Packing lists/how to follow with luggage limits??

Scale the packing list down to your needs. The packing lists are general lists for all possibilities. You don't need everything on the list. My luggage for one week weighs about 30 - 35 pounds. On a domestic flight anything under 50 pounds is fine.

Some people don't think twice about paying fees for overweight or extra bags. It's a personal choice. For some people their essentials are far more than what is average.

We started packing lighter years prior to fees and the enforcement of weight. I just got weary of hauling all that stuff. Now we pretty much take the same stuff with us in our carry ons every trip, whether it's overnight or more than 2 weeks (adjusting the amount of clothing of course). Travel sized toiletries, cut back to essentials only, no extra "just in case" stuff. I leave our carry on packed all the time and only refill bottles.

I think a lot of people just worry that they will be caught unprepared. Granted, a small first aid kit can be essential, but a whole medicine cabinet is overkill. We've also found that, especially when cruising, we can have a bit of laundry done for very little cost, we don't send out the entire suitcase full of clothing, just a few pieces.

We have also downgraded in suitcase size. I'll never be able to travel for a week in just carry on luggage, but I certainly can pack enough for a weeks vacation in a 24 inch case, plus a small carry on. Our cases usually weigh in at around 38-42 lbs. I don't mind having only a small selection of shoes available for the week, the woman in the next cabin may think of it as torture to not have 14 pair.

You pay so much for a cruise that you should take what you will need. Now "need" is the key word. My point is if there are things you need that will result in paying more for the flight I would do that. But I wouldn't take things that are not needed.

Keith

Here is one thread from th Fashion & Beauty Board about packing lightly

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1687293&highlight=packing+lightly

other sites are

onebag.com

one bag one world

There are also many videos on Youtube.

Rules I follow--

-If it doesn't fit into my 22" suitcase I don't take it. My tote bag is packed in my luggage for the return.

-Start with shoes. water, sandal, walking, dress

Decide if you want to do Formal night.

-All tops go with all bottoms. 6 tops and 3 bottoms is 18 outfits.

-Stick with a color theme- black, white, red or tan, brown orange or ????

Several cruises I have planned my wardrobe around which cardigan I wanted to wear.

-Use small containers for lotions and potions, transferring as necessary. I know that a travel toothpaste will last us 14 uses.

-rethink your beauty routine.

We have now figured out how to unload more. Don't pack formal wear. For us that is another small suitcase. I wear a nice jacket when flying to the port which is now what I will wear on formal night. DW does the same, nice clothes on the flight. We also use laundry on the ship as that cuts down even more. We have enough pictures from Formal Night Pouring of Champaign to last a while. So we have one medium checked luggage (with alcohol in it) and one carry on with meds and money and one change of clothes just in case.

Archived