Long Splendor Review 12/9-12/16 engine issue Honeymoon cruise

SandS204ever

Little about us, I am 26, the wife is 46, both married before. Both cruised with RC about 15 years ago, and I about 8 years ago with Carnival. First vacation in 5 years without my 8 year old, DW older kids our either of our parents tagging along.

I am writing this while at work so I will post it up in chunks as I get them done :D

If you have any questions please feel free to ask I feel like I had a good handle with everything going on, on this ship (spent months reading as much as I could here).

Day 1 – Sunday

We decided to fly out of Portland, OR on Sunday to save a hotel night and get a cheaper flight into Long Beach. So at 3am the alarm went off. PDX is a great airport dropped off at 5am and eating breakfast by 5:15am. Flight into Long Beach went smooth and on time. We went with Jet Blue for the first time and as a big guy it was nice, they do give extra leg room. (LGB is kinda a hole in the wall airport from what we could see of it). Taxi’s were waiting flat fee of $30 to the Carnival terminal. We arrived at the terminal about 10am and proceeded to check in outside the dome, picking up our Zone 1 boarding cards. There was a bunch of Christmas stuff set up next door that we walked through for a while then found a spot in the shade to wait till about Noon when we started our way on.

Embarkation went easy, we had a single carryon bag (other bag was given to porter at curb side) that had a change of clothes and our 2 bottles of wine and a few 20oz bottles of soda and a couple Monster Energy Drinks. From when we stood up from our bench to sitting on Lido, maybe 15min. Grabbed a bucket of Fosters and some food and sat back and started our vacation/honeymoon. Before sail away our 8 year old called to say Grandma had the lido webcam up so we went and stood near the pool so she could see us onboard (she loved this). About 2 we were able to dump our carryon bag in our room and we decided to walk the ship front to back on all levels so we could find our way around, I would suggest this to everyone, we had no issues at all the rest of the trip and knew where everything was on the first night.

Muster drill was a PITA but was over before sail away. Found the rest of the Cruise Critic gang on the aft lido area and enjoyed a nice sunset as we pulled away. We proceeded to our room to see if our bags had been dropped off and found them on a cart near the elevators, grabbed them and went to change for our evening in the Steak House. Dinner at 6:30 in the Steak House was not busy at all, got a nice window table. Food was AMAZING, we visit places like Apple Bees and Outback quite a bit at home, and this meal blew those out of the water. Dinner last till about 9 (we were in no hurry and enjoyed our evening), the free bottle of wine was very good.

Went back to the cabin to change before going to the Welcome show, but never made it back out, early night for us.

Day 2 – Monday – Sea Day

The wife and I both woke up about 8am with a very sore back, the beds are the hardest beds we have ever slept on (and we vacation 2-3 times a year as well as tent camping), and the pillows were not much better.

We walked through lido but nothing looked good so went to find MDR breakfast, but come to find out Splendor now has the Punchliner Brunch and did not open till 9am (seriously no breakfast in the MDR till 9am). Anyways got in line and started talking to a very nice couple that we ended up sitting with for that meal (and ran into around the ship the rest of the week). Our food was brought out right as the comic started his 12min gig, so there it sat (found out the waiters were not supposed to pass out food while the comic was talking), and got nice and cold, only to find out all 4 orders were wrong … how can you screw up a bacon and cheese omelet? Breakfast was interrupted by Malcom (our CD) saying we had a change in plans due to technical issues (later found out it was engine issues) and would be adding an extra sea day tomorrow followed by 2 PV Days and 1 very short Cabo day.

After breakfast we ducked into the main theater to hear a little more about what was going on, Malcom explained all excursions would be moved around and we would get a letter in our room (we had a dolphin swim planned in Cabo), so we figured we would just wait and see what happened. Grabbed our suits and spent the rest of the day in the hot tub (felt like bath water not the 101 degree we are used to in our tub at home). Also grabbed a Bottomless Bubbles sticker for myself while up on Lido.

Went to our first dinner in the MDR and sat next to another great couple. We had anytime dinning and this evening we showed up about 5:45 (first elegant night) and had about a 10 min wait in line. However food was not that great, I did try alligator (taste like chicken lol). The Flat Iron was the worst steak I have ever eaten (gave it a couple more tries at different dinners it never improved). Wife fell in love with the Warm Chocolate Melting Cake.

After dinner it was back to our cabin for another early evening (we are on vacation after all lol).

Hate to hear the beds were so hard. We are going on the Splendor in June and have never had issues with Carnivals beds. I sleep on a tem purpedic bed at home so now not looking forward to that. I have felt that the hot tubs were so cool that I have been avoiding them. I have our hot tub set at 104 at home and think that is kind of cool. My bath water exceeds that! Wonder if it is because someone complained?

