This may be wrong but....

tanelicus

I did it anyways (just a couple times). Putting it on here, so others may consider doing it as well of course using good discretion and reason. If you flame me it's ok, because I am comfortable with it. If the cruise line reads this, I may or may not be making this up. I would deny it as fiction. :)

Things many cruisers know: 1) crew members even though they are fed well from a nutritional standpoint, don't enjoy the same quality of food as the passengers. 2) Passengers can order meals to go from the MDR.

So you might have figured it out. We took a brand new meal to our room steward, who will go nameless for obvious reasons. Of course it was done with his consent, and was appreciated.

We didn't treat it as though we were helping out a person from a lower rung of society. Just a dude enjoying a better quality meal.

Maybe others have done this, and others may consider doing.

I haven't seen a crew member who seemed to be starving to death. And since I am pretty much a Windjammer lover I don't imagine that what the crew eats is much different than what I do while on a cruise. And I think the food is pretty good.

Given the size (girth) of most of us ....... I seriously doubt most cruise employees of envious of what (how much) we eat!?!? :D

Did he eat the meal in front of you? I'm guessing, not. I'm thinking he was just being polite. Cruise employees overall (cabin stewards especially) are in the business of saying "Yes".

If my cabin steward does a good job (which they usually do), I'm going to give them a bigger tip. I'm not going to "order" ...... eeerrr 'steal' food from the MDR for them. :confused:

hmmmm, I don't know about this one. kinda makes me think of the people who buy the crew members gifts, I would think they would rather have the cash. I realize you didn't pay for the meal, but of course he is going to act as though he appreciates it even if he tossed it in the garbage. I also feel as though the kitchen is so busy as it is, it is doubtful that they prepare different food for the staff than what they already prepare for the Windjammer.

No flaming here, but if I were the staff member I would also be insulted. I have worked in the restaurant business all of my life, and have been treated as if I were of a lower class than the customers often. The shock when they discover you live in the same neighborhood is enlightening. "oh you live in ........ Estates? So do we!" Just my 2 cents, and obviously you want peoples opinions on the subject otherwise you wouldn't have posted it. :)

The crew dining areas are pretty nice (I saw them on the behind the scenes tour). They may not have the selections we have but their food is not lacking in any way. And some of their food is 'better' than what we get. Their Indian selections, for example, are much more authentic than what is served in the MDR. On my last cruise one of the men sitting at my table for dinner got the waiter to bring out the crew's Indian dish for the night and it was excellent!

hmmmm, I don't know about this one. kinda makes me think of the people who buy the crew members gifts, I would think they would rather have the cash. I realize you didn't pay for the meal, but of course he is going to act as though he appreciates it even if he tossed it in the garbage. I also feel as though the kitchen is so busy as it is, it is doubtful that they prepare different food for the staff than what they already prepare for the Windjammer.

No flaming here, but if I were the staff member I would also be insulted. I have worked in the restaurant business all of my life, and have been treated as if I were of a lower class than the customers often. The shock when they discover you live in the same neighborhood is enlightening. "oh you live in ........ Estates? So do we!" Just my 2 cents, and obviously you want peoples opinions on the subject otherwise you wouldn't have posted it. :)

Well said I agree........

Why is it that some folk think that the cruise workers need their charity or that they are so beneath them. They earn a good living! Want to show appreciation for good service ...TIP THEM!!! Giving them food you got for free from their own ship is absurd and insulting!!

for the life of me I cannot figure out WHY this would even cross your mind?!

they get meals in specialty restaurants as perks. they can satisfy a craving during their off hours in port. and what on earth makes you think he had TIME to eat it then, while it was still warm?! or that he was hungry when it was given to him?!

I just cannot wrap my head around this concept at all....

Bored. fiction.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and to make stuff up I guess! lmao

#smh:rolleyes:

Here is my 2 cents and total "opinion". This is exactly how rumors and mis-information float the internet. Folks will read the original post and believe crew members are fed below par food.

We would never fathom insulting crew like that...

We tip our room stewards very very well. All I can say he wasn't insulted, and as I said it wasn't made to treat him as a second class citizen. I can't verify he ate the meal, but I can't say he didn't. We asked him if he wanted something from the MDR before and he said yes. He could have declined.

I put it out there. You don't have to do it. I don't mind your two cents.

I am not responding to everybody here, all I can say is that I have read from two books, Cruise Confidential and Chronicles of a Cruise ship member, that like I said the crew is well fed but its not good quality. But the booze is the same and very cheap.

Please don't take this as an attack on RCI, because it wasn't intended that way.

Bored. fiction.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and to make stuff up I guess! lmao

#smh:rolleyes:

Here is my 2 cents and total "opinion". This is exactly how rumors and mis-information float the internet. Folks will read the original post and believe crew members are fed below par food.

