3 IN A ROOM? – My husband wants to take his mother-in-law on a cruise!

MaisonDeBritts

I don't even want to be 2 to a cabin most times LOL. They are definitely tight quarters in the verandah rooms. We've had 8279 on 2 s class ships, and well, it's still not a huge cabin.

I'd go with the others suggestions, if you can swing it, do 2 inside rooms, or 1 inside 1 outside/verandah. You want to come out of this thing loving eachother :-)

I tried to lay on the bed on both the equinox and the reflection and there's no way I would have gotten any sleep on it. Hard as a rock.

As a mother/mother in law, there is no way I would want to share a cabin with my adult kids....:D I would book myself into a suite and have them far away in an inside room...lol:D
Good thinking! Maybe you will let them sit on your balcony once in a while though, if they are very, very nice to you. :p

I think that most parents of adult children (at least in modern western societies) would feel awkward and uncomfortable at even the thought of sharing the bedroom of a young married couple that way, night after night.

If that was the only way I could go on a cruise, I would rather stay at home.

Good thinking! Maybe you will let them sit on your balcony once in a while though, if they are very, very nice to you. :p

I think that most parents of adult children (at least in modern western societies) would feel awkward and uncomfortable at even the thought of sharing the bedroom of a young married couple that way, night after night.

I am with you on this one.:D

!

I know Mum will be so happy to be on a cruise that she would probably be happy to sleep on the balcony!!! :D

And that's exactly where she would sleep , if I were your husband.:p Can't conceive of doing that for any adult. On a driving tour of the Czech Republic, I made sure MIL had her own room. Had some really close calls, though. I think I would have slept in the car had it not worked out. Your husband is a better man than I am or a bigger something:o

MIL took a cruise and stayed in a cabin with two adult friends and their young grandson, 10 or so. I never wanted to know how that worked out:eek:

A newly wed with a third person in the room. That ain't gonna work unless she likes to watch movies alone or maybe take a tour while you stay onboard.

Edited by BosoxI

I would strongly suggest at least considering the possibility of booking an inside cabin for your mother. It would make the cruise a lot more comfortable and pleasant for all of you.

Not only would it give her a regular bed to sleep in, and the additional bathroom and TV, but it would give you all more closet and drawer space, and most important of all, some privacy.

The three of you could still share the balcony and spend as much time together as you wish.

Maybe she would like to invite a friend along to share a cabin and share the cost, or maybe she would really enjoy having her own space to herself.

Also, if anyone gets sick on a cruise, having that additional room makes a huge difference.

/QUOTE]

I so totally agree with you. Had a similar experience.

In fact someone did get sick on our blended age group trip in one Jr. suite (wasn't even a cabin) and we finally asked if there were any insides available - unfortunately there were none...

Don't older folks also still like to nap during the afternoon?

The cabin might be alright if 3/4 folks of approx the same age group get along very well and stay healthy for just 3-5 days, even 7 to 10 for the adventurous but never for different age groups & as long as 17 days...not in my opinion and experience anyway either!

If the poster decides to go for it then I wish them well and sincerely hope they are still speaking at the end of the cruise...but its 'risky' IMO just to save the cost of an inside cabin..

Have great cruisin' all! :)

/QUOTE]

I'm with you also!

Okay, I have to admit, when I first read this, I agreed with the majority of posters.

However, when I stopped to think of it, my husband and I took my son (then 20), on a European cruise, in one room. Granted, we were not newlyweds, but, functionally, it was not otherwise much different.

To the OP, we looked for the largest room we could afford. We made sure that there was a place for everything, and that we kept the room neat. Each person had a designated "personal space".

My son was young, so fortunately it wasn't a problem for him, but I remember sitting on the bed (it was on the Prinsendam) and it, like most pull out couches, was not comfortable. I like the idea of the inflatable bed. Since you would have the mattress underneath, you could get by with a thin one.

My adult daughter slept on the sofa bed in a Celebrity Suite, and thought it was very comfortable. 3 adults to one bathroom was much more of an issue for us than the beds were. :)

Another nice thing about a CS is that the bedroom is a separate room from the living room/sleeper sofa, so privacy is possible.

Edited by Greensuz

My adult daughter slept on the sofa bed in a Celebrity Suite, and thought it was very comfortable. 3 adults to one bathroom was much more of an issue for us than the beds were. :)

Another nice thing about a CS is that the bedroom is a separate room from the living room/sleeper sofa, so privacy is possible.

however for the cost of a cs suite, you could easily get two balcony cabins and have two bathrooms and privacy The millineum class Cs suites require a walk throught the bedroom to use a bathroom so privacy is still a problem.

I'm watching this thread very closely because I too am acting as a "chaperone" to my wife and her mother on their "girls weekend" cruise on the Constellation in a few weeks. My wife feels more comfortable with me along while traveling and I figured "What the heck?". Why should she be able to take a wonderful X cruise! :)

We're staying in a concierge class room and I'll be sleeping on the pull out coach. I'm not a huge guy (5' 11") and I can sleep just about anywhere so I'm not too worried about it. Plus we've all stayed together in a very small camper several times so it's nothing new.

I do have a question however. Does anyone know if it is possible to buy an unused stateroom once the cruise is already underway? I am worried that we may be more crammed in that we expected and it would be nice to have the option of buying a cheap inside stateroom if necessary.

Edited by Trep586

I'm watching this thread very closely because I too am acting as a "chaperone" to my wife and her mother on their "girls weekend" cruise on the Constellation in a few weeks. My wife feels more comfortable with me along while traveling and I figured "What the heck?". Why should she be able to take a wonderful X cruise! :)

We're staying in a concierge calls room and I'll be sleeping on the pull out coach. I'm not a huge guy (5' 11") and I can sleep just about anywhere so I'm not too worried about it. Plus we've all stayed together in a very small camper several times so it's nothing new.

