3 IN A ROOM? – My husband wants to take his mother-in-law on a cruise!

MaisonDeBritts

We have just returned from almost 3 weeks on Millennium (our honeymoon). We sailed from Hawaii to Sydney and loved it so much we are thinking of doing something similar next November (same start/end… different ports in between).

My Mum turns 70 in April so my new husband thought it would be nice to take her with us next time! Yes he’s an exceptional husband and she’s not your average mother-in-law!

So my question is… has anyone slept on the sofa beds on Millennium?

We were in cabin 7049 – with a larger triangular balcony – and we’d happily share the same cabin with my Mum, but I won’t do it unless I know she will be comfortable.

I’m thinking we might be better off with a bigger cabin… so she can have a normal bed… but I’m sure that will put it out of our price range.

Has anyone done 3 in a cabin? If so, do you mind sharing your experience?

Thanks!!! :)

There are no bigger cabins with 'normal' beds. All 3rd/4th beds are a sleeper couch or a bunk from wall or ceiling. The closest you might get would be the Family Verandah cabins, but you will be lucky to get it with less than five people. EM

Edited by Essiesmom

We have just returned from almost 3 weeks on Millennium (our honeymoon). We sailed from Hawaii to Sydney and loved it so much we are thinking of doing something similar next November (same start/end… different ports in between).

My Mum turns 70 in April so my new husband thought it would be nice to take her with us next time! Yes he’s an exceptional husband and she’s not your average mother-in-law!

We were in cabin 7049 – with a larger triangular balcony – and we’d happily share the same cabin with my Mum, but I won’t do it unless I know she will be comfortable.

I’m thinking we might be better off with a bigger cabin… so she can have a normal bed… but I’m sure that will put it out of our price range.

Perhaps you can have a roster for the person on the sofa bed? That way you all get a turn.:rolleyes:

Seriously though,you could always pull the mattress off the sofa bed and put iot on the floor which would be much more comfortable.:D

Thanks for the replies!

I was just looking at the Reflection suite on the new ship... oh my God!!!

$23K for 7 days.

The first cabin in the fleet with 2 bedrooms.

A tad over our budget I'm afraid.

The idea of putting the sofa bed mattress on the floor is a good one. I did take the cushions of our sofa in our room but didn't actually pull the bed out to try it. I'm kicking myself now!!

Hopefully someone has tried it.

I know Mum will be so happy to be on a cruise that she would probably be happy to sleep on the balcony!!! :D

Oh my god! MaisonDeBritts :)

Did you and I once have a discussion about a very beautiful tree at Nelson Bay, on another forum??

Yep!!! That's me!!!

My friend has moved house so I haven't been back to see the tree lately.

It was beautiful though!!!

I'd forgotten... just a teensy bit how beautiful that tree is!!! Magnificent is the best word I think.

You are going on Millennium in 17 days??? I am sooooo jealous!!!

I only got off it 2 weeks ago today and I'm homesick already!

Have you been on her before?

It's a great ship (although I've only been on one so it's hard for me to compare fairly)! I thought it was comfortably elegant without the over-the-top opulence of some of the newer ships.

Please say hi to Vince and Kian in the sunset bar for us (they will remember Carol & Bruce that got off in Sydney).

Kian gave me one of the best memories of the cruise. Sailing into Sydney Harbour at sunset was absolutely magical for him and made me see just how beautiful our harbour is!

If you think you can all share one bath room, the bed is not to bad.

We had 4 of us on the Infinity in a regular balcony room. Kids were younger, 6 and 9, and we played musical beds, so that everyone well except DH cause he wouldn't fit in any thing but the the big bed, .... almost everyone either slept in the big bed, sofa bed or Pullman.

Obviously you MIL, nor anyone else over the age of 12 would want the Pullman, but the sofa bed wasn't too bad. It was a fold out over sized chair/love seat. I slept in it just fine, and you can add a matress topper if you need some extra cushioning.

It would be the same at the Millennium, but maybe with an updated sofa bed since that was 2005.

So if you think you can share the close quarters, I'd say it is do-able. The only thing that is tricky is that when that bed is folded out, you have to leave the room just to change your mind. In all seriousness there is very little floor space, but the cabin steward doesn't fold it out till you get back from dinner and it is folded up first thing in the morning.

So you just have to gauge if you can all get along in the tight quarters for 7-10 days.

I'd forgotten... just a teensy bit how beautiful that tree is!!! Magnificent is the best word I think.

You are going on Millennium in 17 days??? I am sooooo jealous!!!

I only got off it 2 weeks ago today and I'm homesick already!

Have you been on her before?

