Booked GUR OV, Carnival changed cabin after assigned

UFQ202

Yesterday I checked for my cabin to be assigned and was amazed when we were given cabin 7242 on the Magic. We had booked Guarantee OV and have 4 people in the cabin. When I sat down tonight to finally print out the paperwork now it shows TBA. I called Carnival and was told "oh they are still working on your booking". I pointed out they had assigned our cabin and why would they change it now. I was told "because you only booked an OV and not a balcony". Now I understand this was a suite and more expensive but am really upset with the attitude of the person I talked to. If it was a handicaped room I can accept being changed without notice but send an e-mail telling me a mistake had been made. This won't ruin my cruise and I'll still sail Carnival but I am upset with the handling of my booking. Has this happened to anyone else?

Have you read the Carnival ticket contract?

Section 7, paragraph g

(g) Specific stateroom assignments are not guaranteed. Carnival reserves the right to move Guests to a comparable stateroom for any reason, including but not limited to, instances in which a stateroom is booked with fewer than the maximum number of Guests the stateroom can accommodate; or when a partial Guest cancellation occurs and the remaining number of Guests do not match the maximum number of Guests the stateroom can accommodate.

Plus, you booked an OV, and Ocean View Guarantee. that's all they have to give you. Sure, some folks get upgraded cabins, but they are not obligated to do that.

Have you read the Carnival ticket contract?

Section 7, paragraph g

Plus, you booked an OV, and Ocean View Guarantee. that's all they have to give you. Sure, some folks get upgraded cabins, but they are not obligated to do that.

I knew that could happen when I booked the ocean view guarantee. I can accept being moved, what I find sad is how I was treated on the phone when I called to find out what had happened. With e-mail and phones it would have been nice for someone to let me know. Common courtesy is something I seem to find less and less today. I do appreciate you finding the ticket contract information for me. I will be honest I did not realize that even if one booked a specific cabin Carnival can move you.

I knew that could happen when I booked the ocean view guarantee. I can accept being moved, what I find sad is how I was treated on the phone when I called to find out what had happened. With e-mail and phones it would have been nice for someone to let me know. Common courtesy is something I seem to find less and less today. I do appreciate you finding the ticket contract information for me. I will be honest I did not realize that even if one booked a specific cabin Carnival can move you.

You need to get over the fact they did not email you. No mistake was made. You may not know your actual room until you get on the ship. If you cannot stand the uncertainty, you need to pick you room. While you can still be moved even then, that possiility is very low. If you were as stubborn on the phone as you have been here, I can see where the other person came off rude to you.

especially with booking an oceanview guarentee....they can keep moving you up til'sailing. even with printing luggage tags a day before you sail do not hand that luggage to a porter until he verifies your cabin number

Your assignment for Guarantee bookings isn't final until check-in. It's pretty rare, but you can be assigned cabin(s) in the interim and be changed subsequently - this is the booking/assignment flexibility that Carnival is gaining by charging less for Guarantee Bookings. ken

Your assignment for Guarantee bookings isn't final until check-in. It's pretty rare, but you can be assigned cabin(s) in the interim and be changed subsequently - this is the booking/assignment flexibility that Carnival is gaining by charging less for Guarantee Bookings. ken

Exactly.......

If I'm understanding you correctly, your issue isn't about being moved, it's about customer service.

Frankly if you book guarantee and your cabin assignment isn't finalized, it shouldn't be appearing on your documents. Creates too much confusion for passengers. You felt happy with the upgrade and disappointed when you were moved, but you wouldn't be posting here if your cabin assignment said "TBD". I'm sure Carnival can keep track of cabin assignments without creating this customer service issue.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

"oh they are still working on your booking"...OK, you booked an OV guarantee but now you feel entitled to a cabin assignment that is in flux until you set down your suitcases and you proceed to berate the customer service messenger with your entitlement issues. And because the resulting telephone call didn't end with the outcome you thought you deserved you are now complaining about said customer service on a web site. Have I got the gist of this thread?

If I'm understanding you correctly, your issue isn't about being moved, it's about customer service.

