Radiance Specialty Dining

We are going on an eight night cruise on the Radiance of the Seas in December. I was wondering if anyone has tried the specialty dining options and when is the best time to book or go to the venues. Is there anyway to see the MDR menus in advance. We sailed with Carnival in the US and the specialty restaurant was much better than the MDR and had a better wine selection. Any advice welcomed.

We have just returned from a short Radiance cruise and ended up having virtually all meals in the specialty restaurants. IMO this was the best ship's restaurant food we have had in all of our cruises on a range of ships including Silversea and Azamara. We had a Chef's Table package and it was very cost effective. I booked that before we boarded. We also lunched at Izumi on the first day which was good but they do not do cooked/hot menu items at lunchtime so that was a little limiting. We did not try the cantina or Brazilian but ate at Chops, Giovanni's and Chef's Table over the 2 nights.

We were also on the 2 nighter and had lunch on the first day at Giovannis Table. It cost $15pp and was the best meal we had over the 2 days. The service was nothing short of spectacular. The waiter even bought over 2 dishes that we hadn't even ordered because they were his favourites. They were ours too at the end of lunch. I would highly recommened you dine there at least once :).

We have eaten several times at Izumis - absolutely love it, and also once at Chops which was also fantastic food. The dining packages are a good way to go if you are planning on eating in the restaurants, but over a short cruise I personally wouldn't cos we also enjoy the MDR.

We are going on an eight night cruise on the Radiance of the Seas in December. I was wondering if anyone has tried the specialty dining options and when is the best time to book or go to the venues. Is there anyway to see the MDR menus in advance.

They don't publish them in advance but they do rotate them. To give you an idea, here is a menu from a day of my cruise on Radiance (last year).

Starters:

Strawberry, kiwi and pineapple medley

Smoked Fish Tapenada

Vidalia Onion Tart

Sopa de Tortilla

Hod and Sour Prawn Soup

Chilled Watermelon Gazpacho

Spinach Salad

Caesar Salad

Mains:

Chinese Chicken Salad

Truffled wild mushroom linguini Alfredo

Pan seared grouper

Slowroasted prime rib

Grilled Mediterranean Quesadilla

Aloo Gobi Methi

We took the 4 restaurants for $70pp deal on Radiance earlier this year and enjoyed all of them.

I would say go for it! Then you will know what you like or not next time you cruise.

Best to book a day or two before, although sometimes we booked that morning & still got in, but not always.

On a shortish cruise of 8 days it may be worth booking them all at the start.

We have just returned from a short Radiance cruise and ended up having virtually all meals in the specialty restaurants. IMO this was the best ship's restaurant food we have had in all of our cruises on a range of ships including Silversea and Azamara. We had a Chef's Table package and it was very cost effective. I booked that before we boarded. We also lunched at Izumi on the first day which was good but they do not do cooked/hot menu items at lunchtime so that was a little limiting. We did not try the cantina or Brazilian but ate at Chops, Giovanni's and Chef's Table over the 2 nights.

Hi Aussieflyer

What did you think of the Chef's Table? We are booked in on the second night of our cruise on Radiance in December. Heard really good things and it's always good to hear a recent review. :)

Cheers

Louise

I was on Radiance earlier in the year and loved the specialty restaurants.

Izumi was fantastic, especially the hot rock where you cook your own seafood or meat.

Rita's Cantina was a lot of fun for a casual dinner. The cocktails are huge, food quite good as well. Wasn't five star dining but at the same time was well worth the surcharge.

Samba is definitely an experience, great if you love meats. There is one chicken and one or two fish courses, as well as starters and deserts. Also enjoyed this one.

While ive always quite enjoyed the dining options in the main dining room, I would say the specialty dining options are definitely worth trying out.

Radiance had a fantastic selection of dining options, even the more casual and complimentary ones such as Park Cafe in the Solarium where you gt baguettes, salads, breakfasts, cakes etc, and also the Boardwalk Hot Dog which had some nice hot dogs and sides when getting back from a day at port.

