Where to stay in New York, New York

pandora85345

Won't be we busy boarding and attending the Naming Ceremony on the 22nd?

Rev-

I posted this letter from Hal earlier, but in case some of you missed it:

Dear Mr. Franzese:

We checked with our PR department about your request to attend the Noordam Naming ceremony. Here is what they suggest:

"Lounges are supposed to have a feed of the ceremonies for embarking guests to view the dedication ceremony."

The ceremony will take place in the main lounge. The breaking of the champagne bottle will be videoed. New York weather in February is too unpredictable to hold the event outside.

Thank you,

Mariner Society

The ceremony will take place in the main lounge. The breaking of the champagne bottle will be videoed. New York weather in February is too unpredictable to hold the event outside.

LOL ... what it be 50 degrees and sunny, with no breeze.

Reverend Neal, Jim, Stan and Martha; we are holding tight in maintaining our commitment to the Rihga Royal. I hope I don't regret it.

Reverend Neal I have a 4th question for you to ask the Rihga......Will any construction operations be taking place during nightime hours (when we are there)?

Cheers

General Max

Reverend Neal I have a 4th question for you to ask the Rihga......Will any construction operations be taking place during nightime hours (when we are there)?

General, did you miss my post on the other thread that JimandStan started? Here's a link to it.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=5651162&postcount=2

Your question is essentially answered by what the Assistant Manager told me during my phone conversation with him. Even if they're doing any construction work at night, it should not bother us thanks to the two-floor buffer between any floor a guest is on and where the work is being done.

And, in case you were wondering ... though my above-linked post on the other thread should make this clear ... I'm sticking with the RIGHA.

Reverend Neal, thank you very much for your update on discussions with the Rihga Royal Suites. Since we are checking in on Friday, February 17th and also that I am a civil engineer, I will volunteer to make the rounds with the on-duty manager to ensure that all cc members staying there are as isolated as possible from the ongoing construction activities.

With respect to the Continental Breakfast available on the 2nd floor, Mrs Max is interested if the breakfast is complimentary. I'm not sure if they mentioned that to you, Reverend Neal. I would still like to try a local deli for lox and bagels or grilled salmon and eggs.

Cheers

General Max

Reverend Neal, thank you very much for your update on discussions with the Rihga Royal Suites. Since we are checking in on Friday, February 17th and also that I am a civil engineer, I will volunteer to make the rounds with the on-duty manager to ensure that all cc members staying there are as isolated as possible from the ongoing construction activities.

:) ... not exactly sure that there would be any need for that, but that is very kind. They seemed rather certain that there should be any problem.

With respect to the Continental Breakfast available on the 2nd floor, Mrs Max is interested if the breakfast is complimentary. I'm not sure if they mentioned that to you, Reverend Neal. I would still like to try a local deli for lox and bagels or grilled salmon and eggs.

I don't know. It might be, but I didn't think to ask. I might call back to ask, but I'm also with you in the idea of seeking out other places for breakfast around town. :D

I know as a fact that I am not alone in this question. I just don't understand why, with all the hotels in convenient locations and at various price and luxury levels in NYC, why anyone would stay at the Rihga at this time with all the problems detailed here re construction, renovation, what floors are quiet and free from construction, no restaurant open, elevators operating, noise and dust, having to make rounds with managers or have long phone calls for needed reassurance, new bathrooms/old bathrooms and on what floor, and on and on?

There are hundreds of good hotels in NYC in good locations with all amenities open and functioning. Why not go elsewhere this time and go back to the Rihga at another time when it is fully renovated? :confused:

I know as a fact that I am not alone in this question. I just don't understand why, with all the hotels in convenient locations and at various price and luxury levels in NYC, why anyone would stay at the Rihga at this time with all the problems detailed here re construction, renovation, what floors are quiet and free from construction, no restaurant open, elevators operating, noise and dust, having to make rounds with managers or have long phone calls for needed reassurance, new bathrooms/old bathrooms and on what floor, and on and on?

