Traveling with group in different cabin classes

DH and I are booked in an inside. Our group also includes 2 balcony rooms, a GS and a Royal Suite. The 2 suite groups get concierge priority seating, etc. How do we sit with them at the pool, etc. Are we allowed in the reserved areas or do they have to waive their right to use them?

DH and I are booked in an inside. Our group also includes 2 balcony rooms, a GS and a Royal Suite. The 2 suite groups get concierge priority seating, etc. How do we sit with them at the pool, etc. Are we allowed in the reserved areas or do they have to waive their right to use them?

Unfortunately, the "priority" perks are only for the suite guests, so your friends in the RS and GS will have to be part of the masses if they want to be together with you.

unless you are D+ on your own merits then those not in a GS or above do not have access to the reserved areas or the CL. it will be up to the ones with the gold sea passes to forgo the amenities

You may all be able to enjoy priority boarding with your suite friends, but that is all. When traveling with others who have a variety of suite amenities or Crown and Anchor status benefits, generally some of the suite and C&A perks will have to go unused if the group want to sit together or be together all the time.

The folks in the full suite and Royal Suite have an opportunity to enjoy special reserved seating at various ship venues, have continental breakfast, specialty coffee all day and evening cocktails in the concierge lounge. They may also get invited to a special cocktail party and the passengers in the Royal Suite may receive an invitation to dinner with an officer.

Naturally, those in any other accommodations will not have the same benefits as passengers who paid for costly full suites ( or have achieved high C&A loyalty status) .

The good news is - Except for the Concierge lounge and some reserved seating, ALL other ship amenities are available for EVERYONE to enjoy. You can’t sit with them, but they can sit with you.

enjoy

M

Unfortunately, the other posts are correct. However, the one exception that the Concierge may allow is if you are directly related to one of the suite guests. This happend in one of our family group cruises when we were all in GS's, but my wife's sister and husband were in a JS. (They had requested a GS but none were available). We had linked reservations and the concierge allowed them the gold card previledges and access to the CL.

I believe that was her call and not necessarily the policy, but her explanation was to keep us all together as we were a family group and they were the only party not in a GS. Very nice to do.

Unfortunately, the other posts are correct. However, the one exception that the Concierge may allow is if you are directly related to one of the suite guests. This happend in one of our family group cruises when we were all in GS's, but my wife's sister and husband were in a JS. (They had requested a GS but none were available). We had linked reservations and the concierge allowed them the gold card previledges and access to the CL.

I believe that was her call and not necessarily the policy, but her explanation was to keep us all together as we were a family group and they were the only party not in a GS. Very nice to do.

I figured we couldn't, but this gives me hope as the GS is my Mom and 1st cousin and the balcony suites Mom and the Royal Suite is my sister. Our ressies are linked, so we shall see I guess. I understand if they can't help us out though.

I figured we couldn't, but this gives me hope as the GS is my Mom and 1st cousin and the balcony suites Mom and the Royal Suite is my sister. Our ressies are linked, so we shall see I guess. I understand if they can't help us out though.

Never hurts to ask the Concierge once on board given your group circumstances - you never know. Good luck!

No wonder there is no seating in the concierge lounge. It is wrong to suggest to others to ask the concierge for admittance, or for folks to hope that he/she will break the rules and allow you in.

It is a perk that others have paid for either by purchasing a larger suite or cruising often with the cruise line. If it is important to go to the Concierge lounge or have special seating on the ship, purchase a larger suite!

M

No wonder there is no seating in the concierge lounge. It is wrong to suggest to others to ask the concierge for admittance, or for folks to hope that he/she will break the rules and allow you in.

It is a perk that others have paid for either by purchasing a larger suite or cruising often with the cruise line. If it is important to go to the Concierge lounge or have special seating on the ship, purchase a larger suite!

M

No argument intended as I actually agree with you. We have enjoyed (and paid for) the perks in both the CL and DL over the years. And I don't think you should ask for non-suite / non-D+ travelling companions to gain access. But the specifics of this particular post was that it was allowed in our case as they were family members, which perhaps presented a unique situation.

The full story regarding our experience is that (as posted) my wife's sister and husband had originally requested a GS with the rest of the family (5 suites total) but the timing was that the last one was assigned just ahead of their reservation, so they ended up in the JS.

On board when we first went into the CL - without them I might add - the Concierge (who we had also known from a previous cruise) had their names in her book on our linked reservation, and invited them to come. As posted, she wanted us to all be together as a family. We did not ask, and in fact were surprised by her gesture. It was entirely her decision - which she confirmed was within her discretion.

My suggestion to the OP as stated in my post to ask was specific to them and their circumstances as it was similar to ours and obviously something that can be allowed. But again, in our case we did not ask - it was offered. And there has always plenty of seats in the CL's we've been in......

The full story regarding our experience is that (as posted) my wife's sister and husband had originally requested a GS with the rest of the family (5 suites total) but the timing was that the last one was assigned just ahead of their reservation, so they ended up in the JS.

In your case, your group had 4 GS's and one other cabin; if the concierge lounge wasn't crowded, I can see MAYBE allowing the guests in the ONE non-suite cabin to join the others in the CL. (Actually, not really, but it wouldn't irritate me as much, under the circumstances.) BUT, in the OP's case, there are 3 non-suite cabins and only 2 suites. To me, the math just doesn't work, and frankly I would be extremely disappointed if the concierge allowed guests of THREE non-suite cabins to join the guests of two suites in the CL. 8 suite guests bringing in 2 non-suite guest? Maybe. 4 suite guests bringing in 6 non-suite guests? No way!