Frankly if you book guarantee and your cabin assignment isn't finalized, it shouldn't be appearing on your documents. Creates too much confusion for passengers. You felt happy with the upgrade and disappointed when you were moved, but you wouldn't be posting here if your cabin assignment said "TBD". I'm sure Carnival can keep track of cabin assignments without creating this customer service issue.

Dear Songbird, Thanks for understanding the issue. I usually book the cabin I want but this time I took a chance and booked OV guarantee. I just wanted to save some money for my son's friend. We added him after we had booked our cruise. This is his first cruise so I was thrilled with our cabin. Today I had to tell him that Carnival had made a mistake and we have to wait for our cabin to be assigned. In 8 days we will be on the Magic and none of this will matter. Thank you for everyone's input.:)

Dear Songbird, Thanks for understanding the issue. I usually book the cabin I want but this time I took a chance and booked OV guarantee. I just wanted to save some money for my son's friend. We added him after we had booked our cruise. This is his first cruise so I was thrilled with our cabin. Today I had to tell him that Carnival had made a mistake and we have to wait for our cabin to be assigned. In 8 days we will be on the Magic and none of this will matter. Thank you for everyone's input.:)

You're welcome.

It's about raising expectations that may not be met. If you never knew about the assignment you'd never feel disappointed with the change.

When booking a Guarantee cabin, the cabin assignment is not finalized until you check in, meaning they can change your cabin several times if they feel the need to. In the past when I booked Guar, I have never been notified of changes to my room assignment, and I would check often until departure for any changes.

With that being said, I find it unacceptable for the agent to be rude to you. It was completely unnecessary and she could have just as easily explained the policy nicely and apologized for any misunderstanding.

When booking a Guarantee cabin, the cabin assignment is not finalized until you check in, meaning they can change your cabin several times if they feel the need to. In the past when I booked Guar, I have never been notified of changes to my room assignment, and I would check often until departure for any changes.

With that being said, I find it unacceptable for the agent to be rude to you. It was completely unnecessary and she could have just as easily explained the policy nicely and apologized for any misunderstanding.

Exactly.

I think everyone has spoken to representatives....and has been told what you don't want to hear....especially when you try to explain that you are right and the company is wrong!

Has anyone ever thought that representative to not be rude???

OP ignored "the rules" and prematurely told others that he "got a suite at OV price". I can understand that it's a bit embarrassing for him.......

Of course I didn't listen in to the conversation....so I really don't know what was said, nor does anyone else.

You're welcome.

It's about raising expectations that may not be met. If you never knew about the assignment you'd never feel disappointed with the change.

Thank you for being the voice of reason and not ripping the OP a new one.

Kudos to you.:)

Bill

Thank you for being the voice of reason and not ripping the OP a new one.

Kudos to you.:)

Bill

:)

I am sure Carnival can come up with a way to make temporary cabin assignments while

they figure out a final plan, without publishing that information. I am sure I would feel annoyed if I printed out luggage tags, believing my cabin assignment was the real one, only to have to print them out again when the assignment changed.

There are many small things, things that don't cost money, that Carnival can do to make a customer feel wonderful about their experience. Conversely, there are things Carnival does . . .well, they're not doing anything wrong, but what they're doing just doesn't seem right, if you know what I mean.

When I check into a hotel I don't usually know what room I will have, only the type of room. I get to the hotel and I get my room and I am happy. Ditto with a guarantee cabin.

Yesterday I checked for my cabin to be assigned and was amazed when we were given cabin 7242 on the Magic. We had booked Guarantee OV and have 4 people in the cabin. When I sat down tonight to finally print out the paperwork now it shows TBA. I called Carnival and was told "oh they are still working on your booking". I pointed out they had assigned our cabin and why would they change it now. I was told "because you only booked an OV and not a balcony". Now I understand this was a suite and more expensive but am really upset with the attitude of the person I talked to. If it was a handicaped room I can accept being changed without notice but send an e-mail telling me a mistake had been made. This won't ruin my cruise and I'll still sail Carnival but I am upset with the handling of my booking. Has this happened to anyone else?

Was it the *way* the person said it? Because I don't see much in the words they said that displays an attitude.

Archived