There are hundreds of good hotels in NYC in good locations with all amenities open and functioning. Why not go elsewhere this time and go back to the Rihga at another time when it is fully renovated?

Good questions.

1. ~$200 ($199 - $209) per day for a suite of about 500 square feet ... this in NYC, where $200 per day normally gets one an oversized closet of about 150 - 200 square feet.

2. There ARE restaurant services ... just not those of the Prime 54 Restaurant, which has been closed. In addition to the dining lounge menu, one also has in-suite dining available.

3. Fears of the renovation process, mess, noise, etc. -- as they actually are visible to guests on floors where guests actually STAY -- is HIGHLY exaggerated. From what I am told, no work, no mess, no noise is present on floors where guests stay, nor do the guest elevators stop on the floors where work is being one.

4. No one has to make any rounds with any managers. Such is totally unnecessary.

5. I do not feel any need to defend myself. However, my reason for calling the hotel was simply to find out if my prior-listed questions could be sufficiently answered. Had they not been adequately answered, I would have cancelled my booking and gone elsewhere -- paying more for a smaller room in order to do so, but that's ok. However, my concerns were sufficiently answered, and that is all that should matter to me. As for those who are not planning on staying there ... well, it really should be of no concern to you.

Allow me to reiterate something. From what I was told, guests staying in the RIGHA will not be impacted by renovation work underway. No renovation is being done on floors where guests are staying, and a 2-floor buffer has been placed between the construction and guest floors. There is only one way that the renovation work will impact guests: the Prime 54 restaurant has been closed. However, the dining lounge is still open where breakfast and lunch are offered. As for the existing rooms, most were last renovated long ago in 2002 ;) . The purpose of the current renovation is to upgrade the hotel to a super-eliet status ... and, based upon the prices I've seen at other hotels, I would expect that the cost per-room will go through the roof when that happens.

why anyone would stay at the Rihga at this time with all the problems detailed here re construction, renovation, what floors are quiet and free from construction, ........

peaches --- Believe me, it is not an unusual event for a hotel to be in the middle of renovation with paying guests still there. In fact, I have stayed at 2 hotels in Ft. Lauderdale in the recent past (2003) where there was construction on a room by room basis, thus making it terribly inconvenient for guests, with absolutely no warning until check-in.

Therefore, since Rev Neal has been able to ascertain that those staying there will be relatively "isolated", I think it is still one of the better "bargains" of hotel rooms in NYC at this time, and plan on keeping my reservations. Hope this helps to answer your question:)

Several people have e-mailed to request a copy of my notes from my conversation with the Daytime Assistant Manager at the RIGHA. For some reason they couldn't find the other thread Jimandstan began on the subject.

So, here it is:

I spoke for about 25 minutes with one of the Hotel's Daytime Assistant Managers. He informed me that

1. There is now a 2 floor buffer between floors where guests are staying and where work is being done. This is to ensure that little, if any, noise filters over to floors where guests are staying. They had tried just one floor, but discovered that it was insufficient.

2. He inspects every morning, and another manager inspects every evening, to ensure that dust, debris, and other items from the construction are NOT visible on any guest floor or anywhere else in the Hotel.

3. I asked about the debris and other signs of construction that were seen by "a friend who scoped out the hotel" and he informed me that if someone was shown an empty room as an example it was probably done on a floor where work was being done, and NOT on a floor where guests were currently being accommodated. He also stated that the public elevators have only yesterday been programmed to not allow guests to visit these floors, and workmen are required to use staff elevators ONLY.

4. While they will not assign a room until check in, he annotated my booking to ensure I would be on the 20th through the 33rd floors, which have rooms that were entirely refurbished in 2002. He also annotated my request for a non-smoking Suite with a King Bed and stated that there should be no problem in fulfilling all of this on my check in on Sunday Feb 19th. He also took down my arrival time at LGA and wanted to know if I would like pick up, but I informed him that a friend would be picking me up at the airport and that I would be arriving for check-in after 9 pm.

