Advice Regarding SS Mariner Needed

SpongeBob1996

We have booked a very special cruise on Seven Seas Mariner. We have reserved a Seven Seas Suite Aft Suite. After reading some reviews on Cruise Critic regarding sewer gas smells, I have great concerns. The bad reviews all seem to relate to the aft part of the ship and I am considering either changing (upgrading) suites or changing cruise lines.

I would appreciate advice on which suites are better on the Mariner and whether one of the other cruise lines would be a better choice. Due to the importance of the trip, cost isn't an issue.

Thanks!

SpongeBob..... Don't let anyone scare you off! We had a gorgious SS Aft deck Seven on Mariner in April of this year. We NEVER smelled anything nasty, loved this suite ..... We had concerns as our cabin was directly under the Horizens lounge but never heard or smelled anything from there either.

I have an extremely sensitive nose and while I heard these tales of sewer smells they never happened on my sailing. We did on occausion depending on the port get a whiff of nasty coming from the ports but that had nothing to do with Mariner and you would have caught this anywhere outside if only briefly while in some ports.

The SS Aft suites are wonderful, the deck is enormious and if the weather is lovely you will be the envy of the ship. We had a lovely cocktail party (oh Ram, I so miss my Butler) on our deck with yummy treats and a bar set up by our Butler....we loved our deck! Our room attendent brought our seat cushions in and hide them out of sight every evening so they would be dry in the morning.

This suite is wonderful..... You will love it!

SpongeBob - Why did you ask for a comparison of Regent versus Crystal on the Crystal board --- and not on this board? Had you already booked on Regent and were having buyer's regret? Rather than ask for a comparison from people you do not know and who do not know you, ask your TA. When you ask for a comparison, each board (and cruise line) has their own defenders as one should expect? And then when you ask a question on one board, receive fairly pro-Crystal comments, book on Regent!

Both lines have pluses and minuses and each cruise experience is personal. If the suite size and location is the deciding factor, then make your decision on that and that alone.

Personally, the comparisons between or among lines on one or more boards is a waste - for the OP as well as those who honestly answer the query based on their personal experiences.

Regardless, enjoy your special cruise.

SpongeBob - Why did you ask for a comparison of Regent versus Crystal on the Crystal board --- and not on this board? Had you already booked on Regent and were having buyer's regret? Rather than ask for a comparison from people you do not know and who do not know you, ask your TA. When you ask for a comparison, each board (and cruise line) has their own defenders as one should expect? And then when you ask a question on one board, receive fairly pro-Crystal comments, book on Regent!

Both lines have pluses and minuses and each cruise experience is personal. If the suite size and location is the deciding factor, then make your decision on that and that alone.

Personally, the comparisons between or among lines on one or more boards is a waste - for the OP as well as those who honestly answer the query based on their personal experiences.

Regardless, enjoy your special cruise.

Yes, I already booked on Regent and became concerned about all the postings regarding the odors.

Thanks for our advice.

Let me just say that the Seven Seas aft suites on Mariner are the best. Can't get much better--or at least I havent' stayed in or seen one. Better than the Mariner Suite in my opinion. Just great...have a good time and feel good about the booking.

This is a puzzling thread which makes me wonder if there is some background I know nothing about. On the face of it, it is a simple and acceptable query from someone who has booked an aft suite on Mariner, has read or heard about odours in that area of the ship, and wondered if he/she ought to seek a suite further forward or cancel an rebook on Crystal.

CC is an admirable vehicle for that sort of query and it seems churlish to me to deny the poster the opportunity to seek peoples' views, even though he/she is aware they may be biased.

I know this isn't going to sit well with all the Regentites, and will probably be deleted as it's IMO and it's a negative.

We just returned from a basically lovely cruise on Regent Mariner. 17 days, Southern Sojourn. And, yep.....hate to say it, there WAS a funky smell in the stern. It wasn't continual, but for probably a total of 3 days ( out of 17), it was there. We got that odor, stongly in the Veranda/Lido area. I'm basically a Pollyanna, sort of gal, but this pretty well stopped me in my tracks. It then came flooding back to me about comments on such on this board. Who ever mentioned it was right on.........

It didn't last long.........but I was grateful we were midships. Sorry,kids.........

I know this isn't going to sit well with all the Regentites, and will probably be deleted as it's IMO and it's a negative.

We just returned from a basically lovely cruise on Regent Mariner. 17 days, Southern Sojourn. And, yep.....hate to say it, there WAS a funky smell in the stern. It wasn't continual, but for probably a total of 3 days ( out of 17), it was there. We got that odor, stongly in the Veranda/Lido area. I'm basically a Pollyanna, sort of gal, but this pretty well stopped me in my tracks. It then came flooding back to me about comments on such on this board. Who ever mentioned it was right on.........

It didn't last long.........but I was grateful we were midships. Sorry,kids.........

Why should it be deleted? It is an experience which should be made known.

Having said that, I don't recollect any other posts suggesting the gassy smell in the Veranda area. (where is the Lido, incidentally?)

Did you mention it to the powers-that-be?

The lido/veranda area is the deck that the pool is on. The Veranda is the indoor area where breakfast, buffet lunch is served. If you put a search in for this forum and put something to the effect of "sewage odor on Mariner" or "Odor on the Mariner", you'll find it. Posted not long ago..This seems to be an ongoing problem. Although I didn't complain, I'm sure the powers that be must be aware of it. You'd have to be dead not to smell it. It really should be addressed. This has been going on for awhile.

Thank you. I was puzzled by the "Lido" reference but I see now that you are using it to describe the pool area. I hadn't read about sewage gas smell in the breakfast area though I have experienced the smell myself in the aft area of deck 7, though not on my last Mariner cruise.

I thought it had gone but it seems to be recurring intermittently. I wish you had reported it.

