What "extra" things to ask for from your room steward

azguy

We just returned from the Coral and had great service, I think these cabin stewards work very hard, they talked of 7 days a week and split shifts each day. That can't be easy. As far as asking for extras, a lounge chair, feather pillows, and fruit those things we asked for the first dayand tipped accordingly. I am not sure of the necessity of asking for extras of such things as shampoo and so on, if your steward is good at his or her job, those things will be replenished each time they check your room. The schedule appeared to be, we showered and used towels, shampoo and so on early in the day, steward came and replaced anything used, fruit, water, sodas, hair products and placed new towels. Again, we followed the same routine, showering before dinner and again during our dinner hours, everything was replaced again. To make things easier for the steward to prepare the bed we always made sure nothing was left on it. Nothing was left on the floor to impede vacumning. They may have chosen this "career" but I can't imagaine anyone making it more difficult for them by too many requests. As for nho9504 comment that he thinks 90% of the people asking for extras would tip extra at the end, I totally disagree. After reading these boards for years, that certainly doesn't seem to be what I have read. Many people think all this is their due because they have paid for a vacation. The stewards are away from their homeland and families for months at a time and almost always work with a smile no matter how they feel. I think Doris is right about getting some of these things yourself. Patters and newpaper print outs are available at the Pursurs desk, get your morning juice from room service, that is a separate "career" choice. And definitely tip extra either at the beginning or end or even both. No flamming plese, JMO

sOME OF YOU SAID YOU CRUISE TO BE PAMPERED. From now on you can call it anything you like other than pampering.

Get this. The friendly folks at Proctor and Gamble (or whoever makes Pampers) sued, AND WON! Apparently they figured out a way to convince a court that they could trademark the English language. From now on cruise lines will not tell anybody or admit that they pamper people because the court said that the Pampers People are the ONLY ones who can use the word in advertising.

This is just the opposite of what's happened in the past. Zipper, the guy who invented that particular fastener, lost his trademark because it was in general use. I understand that all manufacturers try to safeguard their trademarks with their corporate lives, but this time they took a very common word and now nobody else can use it.

So what term will the cruiselines come up with now to show that they want to shower us with affection and extra towels and wine glasses and eggcrate mattresses and other things on request?

Charlotte

On the Sapphire in January we didn't ask for any extras. We got clean towels twice a day, the shampoos and conditioners were replenished when they were needed, so there was nothing else we needed. We didn't bother with fruit platters - we used to go for a walk to get our fresh fruit when we felt we needed it. We were very happy with the service provided for the cost of the onboard tipping charges.

Here is my take, if it is on the stewards cart it is not asking for extra. This includes regular towels, soaps, robes and hangers the first day, lotions, small bucket of ice, chocolates and the patters etc.

Anything relating to drinking is generally provided provided by room service not the steward, and it should be ordered through them and tipped for accordingly. Pack a cork screw in your checked luggage as the room steward is not obligated to leave you even a cheap cork screw-those days are long gone :) I have had friends who requested cork screw come back to find their wine opened. Wine glasses and champagne glasses can be picked up at any bar if you choose not to get them through room service.

Egg crates, feather pillows etc are all extra trips for the room steward and I am sure they would appreciate something for the extra time though a lot of them would not expect it.

I have to agree with Twocats, I have found that people who are the most demanding and ask for a lot of extras are the worst tippers. Although, there are exceptions.

We had a great room steward last year on the EOS. So, on the last sea day I was little bored (I like port days better) I cleaned the room myself to help her out.

Twocats, your post was a joy to read, informative & had well balanced comments on this current topic

Most stateroom stewards (SRS's) usually have to sign either a six, ten or twelve month contracts depending on their country of origin. They work everyday of that contract with a 2-5hrs break during the day (depending on port or sea day) & no day off unless signed off by the ships doctor

Most of the nationalities who work onboard send their earnings home for their families, sometimes this is pre-arranged by the work agencies as part of their contract.

They can have anything from 6-16 cabins to attend to & usually have to employ workers to help them with the bathrooms & vacuuming, especially on turnaround days. These are usually night cleaners or pool boys & they are paid out of the SRS's own tips.

As a career choice working onboard a cruiseship can be great fun & a good earner, but its also seriously hard work, long hours & very stressful.