It's a great ship (although I've only been on one so it's hard for me to compare fairly)! I thought it was comfortably elegant without the over-the-top opulence of some of the newer ships.

Please say hi to Vince and Kian in the sunset bar for us (they will remember Carol & Bruce that got off in Sydney).

Kian gave me one of the best memories of the cruise. Sailing into Sydney Harbour at sunset was absolutely magical for him and made me see just how beautiful our harbour is!

I will! And thanks for giving me an extra reason to visit the bar (yay).

We went into Sydney the day after you docked to watch Millie leave. Just missed you lol.

This will be our 1st ever cruise, can't wait. Hubby and 2 teenage kids, all in one room (!!). If there is a sofa bed in there I'll try it out for you.

I'd love to hear about your trip, and any tips and advice you might have (hint hint ;) ) and I am so glad to hear that you liked the ship. Comfortably elegant without opulence sounds perfect!

If you'd like to pm me over in the other forum I can give you my email.

:D

If you think you can all share one bath room, the bed is not to bad...........snip..............

So you just have to gauge if you can all get along in the tight quarters for 7-10 days.

Thanks Suzanne!

I think the one we are looking at is 17 days.

We do all get on really well... and I agree that there's not much room in the cabin even with the sofa bed packed away!

Mum is an early riser so I'm sure she'd have the bed silently packed away and she'd be on the balcony doing puzzles or out walking/swimming before we even woke up.

Then there is the blow up mattress idea.

Hmmm... so much to think about. I don't want to get it wrong or I'll be out of the will... haha :D

I will! And thanks for giving me an extra reason to visit the bar (yay).

We went into Sydney the day after you docked to watch Millie leave. Just missed you lol.

This will be our 1st ever cruise, can't wait. Hubby and 2 teenage kids, all in one room (!!). If there is a sofa bed in there I'll try it out for you.

I'd love to hear about your trip, and any tips and advice you might have (hint hint ;) ) and I am so glad to hear that you liked the ship. Comfortably elegant without opulence sounds perfect!

If you'd like to pm me over in the other forum I can give you my email.

:D

I can't remember the other forum... it was a while ago... and I asked a LOT of people about that tree!

I'll see if we have any method of contact in here... stand by!

I would strongly suggest at least considering the possibility of booking an inside cabin for your mother. It would make the cruise a lot more comfortable and pleasant for all of you.

Not only would it give her a regular bed to sleep in, and the additional bathroom and TV, but it would give you all more closet and drawer space, and most important of all, some privacy.

The three of you could still share the balcony and spend as much time together as you wish.

Maybe she would like to invite a friend along to share a cabin and share the cost, or maybe she would really enjoy having her own space to herself.

Also, if anyone gets sick on a cruise, having that additional room makes a huge difference.

We have thought about sharing a state room with a friend but decided against it for reasons of privacy and comfort. Our friend opted for an inside state room which was fine since he spent most of his time with us. Just a thought. Enjoy your cruise and happy holidays. :)

Just spent a week sleeping on the sofa bed on the Summit and I think sleeping on a box of rocks would have been more comfortable - I kid you not - it was awful. Have not tried it on Millie in quite awhile so can't speak to the condition of those mattresses - and perhaps we just had a bad one. I asked for an egg crate foam mattress topper and that helped make it tolerable - but just. If you must share a room, I would suggest you at least upgrade to Concierge Class. As the rooms are larger on M class, I believe they have a larger sofa bed than on the regular balcony rooms, and the extra bit of space helps a little. That might help a bit as the bed was quite narrow. If there is any chance you can grab an FV last minute, that would be a great option as well, and usually cheaper than a Sky Suite (which of course would be the better option if one can afford it). I would also have a back-up plan for the two girls to sleep on the bed and send DH to the sofa bed. My 61 year old body was aching like crazy by Day 3 from sleeping on that bed (and I am not stricken with serious arthritis or the like), so I can imagine someone older might have even more trouble. Good luck and enjoy your cruise!

That's a great idea too! We could just put it against the wall on the balcony of a day time. The balcony in 7049 has one really long wall so it would fit!!!
We have been on a lot of cruises in a lot of different cabins and believe me there just isn't room to put a blow up mattress on the floor, the pull out sofas are only comfortable for a child. I hate to be a downer and we travelled a lot with my elderly Aunt in a motor home and it worked but I truly believe all 3 of you would be miserable in a standard cabin and on Celebrity the CC and Aqua cabins do not have more space.Have you considered a balcony cabin with an inside across the hall? You have time to try to find a solution.I have a DH like yours that loved and cared for my elderly Mom and Aunt.Cherish him,good luck.:D