Gem heading to Boston

BlueJai

I would think you'd be grateful I'm letting you know what to expect from NCL.

Most of us know what to expect, we have read NCL's policy. Did you book thru NCL or a TA? If you booked thru a TA call them and give them your grief. I'm sure they'll tell you the same thing.

Most of us know what to expect, we have read NCL's policy. Did you book thru NCL or a TA? If you booked thru a TA call them and give them your grief. I'm sure they'll tell you the same thing.

Can you point me to the section that states they'll keep their customers in limbo for days on end? I'm having trouble locating that.

They surely must. Today in Boston it is a mix of light showers,clouds, and a little sun--and temperature in the upper 50s and low 60s. I hope these folks are able to get where they are going, or perhaps can get a bit of enjoyment from Boston as it is a beautiful city and while impacted by the storm it was nothing like New York and New Jersey. Looking forward to hearing their perspective. And certainly hoping things can get clarified for those on this week's cruise. But first things first.

Cruisin,

You have managed to make yourself into a complete idiot so far.

Why not just shut up and wait and see what NCL will do? They CAN'T tell you anything they don't know! As you've been told on numerous occasions, this is the situation for all cruise lines and there are way more important issues than whether you'll get reimbursed for your inconvenience!

You "who would 'you' blame" in another thread. The answer is no-one. NCL is doing the best it can and, because it didn't decide to cut short someone else's vacation so you could be sailing right now can hardly be used as a failing!

Remember the famous quote?

"It is better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and prove it!"

THEY CAN CANCEL THE CRUISE ALL TOGETHER AND NOT KEEP STRINGING US ALONG! I don't see what's so hard about this.

So, you're totally ignoring my advice. Fine.

They WILL give you a refund. Of that I'm certain. They need to regroup and worry about the people that matter in all this - those who can't sit at home, with their heating and internet access working, who have nothing better to do than act like trolls on an internet forum!

You're NOT being strung along unless YOU choose to be! Calm down and wait and see. You'll get more than compensated when they can see the forest for the trees and get everything straight.

Put yourself in their position and ask yourself what the priorities are here. Making sure people on board are safe and can get home, or worrying about when the next cruise can sail?

As I'm arguing with a brick wall here, I'm done. Enjoy your heart attack brought on by high blood pressure and stress.

Like others, I'll take comfort in the knowledge that if I was in your situation, I have travel insurance and an understanding boss and can rearrange my vacation once the dust settles and I can talk to someone once decisions have been made. It may cost me a little, but not as much as many in the area who've lost lives, property, businesses, etc.

Like others, I'll take comfort in the knowledge that if I was in your situation, I have travel insurance and an understanding boss and can rearrange my vacation once the dust settles and I can talk to someone once decisions have been made.

Travel insurance does not cover all of my costs.

It must be nice to work in a flexible environment. Not everyone is that lucky.

And have you received credit?

I will answer this because you directly asked me a question. But truthfully I am done trying with you.

I didn't need a credit, because I wasn't able to book in the first place. My trip was cancelled by "life". Unlike most people I get one week vacation if I'm lucky every 2 to 5 years, which is also in part a working vacation. We are self-employed and live our lives with the unknown from day to day. We wait as long as we can before we book and realize anything can happen to destroy our plans either by work, the cruiseline chartering the ship we've book, freak of nature like a storm, freak of unexpected like a ship that needs repair, change of ports due to unrest (as in our last cruise), medical emergency (as in our last cruise), or again weather.

I do not know your age range, but what I have learned in my many years on earth is that most times you have to roll with life's punches. If life gives you lemons, make lemonade. You do not choose to heed this advice so there is nothing further I can add that I feel will convince you, this sucks but so does life some days.

I'm on here educating everyone about my experience with the lack of customer service skills by NCL and their unwillingness to work with us. I'm not looking for empathy. I'm simply asking for answers and credit towards a future cruise. They keep telling us to check NCL.com for updates. That's customer service?? God forbid you experience a similar experience for your early 2013 sailing. I would think you'd be grateful I'm letting you know what to expect from NCL.

What your not seeing here is that NCL doesn't know what will happen as far as the port opening, airports etc. how could they present offers? Also, there are people who want to sail no matter for how long or where the ship will be going. I will also say that when NCL knows for sure when it can return to NYC they will attempt to make everyone happy. That's what they do. I know your disappointed, Hurricane Sandy has disappointed many and devastated even more through deaths and destruction. Please put your problem in prospective compared to your fellow Americans who lost everything and would trade places with you in a heartbeat. Try not to place blame today and count your blessings instead. I said it before and I will say it again, I know this company, even though this is not their fault they will do their best to make all of you happy to the best of their ability.

