What "extra" things to ask for from your room steward

azguy

My wife and I will have our first cruise next week in Alaska. I've seen various people mention that they ask for various "extras" from their room stewards. Beyond an "egg crate" mattress, I'm not sure what else people are asking for on their first day.

Any recommendations on what we should be asking for?

Thanks to everyone for their help.

When we get to our cabin, I have a small list made out and give it to our cabin attendant. I ask for 2 bathrobes, 2 wineglasses and extra towels. ( We pack the corkscrew in our luggage.) As I pass the list, it also has folded with it a pre-tip. Never had to wait for anything all week. The wineglasses were new ones every day and had extra towels daily. If you are bigger than a breadbox, you will need them :)

I don't find the bed uncomfortable, so never request an eggcrate. You can put the bathrobes and eggcrate in your personalizer, but will probably still have to ask for them upon arrival.:)

If I'm in a balcony cabin and it's a large balcony I ask for a pool lounge chair. It's great to have that when I spend a lot of time on the baclony. Much more comfortable than the reclining chairs.

If I'm in a balcony cabin and it's a large balcony I ask for a pool lounge chair. It's great to have that when I spend a lot of time on the baclony. Much more comfortable than the reclining chairs.

Great idea. :)

And the extra copy of the Patter, Sharkie - good thinking :)

Brits:

An egg-crate mattress is a large piece of thick foam rubber with an overall pattern of indentations that look like an egg carton from the grocery store.

I'm not sure what part(s) of the body are supposed to fit into these indentations when you sleep on this type of mattress!

Robes and daily supply of wine glasses, for sure. We also sometimes request extra pillows after we've "tested" them, and it's nice to have extra pool towels if you can manage it. We also alert stateroom steward to our daily water delivery, and they sign for it if we're not there.

DH could sleep on concrete, so we haven't ever asked for the egg-crate mattress - LOL!

Chris

On my recent Royal Princess cruise, my bed was rock hard so I requested an egg crate mattress. I was told that they were all taken so my cabin steward took the initiative and got two blankets, folded them and put them on the bed under the bottom sheet. They worked like a charm! I also request extra pool towels, mainy to use one as a bath towel. As Northender says, if you're bigger than a breadbox, the towels you're given are kinda small.

If you don't care for the foam pillows, feather pillows are also available upon request.

Also a little shower tip - if you want a nice luxurious, roomy shower at least once during the cruise, head to the spa area - you don't have to have a spa appt. to use the showers, and the towels there are nice and big, as are the shower stalls!

Pam in MA.

Apparently we got the last egg crate foam. Not sure really, but we had to wait for the second day to get our foam as it was after 9PM, as you know, by the time we got around to asking for it. But there was no problem getting it. The second day found the bed made up with the foam and it made a real difference with sleeping. Those Royal mattresses were hard.

Sorry to hear about all the medical problems you are dealing with. Good thing you are all rested up after that great trip. We enjoy our days in Rome at the end of the trip.

But good to be home too. Hard to realize it was just a little over a week ago that we got home.

I think fresh fruit is no charge on all the ships. Those I have been on there has been no charge.

We asked for egg crate mattresses on the Diamond and Sun and got blank stares. Those two stewards, at least, called them foam toppers or foam mattresses, so you might ask for those instead. :D We received them promptly, along with a couple of feather pillows. Sometimes you have to get the wine glasses from room service, but you can get them with no problem.

On our Diamond cruise last December, we asked for eggcrate mattress, extra pillows, bottle of lotion, and corkscrew - we had a bottle of wine as gift from TA. We also asked to separate the beds into 2 twins, so that we have a bigger space between 2 beds, instead of 2 very narrow openings along side the bed ...

Our room steward noted all requests on his pad, but said we had to ask for corkscrew from room service.

He promptly performed all these but forgot the lotion. One reminder that evening got it fixed. We did not pre-tip. He was a very friendly young Philippino, always address us by our names with Mr. and Mrs., instead of by our last name ... We did tip him extra at the end of the cruise.

Hi, we were on the Star Transatlantic last fall.................all my requests were taken care of immediately. Every nite ordered to have in fridge glass of cranberry juice for pills in the am;extra pillows,,,,,feather. Lap robe or blanket for chair in the room when sitting up and resting................extra blankets,,needed for fall sailing across the Atlantic. Extra towels and special fruits in the bowl daily. Have sailed 16 times with Princess and nothing but good to report................sailin sal and phil

If you don't care for the foam pillows, feather pillows are also available upon request.

Also a little shower tip - if you want a nice luxurious, roomy shower at least once during the cruise, head to the spa area - you don't have to have a spa appt. to use the showers, and the towels there are nice and big, as are the shower stalls!

That was an interesting tip about the shower!!!

I always ask for robes, wine glasses, and a cork screw.

I usually get them within the hour!!

Do you have to pay extra for the robes??? I notice that you can ask for these on line in the cruise personalizer.

Archived