Gem delayed, itinerary change??

lidodeckfan

jaja - don't apologize for anything. If people feel guilty over, or are offended by a statement of fact, or their own narrow minded self entitlement - to hell with them. I AM offended by their complete lack of humanity and narrowly focused self entitlement. Are any of those pukes apologizing for that? lol.

Never apologize to someone taking offense at the truth.. or those hiding behind an online forum's "rules" about whats on topic or not. The storm is the reason for the itinerary change, and is therefore perfectly relevant. It's also a silly scarecrow to compare it with the OJ thread.

Being called out for being a self centered petulant child should be treated as a learning experience of self discovery and an opportunity for personal growth, but unfortunately, for many of these types - it just reinforces their misconstrued belief that the world is out to pick on them and be unfair to them, and they never gain the actual perspective that one would hope. Instead they cry bully, and further distance themselves from any sort of personal accountability for their lame attitudes.

I'll be on the cruise tomorrow. I'm scrubbing sewage, sand, and mud out from my fingernails, and frankly, will appreciate the momentary relief from the post sandy situation. I'll enjoy myself regardless of how many complainers there are (but will certainly cross them off my list of people to hang out with) and i'll give less than a rats ass whom i've offended over the mere mention of their petty mind-scape.

See ya'll on the ship!

Hi Ute,

I don't understand what could have stopped them from making this offer sooner?

If they made an offer to give people the "option" to cancel and get a refund or credit a few days ago it would have relieved passenger many out of state passengers. And locals still had the option to do the Bermuda cruise if they wanted . On the other hand, if it turned out that port could not open on Friday, as they were hoping, then it would have the same net effect for NCL, because they would be giving a 100% refund anyway.

The way that I see it, the fact that they "didn't know" when the pier would re-open, only made even more important to give passengers advance notice of their options.

The way I see it, they had to know when the pier was going to open before they knew whether the Bermuda cruise was an option. If it had ended up not being able to open until Sunday or Monday, the Bermuda cruise wouldn't have been an option -- since the Gem sails again on 11/7. If it had opened earlier, maybe they could have done a 7 day Caribbean cruise (not sure if that's possible given the distance). If it wasn't opening till Sunday or Monday, maybe it was a 2 or 3 night cruise to nowhere.

Offering a 100% refund to everyone earlier would basically have ensured an almost empty ship for 5 days, given that no one knew what the other option would be.

Can't imagine why.

My statement was made in response to Cruisin111..their quote did not appear in my response though I hit the quote button...and as you have experienced (as I look back on this thread)..not seeing the entire post or knowing who is being replied to or who is OP can be confusing..

I do not insult or are "mean" to any posters....and as I said..uusually stay away from discussions that start to go "viral"---(now I know why!)

I am now done with this thread....but needed to clarify my post...you are free to take or leave my explanation...

jaja - don't apologize for anything. If people feel guilty over, or are offended by a statement of fact, or their own narrow minded self entitlement - to hell with them. I AM offended by their complete lack of humanity and narrowly focused self entitlement. Are any of those pukes apologizing for that? lol.

Never apologize to someone taking offense at the truth.. or those hiding behind an online forum's "rules" about whats on topic or not. The storm is the reason for the itinerary change, and is therefore perfectly relevant. It's also a silly scarecrow to compare it with the OJ thread.

Being called out for being a self centered petulant child should be treated as a learning experience of self discovery and an opportunity for personal growth, but unfortunately, for many of these types - it just reinforces their misconstrued belief that the world is out to pick on them and be unfair to them, and they never gain the actual perspective that one would hope. Instead they cry bully, and further distance themselves from any sort of personal accountability for their lame attitudes.

I'll be on the cruise tomorrow. I'm scrubbing sewage, sand, and mud out from my fingernails, and frankly, will appreciate the momentary relief from the post sandy situation. I'll enjoy myself regardless of how many complainers there are (but will certainly cross them off my list of people to hang out with) and i'll give less than a rats ass whom i've offended over the mere mention of their petty mind-scape.

See ya'll on the ship!

I just saw this post as I was posting...thanks and thanks for actually seeing where I was coming from.....enjoy your cruise..enjoy every minute....and have a drink for me!!!

The way I see it, they had to know when the pier was going to open before they knew whether the Bermuda cruise was an option. If it had ended up not being able to open until Sunday or Monday, the Bermuda cruise wouldn't have been an option -- since the Gem sails again on 11/7. If it had opened earlier, maybe they could have done a 7 day Caribbean cruise (not sure if that's possible given the distance). If it wasn't opening till Sunday or Monday, maybe it was a 2 or 3 night cruise to nowhere.

Offering a 100% refund to everyone earlier would basically have ensured an almost empty ship for 5 days, given that no one knew what the other option would be.

