NCL Testing New Ideas on Sky

alwalaska

I just wanted to post my opinion on two of the tests NCL was running on the Sky when we were on board last week.

1) Lemonade and flavored waters - I love having this option. Our family decided we will still be buying soda cards, but it was really nice to have a yummy healthier option to drink for some meals. The Mango flavored water was great.

2) The lack of production shows. I did not like this. The production shows and evening entertainment is one part of cruising that I really enjoy. A lack of production shows, or even a significant decrease in the quantity or quality is like to have a strong influence on my returning to RCCL or another cruise line. One our 4 day cruise, there was only one show a night and the theater was pretty crowded for that one show. We had a comedian on night 1, Second City on night 2, the 2nd city improv night and a juggling comedian the 3rd night, and finally , a musical group the last night. The initial comedian also had a late night over 18 R rated show. It was definitely too heavy on comedy for my taste.

Although I really enjoyed the Frankie Valli tribute from Vegas, I really hope NCL does not cut back on their production shows.

Don't drink sodas. Those options sound good.

I like production numbers don't get me wrong, but I don't go to many shows on cruises. Dad was equity member and I have seen them all. But I can see where some would miss them.

Loved the Epic because the entertainment was new instead of the old production shows. We were able to wander from venue to venue, rather than sit in a theater for 2 hours. Especially loved Fat Cats jazz club. Somehow found ourselves in there most nights late in the evening.

does anyone know, other than actually being on the cruise, is there any way to tell in advance which ships will be testing new ideas/services like this? I think it used to be the Dawn for dining options for a while, but now they're testing things on the Sky?

Is there a spot on their website, maybe? (not that I've ever come across it...).

does anyone know, other than actually being on the cruise, is there any way to tell in advance which ships will be testing new ideas/services like this? I think it used to be the Dawn for dining options for a while, but now they're testing things on the Sky?

Is there a spot on their website, maybe? (not that I've ever come across it...).

I'm guessing Cruise Critic is probably the best way to learn about things like that. NCL probably keeps those types of things pretty quiet. At the Q&A with the senior staff, they mentioned that the Sky is used for a lot of tests because of its short itineraries.

Loved the Epic because the entertainment was new instead of the old production shows. We were able to wander from venue to venue, rather than sit in a theater for 2 hours. Especially loved Fat Cats jazz club. Somehow found ourselves in there most nights late in the evening.

So, do they not have any production style shows on the Epic? I know they have Cirque which is a similar type idea, but costs extra.

I enjoy sitting and listening to music in a bar or watching a comedian sometimes, but it is nice to also have the option of a production show at least a couple of times on a cruise. I have never had a show on a cruise last more than 45 minutes. Some are only 20 minutes. I'm not sure when you would sit in a theater for 2 hours.

Thanks for sharing. The flavored water concepts are being tried on other ships, also. Cruisers from the Dawn, Jewel and at least one other (Pearl? Jade?) have also reported this.

As for the entertainment, are you sure it's being "tested" there for rollout on other ships, or is it just something new for the short Sky sailings? I ask because another poster mentioned this recently and said it was specifically because of the short duration and low cost of the Sky cruises.

NCL is trying even better things on the Sun - just off the 11 day Southern Caribbean and they had a drink package available for all passengers, $49 per day. We didn't partake, but we really enjoyed the 2-1 happy hour each night at the Sports Bar from 4-6pm.

We are booked on the Sun for next year so I am interested in the drink package. I thought I heard that everyone in the cabin had to buy it for the entire cruise. If that is the case, it would not be beneficial to me as my DW does not drink much at all.

I am curious about the two for one happy hour . I also read about buying a bucket of six beers for the price of 5. If I purchase two beers at happy hour, or a bucket of beer, do they open all of them then, or can I leave the caps on one or more and take them back to the cabin to put in the fridge to enjoy later on after dinner.

We are booked on the Sun for next year so I am interested in the drink package. I thought I heard that everyone in the cabin had to buy it for the entire cruise. If that is the case, it would not be beneficial to me as my DW does not drink much at all.

I am curious about the two for one happy hour . I also read about buying a bucket of six beers for the price of 5. If I purchase two beers at happy hour, or a bucket of beer, do they open all of them then, or can I leave the caps on one or more and take them back to the cabin to put in the fridge to enjoy later on after dinner.

Correct, everyone in the cabin had to buy the package.

The happy hour was great, 2-1 on just about anything you wanted.

