. No one said anything. Some people -

I was on an American flight and when I could not find room for my carry on sized suitcase, the stewardess said I may have to check it. I told her NO, we would NOT be checking it. I told her she could check the full-sized suitcase that was already in the bin over my seat that would open up room for several of us. She just turned and walked away... lol. Luckily, someone nice was able to help me find room for my carry on.

Me Me Me!

I also flew on Delta last night. I had a backpack for my carry on and it fit under the seat with no problem. I did see many people with 1 carry on and a smaller "personal" item. One thing I have noticed lately with Delta is that they make an announcement in the gate area asking for folks to "voluntarily" gate check their larger carry on bags (at no charge) to try to ensure there is adequate room in the overhead bins. Those bags are checked to your final destination and you have to get them at baggage claim. As someone else stated if it is a regional jet you can gate check it and claim it as you leave the aircraft.

I have never seen as many backpacks on a flight as I did last night on Delta. I'd guess than only a tiny percentage of those could fit under the seat. There were two flight attendents from other airlines in the row behind me who mumbled the whole time they rearranged the overheads to cram way way too many carry ons above and below.

FYI, there are still some stations that deliver pink tagged carry ons to the jetway.

I was on an American flight and when I could not find room for my carry on sized suitcase, the stewardess said I may have to check it. I told her NO, we would NOT be checking it. I told her she could check the full-sized suitcase that was already in the bin over my seat that would open up room for several of us. She just turned and walked away... lol. Luckily, someone nice was able to help me find room for my carry on.

Me Me Me!

So you are saying that your outright refusal to even consider checking your bag is "Me Me Me"? I think so too and at least you are honest.

We just got back last week on a Delta flight and people that could fit little backpacks under their seat put them in the overhead bins. The flight attendants were constantly rearranging the overhead bins so that everyone would be able to put their things to fit in the overhead bins. Alot of people put their coats and thngs that would easily put them under seat in the overhead bins. I feel like saying something but because we have priority boarding from now on with our Delta AX credit card I can fit my legal roll on in the overhead bins where it should be. The credit card is sooooo worth it for us so you don't have to worry about being the last ones on the plane. It is almost like you have to have someone constantly watching to see what you bring on the plane and what people are putting in the overhead luggage bins. The airlines need to crack down on it more and be the "luggage police" to make sure people do like they should.

Flying is no fun anymore like it used to be.

Happy flying and sailing. :D:D:D

Backpack is used to cover a wide range of items. If it's the size of one that a kid would take to school to carry books, it should be okay. A backpack like one for hiking? No. You can read the rules and know what they mean. One item is a carry-on bag. Other, personal item, is like a purse or briefcase. It isn't a second carry-on bag of the same dimensions. That's why they don't call it that.

Me Me Me!

Me! Me! Me!

No kidding!

The suitcase over your seat must have met the size requirements or it would not fit in the overhead. If I had been the FA you were rude to, your suitcase would have been gate checked in a hot minute.

Me! Me! Me!

The suitcase over your seat must have met the size requirements or it would not fit in the overhead.

Actually, you can often physically fit a bag that is technically over-sized into the overhead bins. For example, one could easily put a 4-foot long duffel bag up there, even though it exceeds the size limitations for a carry-on. So you can't assume that just because it "fit" it must have been within the requirements. I've seen people cram all sorts of things up there that are clearly not within the allowable size. I wish the airlines would do a better job of enforcing the size limitations at the counter and/or gate; it would make for a much smoother boarding process.

Actually, you can often physically fit a bag that is technically over-sized into the overhead bins. For example, one could easily put a 4-foot long duffel bag up there, even though it exceeds the size limitations for a carry-on. So you can't assume that just because it "fit" it must have been within the requirements. I've seen people cram all sorts of things up there that are clearly not within the allowable size. I wish the airlines would do a better job of enforcing the size limitations at the counter and/or gate; it would make for a much smoother boarding process.

I remember boarding at MCO and seeing families who had apparently been at Disney World coming on board with rather large (especially long) toys and other items, and stuffing them into the overhead bins, which were quickly filled. Those who boarded first were happy and sat down, not seeming to be worried about having taken upso much storage space, while those who boarded later were s.o.l.

• 3 weeks later...

Flew Delta two weeks ago. Husband's backpack went on just fine both ways.

Archived