When any cruise line tells you "their crew work hard to make your cruise very special"...they mean it

There has certainly been a lot of good "stewardly" :p information brought up with the subject of what is reasonable to request from your room steward vs what some seem to think is over the top to request, when you can get it yourself. I do believe that most people tip, and that a lot of people tip in addition to that for good service. We all know there are exceptions to all that, but in visiting at length with our steward on HAL Zaandam, he told us that a cruise ship job was a high paying job for his country, and he worked diligently to get his relatives and friends employed on the cruise ships, as well. He does indeed miss his family, but he feels the distance is the price he pays for giving them a much better life than they would ever have. He also said he tries to call them at least once a week from one of the ports and that he has great friends on ship. I asked him if the job is ever too demanding and he said only when there are rooms with lots of kids or teenagers and they are allowed to trash the room every day, with clothes, food, etc. He said usually his job takes a set amount of time, except when this occurs, but that is the exception and not the rule. RESPECT is the key.

Been on ten cruises (next up- Sapphire to Alaska 9/4 ), and never thought about the extra "Patter". DUH !!! ;-) Great idea, as we both sit in bed and peruse that material before turning in for the night. I also always reguest extra pillows (above and beyond what may be stashed in the closet), and for some unknown reason, we always ask for some extra clothes hangers- there just never seem to be enough.

everything including the towels allocated daily to the stateroom stewards from the linenkeeper are seriously limited (usually to the amount of cabins they look after) & the linen store is only usually open twice a day to dispense towels & bedding.

Keeping pool towels in your room is ok & I much prefer them them to the room towels (much softer)

Brits best, I found your comment very patronising.

Yes I may be new here, but having worked onboard cruiseships for many years & a seasoned cruiser myself I have the advantage of seeing things from both sides.

The comments I make are not only accurate but will also ensure you get the best out of the crew and your cruise.

Your towel comment may be accurate for some cruiselines but not Princess. On Princess you get your pool towels from your "SRS" so if you need extra you have to request one.

Might want to check facts before you claim your accuracy;)

Scott

Scott, you beat me to the punch on this one. I agree, dorisday seems to have a lot of facts, but any of them could easily be picked up during a cruise.

We too ask for extra towels as stated early in this post.

Last cruise we were able to have a drink with one of the waiters on his break. He loves working for Princess and although it is for 10 months straight, when he goes home for two months he "lives like a king." :) Direct quote from him. He said that most people are very generous at the end of the cruise to him and his assistant. If you leave the auto tip on, they get to keep whatever is in the envelope.

As far as the beginning of the cruise, I have a VERY short list (about 4 items) that I would appreciate having before getting ready for dinner. I pass the list tothe cabin attendant with a tip folded inside even before the items are delivered.:)

So far, we have never been disappointed in the service from anyone on either the Grand or Star. Well maybe one guy didn't jump as high as I would have liked when I said "JUMP" :D :D

Your stateroom steward is one of the hardest working & lowest paid members of crew onboard. To add to their workload asking for trivial items is both unfair & unnecessary.

enjoy your cruise & give the crew the respect they deserve, they work extremely hard to make your holiday special

They do work hard - but the pay, when you include the tips, is pretty good wages for the country of there origin - On our latest cruise on the Star our stateroom stewardess spoke very good english - she said she was an english teacher in her country and could make more money working on the ship - so, I guess it can't be too bad.

Ron

Here is my take, if it is on the stewards cart it is not asking for extra. This includes regular towels, soaps, robes and hangers the first day, lotions, small bucket of ice, chocolates and the patters etc.

Anything relating to drinking is generally provided provided by room service not the steward, and it should be ordered through them and tipped for accordingly. Pack a cork screw in your checked luggage as the room steward is not obligated to leave you even a cheap cork screw-those days are long gone :) I have had friends who requested cork screw come back to find their wine opened. Wine glasses and champagne glasses can be picked up at any bar if you choose not to get them through room service.

Egg crates, feather pillows etc are all extra trips for the room steward and I am sure they would appreciate something for the extra time though a lot of them would not expect it.

I know we are the exception rather than the norm - we only have our carry-ons on our last 3 cruises - the one in 2003 was on Carnival Legend West Caribbean, in 2004 it was a 7 day Mexican Riviera on Diamond last Dec, then followed by a 14 day Trans Panama on Celebrity Summit. We only have our carry-ons plus one backpack for all 3 cruises. And we managed to bring one suit, one sport coat, 3 shirts, few ties, one pair of formal shoes (bulky, the very nice one that are made in France) for DH, and 2 gowns, 3 silk pant suits, 2 dresses, for me among other things (the jeans, T-shirts, polo shirts, etc etc.) Celebrity is a lot more formal than Princess and it has 3 formal 4 informal (asked for sport coat for men and cocktail dress for ladies). We have perfected the packing art and have travelled with carry-on all over the world with trips lasting from 14 to 25 days each. So, we do need to ask for corkscrew !