All the ships have buy 5 get 6 beers, they don't uncap them so you can take them back to your room or where ever you want. They give you a bottle opener as well.

NCL is trying even better things on the Sun - just off the 11 day Southern Caribbean and they had a drink package available for all passengers, $49 per day. We didn't partake, but we really enjoyed the 2-1 happy hour each night at the Sports Bar from 4-6pm.

Oh! Drinks, as in drinks with alcohol?! :D That sounds like a great idea! Putting at $49 a day seems too expensive for me though. Even when I went to an all-inclusive I had maybe 2-3 drinks per day at the most, and that would no way equal up to $50. Maybe if they charged X amount for the whole cruise instead... Then it might not get to me so much :P

Happy hour is probably the best bet for someone like me :)

I just wanted to post my opinion on two of the tests NCL was running on the Sky when we were on board last week.

1) Lemonade and flavored waters - I love having this option. Our family decided we will still be buying soda cards, but it was really nice to have a yummy healthier option to drink for some meals. The Mango flavored water was great.

2) The lack of production shows. I did not like this. The production shows and evening entertainment is one part of cruising that I really enjoy. A lack of production shows, or even a significant decrease in the quantity or quality is like to have a strong influence on my returning to RCCL or another cruise line. One our 4 day cruise, there was only one show a night and the theater was pretty crowded for that one show. We had a comedian on night 1, Second City on night 2, the 2nd city improv night and a juggling comedian the 3rd night, and finally , a musical group the last night. The initial comedian also had a late night over 18 R rated show. It was definitely too heavy on comedy for my taste.

Although I really enjoyed the Frankie Valli tribute from Vegas, I really hope NCL does not cut back on their production shows.

I hate to hear this. We're going on the Sky the end of this month. I'm not happy about the entertainment thing. We've never done one of the shorter cruises, so is this typical? I'm sorry I booked it. As far as the new beverages, that will be a plus, but not enough to take the sting out of the entertainment.

Thanks for sharing. The flavored water concepts are being tried on other ships, also. Cruisers from the Dawn, Jewel and at least one other (Pearl? Jade?) have also reported this.

As for the entertainment, are you sure it's being "tested" there for rollout on other ships, or is it just something new for the short Sky sailings? I ask because another poster mentioned this recently and said it was specifically because of the short duration and low cost of the Sky cruises.

From the way the response was given at the senior officer Q&A, it sounded like they were testing out some new entertainment options for the entire fleet. They also mentioned that they were testing other ideas for the fleet, but they didn't expand on what they were.

I would hope they DON'T cut the production shows. The MAIN thing I DID NOT like about my one and only carnival cruise was the lack of entertinement. On a 4 night cruise I believe they had maybe 2 production shows. Between that and not so great food, I'm in no hurry to sail with Carnival again.

My recent cruise on the Star, they had Mango flavored water, and Strawberry Kiwi water. I loved those, and I complimented them for doing so.

Met some folks from the Carnival Magic in Cozumel, I asked them if they serve anything else at the buffet during lunch. They said they only do lemonade and ice tea. Carnival used to serve fruit punch, and I comment everytime about them removing it. They could leave one of the breakfast juices all day

On the two week cruise I was surprised about the variety of shows that we did see. I don't know about specifically about NCL, but on a behind the scenes tour on the Carnival Spirit the cruise director said that the production shows run for about 6 years, as it is very difficult to get in all the props, scenery and other stuff. I want to say that for some of that stuff that have to take apart the ship in dry dock in order to get it in on there, but I am not 100% sure on that.

Tim

So, do they not have any production style shows on the Epic? I know they have Cirque which is a similar type idea, but costs extra.

I enjoy sitting and listening to music in a bar or watching a comedian sometimes, but it is nice to also have the option of a production show at least a couple of times on a cruise. I have never had a show on a cruise last more than 45 minutes. Some are only 20 minutes. I'm not sure when you would sit in a theater for 2 hours.

There is Blue Man Group and Ledgends in Concert on the epic. Not the typical production shows but in some respects better. These take place in the theatre and are included. When we were in the med they also had a flamenco show and a variety show in one of the lounges. There is always something going on.

Re: the flavored waters - yes, they are sugar free. Zero calories. I looked at the nutrition label when I was on the Dawn. And YES - delicious!

Thanks for the info. The dispenser simply said "Enhanced Flavored Water" so I was wondering if the enhancement was sugar.

For me, the Kiwi Strawberry was just OK, but the Mango was really great. I'm sure everyone has different favorite flavors.

Archived