I hope our food is better when we go. It was really good on our b2b this Oct.

Thanks for writing this review.

Day 2 – Monday – Sea Day

The wife and I both woke up about 8am with a very sore back, the beds are the hardest beds we have ever slept on (and we vacation 2-3 times a year as well as tent camping), and the pillows were not much better.

We walked through lido but nothing looked good so went to find MDR breakfast, but come to find out Splendor now has the Punchliner Brunch and did not open till 9am (seriously no breakfast in the MDR till 9am). Anyways got in line and started talking to a very nice couple that we ended up sitting with for that meal (and ran into around the ship the rest of the week). Our food was brought out right as the comic started his 12min gig, so there it sat (found out the waiters were not supposed to pass out food while the comic was talking), and got nice and cold, only to find out all 4 orders were wrong … how can you screw up a bacon and cheese omelet? Breakfast was interrupted by Malcom (our CD) saying we had a change in plans due to technical issues (later found out it was engine issues) and would be adding an extra sea day tomorrow followed by 2 PV Days and 1 very short Cabo day.

After breakfast we ducked into the main theater to hear a little more about what was going on, Malcom explained all excursions would be moved around and we would get a letter in our room (we had a dolphin swim planned in Cabo), so we figured we would just wait and see what happened. Grabbed our suits and spent the rest of the day in the hot tub (felt like bath water not the 101 degree we are used to in our tub at home). Also grabbed a Bottomless Bubbles sticker for myself while up on Lido.

Went to our first dinner in the MDR and sat next to another great couple. We had anytime dinning and this evening we showed up about 5:45 (first elegant night) and had about a 10 min wait in line. However food was not that great, I did try alligator (taste like chicken lol). The Flat Iron was the worst steak I have ever eaten (gave it a couple more tries at different dinners it never improved). Wife fell in love with the Warm Chocolate Melting Cake.

After dinner it was back to our cabin for another early evening (we are on vacation after all lol).

We have been on the Splendor 5 times and never had a hard bed. We find that Carnival and rccl have very comfortable beds. Princess has very hard beds.

Day 2 – Monday – Sea Day

I agree the mattresses were not that comfortable. I was a single occupant in 6203, so I had my steward switch the mattress to the other bed. That was marginally better. We may have seen each other at YTD - I was at table 220/221 mostly with our waitress being Jennifer.

(Feeling a bit flu-ish after the cruise :( - I'll blame that on the weather here in LA this week). Take care.

My first cruise on the Splendor years ago our bed was fantastic! The last 3 times I swear the floor is softer! Had the same problem on all their ships the last couple years :( I wish they would go back to the good mattresses!!!!

Hate soft mattresses....nice hard beds are the best. Carnival does do their bedding right.

Thanks for your review, can't wait to read the rest! I agree about the beds, the last time I cruised on Carnival it seemed like the quality of the beds went down. I asked the cabin steward about it and he told me they were changing the brand of beds used. I hope I had a fluke bad one, but after seeing others comments on here, I think it's a trend of the future. I miss the beds, I used to have on Carnival!

Rumour has it that beds on ships with Serenity, may be phased out as more and more people are preferring to spend the nights under the stars in the clam shells and on the loungers.

This policy has it's advantages as the inebriated sleepers can often get a shower whilst they sleep.

Thanks for the review :)

Loved meeting you two, hope we can cruise with you again sometime. Did you get to do your Dolphin swim? We were to do the one in Cabo also, but changed to the secound day in PV. We loved it, had a blast. We slept fine, but it might have been the booze.....lol.

Enjoying your review. :D I don't think I got to meet you at the meet and greet though. So sad the cruise is already over although we really enjoyed the two days in PV versus the two they normally give you in Cabo.

No dont think we ended up meeting you at the M&G that piano bar was packed lol. We enjoyed the 2 days in PV as well, just not hauling ass to get back from cabo and the rough seas

Loved meeting you two, hope we can cruise with you again sometime. Did you get to do your Dolphin swim? We were to do the one in Cabo also, but changed to the secound day in PV. We loved it, had a blast. We slept fine, but it might have been the booze.....lol.

Also had a great time hanging with you and hope to see you again on another cruise. I always sleep good, its the pain when I wake up :) I could sleep through anything. Sherry not so much.

Forgot to add that while finding our way around on Day 1 I had the wife go window shopping while I went into the Formalities shop and set up a special delivery every evening. Had a single rose delivered to the cabin at 8pm. So everynight while out to dinner someone would bring the rose and put it on her pillow. (Cost about $35 for all 7 nights, plus tip for the wonderful gal who helped set it up).