We would never fathom insulting crew like that...

Why would I make this up?

I kind of think this is a little bizzare and unless he ate it in your stateroom would think he could get in a little bit of trouble if he was caught eating or taking this from a passgener.

With that said, the closest thing I've done, is about this time last year I had a trip to the Phillipines where every meeting I attended, they had out those dried mango pieces and was told the Filipinos love this and is a nice gift for any Filipinos living in the U.S. I stopped in the local store and bought several bags since I had several cruises lined up between Nov and Jan. As expected, my stateroom attendant and D lounge waiter was from the Philippines. I gave them each a couple of bags which they were soooooooooooooo excited about receiving. And no, this wasn't this "tip." I just thought they'd like something from home and they seemed to really appreciate it and of couse we got to talk about my experience in the Philippines.

We actually had the reverse of what the OP stated happen to us. Our Filipino waiters in the MDR knew we had lived in the Philippines because we had told them how much we missed the food we used to eat in Manila. One night, for a surprise, they actually brought us steaming hot bowls of Sinagang soup (the name may not be exactly right) to our table. They were having it that night in the crew's dining room.

It was such a treat. We have never forgotten this awesome gesture.

I can't help but wonder what would happen to RCI's expense account if everyone started feeding everyone else that they feel sorry for. Take food from the passenger restaurants and feed the crew. Take food from the restaurants and feed the Haitian workers on Labadee, bring something for the taxi driver on St. Thomas, or maybe a treat for the kids walking to school in Jamaica. I hardly consider it altruistic to give something away that was paid for by someone else. In this case it was paid for by RCI. I did not see in the OP's post that he went without dinner so that he could give his food to someone else.

How far should we carry this? How long before RCI finds themselves with an issue and then comes up with a solution that affects all of us and is to the liking of none of us?

We tip our room stewards very very well. All I can say he wasn't insulted, and as I said it wasn't made to treat him as a second class citizen. I can't verify he ate the meal, but I can't say he didn't. We asked him if he wanted something from the MDR before and he said yes. He could have declined.

quote]

Of course a cabin steward is not going to TELL you he was insulted, he is the ultimate "yes man"....thats his job. He probably would have declined had he not been working for tips. Again, not intending to flame but wanting you to see it from another perspective. I am sure you meant well with this gesture, but to think he needs a "better meal" is insulting. I mean really, what is he going to say "no thanks, keep your kind gesture"? of course not. not for nothing, but I wouldn't eat food from a stranger either....just sayin'.

I can't help but wonder what would happen to RCI's expense account if everyone started feeding everyone else that they feel sorry for. Take food from the passenger restaurants and feed the crew. Take food from the restaurants and feed the Haitian workers on Labadee, bring something for the taxi driver on St. Thomas, or maybe a treat for the kids walking to school in Jamaica. I hardly consider it altruistic to give something away that was paid for by someone else. In this case it was paid for by RCI. I did not see in the OP's post that he went without dinner so that he could give his food to someone else.

How far should we carry this? How long before RCI finds themselves with an issue and then comes up with a solution that affects all of us and is to the liking of none of us?

I don't see this as a slippery slope type of thing. But point taken.

LOL So true!!!!

Op you seem very generious with others resources!!!!

Next time leave RCi's food for you..........you have paid for it, and buy a gift certificate for a port restaurant to feed your underfed, malnourished RCI employee.

LOL So true!!!!

Next time leave RCi's food for you..........you have paid for it, and buy a gift certificate for a port restaurant to feed your underfed, malnourished RCI employee.

Preferably, a green gift certificate with a president's picture on it.

Every time I see a person mention how much a tip receiving staff person "loved" something that person did or gave, I'm reminded of how much Meg Ryan "loved" her dinner in When Harry Met Sally.

I never said he was doing cartwheels. Haha. I only mentioned that I tip well because people were insinuating I pay with food.

quote]

Of course a cabin steward is not going to TELL you he was insulted, he is the ultimate "yes man"....thats his job. He probably would have declined had he not been working for tips. Again, not intending to flame but wanting you to see it from another perspective. I am sure you meant well with this gesture, but to think he needs a "better meal" is insulting. I mean really, what is he going to say "no thanks, keep your kind gesture"? of course not. not for nothing, but I wouldn't eat food from a stranger either....just sayin'.

I understand your perspective but if you disagree then don't do it. What your saying is not what transpired. I think you have a inaccurate picture of what happened. It wasn't a huge deal.

Frankly I find your reference to room stewards as "yes men " a little insulting.

LOL So true!!!!

That's not at all what I said.

Archived