N We did not ask, and in fact were surprised by her gesture. It was entirely her decision - which she confirmed was within her discretion.

having it offered is one thing.. and as you say, you did not ask.

to ask is presumptuous and may put the Concierge in the uncomfortable position of having to deny the request because on that particular sailing there may not be room. and then have to defend that decision especially if the passenger comes back and say."well I spoke to someone else( passenger, CC member, RCI operator, whoever) and they said I could do it, so we made plans around that" etc and so on.

besides, there is a world of difference between a JS and an Inside. you want the perks you will have to pay for them one way or another.

In your case, your group had 4 GS's and one other cabin; if the concierge lounge wasn't crowded, I can see MAYBE allowing the guests in the ONE non-suite cabin to join the others in the CL. (Actually, not really, but it wouldn't irritate me as much, under the circumstances.) BUT, in the OP's case, there are 3 non-suite cabins and only 2 suites. To me, the math just doesn't work, and frankly I would be extremely disappointed if the concierge allowed guests of THREE non-suite cabins to join the guests of two suites in the CL. 8 suite guests bringing in 2 non-suite guest? Maybe. 4 suite guests bringing in 6 non-suite guests? No way!

Good point - and again, no argument as, with reflection, I agree with your assesment as well. Our case may have been different as you observed and I would not necessarily expect it to become the protocol.

I think the distinction I was trying to make is that there are situations that the Conceirge has obviously been given the authority to excersize their discretion to make an exception - and that was likely the case with us. Again, we did not ask nor expect it to happen. She apparently had planned in advance to offer it to them as that is basically what she greated us with. And in a case such as that, a rule is not broken when the person in authority decides to allow it.

having it offered is one thing.. and as you say, you did not ask.

to ask is presumptuous and may put the Concierge in the uncomfortable position of having to deny the request because on that particular sailing there may not be room. and then have to defend that decision especially if the passenger comes back and say."well I spoke to someone else( passenger, CC member, RCI operator, whoever) and they said I could do it, so we made plans around that" etc and so on.

besides, there is a world of difference between a JS and an Inside. you want the perks you will have to pay for them one way or another.

....can't disagree there either. OK - I retract my post suggesting the OP ask - ill advised innocently intended comment! Sorry katrina1122 - you're on your own! :)

Good point - and again, no argument as, with reflection, I agree with your assesment as well. Our case may have been different as you observed and I would not necessarily expect it to become the protocol.

I think the distinction I was trying to make is that there are situations that the Conceirge has obviously been given the authority to excersize their discretion to make an exception - and that was likely the case with us. Again, we did not ask nor expect it to happen. She apparently had planned in advance to offer it to them as that is basically what she greated us with. And in a case such as that, a rule is not broken when the person in authority decides to allow it.

I get what you're saying. I mainly wanted the OP, or whoever else, to see that your case might be viewed differently, and not take it as a case of, "oh, just make sure the reservations are linked and the concierge will let anybody in the group come in." :)

Oh my, are you sure your family wants to waive their rights? ;)

I did not mean to start an arugment.

I have no interest in the CL lounge, nor does the other family (the 2 balcony rooms are 2 adults/2 kids so 1 family). It's 6 people not in CL and 9 in CL (5 adults/4 kids). So the numbers aren't as off as the room count makes it sound.

I was more wondering about show/pool seating and simply gaining access to the CL rooms to hang out with our family.

I have no need for whatever is in the lounge which I'm guesing is free food/drinks and a place to sit. Food on the ship is free anyway so I don't need more of it.

I just want to be able to sit with my nieces and nephews in their seating areas for the shows, etc. I know it's very likely it's not possible, but wanted to see if anyone knew otherwise. I won't whine/pout about it if we can't, just want to know if we have a way of doing so.

Please no arguing over this subject, it wasn't inteded to inflame anyone.

I did not mean to start an arugment.

I have no interest in the CL lounge, nor does the other family (the 2 balcony rooms are 2 adults/2 kids so 1 family). It's 6 people not in CL and 9 in CL (5 adults/4 kids). So the numbers aren't as off as the room count makes it sound.

I was more wondering about show/pool seating and simply gaining access to the CL rooms to hang out with our family.

I have no need for whatever is in the lounge which I'm guesing is free food/drinks and a place to sit. Food on the ship is free anyway so I don't need more of it.

I just want to be able to sit with my nieces and nephews in their seating areas for the shows, etc. I know it's very likely it's not possible, but wanted to see if anyone knew otherwise. I won't whine/pout about it if we can't, just want to know if we have a way of doing so.

Please no arguing over this subject, it wasn't inteded to inflame anyone.[/quote]

No arguing as far as I'm concerned - and I thought you raised a fair question. The discussion surrounding it was also fair and IMO only one post was somewaht "pointed".

To me the bottom line is there are valid reasons why those who have earned or paid for the priveldges associated with the CL should be the only ones to benefit from them. However, the Concierges are clearly empowered with the authority to use their discretion on which are "rules" and those that some latitude may be given. Our case was of the latter. Your circumstances are somewhat similar which prompted my comments.

But - simply because someone might know someone on board with a gold card - to ask the Concierge for benefits you are not entitled to is wrong and should rightfully be met with a response of "no".

I doubt that would have been your intention either way, regaredless of the responses to your question. Again it was a fair question that was also answered fairly. Enjoy your cruise!

Archived