If you want to blame anyone blame the port of NYC, they closed the port not NCL. The Gem could have easily made it in Monday morning, but you would have had one hell of a ride going out Monday afternoon.:D

All kidding aside you need to relax:)

Norwegian Cruise Line

Hurricane Sandy Update

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 at 10am ET

At Norwegian Cruise Line, the safety and security of our guests and crew is of the utmost importance. Hurricane Sandy has had a devastating impact on New York City, and as a result the Port of New York remains closed and the re-opening date is uncertain.

At this time, Norwegian Gem is calling in Boston to take on provisions, fuel and give guests the opportunity to go ashore. The ship will depart Boston at 3 pm to set sail toward New York where the ship will continue to remain at sea until the Port of New York reopens.

At this time, we anticipate that the Port will re-open on Thursday or Friday. For guests who were scheduled to sail on Norwegian Gem’s October 29 cruise, we are preparing an alternate itinerary for a five or six-day Bermuda cruise, departing on Thursday or Friday, subject to the reopening of the Port of New York. As a result of the shortened itinerary, guests will receive a pro-rated credit for the missed days based on cruise fare paid.

We appreciate our guests’ understanding and patience as we work through these extreme conditions.

NCL is having no problem keeping my $2,000+ for services I haven't received.

The Atlantic hurricane season runs from June 1st to November 30th.

'nuff said. You pays your money, you take your chances. Your $2k ain't top of mind for NCL at the moment. Nor should it be.

I think this storm is a huge testament to how safe people are at sea. All of the problems Sandy brought to the cruise industry are logistical issues regarding other means of transportation being unable to get people to and from the ships, as well as closed ports. NCL and all the cruise lines have done the best they can to deal with these detriments, but in any event, it's better to be inconvenienced then be unsafe.

Don't you read the paper or look at the tv news....the NYC/NJ area is in the grips of the worst natural disaster it has ever seen. NCL will address your issues and I am sure will issue a refund once this cruise is cancelled, but as everyone has told you multiple times, their current passengers on the ships involved are their chief priority as they should be. This is only Wed, how many actual days on end are you talking about?

Enough already.

Can you point me to the section that states they'll keep their customers in limbo for days on end? I'm having trouble locating that.

I'm sorry Cruisin1111 for your disappointment with NCL. I was wondering if you are the type of person who is so "one-way" that you would stomp on your neighbor just to get to be first in line. You are not in limbo! NCL has been very forthcoming in what information they have at this time. You sound like a very selfish person. Just think of the thousand of people who have lost their homes, businesses & loved ones to this terrible storm.

I think you should say a prayer that you are able to sit in front of your computer and dish your crap to anyone that will read it!

I'm sorry Cruisin1111 for your disappointment with NCL. I was wondering if you are the type of person who is so "one-way" that you would stomp on your neighbor just to get to be first in line. You are not in limbo! NCL has been very forthcoming in what information they have at this time. You sound like a very selfish person. Just think of the thousand of people who have lost their homes, businesses & loved ones to this terrible storm.

I think you should say a prayer that you are able to sit in front of your computer and dish your crap to anyone that will read it!

How have they been forthcoming? On Sunday it was the ship might go out on Monday. Monday it was Tues. Tues it was Wed. Now it's Thursday or Friday? And at the same time they're telling the current passengers 4 days before they get into NYC. That doesn't sound forthcoming to me.

Do you not get that this is a situation that has been unfolding and is STILL unfolding? The answers simply weren't known. That is not withholding anything. Sunday was BEFORE the storm even happened--I dont' even follow what you are saying. Of course they are not going to make a decision before anything happens.

How have they been forthcoming? On Sunday it was the ship might go out on Monday. Monday it was Tues. Tues it was Wed. Now it's Thursday or Friday? And at the same time they're telling the current passengers 4 days before they get into NYC. That doesn't sound forthcoming to me.

I don't see how NCL can tell anyone for certain what will happen with this UNTIL the government opens the port of New York City. And that decision is not and will not be decided by NCL. Or little selfish you.

You sound like a very judgmental person. If you were in this passengers shoes, then you may have a different persepective. This is not a minor itinerary change, this is total disruption. This is more than any passenger should be expected to deal with.

When it comes to a point when the cruise is only 1/2 as long, when only 1/2 the passengers can even make it to the ship, when the destination is 1000 miles different, November in Bermuda vs. warm Caribbean. When NCL still doesn't know when the ship can sail. Then they should stop trying to recover every penny of lost revenue and offer future credit to passengers who may choose to opt out of this cruise.

Archived