*** The Galveston, Texas "Cruise Cam" Watch Group ***

Here is the Harbor tour boat leaving after dropping off a few people:

2997823.jpg

I never heard or saw Mariner's muster drill, so they must've had it before I arrived at the pier.

Mariner pulling away:

2997826.jpg

Now this is where Carnival should take some notes. Have your muster drill before departure, so people can cheer and celebrate the start of their cruise.

2997830.jpg

Actually at this point, nobody was cheering yet.^ When Mariner got a little closer, I started shouting at them, and eventually as they sailed past they started to shout back and cheer. :D Mariner's departure was easily the better of the two.

Mariner at the end of the Harbor:

2997833.jpg

A few more pictures later.

Watching the cam tonight I saw a Disney ship sail away. Anyone know which one that was. I wasn't aware Disney had a ship sailing out of Galveston. Also it seems like the Carnival ship is late leaving. Wonder what is up with that.

Yes, the Disney Magic is sailing from Galveston, and was supposed to be here for two seasons, but I read somewhere that they're leaving Galveston after this season. Apparently it's not working for them.

Watching the cam tonight I saw a Disney ship sail away. Anyone know which one that was. I wasn't aware Disney had a ship sailing out of Galveston. Also it seems like the Carnival ship is late leaving. Wonder what is up with that.

The "Carnival ship" you're talking about is the Crown Princess. :p

Yes, the Disney Magic is sailing from Galveston, and was supposed to be here for two seasons, but I read somewhere that they're leaving Galveston after this season. Apparently it's not working for them.

What? :eek:

Almost time sport fans. We sail out of NOLA tomorrow on the Norwegian Star. I am ready for some warm weather! Froze our buns off today on the swamp tour out of Laplace.:rolleyes:

The cam has not been working of late for the NOLA ships. The one that covers the river real time is working but you can only see the ship as it is leaving downriver. The "dock" cam has not worked in three weeks.

Last Sunday before going down to the pier to watch the ships sail, I set up my time lapse software to record the Cruise Cam (and I had the Harbor Cam on in another tab in case my mom or stepdad were in the room to switch them).

For whatever reason, the timelapse software won't convert the frames it captured into a video. So while I figure out what's wrong with it, here are a few of the frames. I'm the one on the top right corner of the pier with a black shirt and tan cargo shorts that blend in with the pier on webcam.

Me sitting on the edge of the pier:

3023086.jpg

Me standing up a few seconds later when Magic's lines were being pulled in:

3023087.jpg

Magic Departing:

3023088.jpg

Right before Mariner's departure, my mom told me she was in the room as Magic was passing the hotel and switched to the Harbor Cam, so I went back up to switch back to the Cruise Cam before Mariner's departure.

Mariner Departing:

3023089.jpg

A few more of my pictures to come.

Small rant about Webshots. Since my phone pics aren't very clear, I thought I would post them to Webshots instead of SlickPic with the watermark. But when I tried to log in to Webshots, it wouldn't let me, and when I went to my old thread, all my images said "Temporarily Unavailable". Looks like Webshots deleted my account.

Anyway, here are a few more pics that I took in Galveston:

2997836.jpg

The Strand:

2997841.jpg

2997843.jpg

The Boardwalk yacht seen from Fisherman's Wharf:

2997848.jpg

The view from Murdochs on the seawall:

2997864.jpg

2997865.jpg

Might be time to start a personal website just to put my pictures on.

Small rant about Webshots. Since my phone pics aren't very clear, I thought I would post them to Webshots instead of SlickPic with the watermark. But when I tried to log in to Webshots, it wouldn't let me, and when I went to my old thread, all my images said "Temporarily Unavailable". Looks like Webshots deleted my account.

Might be time to start a personal website just to put my pictures on.

