Viking River Cruise - Payment Policy

milling73

Today is April 15, 2017 and I am trying to book three (3) cabins with Viking River Cruises for the Rhine Getaway from 16-23 Dec 2017. We have been on two previous Viking cruises (Nurnberg to Budapest 2013 and the Russian Czars trip from St Petersburg, Russia to Moscow 2016) and both cruises were booked within 2-3 months of travel. We are now trying to book three cabins for three couples for a cruise that is eight (8) months away and they are demanding full payment by May 23, 2017, nearly seven (7) months before the cruise. I pushed back and said that we would pay the $1,000 deposit immediately and we would like to pay in full no earlier than 90 days before our sailing date. The representative refused, so I asked if his manager could authorize it and he said no, that it was a Viking policy. It is a real shame that a company as good as Viking will shoot themselves in the foot by demanding full payment seven months in advance of a cruise. I can only guess that by holding their clients money for that long is partially what enables them to grow their fleet so fast. I would ask/hope that they would reconsider their policy and allow full payment at 90 days out, otherwise, they are losing lots of business and damaging their reputation.:(

Book it with another line, you'll be happier in the long run :)

AMA

Uniworld

Avalon

Scenic

Tauck

All excellent companies who want final payment 90 to 120 prior to sailing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you very much! I've already started researching other cruise lines, but in the meantime, I wrote an email to the CEO of Viking, along with several of his executive staff and I got a phone call within an hour. They asked me to call the Sales Dept Director on Monday to resolve the issue, so we'll see what happens. After 28 years in the military, I'm not going to give in without a fight. We really enjoyed Viking, but just disagree with their payment terms. Thanks again!

Book it with another line, you'll be happier in the long run :)

AMA

Uniworld

Avalon

Scenic

Tauck

All excellent companies who want final payment 90 to 120 prior to sailing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree with your comment, but I also subscribe to the idea that you can't fix a problem if you don't know it exists, which is why I wrote the CEO of Viking and several members of his executive staff to inquire as to the rationale and to request an exception since we're going to Hawaii for 2 1/2 weeks in June and Viking wants full payment for a December cruise by the end of May. After 28 years of military service and four combat deployments, I've learned not to give up so easily and throw in the towel just because of a "policy". All you have to do is look at the United Airlines situation last week to see how outdated policies can cost you lots of business. If only someone had written the United CEO to ask about their involuntary removal policies, it might have saved them $250,000,000 in market value and a multi-million dollar lawsuit. ;)

Don't think Viking is losing lots of business due to its payment policy as its ships are always full.

... I'm not going to give in without a fight. We really enjoyed Viking, but just disagree with their payment terms. Thanks again!
2 of my 20 some river cruises were on Viking, and I enjoyed both trips. Both of these cruises were on older boats on rivers without a lot of service (Dneipr and Elbe [during the interval after Peter Deilmann ceased service and before CroisEurope, GCCL, etc started there]) that I had booked as last minute deals, so no early payment issue. While I did enjoy Viking, I have found many other lines to be just as good or better. While I have been told that Viking will, on occasion, give in on their payment demands, IMO why fight if there is as good or better with no fight required. I won't say that I will never sail Viking again (I'm always willing to consider a great deal), but their payment policy precludes me considering them as a first place to look.

Our issue with Viking was not the payment policy, more the feeling of being herded like cattle everywhere. We also did not like the one-seating-for-all dinner It became a made rush/push for some to get the table/server they wanted.

Viking does give some leeway in their payment policy, but you have to ask "push" for it. We booked the Mekong cruise for Aug 2018, in late 2016. We were granted an extension of the final payment. But it took us several pricing inquiries, with different Viking reps and declining to confirm booking, until Viking granted us the extension. Apparently some Viking agents have more authority for leeway terms than others.

We truly enjoy Viking tours, but to us there is simply no reason we should pay 20 months in advance for a trip that is the price of a small car. Until we take the trip, we have cost Viking nothing. And has been noted Viking boats usually sail full, so it isn't like a cancelled cabin 90 - 180 days out, would go empty.

