What do we want on the new ship?

bishop84

Another vote for a "real" movie theater. The Queen's Lounge (or whatever it's called) on the Vistas just doesn't cut it. The Wajang Theater on the older ships is much better.

This is more of a fleet-wide issue, but why did we get away from naming the public rooms after famous Dutch people? The main lounges on the Maasdam and Veendam used to be the Rembrandt and VerMeer, respectively. Now it's just a generic "Showroom at Sea". Blah. The libraries were named for Erasmus; now they're "Explorations Cafes". Double-blah. Coupled with the demise of Dutch Night in the MDR, it seems like there is much less cultural flavor (no pun intended) now than before.

I'd rather they not go bonkers with alternative restaurants, but I'm probably swimming against the tide of history on this one. I really liked it back in the Olde Days of fixed-seating dining when dinner was an event in and of itself. Anytime-dining and other venue options diffuse the dinner-time crowd to the point that it's just another meal, and not the "happening" that it used to be.

I would agree, no specialty restaurants, but that isn't going to happen and the MDR's will continue to deteriorate. :mad:

How about some escalators for those with bad knees, hips, or just plain lazy.:D Save the room the elevators take up for bars, spe... oops!

I would agree, no specialty restaurants, but that isn't going to happen and the MDR's will continue to deteriorate. :mad:

How about some escalators for those with bad knees, hips, or just plain lazy.:D Save the room the elevators take up for bars, spe... oops!

I agree.

Makes you wonder if they want to phase out restaurant costs in the cruise fare.

Another vote for a "real" movie theater. The Queen's Lounge (or whatever it's called) on the Vistas just doesn't cut it. The Wajang Theater on the older ships is much better.

This is more of a fleet-wide issue, but why did we get away from naming the public rooms after famous Dutch people? The main lounges on the Maasdam and Veendam used to be the Rembrandt and VerMeer, respectively. Now it's just a generic "Showroom at Sea". Blah. The libraries were named for Erasmus; now they're "Explorations Cafes". Double-blah. Coupled with the demise of Dutch Night in the MDR, it seems like there is much less cultural flavor (no pun intended) now than before.

I'd rather they not go bonkers with alternative restaurants, but I'm probably swimming against the tide of history on this one. I really liked it back in the Olde Days of fixed-seating dining when dinner was an event in and of itself. Anytime-dining and other venue options diffuse the dinner-time crowd to the point that it's just another meal, and not the "happening" that it used to be.

Good point.

There is less and less Dutch left in Holland America and I have yet to figure out why but miss it. We enjoyed Dutch night, the hats, the menu, the gouda and edam squares passed during cocktail hour........ They even changed the flag away from the House of Orange to blue and white.

Bring back some Dutch to Holland America...... please. :cool:

Quote:

Originally Posted by catl331

Interactive TV's for checking your account and making reservations etc, etc

Yes, so agree with that "want". The amount of paper and ink saved would be significant. Also how about the new photo options being available via digital kiosk? Only what is ordered would be processed. Surely that digital photo technology would be less than processing and maintaining the walls of photos. Also the large Photo sections devoted to photos could be made over for additional revenue generators such as a intimate dining or bar venue/locale.

Interactive TV is a great idea for passengers - and a terrible one for the cruise lines. First the cost for installing interactive television is just over $1 Million per ship. Interactive television systems are not very happy to be in a marine environment, with high humidity, salt, movement, and lots of steel around to block signals. There are frequent breakdowns that just increase passenger complaints. Those of us who have it already, discovered too late that passengers who can check their onboard charges every morning on the television spend significantly less money onboard. This is a great passenger convenience that eventually forces us to raise your cruise fare to cover revenue losses.

We tested digital photo kiosks many times. If the passenger has the option of deleting the photo or having it printed for purchase, too many choose "Delete".

If you have the printed photo in your hands, impulse buying takes over and you pay for it.

Digital photo kiosks reduce paper and ink consumption - but they dramatically reduce sales and profits.

Printing thousands of unsold photos that are then burned, actually results in much higher sales and much higher profits.

It is bad enough that we all keep adding small specialty restaurants (that ALWAYS lose money) in public spaces just to keep up with the other cruise lines. But replacing a photo gallery that makes big profits, with an intimate dining outlet that perpetually loses money, is not a very sound business idea.

Good point.

There is less and less Dutch left in Holland America and I have yet to figure out why but miss it. We enjoyed Dutch night, the hats, the menu, the gouda and edam squares passed during cocktail hour........ They even changed the flag away from the House of Orange to blue and white.

Bring back some Dutch to Holland America...... please. :cool:

Sail, I'm with you 150% for your highlighted request. It's what we've come to expect from a company with "Holland" in it's name.

What would Cruise Critic members like to see on the new Pinnacle Class? The hint at more culinary and entertianment venues in the press release is interesting.

I thought the Promenade Deck on the new Carnival ships which is unobstructed by the lifeboats might be an interesting feauture. A nice wide deck to lounge on and watch the seas go by with a coffee shop and no maintenance going on with the lifeboats directly above you! (Yes they still have lifeboats but they are underneath the promenade deck!)

Cabins for solo travellers at the single rate (and not the size of a broom closet). Keep the Lower Promenade deck as is and the size of cabins. An electical outlet in the bathroom. Any new ship the same size as the S & R ships.

Archived