Really, I dont see how such things become such a big deal - the good people that are the room stewards and waiters etc, they work hard, like any other working people should. They get paid by their work. I dont see there is any difference when you check in a hotel, you need some extra towels, etc, you ask for housekeeping. You dont go out to look for the towels yourself. Our Phillipino room steward on Daimond was very happy to bring items we asked and he cheerfully performed his duties everyday. We also tipped him extra at the end of the cruise after leaving the auto tip in the folio.

On the other hand, our room steward and his assistant on Celebrity Summit only did a barely acceptable job - a few times the washing basin was not cleaned. Fresh towels were forgotten on one day. Lints found floating in the iced water jug every day ... we dont dare to drink the water from day one when we discover the lint. At the end we still left the recommended tips on our folio as Celebrity does not have a choice like Princess, to adjust your tips. You either choose to auto tip or to hand out tips yourself. We decided not to go thru the trouble just let the tip stayed. But the steward on Summit definitely does not earn his tip in our opinion.

People on these boards make this subject, as well as the dress code for formal nights, a big deal. At the end it boils down to being a personal judgment and choices. Just be fair, reasonable and respectful. After all, it is a vacation for most of you. No need to make a mole into a hill.

What do most people consider to be a nice "extra" tip? We always leave the auto-tip on--even once when we had a poor steward. The only extra thing we generally ask for is the egg crate mattress. Generally we give an extra $20 if the steward is good. Is this sufficient?

I've had folks advise pre-tipping your cabin steward in addition to the automatic $10 p/p added on to your account. Amount advise ranged from $20 to $100! I figure I'll give him/her a $40 pre-tip along with my extras request at the beginning of the cruise. Hopefully that will work :D

As for towels - Nope, Princess DOES NOT PROVIDE POOL TOWEL at the poolside on our sailing. Specifically, it has a notice in the cabin, telling passengers the Pool Towel in the cabin is your responsibility, that you need to make sure not to lose it - It would cost you big bucks should you misplace your pool towel.

QUOTE]

Princess does have towels near the pool. You just have to look for them..

lotus2.jpg

As for towels - Nope, Princess DOES NOT PROVIDE POOL TOWEL at the poolside on our sailing. Specifically, it has a notice in the cabin, telling passengers the Pool Towel in the cabin is your responsibility, that you need to make sure not to lose it - It would cost you big bucks should you misplace your pool towel.

QUOTE]

Princess does have towels near the pool. You just have to look for them..

lotus2.jpg

Never seen them on any of our cruises - must be well hidden!

Ron

Ron.. Ask one of the deck hands by the pool.. They will show you where they hide them..

I guess if you don't ask you don't get - thanks!

Isaac just drove in

Ron

I've never seen them before either!

That is an awfully little table, with hardly any towels... I wonder if that was meant for the general public?

If you look closely at the other side of the pool, you will see another table with towels on them.. They are meant for the general public. I used one..

At the risk of being sued for infringing on P&G's use of the term "pamper" (or is that "Pamper?"), I'm not particularly fond of being pampered (about as fond as being Pampered.) I may not be the average cruiser, but I've never really found that I need or even want anything from the stewards other than to replace the linens I leave on the bathroom floor and to make up the room. I do like a little friendly banter with them, because I've found them all to be really interesting people. Is that an extra?? :)

But, if we're compiling a list, how about

"Could you take this morning off? I'll make up my own room."

"Could you take this cash off my hands? You've made our trip really pleasant."

"Could I get you anything while I'm in port if you're not leaving?"

"Could I get your full name. I'd like to say nice things about you on my C.R.U.I.S.E comment card?"

As others have said, I am on vacation. I don't like to use wet towels. Since the water they use is desalinated you are not really "saving" water, but I guess you can say you are saving the energy that it takes to desalinate the water.

By reusing towels, you are not only saving the energy expended to desalinate water, but also what is used to dry and press the towels. Most important is the amount of gray water that is discharged into the ocean…the detergent and fabric softeners have to go somewhere.

Amount advise ranged from $20 to $100! I figure I'll give him/her a $40 pre-tip along with my extras request at the beginning of the cruise. Hopefully that will work

I’ve never pre-tipped a room steward, although I’ve always added to the auto tip at the end of a cruise. I’ve found that please and thank you seem to work fine for whatever I need.

Scotch Please.. Glenmorangie. Port Finish, two ice cubes.. :D

My son-in-law likes Johnnie Walker Blue - but at $200 per bottle he settles for Glenlivet or Glenfiddich.

Ron

Archived