I do have a question however. Does anyone know if it is possible to buy an unused stateroom once the cruise is already underway? I am worried that we may be more crammed in that we expected and it would be nice to have the option of buying a cheap inside stateroom if necessary.

When on board, you can purchase or upgrade your stateroom if one is available for the regular rate No special discounts. If you go during a popular vacation time chances of getting any cabin is very slim. Perhaps best to consider before your cruise Maybe if you call the cruise line you can get a guarantee inside for a good price before the cruise date.

Many people scoff at inside cabins' date=' but we take them all the time and we are very happy in them.

What if you booked 2 inside cabins? The cost may not be that different from 1 balcony plus a third person.

I think your husband is a gem! Your mom must be one too!

Enjoy, whatever you decide![/quote']

I would not be sleeping with my husband in the state room and having my mother in the same state room. Talk about a mood kill.:D

Edited by Chicago Boy

I would not be sleeping with my husband in the state room and having my mother in the same state room. Talk about a mood kill.:D

Actually, I would think that is exactly what you would be doing -- sleeping. At least, I would hope so!

Hello everyone!!! I'm the OP!!

Well I have to say I'm overwhelmed at how many responses I've had to this post.

I don't know where to start with a response/update.

OK first up... I will address the issue of "newly weds in a room with the MIL"

We will be 52 and 53 at the time of the cruise and will have been together for 8 years... so we won't be like restrained rabbits! :D

I do appreciate that 3 in a room will be a test of our relationship... but knowing the other 2 as well as I do I honestly doubt it will be anything that will have us at each others throats by disembarkment.

My biggest concern is the comfort factor of the sofa bed and I've heard varying reports about that.

I have done some research and talked to the travel agent. She confirmed that family balcony cabins are only available for 5-6 people. She suggested moving to Concierge Class C3 (3 people = AU$7,003.81) or a Sky Suite (3 people = AU$9,491.20)

I think the Sky Suite is a bit out of our price range so I'm disregarding that as an option.

Concierge Class is 20 square feet bigger than our old cabin. How much bigger and noticeable that is remains to be seen.

We had 7049 which was a 2A class deluxe oceanview stateroom with verandah. It had a larger, triangular balcony so it was great.

Today I see that Cabin 8045 or 8046 are in a similar position on the ship (right above our old cabin) so they have the same shape balcony and a bigger cabin. So this might be what we end up going with (maybe). It's a C2 class and is worth AU$7,183.81

I do wonder how much the C1 aft cabins are worth. The Celebrity website comes up with an error and won't let me view them. I've just had a reply from the travel agent. All the C1 AFT cabins are already booked!!!

8046 was available so she's holding it for me until tomorrow (husband doesn't know that yet... ;)). Big decision time!!!!

Thank you to EVERYONE and I will keep you updated!!!!!

Carol

Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

Thanks Chelly!!!

I certainly didn't think I'd be booking another one just weeks after hopping off the first one!

In the process of checking if I have someone to fill in for me at work now... and that no-one else has holidays planned for the same time.

Scary!!! :eek:

... snip...

One would hope the sofa beds are all the same quality throughout the ship!

We're staying in a concierge class room and I'll be sleeping on the pull out coach. I'm not a huge guy (5' 11") and I can sleep just about anywhere so I'm not too worried about it. Plus we've all stayed together in a very small camper several times so it's nothing new.

... snip ...

I'm happy that this post is helping you too... and would be very happy to hear back from you after your cruise!!

Okay, I have to admit, when I first read this, I agreed with the majority of posters.

However, when I stopped to think of it, my husband and I took my son (then 20), on a European cruise, in one room. Granted, we were not newlyweds, but, functionally, it was not otherwise much different.

To the OP, we looked for the largest room we could afford. We made sure that there was a place for everything, and that we kept the room neat. Each person had a designated "personal space".

My son was young, so fortunately it wasn't a problem for him, but I remember sitting on the bed (it was on the Prinsendam) and it, like most pull out couches, was not comfortable. I like the idea of the inflatable bed. Since you would have the mattress underneath, you could get by with a thin one.

Thanks for your input. My Mum and my husband worked together 30 years ago and were the best of friends then. Now they are mother/son-in-law and they both could not be happier. They love each other and respect each other and so that makes my life extremely easy. We ALL get on amazingly well and so I just can't imagine that sharing something as wonderful as this cruise (even in close quarters) will change that.

I might lounge around on the sofa bed for a while on day one to test it out. Mum is unlikely to tell me the truth if she sleeps in it and it's awful.

I'm getting excited all over again about looking forward to another cruise now.

I just have to wait until April 2nd to tell Mum all about it. It's going to be hard to keep the secret until then!!!

Thanks for your input. My Mum and my husband worked together 30 years ago and were the best of friends then. Now they are mother/son-in-law and they both could not be happier. They love each other and respect each other and so that makes my life extremely easy. We ALL get on amazingly well and so I just can't imagine that sharing something as wonderful as this cruise (even in close quarters) will change that.

I might lounge around on the sofa bed for a while on day one to test it out. Mum is unlikely to tell me the truth if she sleeps in it and it's awful.

I'm getting excited all over again about looking forward to another cruise now.

I just have to wait until April 2nd to tell Mum all about it. It's going to be hard to keep the secret until then!!!

Best of luck. I'm sure all three of you will have a great time. :-)