Gem delayed, itinerary change??

lidodeckfan

Wow. A lot of haters here. All I'm asking for is better communication from NCL and a credit towards a future Norwegian cruise. I don't see how this makes me out to be unreasonable...

Now IF that was all you were asking for, then you wouldn't get the responses you are getting! Go back and read your comments and imagine it was someone else and you'll realize how unreasonable and idiotic you come across!

People have responded that you WILL get a refund from NCL and the company WILL compensate you, but you chose to ignore that. You failed to think about the other 2000 people booked on your cruise and the fact the majority may be delighted to get on board and go SOMEWHERE, rather than rant about how the poor customer support staff are unable to answer the question before they even know what's happening.

All you've read on this board is speculation apart from anyone copying the NCL information, so why don't you STFU and wait until the dust settles and people in the know can make decisions - as you've been told many times.

Instead you choose to troll this board and then you're surprised that others disagree with you!

My stars! How dumb can you be?

No they don't know anything about their car.. I guess we were all guessing it is fine.. It is on that top level next to pier..

The top level could have debris or trees on it - heck, boats landed on commuter train tracks so just about anything is possible! Even if their car is fine and driveable, the roads around the port are not. They are also not open. So even if the ship could fit under the bridge and the port were open, they probably wouldn't be able to drive their car away and would have to make other arrangements to get home.

Just wondering - do they know that their car is still where they left it? If it is and it's driveable, are the streets around it passable and open? The port area is one of the hardest hit.

It better be driveable, they would have a hard time paying for a hotel room in NYC!..Would buses be back by Thurs, Fri? We are in PA. This is their frist cruise.. I talked them into it!

The top level could have debris or trees on it - heck, boats landed on commuter train tracks so just about anything is possible! Even if their car is fine and driveable, the roads around the port are not. They are also not open. So even if the ship could fit under the bridge and the port were open, they probably wouldn't be able to drive their car away and would have to make other arrangements to get home.

If the port would be open and the ship docked then how would the dock workers get there if there was no road access?

To answer all the questions:

Hurricane Sandy Update

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 at 10 am ET

At Norwegian Cruise Line, the safety and security of our guests and crew is of the utmost importance. Hurricane Sandy has had a devastating impact on New York City, and as a result the Port of New York remains closed and the reopening date continues to remain uncertain.

At this time, Norwegian Gem is calling in Boston to take on provisions, fuel and give guests the opportunity to go ashore. The ship will depart Boston this afternoon to set sail toward New York where the ship will continue to remain at sea until the Port of New York reopens. At this time, we anticipate that the Port will re-open on Thursday or Friday. For guests who were scheduled to sail on Norwegian Gem’s October 29 cruise, we are preparing an alternate itinerary for a five or six-day Bermuda cruise. As a result of the shortened itinerary, guests will receive a pro-rated credit for the missed days based on cruise fare paid. We appreciate our guests’ understanding and patience as we work through these extreme conditions

To answer all the questions:

Hurricane Sandy Update

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 at 10 am ET

At Norwegian Cruise Line, the safety and security of our guests and crew is of the utmost importance. Hurricane Sandy has had a devastating impact on New York City, and as a result the Port of New York remains closed and the reopening date continues to remain uncertain.

At this time, Norwegian Gem is calling in Boston to take on provisions, fuel and give guests the opportunity to go ashore. The ship will depart Boston this afternoon to set sail toward New York where the ship will continue to remain at sea until the Port of New York reopens. At this time, we anticipate that the Port will re-open on Thursday or Friday. For guests who were scheduled to sail on Norwegian Gem’s October 29 cruise, we are preparing an alternate itinerary for a five or six-day Bermuda cruise. As a result of the shortened itinerary, guests will receive a pro-rated credit for the missed days based on cruise fare paid. We appreciate our guests’ understanding and patience as we work through these extreme conditions

The entire FB post from NCL was posted on Post 140 at 10:52 - those interested already read it - the OP is ignoring it.

I posted NCL's FB quote 20 posts ago but the only part the OP wanted to read was the port opening "Thursday or Friday" to whine that it will probably change. Nothing or no one can make the OP feel any better about his/her decision to book during hurricane season and obviously not bother to even buy insurance. You can't fix SELFISH.:rolleyes:

I really feel sorry for their traveling companions since instead of finding something to do while they wait - they are being ignored in favor of whining on a message board.

Hey Peg your comment is irrelevant to my post. First of all, you did not post this message 20 post ago. Secondly, are you that selfish that you are trying to claim credit for the misfortune of others? I was just being informative, but you are just plain ignorant.

Hey Peg your comment is irrelevant to my post. First of all, you did not post this message 20 post ago. Secondly, are you that selfish that you are trying to claim credit for the misfortune of others? I was just being informative, but you are just plain ignorant.

