Cabana? Cabana? Why should I book a Cabana?

CruzerDeb

I considered it but decided against it due to cost. If I could have split the price with 2 more people I might have done it. I decided I would bring lots of waterproof sunscreen, and enjoy the beach. There were places to get in the shade if I wanted.

I spent the $ instead renting segways in San Juan, which we loved. If $ for excursions was not an issue then I'm sure I would have loved having a cabana. Caveat - you will see every spot your sunscreen missed when you return to the ship! That is some strong sun. Makes sense for those with skin cancer history to get the cabana.

I really (REALLY!) want to get a cabana; they look awesome and I like everything that comes with them. However, I'll be traveling with my two daughters (18 and 20) and they want to do the parasailing excursion. Not sure that I can afford two excursions, PLUS would it be safe to leave my stuff in the cabana (plus all the goodies it comes with) unattended while we parasail?

of course i think this is soooo worth it.

Here is a recent map of the island. You can see the cabanas (red squares) and they number 1 - 15 from bottom to top.

img_0751.jpg

i like #10 the best.

img_0753.jpg

this is my favorite port. I actually look for ships going here....

img_0754.jpg

i don't understand why more carnival ships don't stop here.

img_0752.jpg

img_0761.jpg

100_5460.jpg

love, love, love!

There is wonderful shade and free loungers on perfect sand.

IMG_0764.JPG

Half Moon Cay is wonderful.

Well, that's a beautiful picture, too. The good news is I have 230 days to decide what to do. The BAD news is, I have 230 days to decide! ;) Thanks for all the info. I cannot wait to visit HMC.

There is wonderful shade and free loungers on perfect sand.

IMG_0764.JPG

Half Moon Cay is wonderful.

Actually, we were soooo glad we got our cabana. Even with ours being the only cruise ship there, there really wasn't enough shade to accommodate everyone who wanted it. We saw tons of people walking around/scrambling to find shade (the shady places fill up fast as the tenders unload in the morning). By early afternoon, all of the shady spots were taken and those still getting off the tenders were pretty much out of luck or had to walk very far down the end of the beach. Alot of people couldn't take the heat and were baking out in the sun and headed back to the ship due to not enough shade.

The cabana made our day at HMC...we would do it again in a heartbeat! Worth the money ($50 each for family of four and we got so much).

Also, if you have disabled/elderly who cannot walk the distance to the cabana, you can get a ride (the entire family)...just go over to the information booth when you get off the tender and they will tell you where to go and wait to be picked up. You get dropped off on the road which will be behind your cabana. In the afternoon/end of day, vehicles are always driving by on the road and checking for those who need a ride (and will know who had a ride in the morning, etc.).

Enjoy HMC...our favorite island and beach in the world!

Of course I think this is soooo worth it.

Here is a recent map of the Island. You can see the Cabanas (red squares) and they number 1 - 15 from bottom to top.

IMG_0751.JPG

I like #10 the best.

IMG_0753.JPG

This is my favorite port. I actually look for ships going here....

IMG_0754.JPG

I don't understand why more Carnival ships don't stop here.

IMG_0752.JPG

IMG_0761.JPG

100_5460.JPG

We rented the one right next to you..#9 the pink one. We loved this location on the beach...away from the noise at the beginning, the rest rooms right behind us and not too far of a walk to the BBQ area. Also, I noticed the sand was much more rough and gravely near the beginning (low #'s of the cabanas) but so much more powdery soft the further down you went.

Well, that's a beautiful picture, too. The good news is I have 230 days to decide what to do. The BAD news is, I have 230 days to decide! ;) Thanks for all the info. I cannot wait to visit HMC.

You may not have that long - some sailings the cabanas sell out 6 or 8 months ahead - my trip in november the cabanas were sold out 3 months ahead...

The best choice we made was to get the Cabanana. We were the last one off the island. We had a shower, food that Carnival brought pop. It was hot and allot of passengers went back to teh boat early. If I go there again we will rent one again.

I really (REALLY!) want to get a cabana; they look awesome and I like everything that comes with them. However, I'll be traveling with my two daughters (18 and 20) and they want to do the parasailing excursion. Not sure that I can afford two excursions, PLUS would it be safe to leave my stuff in the cabana (plus all the goodies it comes with) unattended while we parasail?

I think I'd be cautious. I got a water wallet for small valuables, it came in handy. Even so, at the end of the day I left my swim suit cover up on the beach when we headed back for the tender. I ran back to the same spot on the beach for it just a few minutes later but it was already gone. :( Just an old white light sheath dress - but it was perfect & I'd had it & loved it for years. Some people will take anything they can get their hands on.

Of course I think this is soooo worth it.

I don't understand why more Carnival ships don't stop here.

It's partly due to the fact that the island was originally Holland America's, and their ships have first priority for making port at HMC. Incidentally, these same cabanas cost MUCH more on HA than they do on Carnival.

We had one booked for our cruise on 9/29...but we couldn't tender over and the port-call was cancelled. We were heartbroken...but the onboard credit I got afterwards paid for our Bottomless Bubbles drink stickers and my Behind the Fun tour. :)

Go ahead and book the cabana now. If you have second thoughts, you can always cancel the excursion later for a full credit back to your card. The cabanas are immensely popular and WILL sell out well before your cruise; this way the option will be open to you.