This is what I believe too... once they knew the confirmed cruise and destination, then they could offer the full compensation package. (just like they gave the option for people to board Jewel 1 day early or take the full refund option at the last minute). Sounds like the pier is definitely open in the morning which is good news.

I can't really blame NCL's response to this whole fiasco at all.

See ya'll on the ship!

BTW just read your other 6 posts. Very different from this one. ;)

That is a good point. But maybe NCL could have said that they will be offering a refund option, but they will also have an offer for those who choose to sail, and the details will be released when they have a confirmed departure date.

That way, people from the west coast who would need to fly in could be more at ease because they would be sure to cancel anyway. And the locals may think: what the heck, I'll wait and see what they offer, and maybe I'll be up for the cruise after all. So basically tell them that they will have an option to cancel, but don't let them physically do it until they see the other offer to sail first. Maybe that would sound too vague and frustrate people even more? Just a thought...

I have a feeling that the cruise will be very empty anyway. I'm guessing 50% or less. But what if it turns out that only 10% take them up on the offer to sail? It wouldn't be worth the fuel to sail all the way to Bermuda and back.

Wonder if NCL's response had anything to do with a media outlet picking up the story. jakeT and Cruisin1111 were quoted. Hey, I recognized those two. LOL.

What no one has mentioned are the people still on the ship from the LAST cruise...

And BTW I am sure NCL is not charging them extra for that experience, but trying to make them comfortable...

LOL. Does anyone really care at this point? He/she was exhausting. Legitimate points for sure. But a rude and nasty attitude.

I so hope that folks can have a good time and that in the end this will be good. Many wonderful people waiting for their vacation, but also very concerned for the welfare of others. I hope it comes out good for the folks sailing.;)

So what did Cruisin1111 decide to do?

I decided to cut my losses and take their refund/credit offer.

I came on here asking for a refund or credit towards a future cruise, and their offer was a little of both. Again, I wish they had offered some type of option earlier in the week, but in the end they did right by their customers.

A lot of people on here have called me a lot of names like idiot and troll, attacking my upbringing, and telling me to "STFU"; these people are more rude and nasty than me. I guarantee if anyone was in my shoes, they'd at least empathize with me.

Good luck to everyone and happy sailing.

I came on here asking for a refund or credit towards a future cruise, and their offer was a little of both. Again, I wish they had offered some type of option earlier in the week, but in the end they did right by their customers.

A lot of people on here have called me a lot of names like idiot and troll, attacking my upbringing, and telling me to "STFU"; these people are more rude and nasty than me. I guarantee if anyone was in my shoes, they'd at least empathize with me.

If I am remembering correctly( forgive me but not reading thru 15 pages again), you have another weeks vacation next week. If so I hope that you were able to find a resort or perhaps even a cruise and go and make some great memories.

I'm glad you're happy now.

For the record, there was NEVER a lack of empathy. If I was in your position, I would be just as upset as you were and probably wanting the same as you, too. The difference is, I would NOT have gone on an internet forum calling the company morons and unprofessional - at least not before things became clear!

So, to finally put an end to it, the problem was certainly not due to us disagreeing that you were in an awkward situation, but the way you went about complaining!

I'm glad you're happy now.

For the record, there was NEVER a lack of empathy. If I was in your position, I would be just as upset as you were and probably wanting the same as you, too. The difference is, I would NOT have gone on an internet forum calling the company morons and unprofessional - at least not before things became clear!

So, to finally put an end to it, the problem was certainly not due to us disagreeing that you were in an awkward situation, but the way you went about complaining!

Actually, his posts on cruise critic were quoted in the USA Today story that was critical of NCL, and curiously, the NCL offer didn't come out until after that story was published. So he may have been instrumental in getting NCL to make that offer. And it is well known that NCL reads this forum. Not just his posts, but all of ours.

Yes, he could have been a little more tactful with his wording, but he was obviously very upset and in a difficult situation. But some people responding to his posts were down right Nasty. I think there was a lack of empathy from some, but not all people.

Anyway, it sounds like NCL reached an offer that everyone can be happy with.

Let me see if I got this straight. For those forgoing the offered Bermuda sailing they will be given 4 days worth of money returned and is the 5 days a voucher worth a certain dollar amount to be used within the year? Could someone sell or give their voucher away if they don't want to use it?

Let me see if I got this straight. For those forgoing the offered Bermuda sailing they will be given 4 days worth of money returned and is the 5 days a voucher worth a certain dollar amount to be used within the year? Could someone sell or give their voucher away if they don't want to use it?

I don't know if it is transferable, contact NCL. It is worth 5/9 of whatever they paid for the original cruise. It might be enough to fully pay for a future 7-day cruise.

Archived