You definitely won't go hungry on Radiance!

Hi Aussieflyer

What did you think of the Chef's Table? We are booked in on the second night of our cruise on Radiance in December. Heard really good things and it's always good to hear a recent review. :)

Cheers

Louise

Hi Louise

We really enjoyed the Chef's table and thought it was definitely worth the money. We felt that the main dish (lamb rack) was the weakest of the 5 courses but we saw that they alternate this dish (with a surf/turf item). It was great to hear the chef describe the dish and then the sommelier would introduce the wine for the course. If you wanted more of any wine, no problems. I only had "tasting" amounts but was told to ask for more when I wanted. We had a glass of champers to begin and then were ushered into the room which was set up with name tags etc. I could tell you the menu but that would spoil the experience as I think it is pretty standard with only really the main course alternating. The only downside was that the music from the lounge next door was a bit noisy at times.

Hope you like it as much as we did. If we travel on RCI again will certainly take the package to do Chef's Table again.

Jenny

Hi Louise

We really enjoyed the Chef's table and thought it was definitely worth the money. .. It was great to hear the chef describe the dish and then the sommelier would introduce the wine for the course. If you wanted more of any wine, no problems. I only had "tasting" amounts but was told to ask for more when I wanted. Jenny

We also enjoyed the Chefs Table on Radiance but were not offered additional wine. The Sommelier we had was a very obnoxious know it all and quite rude. When someone asked for more wine he absolutely refused and actually stated that "your credit card is not big enoug to pay the bill". The Chef was fantastic.

Overall the speciality dining experiences are superior to the MDR but that does not mean that the MDR is inferior in any way.

On a longer cruise - highly recommend the package.

Chops, Giovannis and Samba are fantastic. Brilliant food.

The Chefs Table is such a special night. Brilliant and so much fun.

And when you buy the package you also get to go on a galley tour. Usually on the last sea day. It was also fantastic.

I have done it all twice. And will do it again on 1st Dec.

Raina

Hi Steve,

We just disembarked from the Radiance 3 day cruise.

We booked Samba Grille for dinner the first night to avoid the crowds (and those who seem to drink for 5 hours straight after they get aboard) and we thoroughly enjoyed it.

The service was good, food great and totally different dining experience.

Make sure you are very hungry though before your dinner as there is lots of food.

Word of warning: they offer water & you have to pay for it. We were charged $16.95 for 2 bottles of still water.

Rita's Mexican cantina looked fantastic, food was abundant and not too dear price wise, seemed very reasonable. The food is prepared in a special kitchen in the windjammer and you can always go and see the food being prepped before decided to book.

Chops Grille is always fantastic and one of the best steaks you will have on the seas!

• 4 weeks later...

We booked the $145 per person Chefs table Package and it was worth every cent. The chefs table was a fantastic experience and the Captain and the Hotel Director served our first course which was a bit of a novelty. The food and wines were superb and it is not always the same (the specialty restaurants have the same menu every day).

Chops Grille was narrowly the next best (although not as good as the Carnival Steak house). The Bearnaise sauce is excellent.

Giovanni's table was excellent (try the Osso Bucco and the lobster ravioli). It would have been the best but one of the pasta had a 'skin' on the sauce caused by having it under the lights too long before serving.

Izumi was very good at Dinner time.

Samba grill was good but not quite up there with the other four IMHO. The creme caramel for dessert was a bit average which was disappointing as that is one of my favourites.

Rita's Cantina has a fun atmosphere but the food is very ho hum and I wouldn't bother again.

We booked the $145 per person Chefs table Package and it was worth every cent. The chefs table was a fantastic experience and the Captain and the Hotel Director served our first course which was a bit of a novelty. The food and wines were superb and it is not always the same (the specialty restaurants have the same menu every day).

Chops Grille was narrowly the next best (although not as good as the Carnival Steak house). The Bearnaise sauce is excellent.