There's a REASON why the cabanas always sell out long before the cruise starts...they're just that awesome. :)

I researched the cabana option, and presented a case to the parentals. Mom was way stoked. However, we were not able to secure one because they sold out fast. Mom was devastated. Once we boarded, I got a wild-brained idea and asked the excursion desk if we could put our names down in the event someone cancelled. A long-shot, yes, but I was desperate.

Imagine how excited Mom was when the desk called her a couple nights later asking if we were still interested in a cabana. As it turned out, someone did cancel.

The cabana was the very best thing we did while we were on the island. Nevermind that the water was cold that day. So cold that I could have poked someone's eye out after emerging from the water. Our cabana was number 5...right next to some pirate ship looking bar. It was handy because we had immediate access to the bathrooms, and the booze. The included sodas, water, and refreshments was a pretty nice touch. We had a place to stash our stuff. Squashy loungers to lay in while the sun thawed you out (from your previous swim). The shower was disappointing because the pressure was equal to the stream of an 80-some year old man with an enlarged prostate. Having floaty mats and snorkel gear was nice in that you didn't have to mess with renting them.

I had a great nap in one of the loungers. Second best nap ever.

Downside to the cabana is that you get a straggler or two that don't know the cabanas are private, or they just don't care, and came up to use the shower, sit in the chairs, etc. Unless CCL has done something to discourage this, fashioning your own "Keep Out" sign might work. Or a water cannon. Or an 80-something year old man with an enlarged prostate.

Overall, we enjoyed our cabana experience, and would do so again. We had four adults in our group, so the expense wasn't horrible...about as much as we would be paying for an excursion anyway.

Good luck!

I researched the cabana option, and presented a case to the parentals. Mom was way stoked. However, we were not able to secure one because they sold out fast. Mom was devastated. Once we boarded, I got a wild-brained idea and asked the excursion desk if we could put our names down in the event someone cancelled. A long-shot, yes, but I was desperate.

Imagine how excited Mom was when the desk called her a couple nights later asking if we were still interested in a cabana. As it turned out, someone did cancel.

The cabana was the very best thing we did while we were on the island. Nevermind that the water was cold that day. So cold that I could have poked someone's eye out after emerging from the water. Our cabana was number 5...right next to some pirate ship looking bar. It was handy because we had immediate access to the bathrooms, and the booze. The included sodas, water, and refreshments was a pretty nice touch. We had a place to stash our stuff. Squashy loungers to lay in while the sun thawed you out (from your previous swim). The shower was disappointing because the pressure was equal to the stream of an 80-some year old man with an enlarged prostate. Having floaty mats and snorkel gear was nice in that you didn't have to mess with renting them.

I had a great nap in one of the loungers. Second best nap ever.

Downside to the cabana is that you get a straggler or two that don't know the cabanas are private, or they just don't care, and came up to use the shower, sit in the chairs, etc. Unless CCL has done something to discourage this, fashioning your own "Keep Out" sign might work. Or a water cannon. Or an 80-something year old man with an enlarged prostate.

Overall, we enjoyed our cabana experience, and would do so again. We had four adults in our group, so the expense wasn't horrible...about as much as we would be paying for an excursion anyway.

Good luck!

LOL! Thanks for the early morning chuckle! And I booked my cabana yesterday! :D

We had a big friends/family group on the Liberty in 2010 - there were 22 of us. We rented four of the cabanas at Half Moon Cay - it was less expensive because be just shared the cost. As someone who doesn't like to be in the sun too much anymore, I thoroughly enjoyed the cabana experience. They do seem a bit pricy, but I think it is money well spent. I don't think you will be disappointed.:D

How do you reserve a cabana? Some friends of ours will be there next week and need to know! Thanks!

Bill

Your friends need to go to their excursion options on their booking on the carnival website - however it is HIGHLY unlikely that there are still cabanas available for next week

Your friends need to go to their excursion options on their booking on the carnival website - however it is HIGHLY unlikely that there are still cabanas available for next week

I just hope there are still cabanas there after Hurricane Sandy passes through! :eek:

If they still want a cabana and they're sold out, they can ask to be put on a wait-list at Shore Excursions in case someone cancels.

• 4 months later...
LOL! Thanks for the early morning chuckle! And I booked my cabana yesterday! :D

Enjoy your cabana! We loved ours and would definitely book one again at HMC! Hope you have a great cruise!

We are beach people so would never consider spending that kind of money for just one day. If we were not beach people, I certainly wouldn't go on a carribbean cruise.

Not every "beach person" can stand out in the hot sun all day and not get sun poisoning.

The Cabanas are a nice place for groups to have a spot to retreat for a bit and relax, comfortably.

Having the two loungers on the deck, one with a mister and one with a misting fan are great, when the midday heat is at its hottest.

Plus the floats, snorkle equipment and snacks and drinks for four, make it a worthwhile expense in our book.

CruzerDeb enjoy your cabana......

Bill

Archived