Yes we can get refunds through trip insurance or Viking's own policy, but all of that is a hassle, and the bottom line is there is no justifiable reason for that type of "pay in advance" policy. In all of our cruises with Viking we have received extended final payment terms, by politely refusing to book until we get it.

I believe that Travel Agents [at least those who book a lot with Viking] can get final payment moved up closer to sail date. My TA was able to do this very easily on Viking Ocean.

Talking of which...I am looking at booking my 3rd Viking Cruise and was wondering if there is any benefit to booking with a TA rather than just dealing directly with Viking?

Talking of which...I am looking at booking my 3rd Viking Cruise and was wondering if there is any benefit to booking with a TA rather than just dealing directly with Viking?

Yes...my TA gives a 15% discount off the Viking price!!

My TA also provide a similar incentive. It's is based on the base price (not including Air or Transfers). They really don't discount the price of the cruise as that would be against their contract with the cruiseline. You actually are getting a share of their commission, bottom line is the same. Viking might give you $100 as a repeat cruiser vs $1500 + from my TA. Hummmmm ;)

My TA also provide a similar incentive. It's is based on the base price (not including Air or Transfers). They really don't discount the price of the cruise as that would be against their contract with the cruiseline. You actually are getting a share of their commission, bottom line is the same. Viking might give you $100 as a repeat cruiser vs $1500 + from my TA. Hummmmm ;)

I think the TA can get you the cruise line discounts as well as their commission rebate. On my Viking Ocean cruise I'm getting the $100 pp referral discount plus 15% off the resulting base price.

I think the TA can get you the cruise line discounts as well as their commission rebate. On my Viking Ocean cruise I'm getting the $100 pp referral discount plus 15% off the resulting base price.

Oh I agree, why just get the $100 Viking will offer (or whatever they offer) when you can go to your favorite Luxury Travel provider and get the cruiseline incentive PLUS TA kick back! 😊

One of the things that has me confused is how the final payment dates that people are reporting differ from what the Viking website says. At https://www.vikingcruisescanada.com/terms-conditions/index.html I found the following (it is the first part only of the payment policy info):

"Payment Policy

A deposit for cruise/land of $500 per person is required to secure a confirmed reservation. When more than one cruise is booked, deposit and payment policies apply per cruise. The final balance is due no later than 90 days prior to sailing but special promotions may require an earlier payment. (Exceptions to this Payment Policy apply for Viking’s World Cruise. Contact your travel agent or Viking for details.)".

This seems to make it pretty clear that their policy is 90 days. So, it is odd that so many have "special promotions" that result in a different arrangement - perhaps Viking interprets "special promotions" very broadly so that pretty much everything has an earlier date.

It certainly is to Viking's advantage to have us pay early as the amount of interest they can earn on so many paying so early must be an important source of revenue for them.

Edited by Carnevale
Typos

One of the things that has me confused is how the final payment dates that people are reporting differ from what the Viking website says. At https://www.vikingcruisescanada.com/terms-conditions/index.html I found the following (it is the first part only of the payment policy info):

"Payment Policy

A deposit for cruise/land of $500 per person is required to secure a confirmed reservation. When more than one cruise is booked, deposit and payment policies apply per cruise. The final balance is due no later than 90 days prior to sailing but special promotions may require an earlier payment. (Exceptions to this Payment Policy apply for Viking’s World Cruise. Contact your travel agent or Viking for details.)".

This seems to make it pretty clear that their policy is 90 days. So, it is odd that so many have "special promotions" that result in a different arrangement - perhaps Viking interprets "special promotions" very broadly so that pretty much everything has an earlier date.

It certainly is to Viking's advantage to have us pay early as the amount of interest they can earn on so many paying so early must be an important source of revenue for them.

And there is the sneaky part! Every price is the Special 2 for 1 deal and those special require payment in full nearly immediately and do not follow the terms as quoted in the Contract of Carriage or Passenger Ticket.