5. While the Prime 54 Restaurant is closed, the kitchens are still open. The hotel is providing the Continental Breakfast on the 2nd Floor, along with the standard lounge menu offerings. They still have Room Service, and while the times are extensive they are no longer open 24 hours.

In short, the vast majority of my concerns seem to have been addressed acceptably ... certainly well enough for me to keep my reservation at the RIHGA Royal.

As I've been writing this post I noticed an E-mail arrive from the RIHGA containing the updated booking information. It details that I am to receive a King Bed/Non-smoking Suite below the 34th floor but "as high as possible otherwise" and, then, in parenthesis, it states: confirmed floors 20 - 34. It also states the following:

Prime 54 Restaurant will be closed for renovation. In the interim, Continental Breakfast as well as current lounge offerings will served on our 2nd Floor.

Effective Ocotber 10, 2005 In-Suite Dining (Room service) hours of operation will be from 6:30am to 1:30am daily. We will no longer provide overnight room service.

All of which echos what I was told by the Day Manager.

Reverend Neal and Martha,

Through all these discussions. I think I have developed a loyalty to the Rihga Royal and we haven't ever stayed there. I suggest that it become the unofficial NYC hotel for future HAL sailings out of New York.

Cheers

General Max

I live in Hell's Kitchen. Its a great and wonderful area. It went from being "Hells Kitchen" to "Clinton" and now back to being "Hell's Kitchen". It is a high cost area as is all of New York and filled with wonderful resturants and entertainment. There is a Hilton Hotel at 49th and 8th Avenue as well as a Hampton Inn at 51 and 8th Avenue. Both have had extensive renovations recently. There is also the Mandarin Oriental and the Trump International Hotel at Columbus Circle. All are in walking distance of the pier. When in New York view my tree lined and tree light street: 55th between 8th and 9th (Hells Kitchen).

I think he's staying at the Parrot Royal. Room service won't be as good as ours, but at least it's already paid for. ;)

The rates at the parrot hotel are likely to be cheaper than the Rihga Royal. They probably provide free newspapers.

Cheers

General Max

• 4 weeks later...

We stayed at the Rihga Royal Suites from February 17 to February 22, 2006 and enjoyed our suites there. This was prior to our boarding the Noordam for the inaugural cruise. We would definitely stay there again if the price is right.

Cheers

General Max

Youall should have stayed over the Hudson River in New Jersey..

Room rates are much better and no Sales Taxes on Shoews and Clothing....

3% in ERZones too..:D

IMHO, I am not sure that would have worked for me... I do not like to "commute". Three days of commuting is not my idea of a pre-cruise vacation in NYC. For those really familiar with the area, you may feel comfortable, but I lived near Poughkeepsie for nearly 40 years, and still do not find commuting from Jersey to be comfortable.

The Rihga was a very pleasant hotel. The location was central enough for everything that I wanted to do. However, as indicated previously, the prices are scheduled to increase when it becomes the London, and I am not sure that that would fit into my budget.

• 2 weeks later...

After all this time it seems a bit fruitless to post anything on this thread, but I wanted to provide a set of photos of the Rihga Hotel. As already stated by others, it was excellent.

http://homepage.mac.com/revneal/noordaminaugral/PhotoAlbum88.html

A sample photo:

rihgahotel1.jpg

It was very well maintained and VERY nice. There was no sound of work, and only minimal annoyance at internet service failures, etc.

I would like to stay there in Jan 2007, but if the price is as high as I suspect it will be I'll look around for something else.

• 3 weeks later...

Reverend Neal, thanks for posting the link to your pictures. Yes, the hotel was excellent and I think this should be the "unofficial" hotel for Holland America cruises out of New York City. By the way, we stayed in Room 2004 which was very quiet and isolated from the renovation work going on.

Cheers

General Max

Archived