Where to stay in New York, New York

pandora85345

An earlier post by UNCIALMAN stating that a less expensive hotel then the Waldorf would subject you to bed bugs. Bed bugs can exists in any price hotel even top of the line.

Note article in January 16, 2007 papers of a couple suing the Madarin Oriental Hotel Group for an attack of bebugs at one of their hotels in London. The London hotel is among the most luxurious in the world.

Bed bugs do not discriminate.

• 2 weeks later...
Alohapride, when we used Carmel Limo for our day in New York, they indicated that they preferred cash. Check with them to see if it is still their policy.

General Max

GM--

I hired Carmel Limo on Jan 6th to get 4 of us + our (plentiful) luggage to the ship.

I paid w/ a CC - gave them the number on the phone when I made the reservation and he took a rubbing of the # on the receipt.

Was not an issue at all - Thanks much for the referral!

I have always lived in NY, and started going to the theatre and opera when I was about 10 or 12. Years ago people did dress, suits for men, and dresses for women. Now, 40 years later, there is a big range, but in no way do people dress anywhere near like they used to. We go to the theatre regularly throughout the year, and when we see people dressed up, we always figure that they are tourists. Certain shows will get more people who do not go to the theatre as often, and they get more dressed up. What people may mean about dressing in NY is that many have a trendier style than you might see elsewhere, although these days people who want to dress trendy dress that way no matter where they live. You don't see people going to the theatre in shorts and a tank top, but let's say that is it what you would wear in the ships dining room on casual nights, although there are people in jeans. I usually wear slacks and a blazer. Its a good idea to layer, because you never know what the temperature in the theatre will be.

I have always lived in NY, and started going to the theatre and opera when I was about 10 or 12. Years ago people did dress, suits for men, and dresses for women. Now, 40 years later, there is a big range, but in no way do people dress anywhere near like they used to. We go to the theatre regularly throughout the year, and when we see people dressed up, we always figure that they are tourists. Certain shows will get more people who do not go to the theatre as often, and they get more dressed up. What people may mean about dressing in NY is that many have a trendier style than you might see elsewhere, although these days people who want to dress trendy dress that way no matter where they live. You don't see people going to the theatre in shorts and a tank top, but let's say that is it what you would wear in the ships dining room on casual nights, although there are people in jeans. I usually wear slacks and a blazer. Its a good idea to layer, because you never know what the temperature in the theatre will be.

I don't think it's just New York that has changed, theatres are generally more casual now. It is the same in London, jeans are not at all unusual at West End shows, and to be honest it is easier to hop on and off the Tube in casual clothes. :D

• 2 weeks later...

hey brian. you sound like a new yorker (pretty good when doing it online). what would your guestimate be for the weather for march 30ish. cold, wet, anyones guess? we are crackers from virginia. so dressing up is really not in our vocabulary. we just get dressed (and most folks are thankful). i want to ride around madison gardens in a buggy. is this realistic? thanks for your recommendations. lauri

Hi Lauri, I'm not Brian, but the buggies are called Hansom Cabs and they travel around and through Central Park.

http://www.nytours.us/tours/tourDetail.cfm?tour_id=4826

About the end of March weather, it's anyone's guess. Since you're on the East Coast, you know how unpredictable our weather has been. We're usually in Manhattan the beginning of April and it's been anywhere between 35-70 degrees, sunny or rainy. The best you can do is check the forecast of weather.com before you leave.

Have fun, you're about to visit one of the greatest cities in the world. ;)

Karen

hey brian. you sound like a new yorker (pretty good when doing it online). what would your guestimate be for the weather for march 30ish. cold, wet, anyones guess? we are crackers from virginia. so dressing up is really not in our vocabulary. we just get dressed (and most folks are thankful). i want to ride around madison gardens in a buggy. is this realistic? thanks for your recommendations. lauri

Does anyone have any information about the Four Points Sheraton by the Newark airport? HAL has us booked there for the night before our cruise. We are just there for one night and would like to see the city. We are wondering whether we might be better off staying in Manhattan.

The weather at the end of March is umpredictible. Dress in layers. My neice's birthday is May 3 and there have been times when she was young that the kids wore snow jackets to her party because while it wasn't snowing, it was cold.

You can still take a hansom cab because they have blankets that will keep you warm.

As far as staying in Newark, why would you do it , if you want to see the city?

Does anyone have any information about the Four Points Sheraton by the Newark airport? HAL has us booked there for the night before our cruise. We are just there for one night and would like to see the city. We are wondering whether we might be better off staying in Manhattan.

If you want to see Manhattan, stay in Manhattan. It's a walking city and you can cover a lot of ground in a short period of time. Why worry about schlepping to and from Newark? Defeats the purpose, imho. ;)

As far as staying in Newark, why would you do it , if you want to see the city?

It is where HAL booked us. We will be traveling the entire day to get to NY and boarding the cruise the following morning. Realistically, we will probably be too tired from the travel to do much besides eat and crash into bed. That is pretty much how it was the last time I flew coast to coast for a cruise out of Miami. Miami is probably a little further from Seattle than New York, but it is still a very long day of travel. I want to check out tour options, just in case we can carve out an hour or two to see the city. We are unlikely to ever make it back.

Either way, we will still get a nice tour of the Hudson River and Lady Liberty.

Is Newark really that bad? I don't want to stay in a lousy hotel, but I didn't think HAL would book us into anything low end. We stayed at a Four Points Sheraton in Ventura, CA and it was fine for such a short stay. Hopefully this will be OK too. The docs and vouchers have been delivered. Making changes now might not be a lot of fun.

• 2 weeks later...

e-CJ, we will be joining you on your cruise in Ft Lauderdale on April 25, 2007. Please come to the cruise critic get together on April, 26, 2007 in the Crowe's Nest lounge at 3:30 PM. For more information you can check out the rioll call board for our specific cruise under my name.

Archived