And there is the sneaky part! Every price is the Special 2 for 1 deal and those special require payment in full nearly immediately and do not follow the terms as quoted in the Contract of Carriage or Passenger Ticket.
YEP! I have in the past sailed with Viking but their absolutely fake 2for1 pricing (this month only until next month's ad arrives [and it will]). Viking USA is based in California which has rather explicit laws forbidding this fake pricing crap, but somehow they keep getting away with it.

Viking "Official": care to comment??

An actual comment please, not "write us at 'Viking Cares'". If Viking cared they wouldn't blow us off that way.

TravelerThom,

that is interesting about the dated 2for1 pricing. Currently it expires on 30 April. You could take a screenshot and see what it says on the 1st of May. From what I recall I have never seen the 2for1 on the British version of the Viking river cruises website. When this payment subject was last discussed in much detail here on CC I compared the terms and conditions of a North-American and a British booking. They are quite different from another.

This payment police for me is the main reason I would not book with Viking. I have an innate scepticism of a market leader in any field, especially those that have become this recently due to rapid expansion. I just cannot help it.

notamermaid

In general, companies and businesses that require payment in full far in advance of services being rendered are having cash flow problems and/or are over extended.

Roz

Viking's early payment policy certainly prevents people from just reserving and then cancelling. The "interest earned" is microscopic, but they are certainly spending the funds on building ships. Their ships do fill up fast, though.

I checked with one large agency on a Viking river cruise with air, that they were advertising in a local ad, and the price they quoted me was actually higher than the price on the Viking website. When I questioned the price, they really didn't offer an explanation other than many travelers liked the convenience of a travel agency arranging all details. But once we book with Viking pretty much all is arranged anyway.

Maybe working with a specific agent long-term does provide discounts, but I have been able to negotiate terms and even pricing, with Viking on my own. And as we travel fairly frequently it just seems easier to make my own reservations / flights / and travel plans for extensions, rather than trying to reach an agent with a question or issue on my booking, or not liking their selection or prices.

I checked with one large agency on a Viking river cruise with air, that they were advertising in a local ad, and the price they quoted me was actually higher than the price on the Viking website. When I questioned the price, they really didn't offer an explanation other than many travelers liked the convenience of a travel agency arranging all details. But once we book with Viking pretty much all is arranged anyway.

Maybe working with a specific agent long-term does provide discounts, but I have been able to negotiate terms and even pricing, with Viking on my own. And as we travel fairly frequently it just seems easier to make my own reservations / flights / and travel plans for extensions, rather than trying to reach an agent with a question or issue on my booking, or not liking their selection or prices.

That is a bad Travel Agency and you should run away from them! What you want is either a Travel Agent who has person experience on river cruises, or an agency that does a lot of business with river cruise lines and therefore has the best contacts to get you good deals and have rules bent in your favor [or preferably both!]. No one should ever pay more to use a TA!

Here is a new article just published on Cruise Critic on the topic:

From The Inside: Does Travel Agent Commission Affect My Cruise Price?

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7749

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

• 1 year later...

Trying to navigate through all the River Cruising tips. I currently am interested in the Paris to Zurich Viking River Cruise for July 2019. I was shocked that there was no payment plan! I cannot pay for this a year in advance. So what are my options? I have looked at travel agents but they don’t advertise that cruise. One idea was that I save (set up my own payment plan) and hope that someone cancels? Does that ever happen?

Trying to navigate through all the River Cruising tips. I currently am interested in the Paris to Zurich Viking River Cruise for July 2019. I was shocked that there was no payment plan! I cannot pay for this a year in advance. So what are my options? I have looked at travel agents but they don’t advertise that cruise. One idea was that I save (set up my own payment plan) and hope that someone cancels? Does that ever happen?

Your best option is to book with a different company. Try Avalon, Uniworld or AMA.

Vikings requirement for immediate payment is ridiculous. JMHO