Care to explain what it is you are trying to say? How am I claiming "credit" for the misfortune of others? Why would I even want to? I already posted the same information as you but I'm being ignorant???? :confused::rolleyes:

Care to explain what it is you are trying to say? How am I claiming "credit" for the misfortune of others? Why would I even want to? I already posted the same information as you but I'm being ignorant???? :confused::rolleyes:

Because, obviously I didn't see your posting of that info. So why would you then go on my page and say "I posted that 20 posts ago"? That does seem like you're trying to take credit. Does it make a difference who or how many times it's posted? I am just trying to keep people informed just like you are. Also, why would you post all that extra comment about selfish and whining on my page?

Because, obviously I didn't see your posting of that info. So why would you then go on my page and say "I posted that 20 posts ago"? That does seem like you're trying to take credit. Does it make a difference who or how many times it's posted? I am just trying to keep people informed just like you are. Also, why would you post all that extra comment about selfish and whining on my page?

Okay, now I understand. Because you didn't read the whole thread and therefore my post I am ignorant. I'm glad you explained it because I would have never figured it out on my own. :rolleyes:

Ok just talk to my TA

ship will leave on Friday either you make the ship or you are FU**ED

you will be in default and lose all your money.

will not transferred it to another cruise or will give you future cruise credit.

They will pro rate days missed as OBC will not tell you how much they are money they are giving back. and that will be refundable at the end of the cruise.

if you want to used your insurance you must have some documentation. Why you cant go.

So what's to do in Bermuda?? I hope everyone is quick to give me suggestions as they are to whine/bash on each other here! I'm interested to hear the replies.

Been to Bermuda once...loved it !!!! Check out the Bermuda board for lots of suggestions....

Enjoy your cruise...

Now IF that was all you were asking for, then you wouldn't get the responses you are getting! Go back and read your comments and imagine it was someone else and you'll realize how unreasonable and idiotic you come across!

People have responded that you WILL get a refund from NCL and the company WILL compensate you, but you chose to ignore that. You failed to think about the other 2000 people booked on your cruise and the fact the majority may be delighted to get on board and go SOMEWHERE, rather than rant about how the poor customer support staff are unable to answer the question before they even know what's happening.

All you've read on this board is speculation apart from anyone copying the NCL information, so why don't you STFU and wait until the dust settles and people in the know can make decisions - as you've been told many times.

Instead you choose to troll this board and then you're surprised that others disagree with you!

My stars! How dumb can you be?

Wow buddy, you're a peach. You must have a reading comprehension problem. Other people reading my posts seem to understand my concerns.

Bermuda is not cheaper! Not sure where you got that info. Have you priced any Bermuda cruises out of NYC lately?:confused:

November is generally not the preferred time to go to Bermuda. It's cooler than the Caribbean. When I did a search, I couldn't find any other cruiseline sailing there this November, so there is probably a reason for that. So if they did offer a cruise, it should be at a reduced rate.

Bottom line, if NCL had told me that my 9 day Caribbean cruise was now a 5 (or 6) day Bermuda cruise, take it or lose it, I would be P****D.

I understand that weather happens, and passengers need to roll with the changes, but there comes a point where if the cruise is shortened and changed so much, then they should give passengers a choice by offering future credit if they don't want to take this Bermuda cruise. And in my opinion, they have reached that point. This is only one step away from changing it to a 4 day cruise to Baltimore.

And when the passengers from the west coast change their flights, and fly in Friday or whenever, if they can even find a flight, they are likely to still find disruption at the port, subways closed, etc. And then NCL might say, thanks for flying all the way here, but we decided to just cancel the cruise after all.

Wow buddy, you're a peach. You must have a reading comprehension problem. Other people reading my posts seem to understand my concerns.

Wow not that is some serious lack of self awareness - besides expressions of understanding of your disappointment in the disruption of your cruise, I struggle to see where anyone has agreed with your perceptions of NCL's handling of this unprecedented event.

November is generally not the preferred time to go to Bermuda. It's cooler than the Caribbean. When I did a search, I couldn't find any other cruiseline sailing there this November, so there is probably a reason for that. So if they did offer a cruise, it should be at a reduced rate.

Bottom line, if NCL had told me that my 9 day Caribbean cruise was now a 5 (or 6) day Bermuda cruise, take it or lose it, I would be P****D.

I understand that weather happens, and passengers need to roll with the changes, but there comes a point where if the cruise is shortened and changed so much, then they should give passengers a choice by offering future credit if they don't want to take this Bermuda cruise. And in my opinion, they have reached that point. This is only one step away from changing it to a 4 day cruise to Baltimore.

And when the passengers from the west coast change their flights, and fly in Friday or whenever, if they can even find a flight, they are likely to still find disruption at the port, subways closed, etc. And then NCL might say, thanks for flying all the way here, but we decided to just cancel the cruise after all.

Careful buddy. This is what I've been trying to say and instead have people jumping down my throat. Seems like you can't post anything negative about Norwegian on here. Kind of takes the "critic" out of cruise critic.

Archived