I shall be on Mariner again in the spring of next year.

We had a Seven Seas Aft suite on the Mariner TA crossing in March this year. wonderful sunsets all the way across and very nice balcony of course. BUT not well furnished and the couch in need of some repair AND what looked a bit like duct tape holding the bedroom carpet together in one place... and which was sticky underfoot. Not the standard I expect.

Suite design could be better. You enter the bathroom via the closet. Clothes hanging on both sides and it is a little strange. Still, we enjoyed the suite. No noise, no vibrations except when we were docking. (We were on Deck 9). There was a distinct sewer like smell in the hallway for a couple of days at one point. No smell in the suite - and none in the immediate hallway around the suite.

It is my theory, and mine alone, that the recurring sewage smell occurs when people out nonflushable items down the toilet. Even things that could be perhaps flushed at home cause a major obstruction in a marine toilet as it works under an entirely different system than a regular household toilet. And it backs up the whole system, resulting in the smell.

It is my theory, and mine alone, that the recurring sewage smell occurs when people out nonflushable items down the toilet. Even things that could be perhaps flushed at home cause a major obstruction in a marine toilet as it works under an entirely different system than a regular household toilet. And it backs up the whole system, resulting in the smell.
...I believe you could be entirely correct RachelG. With over 60 cruises on many different cruise lines we have run into the odor of sewer gas from time to time...I believe it was quickly corrected on all lines and ships. We have never run into it on Mariner(6 cruises) but have on both Voyager and Navigator....Also, I might add, on Crystal's Serenity during a 2 week North Cape cruise in 2011...Plus many others. We have never known for it to go on for more than 2 or 3 days....I do not believe it should deter you from enjoying a really great ship and in a really lush suite!....:)

Our suite was also an Aft suite (Horizon Suite 8102) when we sailed the Mediterranean in May. We didn't smell anything; although we were worried after reading the posts before we sailed of guests who did. The cruise was so fantastic - don't let the risk discourage you. Service on the Mariner is amazing.

We were on the same cruise as Mudhen - plus the following 10 days too. We had the last suite aft before the aft facing top suites (deck 7) and never noticed a bad smell - on that deck or anywhere else. (not that I am saying Mudhen must therefore be wrong!)

However, whilst it was a great trip we have never had such spotty service on a premium line. What made the trip great was the highly sociable fellow travellers. And there's the dilemma...

~ Crystal offered excellent service on our September cruise; and the nicest (but smallest) rooms. However it was the least sociable / most stuffy line we have experienced.

~ Mariner service was disappointing at times (and the decor is a bit tired) but the crowd it attracts makes up for all shortcomings.

~ Silverseas provided a wonderful experience on our November '11 cruise - service, food, room.

But

~ Oceania offered the best food ever on our 2 Marina cruises last year, the nicest suites, the best service AND a sociable crowd similar to Regent. (But you 'pay as you drink'.)

The OP should stick with their Mariner aft suite, I suggest, if concerns about the smell is the only issue. But be prepared for service lapses. If there are any other doubts though, give Oceania a chance to impress. (Look at the Oceania Suite or if money is really no object go Owners Suite?)

I'm so glad that you didn't have any problems with odors. Maybe it was the way the wind was blowing when we noticed it or some other reason. It could very well be, as Rachel mentioned, someone using a toilet improperly. Regardless of the reason, it might be something that Regent could look into on the next drydock, as we're not the only ones who've mentioned this problem. Glad you had a great cruise (as did we!).

We were on the same cruise as Mudhen also. We never confronted any foul smells at all. We enjoyed the Mariner very much although she clearly needs some sprucing up, starting with the carpeting. Acknowledge that we are probably easy to please, but other than a marathon dinner in Signatures we found the service yo be excellent. Enjoy your cruise.

One thing to consider is the deck you're booked on. Seven Seas suites aft and nearby suites including the Horizon View suites on Deck 7 are directly above the Horizon Lounge. Some people have complained that noise from the Lounge continues well into the night, so if you retire early or are sensitive to noise, you might want to choose a comparable suite higher up. Even though those same suites on Deck 10 are directly below the new Setti Mari restaurant, I don't recall any complaints about them.

A general consideration about most suites on the Mariner is that they have either the original tub, a deep French-style monster the bottom of which is a couple of inches above the marble (= slippery when wet) floor of the bathroom, or the tub has been removed and converted to a nice walk-in shower, which we much prefer. The tubs were a real hazard getting in and out of, and the overhead above the tub was lowered, leaving just over 6' of headroom. We sailed in one with a tub for 43 days back in 2003 before they started converting the tubs to showers; I'm 6'2" and learned to shower while crouching. The Mariner's deck plans indicate the Seven Seas suites aft baths have a tub Port side and a shower Starboard.

Another consideration applicable to standard Mariner suites, which although generous by cruise ship standards, are 55 sq.ft. smaller than standard veranda suites on either of the other two ships (301 vs. 356). Navigator's window suites are the same size as the Mariner's standard suites, all of which have verandas, but the space is all in the suite itself as they don't have a veranda. We find the Mariner standard suites a bit tight, and prefer the veranda suites on Voyager and Navigator. We think that for those who usually book standard suites, the best upgrade value in the fleet, if you can afford it, are the Mariner's Penthouse suites, which we find delightful in both size and location.

Edited by countflorida
spelling and clarifying additions

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone. New member as of today. I have cruises holland America to Caribbean and twice on carnival. Not a big cruiser but have traveled to London many times, Rome,Paris Switzerland and several states. My husband and I are booked on regents mariner in Nov LA to Tahiti. Very excited about that. I have read mostly positive reviews regarding Regent SS. If anyone has taken this cruise or is going to cruise in Nov I would love to hear from you.