Embarking in Whittier

emeltee

I'm cruising the Sapphire Princess next July.

The ship departs at 8:30.

I was thinking of doing a PWS cruise that comes back around 5:30.

As a first-time cruiser, is this recommended? Should I try to board the ship earlier? Would I be missing out anything if I board late?

The next day we're scenic cruising Hubbard Glacier from 3-8pm.

You should be OK. Check-in will close at probably 7pm and if you're late, you won't be allowed to board. You'll need to get to the next port on your own. If you check your Personalizer, it'll give the check-in times. Make sure you arrive for check-in well before the check-in time ends. For instance, on my Crown cruise in February, check-in is between 1-4pm with sailaway at 5pm. I should really arrive no later than 3:30pm. The ship must submit a manifest to Homeland Security at least 60 minutes before sailing. That's why you must arrive early and make sure you don't miss the check-in time.

You should be OK. Check-in will close at probably 7pm and if you're late, you won't be allowed to board. You'll need to get to the next port on your own. If you check your Personalizer, it'll give the check-in times. Make sure you arrive for check-in well before the check-in time ends. For instance, on my Crown cruise in February, check-in is between 1-4pm with sailaway at 5pm. I should really arrive no later than 3:30pm. The ship must submit a manifest to Homeland Security at least 60 minutes before sailing. That's why you must arrive early and make sure you don't miss the check-in time.

Thanks for the reply.

Check-in ends at 7:30. From what I've read, the PWS cruise dock is very close to the Princess dock.

How long is the whole embarkation procedure? Say we arrive at the ship at 6 - what time would we be on-board in in our cabin?

We are booked for early seating dinner (6pm.) I'm guessing we'd have to do the buffet this first evening?

Depending on the time of your PWS cruise, you should be able to check-in & get on the ship around 12:00 noon. You can then leave your carry-ons in your cabin, have lunch then get off the ship to do your PWS cruise. If you wait to embark @ 6:00, there might be a long line because people that did land cruisetour prior to embarkation just got off the train.First nite dinner on the Coral didn't matter what time your seating was because of the late time the trains arrive in Whittier.

Have done this a couple times. NWS104 has the best answer, there were no long lines as people are arriving all during the day by train and bus, etc. as opposed to all at once.

The first pic is where your tour will leave out of. The second pic is where the train leaves you off in front of the check in pavilion. Both pics are shot from our balcony cabin. Whittier is very small.

DSCF0039.jpg.a60e11645fbbd156c08d98f369f0fece.jpg

DSCF0044.jpg.4f67516a15272c7bcbcc19dbaaa87abb.jpg

Depending on the time of your PWS cruise, you should be able to check-in & get on the ship around 12:00 noon. You can then leave your carry-ons in your cabin, have lunch then get off the ship to do your PWS cruise. If you wait to embark @ 6:00, there might be a long line because people that did land cruisetour prior to embarkation just got off the train.First nite dinner on the Coral didn't matter what time your seating was because of the late time the trains arrive in Whittier.

Unfortunately, this won't work as check-in doesn't start til 12:30 and the cruises that I'm considering either start anywhere from 12:15 to 12:45.

Have done this a couple times. NWS104 has the best answer, there were no long lines as people are arriving all during the day by train and bus, etc. as opposed to all at once.

The first pic is where your tour will leave out of. The second pic is where the train leaves you off in front of the check in pavilion. Both pics are shot from our balcony cabin. Whittier is very small.

Thanks for the pictures. Very close! Did you take a PWS cruise prior to your cruise?

Definitely do that, take the 6 hour tour that goes through Esther passage. It was fantastic, lots of glaciers up close, lots of animal life. You will miss NOTHING on board. There is nothing to do in Whittier and the train from the people who take the land tour doesn't arrive until 7 anyway. The PWS tours are just a couple hundred yards from the Princess dock. Have a wonderful trip!

Definitely do that, take the 6 hour tour that goes through Esther passage. It was fantastic, lots of glaciers up close, lots of animal life. You will miss NOTHING on board. There is nothing to do in Whittier and the train from the people who take the land tour doesn't arrive until 7 anyway. The PWS tours are just a couple hundred yards from the Princess dock. Have a wonderful trip!

Okay, you all have convinced me - we'll do a tour before the embarking on our ship. Hopefully the coupon fares aren't sold out for our date.

Does anyone know how far in advance do you have to book to get a coupon fare?

Just wondering - how do you know that the land tour doesn't get in til 7? Is there a schedule of the various arrivals into Whittier (just so I can prepare myself for a long line.) I looked a the railroad website, and if I'm not mistaken, the train gets into Whittier from Anchorage around noon.

Are the land tour pax coming via buses?

The Princess land passengers are on Princess's own trains(chartered),on their own schedule. Although your docs say check-in starts @12:30, you can check-in earlier depending on staffing, but you may not be able to board the ship right away but at least you'll be checked-in & have your room card to avoid the lines later in the day checking-in.When you finish your tour, you should then be able to board the ship avoiding the crowds.

The Princess land passengers are on Princess's own trains(chartered),on their own schedule. Although your docs say check-in starts @12:30, you can check-in earlier depending on staffing, but you may not be able to board the ship right away but at least you'll be checked-in & have your room card to avoid the lines later in the day checking-in.When you finish your tour, you should then be able to board the ship avoiding the crowds.

