Pay Off Before Final Payment Date...Good or Bad?

Dave08

So I was thinking about going ahead and paying off our cruise that the final payment isn't due until sometime in September (we sail on Dec 7, 2013). I have the extra money now and would just like to go ahead and pay for it and then not have to worry about it.

My question is, if I do pay it off early and the price drops, do I get a refund of what I have already paid or do they just offer OBC or an upgrade? I did not book Early Saver. We booked back a couple of months ago when they were running 50% reduced deposit and $200 OBC.

I realize by paying off early, I am potentially losing interest I could be earning on the money in savings or some other interest bearing account and giving Carnival their cut early, but I like the idea of just not having to worry about it. Any other downsides to paying off early? Thanks!

I would pay it off now, and if there is a price drop you will get obc, up until final payment is due.

I pay ours off asap, that way i tell hubby nope cant cancel its all paid for :D

I also prepay gratuities and buy drink coupons and excursions in advance. I would rather pay it now, then have a big sail and sign at the end of the cruise!!

I would pay it off now, and if there is a price drop you will get obc, up until final payment is due. :confused: :confused:

I pay ours off asap, that way i tell hubby nope cant cancel its all paid for :D

I also prepay gratuities and buy drink coupons and excursions in advance. I would rather pay it now, then have a big sail and sign at the end of the cruise!!

Are you sure :D

So I was thinking about going ahead and paying off our cruise that the final payment isn't due until sometime in September (we sail on Dec 7, 2013). I have the extra money now and would just like to go ahead and pay for it and then not have to worry about it.

My question is, if I do pay it off early and the price drops, do I get a refund of what I have already paid or do they just offer OBC or an upgrade? I did not book Early Saver. We booked back a couple of months ago when they were running 50% reduced deposit and $200 OBC.

I realize by paying off early, I am potentially losing interest I could be earning on the money in savings or some other interest bearing account and giving Carnival their cut early, but I like the idea of just not having to worry about it. Any other downsides to paying off early? Thanks!

This has nothing to do with whether or not you pay it off early but keep in mind that you got $200OBC when you booked so if the price goes down $50pp and they are no longer offering the OBC you will probably lose the $200 OBC.

Bill

Use A travel agent It does not cost one penny more to use one period !!! And ask he or she there advice cause carnival is making in the reg, cruisers eyes stupid changes (I am fixing to be murdered for that statement)so not in all cases it would be smart to pay off early but in some it would be like my mother paid hers off early now have 262$ obc cause she did and price dropped . I had never used a Ta before but with new changes we did and it paid off big and not no a penny more spent !!!

Hey bill,

I'm confused.. I'm booked early saver, have had a price drop, fortunately still see my obc. Are u saying if I see another price drop, I should make sure they don't take my obc away? How do u know if u just apply for the savings with the online form? I did not think obc had any effect on price drops?

Hey bill,

I'm confused.. I'm booked early saver, have had a price drop, fortunately still see my obc. Are u saying if I see another price drop, I should make sure they don't take my obc away? How do u know if u just apply for the savings with the online form? I did not think obc had any effect on price drops?

No not at all.

The OP said they got $200 OBC for booking their cruise.

It sounds like you got your OBC from price drops so they are not the same.

If you book and pay $500 and get a $200 OBC at time of booking and prices drop a month later when the same sale is over and you want the price drop in essence what CCL is doing is cancelling your cruise and booking a new one with a new confirmation but same booking #. They call it refaring your cruise.

It doesn't affect OBC you got from previous price drops.

I hope somebody can come along and explain it better and simpler than I.

Bill

Hey bill,

The OP did not book early saver so to get a price drop they may need to accept the terms and conditions of the new offer, which may mean that they lose the OBC from the first offer.

Back when banks were paying a respectable interest rate on savings, it was worth it to hold on to your money until the final payment date.

We have a separate cruise savings account. With over $2500 in it when we paid off our next cruise, we were making 25 cents a month on interest. I'd rather pay it off and not have to worry about it.

Why should Carnival, or anyone else for that matter, have the use of YOUR money interest-free for nine months? :confused:

My thoughts exactly! ;) We pay off our cruises and other pre-paid vacations like Disney, right before their due. I'd rather the money sit in my account than theirs.

I would recommend what we do here. We have a dedicated vacation account. We let the money sit there until it has to be paid. The main reason that we do this is because IF we had to cancel, then that money is liquid in our account. If it was with Carnival, it would take at least a couple of weeks to get refunded - or processed through travel insurance...

We have our accounts linked so that we can go online and drag and drop funds from our regular account to our vacay account. Makes it easy and is always a reminder to save something away for relaxation and fun :D

I would recommend what we do here. We have a dedicated vacation account. We let the money sit there until it has to be paid. The main reason that we do this is because IF we had to cancel, then that money is liquid in our account. If it was with Carnival, it would take at least a couple of weeks to get refunded - or processed through travel insurance...

We have our accounts linked so that we can go online and drag and drop funds from our regular account to our vacay account. Makes it easy and is always a reminder to save something away for relaxation and fun :D

Ours is a money market account. All our credit card "points" money goes here. And in 2012 I kept track of coupons I used...depositing that savings ($519!!) here too.

Funds are used for vacations ONLY!

Peg

I appreciate all of the responses and different points of view. I did like the point that was made about if we had to cancel then the money is still in my account and not tied up with Carnival for however long it takes to be refunded.

I am not sure what I will end up doing, but you all have given me a lot to think about. Thanks for all of the advice!!

If you want to just leave a small balance. I had one because I upgraded my cabin and didn't pay the difference. My first two price drops my remaining balance was reduced. After I paid it I got OBC.

Sent from my LePanII using Tapatalk 2

Why should Carnival, or anyone else for that matter, have the use of YOUR money interest-free for nine months? :confused:

Nine months at 25 cents a month interest...let's see, that figures out to $2.25 gained if they don't pay it off now. Hardly worth worrying about. The OP said they have the money now. I'd say pay it now and then they won't have to worry about where the money is coming from when final payment is due.

Archived