First night I was the best husband ever, second night even more so, by the third night she figured it out that she would get one every evening. Non the less she loved going back to the room every evening to find it.

Forgot to add that while finding our way around on Day 1 I had the wife go window shopping while I went into the Formalities shop and set up a special delivery every evening. Had a single rose delivered to the cabin at 8pm. So everynight while out to dinner someone would bring the rose and put it on her pillow. (Cost about $35 for all 7 nights, plus tip for the wonderful gal who helped set it up).

First night I was the best husband ever, second night even more so, by the third night she figured it out that she would get one every evening. Non the less she loved going back to the room every evening to find it.

What a romantic idea!

What a romantic idea!

She thought so as well :D worked to my favor a few times lol. I felt bad for the other husbands and boyfriends as my wife liked to tell everyone about it that we visited with. There were a few dirty looks shot at the others sig others lol. As the guys would say "How did you know about that" or "I had no idea I could do that" or something along those lines.

My wife has a big collection of dried roses from the significant events that I got flowers for, so another 7 added.

She thought so as well :D worked to my favor a few times lol. I felt bad for the other husbands and boyfriends as my wife liked to tell everyone about it that we visited with. There were a few dirty looks shot at the others sig others lol. As the guys would say "How did you know about that" or "I had no idea I could do that" or something along those lines.

My wife has a big collection of dried roses from the significant events that I got flowers for, so another 7 added.

You sound like a nice guy! Congratulations on your marriage :) My husband and I are celebrating our 21st wedding anniversary on the Splendor next month and he has been known to make all of the other guys look bad by surprising me with flowers, running my bath, notes on the mirror, etc. I, of course, reciprocate too, and we are more in love than ever!

Day 3 – Tuesday – Revised Sea Day

Woke up about 8am again, got up and about and decided to have breakfast at the Lido, grabbed a few items, some bacon (after asking for more 3 times I ended up with 4 pieces lol), omelet and cereal. Enjoyed watching the waves go by as we had our buffet grade food. After breakfast we made our way down to the excursion desk to ask about our plans for the Dolphin Swim. The line was long and took about an hour to get to talk to someone. He was very nice, told us at this time they had not yet confirmed anything for Cabo since we would be in port on a different day all together and trying to fit 2 days worth of excursions into one very short day. We decided at this point to change up and do our swim in PV (it was the only thing we wanted to do on the entire trip). Come to find out he could not cancel our Cabo swim without our tickets …. So we ran up to the room only to have to stand in line AGAIN for an hour. Everything got worked out and we were happy (we went with the mind set to not let anything ruin our trip).

Grabbed out towels and went in search of some sun, found kids around every pool and ended up in the Serenity area. Very nice loungers, however on the Splendor the mini golf is right above the serenity area, so while no kids were sitting next to you, you could hear screaming and crying all afternoon (very disappointed). Stayed there for a few hours got a little burn while reading and playing dice games, then hit the water slide (had to for the 8 year old you know), it was a fun slide. Next we headed down to the cabin for a little honeymoon time before dinner.

We decided to do Lido for dinner as well this evening since we were not impressed with the MDR at all. We grabbed a few things from the buffet and walked away with our plates still almost full. Ended up grabbing pizza (could always count on good pizza, it was all made to order so it took a few min to get, but it was warm and tasted like pizza). We ended up at the family friendly comedy show, the comedian was funny, but family friendly should not mean everyone bring your crying kids with you. After the first show we decided we did not want to wait for the next and ended up in the gift shop ….. for an hour (my wife likes to shop). I think this night we also grabbed a few min of the show that was on in the main theater, only stayed for a little while as it was not very entertaining in our opinion.

Again not a very late evening as we were excited for our first day off the ship in PV with our Dolphin Swim.

Earlier in the day I had pulled out our Champaign that we brought on, only to find that it had an actual cork and not a pop top like the cheap stuff we were used to (had two bottles that were wedding gifts that we brought on). I had left a note for our room guy asking for a corkscrew along with a $5 bill. We had come back to find a corkscrew and a plate of chocolate covered strawberries. When I asked him where the strawberries came from he responded with “Mr. Scott I have no idea what you’re talking about”. Of course he had a big grin on his face.

Working on Day 4 now :)

Rumour has it that beds on ships with Serenity, may be phased out as more and more people are preferring to spend the nights under the stars in the clam shells and on the loungers.

This policy has it's advantages as the inebriated sleepers can often get a shower whilst they sleep.

Thanks for the review :)

Yes. But puts a bit of a damper on the O2 snugglebunnies looking for a clamshell to nuzzle.;)

SandS204ever, thanks for sharing your cruise, both bruise and blooms, with us.

Archived