Cruise ship back to Mobile - Rumor

GRAMMYTAN

We sailed from Mobile also and I can't believe someone thought the staff was rude!! Maybe it is a case of getting what you ask for?? I am very much in favor of CCL returning to Mobile.

Have to say that I second that sentiment. I did not enjoy cruising from Mobile and a large part of it was the staff.

But we did like the Holiday and we loved the itinerary (especially Progreso)!

Another vote against Mobile. We cruised from there one time, getting on board was OK, getting off was a nightmare. The staff was appalling, the terminal was terrible. Went back to Texas and swore never again.

We always had a pleasant experience getting off of the ship. We usually did a park and cruise deal. We only parked in the parking deck two times out of four times we cruised out of Mobile. Still didn't have any problem getting off of the ship and getting on the interstate to head back home.

I don't really think Mobile NEEDS a ship, regardless of how nice it is to sail out of there. Carnival would just be cannibalizing on a nearby and much larger market. I understand the draw of convenience, but NOLA is only 2 hours away from Mobile...easy drive down I-10. People living in the Midwest, for example, would kill to have multiple ships sailing from a city 144 miles away. I like Mobile, but it makes sense from a logistical/business standpoint to base the ships out of the larger market.

I don't really think Mobile NEEDS a ship, regardless of how nice it is to sail out of there. Carnival would just be cannibalizing on a nearby and much larger market. I understand the draw of convenience, but NOLA is only 2 hours away from Mobile...easy drive down I-10. People living in the Midwest, for example, would kill to have multiple ships sailing from a city 144 miles away. I like Mobile, but it makes sense from a logistical/business standpoint to base the ships out of the larger market.

I love NOLA... heck, we're driving down there next week for 4 days :) But Mobile is a much cheaper port to cruise out of in terms of hotel prior to the cruise, parking, etc. For families on tight budgets, it can make a big difference between a cruise vacation or not.

I understand the draw of convenience, but NOLA is only 2 hours away from Mobile...easy drive down I-10.

Here's the part that you don't realize. It's not as convenient for people like me, who live in Atlanta. Our drive to Mobile is 4 hours and 30 minutes. New Orleans is 7 hours! If I'm going to drive 7 hours to go on a cruise, I'm going to Port Canaveral where I have much nicer, larger, newer ships, and more variety.

People like me is who the port of Mobile would target. People who live EAST of Mobile who want to do a Western Caribbean cruise without having to drive 7 hours.

If the demand is there, it doesn't matter how close ports of embarkation are. Mobile failed NOT because of a lack of demand, but because of internal issues between Carnival and the city of Mobile. I would assume that if Mobile can present an attractive incentive for Carnival to return and make money, they'll take it.

Here's the part that you don't realize. It's not as convenient for people like me, who live in Atlanta. Our drive to Mobile is 4 hours and 30 minutes. New Orleans is 7 hours! If I'm going to drive 7 hours to go on a cruise, I'm going to Port Canaveral where I have much nicer, larger, newer ships, and more variety.

People like me is who the port of Mobile would target. People who live EAST of Mobile who want to do a Western Caribbean cruise without having to drive 7 hours.

If the demand is there, it doesn't matter how close ports of embarkation are. Mobile failed NOT because of a lack of demand, but because of internal issues between Carnival and the city of Mobile. I would assume that if Mobile can present an attractive incentive for Carnival to return and make money, they'll take it.

The point is, you still have options within reasonable driving distance. You can do W. Caribbean from Tampa, NOLA, or other FL ports. Mobile might be a tad more convenient for you, but it's not really needed in the grand scheme of things. I'd be surprised if 2 hours of extra driving time would be a major factor one way or another. The Gulf South market overall is well covered between Galveston (plus soon-to-be Houston), New Orleans, and Tampa. If you live in the major population centers in TX, LA, MS, AL, or GA, chances are one of those ports is an easy drive away...7-8 hours max...if flying is out of the picture. Jacksonville is also a good option for folks in Georgia or S. Carolina.

Mobile is just in a tough position to be a competitive cruise market. NOLA has a lot of advantages over Mobile in terms of transportation options, lodging, and the city itself is a big draw for pre/post cruise layovers. Since Carnival only has a limited amount of ships to go around, it makes sense that they have to be selective on where to base those ships.

Mobile doesn't really NEED a cruise ship. They would LIKE one to justify the expense of paying off the terminal, but they are not missing payments without a ship. I'm sure they would like to spend that $1.5 million a year on something else, but I suspect with the Airbus plant coming online and the container port expansions being finished up, it is not the end of the world for Mobile if they never get a ship again. Meanwhile, the cruise terminal makes a great wedding chapel and party palace, with great views of the water front. Y'all come now, hear? :)

We sailed from Mobile also and I can't believe someone thought the staff was rude!! Maybe it is a case of getting what you ask for?? I am very much in favor of CCL returning to Mobile.

We sailed from Mobile about 5 or 6 times over the years and only once was an employee rude to us.

They accused us of photoshopping the VIP onto our Fun Pass because THEY did not know where to look for the Milestone names.

Back then, all Milestones were listed seperately from Platinum on the second page top right corner.

AT the time we had 37 cruises.....

one rep did not even know what Milestone was....she kept asking why this teenager was getting a WHITE card....

For some reason I assumed Southwest flew there. Makes it less appealing as they don't.

I think Southwest flies into PCola FL and possibly GPort MS. You could catch a bus over, unless you're a traveler, and then that probably wouldn't work for you.

Love Love Love sailing out of Mobile. We always spend the night before in Biloxi (yeah for comped room/meal at the steakhouse from the Grand). Get up, have a nice drive over and on the ship by 11:30.

I'd book a cruise out of Mobile the first day they opened the bookings up.

For some reason I assumed Southwest flew there. Makes it less appealing as they don't.

Mobile's airport is small, served by the regional affiliates of most major airlines. Cruises sailing from Mobile used to attract mostly a "drive to" crowd from neighboring states.

• 1 month later...
The last post on this thread was on December 6, 2012. Has anyone heard anything new about another cruise ship coming to the Port of Mobile?

Unfortunately, I haven't heard anything new about the on-going rumor, but still keep my fingers crossed. :)

I understand the draw of convenience, but NOLA is only 2 hours away from Mobile...

and Ft Lauderdale and Miami are only 30 minutes apart. Not a valid argument. Carnival survived for years with ships in NO and Mobile, gov't issues cost Mobile their ship, not Carnival revenue.

Archived