Cancellation/replacement port of calls

luv2travel77

Hi all, I'm currently on the Emerald Princess on its Canada/Colonial America itinerary. Due to the storm, we had a few ports cancelled/replaced. They cancelled four ports and replaced it with three.

Boston and New York have been cancelled and I don't think it pleases a lot of the passengers. :(

Will Princess reimburse us a small amount for this? Or do we have to request it? Or to backtrack a bit, do we even have a right to ask for a partial reimbursement?

I have heard cruise companies reimbursing their passengers for missed ports? I don't how it applies to replacement ports and such. Thanks for your input.

Each cruise is different. Please wait toward the end of your cruise. You should receive something in your stateroom or by email letting you know how Princess Cruise Lines will handle this.

Ports are missed all the time and for all reasons. You are never guaranteed that you will make all the ports in your itinerary. Your cruise contract tells you about missing or changing ports. You will get the port charges back for whatever port you miss but I'm sure you will then pay the port fees for the new ports that were added to your cruise. If you have your heart set on a particular port, it could take you several cruises to get there or do it as a land tour if you really want to see it.

Will Princess reimburse us a small amount for this? Or do we have to request it? Or to backtrack a bit, do we even have a right to ask for a partial reimbursement?

The cruise contract you agreed to says that the itinerary may be changed and ports skipped and this is without any compensation other than refunded port charges.

Of course if different ports are substituted, you may be charged the port charges for those.

So no, there is no contractual right for reimbursement other than port charges. Princess may voluntarily offer some compensation, but it is generosity on their party, not an obligation.

When we missed Princess Cays on the Crown, the port fees for the Bahamas were automatically credited to our onboard accounts. When we were on the Sun Princess and engine problems kept us from making it to St. Thomas on time, the captain gave each passenger $100 in onboard credit. I think the fact it was a Christmas cruise affected his generosity, but I'm sure he probably got approval before sending out the letter that let us know this.

When we were on the Sun Princess and engine problems kept us from making it to St. Thomas on time, the captain gave each passenger $100 in onboard credit. I think the fact it was a Christmas cruise affected his generosity, but I'm sure he probably got approval before sending out the letter that let us know this.

In this case, the problem was Princess's fault (engine problems) and some compensation from Princess was reasonably to be expected.

Airlines will do the same with the problem is their own.

Can't take a flight because of mechanical problems, the airline will pay for your hotel and for meals.

Can't take a flight due to weather, you are on your own.

I can't tell you how many cruises I've taken that have missed a port or several ports due to weather or sea conditions, and at least one port that should have been (while I don't get seasick, it's not fun being in a tender for two hours in 10-15' seas with at least 3/4 of the people barfing into bags or anything they could, even crew.) I've even been on a cruise that stayed two days in port because it was dangerous if we'd sailed. At least one cruise ship that did experienced 70'+ seas for 12-15 hours.

Not sure why anyone would be upset about missing Boston or New York. Disappointed, I'm sure, but the ship had/has few options due to this monster storm. The ship was safe where it was, for which I'm sure people are thankful.

The ship went to alternate ports which also incurred port fees. If the difference is less, you'll get a small refund. That's reasonable.

Thanks

Per the Princess web site:

Due to the presence of Hurricane Sandy and the impact it will have on the New England area, the port calls to Bar Harbor, Boston, Newport and New York have been cancelled. Port calls to Port Saguenay, Corner Brook and Saint John, New Brunswick have been added.

Archived