Giovanni's table was excellent (try the Osso Bucco and the lobster ravioli). It would have been the best but one of the pasta had a 'skin' on the sauce caused by having it under the lights too long before serving.

Izumi was very good at Dinner time.

Samba grill was good but not quite up there with the other four IMHO. The creme caramel for dessert was a bit average which was disappointing as that is one of my favourites.

Rita's Cantina has a fun atmosphere but the food is very ho hum and I wouldn't bother again.

Certainly lucky to be served by the Captain - very unusual. We loved Chops and the Samba Grill (not good for the diet). Rita's is more of a fun place to enjoy on a warm day with a large Margarita:). On a cool windy day, every time they open the Windjammer door, you get a blast of cold air.

The captain was at the Return welcome party next door and they roped them in. He actually seems to be a very personable and fun guy. He joined in a number of the activities including the cake decorating.

I forgot to add that when I returned from the bathroom he opened the door for me!!!

• 3 months later...
We took the 4 restaurants for $70pp deal on Radiance earlier this year and enjoyed all of them.

I would say go for it! Then you will know what you like or not next time you cruise.

Best to book a day or two before, although sometimes we booked that morning & still got in, but not always.

On a shortish cruise of 8 days it may be worth booking them all at the start.

Hi there!

I've just been pouring over the deck plans for Radiance and noticed so many specialty restaurants on-board!

Whilst we usually enjoy the MDR menus we recently partook of the dining package on Rhapsody and are now absolutely convinced that you receive excellent food, service and value for money dining at these restaurants which would cost an arm and a leg on-shore for something similar!

I see the following restaurants:

* Samba Grill

* Rita's Cantina

* Chef's Table - Don't drink so can't see this being of value for us

* Ijumis - LOVED this on Rhapsody

* Giovannis - Enjoyed on Rhapsody

* Chops Grill - also enjoyed on Rhapsody

Please advise which restaurants are part of the dining package on-board Radiance.

Thanks - Gae

Hi there!

Please advise which restaurants are part of the dining package on-board Radiance.

Thanks - Gae

From the website for the 4 dining room package:

On Radiance of the Seas®

Enjoy dinner at four restaurants: Chops Grille steakhouse, Giovanni's Table Italian restaurant, Samba Grill Brazilian Steakhouse, and Izumi Asian cuisine for just $75 per person.

Don't forget the Mystery Dinner Theatre on the longer cruises.

From the website for the 4 dining room package:

On Radiance of the Seas®

Enjoy dinner at four restaurants: Chops Grille steakhouse, Giovanni's Table Italian restaurant, Samba Grill Brazilian Steakhouse, and Izumi Asian cuisine for just $75 per person.

Don't forget the Mystery Dinner Theatre on the longer cruises.

Thanks for obtaining that information for me!

I'm sure we'll decide to book it for our 16-day cruise!

Gae

Thanks for obtaining that information for me!

I'm sure we'll decide to book it for our 16-day cruise!

Gae

We did a 17 night cruise last September and went to Chops Grille steakhouse, Giovanni's Table Italian restaurant and Samba Grill Brazilian Steakhouse.

We booked during the cruise without any problems.

Make sure you have a light lunch.

We'll be on the Radiance in Nov, just wondering is the Italian Restaurant one you need to get dressed to the nines to dine, or is it a bit more casual?

And does anyone have an opinion/information on the English pub that is meant to be onboard? is it just drinks or pub grub too?

So looking forward to this next cruise.

We'll be on the Radiance in Nov, just wondering is the Italian Restaurant one you need to get dressed to the nines to dine, or is it a bit more casual?

And does anyone have an opinion/information on the English pub that is meant to be onboard? is it just drinks or pub grub too?

So looking forward to this next cruise.

Giovannis is smart casual only. Chefs Table is where you are expected to dress nicely as it is very intimate with only 12-16 diners.

The Quill & Compass pub is drinks only. There is no "pub grub" served on RCCL ships

• 3 weeks later...

Archived