I agree with that advice. If time allows, drop off your luggage around 11:30, check-in (if it's open), get your cruise card, take the obligatory cruise card picture, then walk right back off the ship. You won't miss much of anything on that day other than chaos, watching the newbies frantically trying to figure things out, a packed laundry room, a hectic Horizon Court and a quick introduction from your cabin steward (which he will save for later when you arrive).

I agree with that advice. If time allows, drop off your luggage around 11:30, check-in (if it's open), get your cruise card, take the obligatory cruise card picture, then walk right back off the ship. You won't miss much of anything on that day other than chaos, watching the newbies frantically trying to figure things out, a packed laundry room, a hectic Horizon Court and a quick introduction from your cabin steward (which he will save for later when you arrive).

Great! Thanks for the advice. I'll hope things run this smoothly, but I'll be mentally prepared just in case things don't work out.

This newbie will be trying to figure things out the next day, I suppose. :)

Lots of people do laundry on the day of departure? Good to know since we'll have to do laundry at some point during our cruise.

...Lots of people do laundry on the day of departure? Good to know since we'll have to do laundry at some point during our cruise.

YES! Since a lot of people will have done pre-cruise land stays, there's a good chance that the laundry rooms will be packed on the evening of the first day and the next day. If you want to do laundry, do it after 8pm or early on those days. Bring quarters - the machines are often out of them.

I agree with that advice. If time allows, drop off your luggage around 11:30, check-in (if it's open), get your cruise card, take the obligatory cruise card picture, then walk right back off the ship.

Would have time to drop off luggage, possibly to check in. Would probably not have time to board the ship (which is when the cruise card picture is taken) before their tour.

Would have time to drop off luggage, possibly to check in. Would probably not have time to board the ship (which is when the cruise card picture is taken) before their tour.

Yeah, that's why I said if time allows. It would be nice, but might cut it a bit short. Depends on how many are waiting to board and when they start the process, how quickly it moves, etc. ;)

We had a tour which included a bus from Anchorage. The tour company delivered our luggage to the ship for us. Our PWS tour came back about 5. NO ONE checking in, we were on the ship in 5 minutes or less. Our luggage was in the room waiting for us. The Princess train arrived later. This was the best setup! Have a wonderful trip to Alaska!

I'm cruising the Sapphire Princess next July.

The ship departs at 8:30.

I was thinking of doing a PWS cruise that comes back around 5:30.

As a first-time cruiser, is this recommended? Should I try to board the ship earlier? Would I be missing out anything if I board late?

The next day we're scenic cruising Hubbard Glacier from 3-8pm.

What is a PWS cruise? Is it a tour company or what? How do you book them?

We did this before our cruise on the Coral and it worked perfectly! We dropped our bags off at the Princess white tents and then went on the PWS cruise. Got off at about 5:00 - walked right thru the embarkation - no lines and our bags were in our room waiting on us. The cruise is literally right next to the Coral dock! Great way to spend the afternoon and saw great wildlife and glaciers! Enjoy! Also use the 2 for one coupon book and save a lot of money!

We did the Major Marine tour in August, 2012. It was phenomenal - the perfect start to our Alaska adventure (we didn't do the land tour). We took the train from Anchorage - there are porters for the various cruise ships right at the train station to take all your luggage, including carry on, to the ship. We didn't check in to Princess until we got back at around 5, and all our luggage was waiting there for us.

It was fabulous!

My husband and I did the Southbound Alaska cruise last summer. We always enjoy boarding as early as possible so arrived at the cruise terminal at 11:00. The check-in agents had just arrived, too!! They are bussed in from Anchorage for the day, so they aren't prepared to check people in until the designated time of 12:30. At 12:15 they accepted drop off of luggage, and we were able to check in. At 12:30, security opened for embarking passengers (they had already been open for in transit passengers and crew). Whittier is a very small port, so it's true that your excursion boat will be moored very close to the ship. Most doing that excursion will have either just disembarked the ship or, like you, are embarking, so many will be in the same situation. I do think 7:00 is playing it close, so do try to drop your luggage off first. If that doesn't work, let the crew of the excursion know you need to verify that you will be back in time to board the ship. Enjoy; this cruise is fabulous!

We will be boarding the Island Princess in June after a 7 day land tour portion of our cruise-tour and will be arriving by train from Mt. McKinley. We did this in 08 also.

If you tour is not booked through Princess and it is late getting back then the ship could leave with out you. If it is booked via Princess they will know where you are and will wait. I've seen this a number of times on our Alaska trips. We are taking a PWS excursion on our land tour portion starting and ending at Copper River. Twelve hour day and is booked through Princess.

Previous Cruises

Island Princess – 2008 Alaska

Island Princess – 2009 Alaska (B2B)

Royal Princess – 2010 Alaska

Golden Princess – 2011 Alaska

Coral Princess – 2012 Panama Canal

Star Princess – 2012 Alaska

Upcoming Cruises

Island Princess – 2013 Alaska

Caribbean Princess – 2013 Western Caribbean (4 Day)

Archived