Dylan, Webshots closed!:mad: It's now something called SMILE that does everything but make me :). This happened the beginning of October.:(

I wouldn't have known about it except someone posted a thread on the RCCL forum which I got lucky enough to see before it got moved to the Photo and Camera Discussion forum. Here's a link: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1716775

The "Carnival ship" you're talking about is the Crown Princess. :p

What? :eek:

Last I heard they are finishing this season but only doing the 2013 part of the 2013-14 season. Cost, plus the fact that they screwed with the itineraries after a lot of people had already booked are the biggest complaints I've heard. Also, I've seen a lot of people say that they wouldn't mind the high cost of sailing DCL but they want them to be here in the summer so they don't have to take their kids out of school. Some kids can handle a week off school without hurting their grades, but I'm guessing a lot can't.

I'm wondering how they got out of the contract. Either they had a great escape clause or there was some sort of under the table deal made as Galveston is already howling about the lost revenue from those 2014 sailings. It's kind of a double shame because I read that the large number of ships sailing from Galveston was what made Princess decide to move to Bayport starting next year. This decision was made before they knew DCL was leaving.

OK, Mother Nature....thank you...appreciate the nice cold temps, appreciate the really beautiful snow....

Now, please go away, time for 60 degrees plus in North Texas and 70 degrees in Galveston on Weekends....when ships repart and arrive.

Broke the 100 day mark, now planning port activities....definately going back to Paya Bay for a day in Roatan....top notch!

Klingon Cruiser,

Triumph is not allowed to dock until 8.00 am, something to do with the Port Authority, but they do a great job of debarkation and embarkation and you are allowed to enter their terminal when you arrive, and not have to wait outside like at RCL. We are D+ on RCCL but have still encountered being outside several times no matter what the weather!!! I think it has something to do with the size of the terminal as we noticed Carnivals is bigger, so maybe they don't run into the situation with the Fire Marshall like RCL does.

Edited by jst

Most beaches are at the West End. Paya Bay is on the East End. Small resort, primarily catering to sknorleing and diving...One large "great House" about 14 rooms.

Located high on a bluff, with a crescent moon shaped beach to the right and one to the left....the one of the right is used when they have "natural" events: the one of the left is used by folks that like their swimwear...like us.

Food is included, taxi does a pick-up stays with you all day, returns you to the ship.

Very quiet, very secluded, beautiful beaches, wonder day. We have not done Paya bay for about 10 years, but are heading back there is a few short months.

You cvan google it.

I did. Did you find good snorkeling there? And the water?? I love the blue water at West End. Isn't the water not as clear over there? And how much did the day pass cost for the pick up and use of facility?

Edited by BecciBoo

Off the Mariner this morning at 9:00 and home by 10:15. Super smoother debarkation which no one on the ship expected after the terrible embarkation last Sunday. Blame that one on Homeland Security since the ship wasn't cleared until late which left departing passengers running into embarking passengers. Great cruise!

SNorkeling was astounding, beautiful waters.....

cost was $75 per person (does not include gratuity for driver or extra drinks)

we dock at 8 and and sail at 5, so it is a nice full day.

It is an hour ride to the East end...and the road turns to dirt with about 2 miles to go, worry not, driver is not lost!

Happy New Year to all those on this thread.

This year, for the first time in many years, we are not sailing out of Galveston. For celebrating our 30th anniversary, my wife and I wanted a different itinerary. So we are taking a 12 night southern Caribbean trip out of Baltimore. However, I look forward to next year cruising out Galveston again. I really love not having to fly but we did want to see different ports this time. :)

Happy New Year to all those on this thread.

This year, for the first time in many years, we are not sailing out of Galveston. For celebrating our 30th anniversary, my wife and I wanted a different itinerary. So we are taking a 12 night southern Caribbean trip out of Baltimore. However, I look forward to next year cruising out Galveston again. I really love not having to fly but we did want to see different ports this time. :)

Happy New year everyone!

We are just opposite

We haven't been out of Galveston in a while

So we have booked while prices were down on Mariner at end of month

for my birthday.

Doing the western again.

Luckily we have found a house and pet sitter last minute.

For our regular one is leaving on a 65 day cruise.

It's ironic when we have to plan our cruises around

our regular sitters plans.