Port everglades -early arrival to the port?

mermaidIamNOT

How early have you gotten to the port did you have to wait long before being able to check-in.

More than once we have arrived around 8:30-9:00am (due to redeye flights from the west coast) No problem with the porter's taking our luggage...the door's to the terminal have opened as early as 10:00-10:30am and we have been onboard between 11:00-12:00..This has been with RCI.

How early have you gotten to the port did you have to wait long before being able to check-in.

Which line are you cruising? They all have their own procedures and time frames. We usually arrive, no matter which ship, around 12-12:30. We miss the early rush and before the later "day-of" flights arrive.

It's a general question about getting to the port early. why would the ship matter. If your too early before check-in you wait, I was just wondering how early those first people onboard ships typically get to the port.

:rolleyes: Well... what you asked was "...did you have to wait long before being able to check in". Different ships allow check in at different times. And obviously if you arrive at 8 in the morning the wait will be longer if you are cruisng on a ship that checks in at 11:30 than cruising on a ship that allows check in at 10:30.

So your question is what???? :o Arrive at the pier at 8 in the morning and be one of the first onboard....but your room might not be ready on some ships until 1:00.

It's a general question about getting to the port early. why would the ship matter. If your too early before check-in you wait, I was just wondering how early those first people onboard ships typically get to the port.

A lot depends on the line and the pier. In some pier buildings, they won't let you go through security until most of the Customs hall is clear. This is because the inbound and outbound passengers can't mix.

Having said that, I try to arrive at the pier early and board as soon as I can because I want to get the most time out of my vacation and my vacation starts when I board the ship. Last year in Port Everglades on the Carnival Freedom, we got their around 9:15 or so. We had to wait about 15 minutes or so before security opened. Luckily, we were early enough that we could wait inside. After that, the check-in process was open. It was fairly quick and we waited about another hour-ish or so before the ship was cleared and we were allowed to board. I'd say we were onboard around 11 or so. Cabins weren't ready until 1.

This year, we're going on Princess, so I'm not all that familiar with the procedure. Again, we plan to be there fairly early. However, since the cabins on Princess are ready when you board, it may be a little longer before they allow boarding. Either way, I plan on being at the pier between 9:30 and 10.

For most lines, they board by groups, first come, first served. This is after the Elites, VIPs, Suite Guest, folks that need assistance, etc.

This year, we're going on Princess, so I'm not all that familiar with the procedure. Again, we plan to be there fairly early. However, since the cabins on Princess are ready when you board, it may be a little longer before they allow boarding. Either way, I plan on being at the pier between 9:30 and 10.

Yes, you will be waiting longer before boarding a Princess ship compared to some other lines. Especially if you aren't elite or in a suite. But yes, the room will be ready for you when you do board to drop off your carry ons, if any. Just your preference on where you want to spend precruise time. We prefer not sitting/standing around in the terminal for a couple hours to be first on the ship. We spend the morning in the city of departure. Then have an easy check in and light later lunch.

Enjoy your cruise!

Archived